[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It is a long shot, but someone might can point me to sources.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: wine.jpg (19KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
wine.jpg
19KB, 300x400px
It is a long shot, but someone might can point me to sources.

tldr, grapes, grape juice, wine

is wine superior to grapes and grape juice from a health pov?

Also I'm interested in the health benefits of wine without the drawbacks of alcohol. I know there are alcohol free wines out there, but it is almost impossible to buy them here. So I'm interested in making alcohol free wine by removing alcohol from it.
I guess I could achieve this by simply boiling it long enough (e.g. mulled wine), as ethanols boiling point is lower than water, but would it destroy the beneficial compounds too / make them harmful?
How long should I boil and how could I test the alcohol content of the resulting mixture? What other household methods are there to remove alcohol?

I don't really care if it not really tastes like wine in the end.
>>
>>7652888

It's much better than grape juice, which is basically just sugar water, but probably worse than grapes.

However, it also lasts much much longer than grapes do because alcohol is a preservative.

All told, red wine is good for you in moderation.
>>
>>7652888
>is wine superior to grapes and grape juice from a health pov?
No. Any benefit of wine can easily be found in myriad other sources.
>>
>>7652897
please give some examples, still it would be not bad if you could drink wine too

>>7652894
I mean grape juice made from grapes, not bought from the grocery store. Somewhere I read fermentation adds valuable nutrients to the mix.
>>
Wine bought in most shops is a whole lot more than just wine. There is an absolutely huge selection of permitted additives which also explains why wine tastes rather similar today no matter the brand while just 20 years ago the variations were much greater.

You can get organic red wine and you will quickly see and taste the difference. For a starter it is a lot paler. Also if you have a little allergy the normal wine can give you a mildly runny nose while the organic will not.

The colouring is actually from blueberries. And blueberries themselves are very rich in anti oxidants. And this explains why red wine stains are as hard to remove as blueberry stains: it is the same colour agent.

TL;DR: eat blueberries instead.
>>
File: polyphenols.png (72KB, 1024x916px) Image search: [Google]
polyphenols.png
72KB, 1024x916px
>>7652888
Both have polyphenols.

The biggest difference between the two is one has ethanol, and one does not. Wine will most likely have more calories than 100% grape juice. Another thing to consider is whether or not the manufacturer has added sugar to the grape juice. Wine generally has less sugar than grape juice.

ethanol 7 calories/gram
sugar 4 calories/gram

Overall, the wine will have more calories than the grape juice (assuming it is 100%).

My guess is the health effects are pretty much the same between the two as long as the wine is consumed in moderation, and it is not a fortified wine.

Also, found this:
http://www.atherosclerosis-journal.com/article/S0021-9150%2800%2900625-0/abstract
>>
>>7652915
>fermentation adds valuable nutrients to the mix.
NO
>>
>>7652927
>the color of wine comes from blueberries

What
>>
>>7654217
The color of orange comes from grapefruit.
>>
>>7652888
FYI some the resveratrol research was fraudulent
http://retractionwatch.com/2013/10/04/dipak-das-dies-at-67/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipak_K._Das
>>
>>7654198
>Wine will most likely have more calories
>than 100% grape juice.
A two-minute online search confirms your guess.
wine : 3.62kJ/g
grape juice : 2.51kJ/g
Now guess the source of that additional 44% energy.
>>
>>7654440
I'll never understand why people think the caloric content of an alcoholic beverage is at all meaningful. Really, you give a shit why?

"Oh if I switch from potato vodka, rum, and beer to something like gin, I can keep guzzling soda and eating sugar laced garbage "food" for all my meals! And I won't have to exercise!"

That's probably not the actual logic, but really. It's fucking booze, how much of it are you really going to be consuming for caloric content to have any bearing beyond a curiosity?
>>
>>7654467
>I'll never understand caloric content
... because stupid.
>>
>>7654643
Nice answer. Solid.
>>
>>7654644
>unable to guess the source of that additional 44% energy
... because ignorant.
>>
>>7654693
Solid reading comprehension.
Pro parsing.
Extreme meaning extraction.
Very impressed.
>>
>>7654198
that is very interesting. Btw is there anyone who pays $30 to access a pdf for 24h?

The thing with wine, you always have to add moderation to the mix because of ethanol, but it should be consumed more often for its benefits, hence this thread.

How stable are these polyphenols? Would they be destroyed by heating over the boiling point of alcohol?

>>7654202
maybe not so valuable but there are surely byproducts of fermentation?
>>
>>7652888
>household methods to remove alcohol

Sad to say, there really aren't any. Miscible solutions like ethanol in water have a single boiling point between that of the pure mixtures depending on the ratio of composition, so at, say 12% ABV, 88% of what you're boiling off is water.

Fractional distillation (slow temp increases, long cooled column) tries to solve this by cooling the higher boiling vapor to a liquid and returning it,to the system (this is used to make distilled spirits.)

I'd say best is not to get hung up on the alcohol unless you're muslim/mormon/alcoholic/underage. Drinking moderately (3 drinks or fewer / 70kg) isn't at all dangerous and iirc part of the health claims have to do with heightened liver activity. Either way, you're probably overestimating the health benefits of wine. You'd need to drink unhealthy amounts to get the levels of resveratrol that were investigated - there's simply no good evidence behind those claims for wine consumption. Kinda like the Turmeric Cures Depression sensationalism a while back where investigators beat prozac with 1000 mg doses of circumin (which would require you to eat >35 grams of raw turmeric.)

The best thing to do is educate yourself on basic concepts and research methodology, then pore over the primary literature. Don't let anyone who isn't a scientist do science for you. Sensationalism and disinformation are big industries.
>>
>>7654871
Fermentation is
glucose -> ethanol + CO2
>>
>>7654198
Additionally, the perceived or reported health benefits of red wine arise from a number of other different compounds present such as tannins, anthocyanins and stuff. I'm sure research is widelty available I'm just too lazy to look it up.
>>
>>7652894
unfortunately for you, I am moderating it
>>
>>7655479
I believe that is correct. How should I interpret this

Tryptophol, a chemical compound found in wine[12] or in beer[13] as a secondary product of alcoholic fermentation[14] (a product also known as congener)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fermentation#Byproducts_of_fermentation

what does secondary byproduct mean?

>>7655471
I'm not particularly interested in resveratrol, but believe there is some truth in the French paradox. Otoh, I'm mainly interested in the cholesterol lowering properties of wine. I understand a little alcohol is not harmful (although it is a carcinogen), or indeed beneficial, I would like to drink wine whenever I feel like it.
That is valuable information though, thanks.
>>
those sulfites though
>>
>>7654217
Sure. There is a huge export of blueberries from Scandinavian countries to France. Juice from blueberries is actually red. Just pour some into a glass of water and compare colours. Organic red wine is pale red and rather translucent. Modern industrial non-organic is like ink.
>>
>>7654467
fatty detected
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.