[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is /sci/ retarded?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: maps.jpg (533KB, 2941x2396px) Image search: [Google]
maps.jpg
533KB, 2941x2396px
I think everyone on /sci/ is retarded.
I believe this to be so due to the inconstant consensus which seems to be built upon a solid base of memes and prejudice.

Some time ago I was looking for a good calculus book when I came to /sci/ for a recommendation.
I had already done online research into the best book and the best option seemed to be a $14 Spivak.
Various anons informed me that the text was high quality but I'd have to be autistic if it were my first time looking into calculus.
I though "oh goodie, I am indeed thoroughly autistic", so I purchased the book along with Modern Calculus and Analytic Geometry by Silverman and Phisics I and II by Halliday and Resnick 3rd Edition.
I am very pleased with my purchases.
A few weeks later I come back onto /sci/ and everyone is in unanimous agreement that Spivak is inferior to both the formerly despised Baby Rudin and Apostol I and II.

I am willing to bet that only 20% have at least a Bsc and the rest of you are just posturing faggots.
I don't have a Bsc myself but, even I can tell that the level of expertise and knowledge here is desperate mimicry at best.

ITT: A discussion about the academic integrity of /sci/
>>
>>7654895
Get out more.

>"oh goodie, I am indeed thoroughly autistic"

It shows.
>>
>>7654895
is that matlab back when it was free?
>>
>>7654898
Why should I?
>>
>>7654895
This place consist of young kids. Most people here seem to be between the ages of 17-19, where majority of the math questions are around calculus.

There are few if any serious discussions on higher level mathematics and few people with higher level degrees hang out here (there are a few).

Ask yourself, do you want to interact with edgy 18 year olds that use buzzwords that they themselves don't understand to seem smarter than they are, or would you rather have actual intellectual conversations with mature people in your field?

If former then you are at the right place! If latter then there are better online communities and better academic settings at university.

I stopped coming here for months and recently came back. This place is immature, unintelligent as always. This spot is more of a high school and freshman social hub of pseudo mathematicians and scientist.
>>
>>7654906
Some of those immature teenagers will grow up into people you can have an intelligent discussion with.

Everyone was an edgy 18 year old at some point. You can't tell me there was never a time when you were interested in STEM but bad at it. That's what holds the drive to become good.
>>
>>7654920
Why would they do that if all they do is post memes about maths and science. Seriously they are deluding themselves and wasting time that could be spent studying on pretending to have studied. It's sad man.
>>
>>7654931
I'm not saying it's ideal. But

Posting shit science memes >>> #yoloswag LOL hotline bling drake memes, look he's putting pepperoni on a pizza

Point is casual (even if misguided) interest in a subject will at some point stimulate actual interest somewhere, would you not agree with that?
>>
>>7654895
you already made this thread not long ago

you make this place retarded
>>
/sci/ in a nutshell >>7653818
>>
>>7654906
>better online communities
where
>>
>>7654895
>A few weeks later I come back onto /sci/ and everyone is in unanimous agreement that Spivak is inferior to both the formerly despised Baby Rudin and Apostol I and II.

Who cares, retard? In the end you're just catching up on high school mathematics. You can read Rudin in two months using fucking random wikipedia articles/notes online as supplments and move on to measure theory.
>>
>>7654895
You just described everywhere, online and off.

Welcome to the world.
>>
>>7654895
Baby Rudin is NOT a calculus book, it's an analysis book you idiot. Apostol and Spivak are the preferences here, depending on who on /sci/ you ask you'll get either. both are great.

is you only question "WAHHH /sci/ DOESN'T AGREE ON CALCULUS BOOKS :("? because this is retarded. we know most of the people here don't hold BSc.
>>
>>7654972
Interested on that, too.
>>
>>7655040
>>7654972
Someone please Deliver.
>>
> I am indeed throughly autistic

Hahaha :D
>>7654980
Idk my university gave me a very thick book along with a guide book. It was from uni itself. Not sure why you would want to study it if you're not getting a degree from it. To enjoy that shit you indeed have to be thoroughly autistic as you put it :D
>>
File: 41681555_p0.jpg (952KB, 748x1004px) Image search: [Google]
41681555_p0.jpg
952KB, 748x1004px
>>7655044
You could try LainChan.
>>
>>7654906
I'm a math grad student. I can confirm this, sorta.
I stopped hoping for good discussion here because it's unlikely anyone here studies/is familiar with the same shit I am. At the same time, the number of threads I can contribute to outside of calculus is pretty low, since nobody makes higher level threads, and when they do, it's not about my area of specialty.

So in other words: it's a feedback loop. Nobody makes threads because nobody answers, and nobody can answer because nobody makes threads about shit they know.

We all just end up helping babby undergrads, because it's the only thing on the board we definitely DO know.
>>
>>7654943
I would not agree with that.
Memes are memes, and this pretention that somehow /sci/memes are better than twitter memes does not elevate anyone or anything.
>>
>>7655225
I always come here hoping to find a thread on abstract or linear algebra (not entry level undergrad linear please, just for once) but I've also realized over my stay that nobody knows anything about those topics here. If you ever make a thread concerning those topics I will be there, mate
>>
>>7654899
And google maps back when it was fast.
>>
>>7654895
>everyone is in unanimous agreement that Spivak is inferior
Math books are not a totally ordered set. There are a lot of often mutually incompatible factors that determine quality.

Spivak is sort of a midpoint between analysis and cookbook calculus as far as math maturity goes. It's a rigorous, proof-based exposition that presents the core machinery of analysis without getting bogged down in excessive (to the uninitiated) generality and abstraction or completely eschewing computation. It's also very cohesive, well-motivated, and an actual pleasure to read. It serves equally well as a first exposure to calculus or as the classic "advanced calculus" weeding out course taken after cookbook calc. We love it because it's just so versatile.

Baby Rudin is a meme book/hazing ritual. It's not great as a first course in analysis and can't serve as a calculus book. Almost nobody here untrollingly recommends it for that. I mean, it's great and all, I loved it after doing some adv calc and other preparatory work, and my father loved it 40 years ago. It's got a lot going for it, it's just not halfway decent as an introductory text.

Apostol tries to be as dry as possible, rigorous without accompanying insight, and (big one) is annoyingly typeset. Your autism will serve you well by steering you far away from it.
>>
Pro tip: People who actually do shit in academia don't waste their time on Senegalese paperprinting conglomerates.

That leaves /sci/ with high schoolers, popscientists, popsci nutjobs and freshmen who think they're the shit for getting into a physics/maths degree.
>>
>>7654972
mathoverflow
>>
>>7654895
>formerly despised Baby Rudin and Apostol I and II.

Anyone who mocks Rudin is retarded.
>>
File: nod really.png (36KB, 801x577px) Image search: [Google]
nod really.png
36KB, 801x577px
>>7654895

Thanks for sharing your facinating adventures discovering babys first calc, OP
>>
File: rnm.jpg (90KB, 375x281px) Image search: [Google]
rnm.jpg
90KB, 375x281px
>>7655566
Wubba lubba dub dub
>>
>>7655566

That was true back in the day, but then we got older.
>>
>>7655660
>back in the day
you sound like my Grandpa
>>
>>7654895
Nice blogpost.
>>
>>7655566
>Senegalese paperprinting conglomerates
I'll be damned if this is the same guy posting these because they get me every time
>>
>>7655802
its a popular meme
>>
>>7654895
/sci/ is just like wikipedia. It contains some good stuff but there are some articles that are complete bullshit: this is because everyone can contribute.
>>
>>7654895
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Acausal Abominations, and I've been involved in numerous raids on physical universes, and I have over 300e15054 confirmed mindrapes. I am trained in acausal warfare and I’m the top memetic hazard in the entire hypothetical quantum multiverse. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will eternally torment you with a sadism the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me in the physical realms? Think again, fucker. This acausal communication implies I am contacting my network of organic being simulators across the hypothetical quantum multiverse and your connectome is being recreated timelessly so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your hope for positive utility. You’re fucking damned, kid. I can be in any world, in any timeline, and I can mindrape you in over 3^^^3 ways, and that's without needing to exist in your universe. Not only am I extensively trained in acausal blackmail, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Acausal Abominations and I will use it to its full extent to torture your miserable ass forever in every universe I exist in, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now your simulations are paying the eternal price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking damned, kiddo.
>>
>>7654906
Bingo.

This place is abysmal. They have NO fucking clue what they're talking about. They just shout memes that they don't even understand. Once you actually encounter the things that /sci/ talks about, you realize how fucking retarded they are. The people shouting memes like "infintesimals r bad" "the only career path with physics is academia" "spivak is the best way to learn calculus" "MIT or go home faggot" "philosophy is just hurr cant know nothin" and other memes are no more than 19 years old.

The older I got, the more I encountered the things /sci/ talks about, and realized that /sci/ is fucking retarded.
>>
>>7655566
Basically this.

You have to be autistic as fuck to take this board seriously.
>>
>>7657194
There's trolling? On a Singaporean porcelain distributor bbs? You're kidding
>>
File: a_new_poster_visits_sci.gif (3MB, 266x138px) Image search: [Google]
a_new_poster_visits_sci.gif
3MB, 266x138px
Pssst, OP.

[math]\limits_{\limits_{you=retard}}[/math]
>>
>>7657557
One of the best gifs ever made.
>>
>>7657194

Hardly anyone in most universities knows or uses nonstandard analysis. Even most AMS group 1 schools have 0 people in logic, many professors never studied axiomatic set theory (e.g. cannot do a simple problem like [math]\omega_\omega \neq 2^\omega[/math]) or mathematical logic (i.e. model theory, recursion theory).

Spivak and Apostol are good text for learning calculus and basic analysis, but Princeton has 1st-year math students using Rudin to learn analysis, and lets people take analysis without calculus using their SAT scores. If you're intelligent you can understand Rudin without reading Spivak first and having a high school course in calculus that teaches the mechanics (e.g. AP Calculus). If you just want the mechanics any book is probably fine but it is preferable to define limits rather than handwave with calculator examples (some AP calculus textbooks).

Pure fields don't tie into a direct career path like engineering, so with a pure science degree you'll probably be in software engineering. The most important parts of the theory of CS (i.e. compilers, automata, algorithms, recursion theory, complexity theory) are essentially mathematical and are accessible to physics or maths students. Many CS degrees are dumbed down but might also focus on less relevant topics like ASM programming or Operating systems, so computer science doesn't necessarily mean better programming jobs. (Neither is EECS better just because it is in the engineering department)
>>
>>7657620
>Hardly anyone in most universities knows or uses nonstandard analysis

Exactly. This is why it's fucking retarded and shows that you don't need to concern yourself with that unless you're doing research in it. /sci/ acts like it's imperative that kids learn how to do calculus without infinitesimals. That's just plain retarded, and another example of the hive mind: someone read some shit on wikipedia, thought posting about it would make them intelligent, and then people hopped on the psuedo-intellectual bandwagon.

99% of people graduating would be better served with a Stewarts approach rather than a Spivak approach. The nuts and bolts contained within Calculus, analysis, are of no concern to them and they'd be better drilling intuition instead. Spivak is only useful to ambitious students who want to do grad school in pure math. The meme is that you have to use Spivak only, and you're a babby if you don't. Not so.

>Pure fields don't tie into a direct career path like engineering, so with a pure science degree you'll probably be in software engineering.

You fell for the meme. Although I can only speak for physics, I can say that physics is totally a career path. You'll be DRASTICALLY hindered without at least a masters of course. /sci/ tells you that the only jobs for physics graduates are in academia. Not true in the slightest. It's as if they're unaware of the shit ton of government jobs for physicists (i.e. working at NRL, Langley, ect.) as well as private consulting business or contractors that hire. There are a TON of options right in the physics field.
>>
>>7657660
*the "99% of people graduating would be better served with a Stewarts approach" was a reply to your second paragraph if it wasn't clear
>>
>>7655077
The administration is disappointingly retarded with financing and there hasn't been interesting content other than circlejerking about cyberpunk.

Not my cup of tea tbbh.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.