[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

stupid question, please answer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: smelt-01.jpg (64KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
smelt-01.jpg
64KB, 800x533px
Gallium metal has a melting point of about 30 degrees C.
Galinstan metal has a melting point of about -19 degrees C.
If I melted these two metals and mixed them, would they bond into a metal with the melting point of about 5.5 degrees C?

I mean just by allowing them to melt and mixing them in a container. And not adding any extra heat above 30 degrees.
>>
Bump for answer
>>
>>7653921
It can have different melting points depending on how the crystal structure of the alloy is.
>>
>>7653921
Silly you, Galinstan is an alloy of Gallium and some other stuff.
>>
File: 779212_1311160703559_full.png (542KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
779212_1311160703559_full.png
542KB, 800x600px
>>7654004
Thank you, Could you possibly tell me why (Ga 75.5, In 24.5) has a melting point of 15°C which is lower than both of its components.

(Ga) has a melting point of 29.8°C and (In) has a melting point of 156.6°C
>>
Mixing metals gives you different alloys. Galinstan is a alloy containing Gallium, Tin, Lead, Indium and Stannum.
>>
How come universities like UCSD, UCLA, etc get all the press when it comes to things like rallies and such, but state schools like CSU Long Beach, CSU Fullerton, etc do not? How come the news media favors universities compared to state schools?
>>
>>7654354
>why do people care more about more prestigious universities

>>
What is calc 3?

I took two semesters of calc so far. First one is derivatives and then getting started on integrals. Calc 2 was integration by parts and other integration methods, along with series and sequences and some multi-variable shit towards the end.

The what is calc 3? Is it the same thing as linear algebra?
>>
>>7654400
overview of basic results and methods in elementary linear algebra, along with multivariable calculus, going up to vanilla-calculus versions of stoke's theorem
>>
2 = e^rt

How do I get the function t(r) while still keeping the function exponential?
>>
>>7654035
>Sodium has a melting point of 370 K.
>Chlorine hasa a melting point of 170 K.
>If I mix sodium and chlorine to form sodium chloride, would it have a melting point of 270 K?
Forming compounds of different elements can drastically change their properties, they don't simply have average properites of both elements. In metals, the atoms are arranged to form a close-packing of spheres, when forming alloys, this isn't possible anymore, so you get a less dense arrangement, which will melt earlier, as with bigger atom-atom distances, the attractive forces get weaker.
For sodium and chloride it is even more drastic, since they are charged, while the elemts are not, so their attraactive forces are greatly increased.
>>
>>7654565
2/(e^r) = t
>>
>>7653921
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eutectic_system
>>
>>7653921
Yes and no. They may stay together, but if one metal is noble and the other is not noble, it will have Galvanic Corrosion when exposed to oxygen or other elements.
>>
Can you breath in tetanus?

It snowed here, and I was using a broom and I got dirt (thought it was poo) on my sleeve, and briefly breathed it in. It has been 3 days but I haven't felt anything. I worked out hard yesterday so my muscles are tired, but I don't know if that could mean anything, whenever I do the workout I did I feel tired. I want to know if tiredness is a symptom of it. Also, my jaw has been slacking open when I don't pay attention, but that may have been happening for awhile and I haven't noticed since I didn't pay attention.
>>
>>7653921
Melting point would be less than -19. Pure species (almost) always has a higher melting point than mixtures of which it is a component.

Generally any impurity shifts the lattice structure and lowers the melting point.

I'm assuming you meant an equimolar mixture.
>>
>>7654354
>CSUFag detected

Your school sucks m8. Even an autistic 3-toed howling monkey can get in. UC Davis master race all the way
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.