[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the difference between a Psychopathy and Sociopathy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: elevator.gif (984KB, 500x315px) Image search: [Google]
elevator.gif
984KB, 500x315px
What is the difference between a Psychopathy and Sociopathy?
Often I've seen the terms used interchangeably, but on the other and I see some people stressing on the fact that are not the same thing.
>>
>>7652810

one is a meaningless term used by the APA to bank on victims of a corrupt justice system

the other is a meaningless term used by the APA to bank on victims of a corrupt justice system

psychology would be almost as useful as astrology, except that gravitational waves produced by stellar objects is real and any purported objective description of what goes on inside your head that doesn't take into account external factors is not
>>
>>7652810
Psychopaths are supposed to be more organized and harder to spot. Also they tend to be born with it as opposed to being a victim of child abuse or something.
>>
>>7652836
>psychology would be almost as useful as astrology, except that gravitational waves produced by stellar objects is real and any purported objective description of what goes on inside your head that doesn't take into account external factors is not
i kek'd, thanks anon.
>>
>>7652836
>astrology
didn't you mean astronomy?
>>
>>7652879

no I meant astrology, I was joking about how astrology is at least partly true in that the motions of celestial bodies affect us in some way gravitationally however negligible
>>
>>7652810
Same thing, different times. The correct word now is antisocial identity disorder
>>
>>7652810
>Psychopathy

Psychosis, known colloquially as insanity. You see more homeless psychopaths.

>Sociopathy

See psychopathy, sans the psycho part. You see more sociopathic CEOs.
>the motions of celestial bodies affect us in some way gravitationally however negligible
>The moon doesn't matter that much

ok
>>
>>7652886
I feel bad for not getting it at first, 10/10 I'd still laugh after the explanation

About the gravitational waves, IIRC proof of the phenomena hasn't been found yet despite being an expected consequence of the Relativity Theory and we even have the devices to detect this wave should it pass
>>
>>7652810

I thought the sociopaths main trait was that they literally had a social pathology. That is a severely stunted or inability to form the same social bonds/ emotionally internalize the rules of their social circumstances.

That is to say ones direct plan for self action/want is the primary concern over all others even to the exclusion of others basic wellbeing(to an extant no acceptable by the society from which the individual hails).

(Where as in a normal person a significant chunk of ones own desires/wants revolves around fulfilling the perceived needs/wants/expectations of others)
>>
>>7652810
>I see some people stressing on the fact that are not the same thing.
Arguing over hair-splitting points is one of the ways people pretend that their field isn't total bullshit.

It's like cargo cultists insisting that the runway lights be made of clay pots, not coconuts.

Being fussy about details is what real experts do that's superficially obvious and recognizeable by a layman, so it's something fake experts do to look like real experts.
>>
>>7653772
>It's like cargo cultists insisting that the runway lights be made of clay pots, not coconuts.
That's a pretty good analogy.

>>7652810
Actually neither term is used anymore as they've been replaced with a rather more opaque 'antisocial personality disorder'
>>
>>7652899
/thread

"psychopath" is a legal word
>>
>>7652903
Agree with that.
Psychopathy: Psychosis
Sociopathy: Not a psychosis, same behavior as a psychopath but by choice, a psychopath manipulate people because he IS like this.
>>
>>7652836
psychology BTFO
>>
>>7652810
The definition changes too often, I don't know if they've ever even been "officially" defined.

Back in High School when I did a report on Anti-Social Personality Disorder, my research said (in it's simplest terms, this was YEARS ago) psychopaths have no empathy towards other humans and no fear of consequences, while sociopaths are similar but can still form bonds with specific humans.

Of course when I went to do the same report in college all of my sources were gone and/or changed.
>>
>>7654029
>Anti-Social Personality Disorder
It's kind of a synonym of psychopathy but the differences are in the behavior but also in the causes. A psychopath has a psychosis due to a trauma, a sociopath has this behavior because of his social environment, the society turned him into a sociopath.
>>
Anyone can be a sociopath. It's been identified as a kind of "switch". You put someone in one situation and they will have empathy. But you modify the situation, and that empathy can go away.

In a sociopath, the switch tends away from empathy, although it these are not mutually exclusive. It's also possible for the changes to manifest seasonally, or be comorbid with cycling mood disorders. It can also be brought about by certain drugs, amphetamines, and ironically anti psychotics.
>>
>>7654674
totally agree, nothing to add.
>>
Both lack empathy and guilt, express only emotions that appear superficial or opportunistic, and may have violent tendencies.

Whereas sociopaths' violence is mostly impulsive, psychopaths' is mostly instrumental.

Imagine a criminal gang. Sociopaths would be the rank and file. Psychopaths would be the leaders.
>>
>>7654669
A psychopath is not in psychosis, i.e. his reality testing is normal. Both sociopathy and psychopathy require major problems within their social environment. Certain type of upbringing in childhood is a clear risk factor when conduct disorders and callous-unemotional traits are also present.
>>
>>7652836
>doesn't take into account external factors
Terribly meme'd tbqh
>>
>>7654014
>>7652903
Another way to look at is that sociopaths are often aware of the fact that don't think the same way as is considered normal, which is why they are often able to use it to their advantage. Psychopathy usually results in the sufferer not knowing WHY people view them as strange.
>>
Someone told me that sociopaths lack empathy, whereas psychopaths are out of touch with reality.

Dunno how true this is, don't care either. I study actual shit.
>>
I love how every psych thread has at least one dysfunctional person who is incredibly butthurt about being diagnosed with something.
>>
>>7655212
>whereas psychopaths are out of touch with reality
They aren't.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.