[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Psychology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: psychology-books-dsm.jpg (522KB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
psychology-books-dsm.jpg
522KB, 3648x2736px
the science of labeling things
>>
>>7649698

Explain
>>
File: affects of drugs.jpg (605KB, 1053x588px) Image search: [Google]
affects of drugs.jpg
605KB, 1053x588px
>>7649698
Science: the art of labeling things.
Anyway med student who passed Psychology class with a C reporting in.
Ask away and I will answer it with my mediocre knowledge of the field.
>>
>>7649752
Do I Wana fugg my mom?
>>
File: Drugs Venn Diagram.gif (52KB, 962x711px) Image search: [Google]
Drugs Venn Diagram.gif
52KB, 962x711px
>>7649763
Haven't met her. My ID makes me want to fuck my mom while my superego say's I'd get in trouble.
I wish I could find my image of the online test I took where it asks which drug is a hallucinagen with the answers being A: marijuana B:MDMA C: LSD D:Cocaine
>>
File: Lewis_Madison_Terman[1].jpg (13KB, 240x300px) Image search: [Google]
Lewis_Madison_Terman[1].jpg
13KB, 240x300px
this psychologist labeled you as having an IQ of a moron. what do you do.
>>
File: AverageCommonCoreProblems.png (128KB, 544x316px) Image search: [Google]
AverageCommonCoreProblems.png
128KB, 544x316px
>>7649845
Show them the paper that proves I had an I.Q. of 115 leaving highschool
Or if I don't bluff and say the test was not an accurate measure of the combination of fluid and crystalized memory and call him a faggot for even being dumb enough to give out such skewed tests.

Or give the "If you measure a fish by it's ability to climb a tree it will spend it's whole life thinking it is dumb."
>>
File: 1384870380670.jpg (205KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1384870380670.jpg
205KB, 700x700px
>>7649845
Kinda reminds me of my professor telling me about Imperialists giving tribals I.Q. tests that were supposed to be culture free and them failing because they have never seen a circle.
>>
>>7649845
Fire him
>>
>>7649698

More like the science of making up shit:

>Jean Piaget
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw33CBsEmR4
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRF27F2bn-A

How can anyone watch that shit and not come away thinking he's a massive quack?
>>
File: nerds_grape_strawberry_1.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
nerds_grape_strawberry_1.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>go see a psychiatrist to figure out what's wrong with me
>"You have Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder"
>I ask her what's my prognosis
>with a deer-in-the-headlights look she hands me a box of pic related and sends me on my merry way
>>
>>7649845
I would just blink and carry on with my life. Maybe laugh a bit at him first.
>>
>>7651340
OCPD is one of the more functional personality disorders if it's any solace. Very good at jobs that require high levels of organization and fastidiousness. Consider a legal career.

Also, personality disorders are a crapshoot and I would never trust a single professional's opinion in regarding the diagnosis of personality disorder unless they have worked with the patient for multiple years and have an actual grasp on their patient's personality. It is not something that can be diagnosed with firmness after one session, or ten sessions. Personality inventories are extensive and do not offer firm diagnoses (mainly because human personality is complex and multifaceted, durr). When we diagnose a personality disorder we are stating that your personality contains a specific pattern of pathological traits that significantly interfere with your day to day life or functioning (or the day to day life and functioning of others). Personality disorders are rare and with one exception invariably difficult to treat because it requires the one thing a hot blooded human is most afraid of: change.

Which is why they are sparingly diagnosed, though this has been changing as of recent years. Your therapist seems inexperienced. She diagnosed you with a personality disorder, prematurely, I infer, and then reacted with panic when she assumed she was in over her head. Neither of these suggest a confident, skilled practitioner who has knowledge beyond the DSM's sacrosanct.
>>
>>7651365
>we
If you really are a psychologist (or even better a psychiatrist) how can I go about fixing my life when I have BPD. I was diagnosed with it 4 years ago after a suicide attempt by a therapist I had been seeing for a while, so for the sake helping me assume I actually do have it and it wasn't misdiagnosed.

What can I do if no combo of medicine has worked, I've tried every therapist in my city, I've gone through CBT, DBT, and group therapy. I've been hospitalized which ended up just making me feel much, much worse (in addition to hospital staff).

Right now I'm seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist (who specializes in addictions if that's relevant) and nothing seems to be helping even after years of treatment.

Am I fucked? It's to the point where I can't hold a job due to me starting drama, I can't finish school because I always end up deeply hating my teachers and myself for taking the classes, and I have absolutely no friends IRL due to driving them all away even though I am not an introvert and do go out frequently.

My most recent suicide attempt was less than 2 months ago and now I'm going to be left with like 6 nasty scars on my wrists and still no relief. It feels like it's getting worse not better.

I'm female if that matters. I am currently also having extremely suicidal thoughts with specific images of how I would do it.
>>
>>7651385
No, you're not fucked. We would have to determine how severely borderline your personality is (it is a broader diagnosis than most PDs, and it covers a broader phenotype than a typical PD as a result. It can also disguise cyclothymia or similar soft forms of bipolarity). There are borderlines who are impossible to work with, people who will rot you and your practice out if they can help it, cruel, manipulative, and without a shred of empathy under their nape (one Ph. D I keep contact with refuses to work with borderlines entirely for this reason), and then there's tormented individuals who were abused very harshly as a child and need a lot of help to make whole once more. If there was a 'whole' in the first place, some borderlines were abused from such an early age on that they never got the chance to develop beyond a rudimentary level before their pain. It is a condition that varies significantly in its presentation and severity, and this is why it it would be crucial to evaluate you before any professional recommendation.

I would take an inventory of medications you have been on prior, as well as family history of mental health dysfunction. I would want to know your dietary habits, your exercise routines, your sleep habits, your day to day hobbies. I would consult with those who have treated you prior and learn about your past therapy sessions.

Then, and only then, would I be able to devise something resembling a treatment plan.

However, I cannot do any of these things talking to you anonymously on 4chan, and it is tragic, because it does sound like you need a lot of help.

Was your hospitalization voluntary?
>>
>>7649698

>psychology
>a science
>>
>>7649698
It's just more of an art than a science. It's really hard to diagnose things because for the most part you're going off their word. Besides anyone who can prescribe medication will because they're being paid by drug companies to do so.

It's also a shit field because anything intensive that they do is basically neuroscience, which is a much better field.
>>
>>7651152
>entire first minute of the video is a disclaimer that he didn't use any real scientific methods

lol
>>
>>7651385
> suicide attempt
Why try to suicide if you're not going to succeed? I know it's a female pattern of suicide that you're going to be 4 times more likely to attempt suicide than a man but 4 times less likely to succeed with it.

If you want help, then go ask for help, the psychiatric machinery today is on the border of overdeveloped in order to help you.

If you want to die, then do it right and die.

People sucessfully hang themself with cat5 or usb cables, it's not a rocket science so a failed attempt really isn't an attempt at all in todays world. Get fucking help instead of doing dramatic moves. Anyone who really wanted to die did so already.
>>
>>7651432
>Impossible to work with
Me. continuously drop out of therapy and have written letters to supervisors/owners
>cruel, manipulative, no shred of empathy
I'm a very empathetic person and if you were to ask anyone about me they'd tell you I was nice. However, I have done evil things in the past and I don't know why. One incident was my best friend was writing her dad a happy birthday card and I grabbed it and ripped it in half. Literally no clue happened with me mentally. I also would honestly say I can get anyone to do anything I want and feel above them intellectually as if I were writing a book about them.
>tormented individuals who were abused very harshly as a child and need a lot of help to make whole once more
great childhood, but learned some things my dad did such as alcohol abuse and cheating on my mom. Mentally I don't really even think of him as a dad anymore. I'd say I was a whole person at one point.
>varies in presentation/severity
It has completely interrupted my ability to function. I've gone through periods of anorexia, overeating, cutting, destroying things I spent a long time building, and I believe myself to be so ugly that I'm being rude to people who see me and I cry most of the time I look in mirrors.

I'll respond with more in a minute because this is getting really long. I'm sorry /sci/ about the blog but I really need help because I am barely hanging on
>>
>>7651478

Why do crazy people do anything that they do? Borderlines do this kind of thing because they want to call attention to their suffering. Telling this lady that her suicide methods aren't effective is missing the point.
>>
>>7651432
the (you)

Medication history: I had no diagnosis until I was 18 and it was believed to be depression. I started on zyprexa, but secretly stopped taking them because your guess is as good as mine. I went through the rockies of friend trouble. As an example, I got a friend's boyfriend to sleep with me then I just stopped talking to both of them. That made me feel like a psychopath (I know that's a legal term). I also had a boyfriend who I was head over heels for and one day when he was over at my place and said he had to go (back to his frat) I stabbed myself in my hip in front of him and called him evil. He called the cops on me and I don't know who she was but that's when I got my BPD diagnosis after several sessions. Drop out (of therapy), try different, drop out and repeat. CBT, DBT, BLT, etc

When my mom found out that I had stopped going to any classes at my university (after I pretended to attend for about 2 months) she forced me to see a psychiatrist who, for post brevity, tried every anti-depressant/anxiety/psychotic med combo possible.

Two months ago I slit both of my wrists when I was angry and passed out. I woke up at the hospital, "fixed," and told I needed to go to the for lack of a better word "psych ward." Here I harassed and humiliated as many people as I possibly could including janitors, receptionists, doctors, and social workers all in plain view of all of the others there. I threatened to get a lawyer if they wouldn't release me. They released me. Now it's now and my current med combo is max dose welbutrin, max paxil, and xanax as needed (I abuse it recreationally with alcohol)

>>7651478
I feel scared I guess. Right now I am planning on weighting my feet and jumping into a body of water to drown to death. Where do I hang myself is the only real problem with that
>>
>>7651478
>If you want help, then go ask for help, the psychiatric machinery today is on the border of overdeveloped in order to help you.
can you give me more information on what you mean by this? I'm willing to try anything, but don't know what the term "psychiatric machinery" means

>>7651503
I'd like to think it wasn't for attention but I can't really self-diagnose or trust my thoughts. I have done harmful things that would never be traced back to me, so there was no attention as a reward but I did it anyway and all I feel is guilt about it but know i'll do it again
>>
>>7651523
I give you <2years before you succumb to alcohol/benzodiazepene combo. Unless YOU want help. No amount of other people prodding you can fix uou
>>
>>7651523
>zyprexa
I meant cymbalta i think. And I did take all of my medication with my new psychiatrist.
>>
>>7651538
are you the psychologist I was talking to? a large part of the problem is I sabotage any recovery effort and can go off alc/benz cold turkey so I wouldn't consider myself addicted to them
>>
>>7651523
I give you <2yrs before you succumb to alcohol/benzodiazepene combo. Only YOU can remedy yourself, no amount of other people prodding will help you unfortunately.
>>
>>7651542
Sorry for the dual post. And no, ive just seen friends and family go down your path. I am offering insight into what someone who is doing alot better today told me.
>>
>>7651538
>>7651543
thanks moot, but yea I do not feel in control of my behaviors and know that a large part of me doesn't want to recovery, especially considering i almost have constant suicidal thoughts

My perceived ugliness is why I have no hope. I will not be able to change my appearance, so I can never possibly see a future. I know I'm not full bat-shit but I feel angry and think people are lying to me about this. I've never been diagnosed with body dysmorphic disorder and I honestly don't want to be because there are objectively parts of my face's appearance that I would never want to live a full life with
>>
>science
Pfft, not when less than 50% of the studies can be replicated.
>>
>>7651550
>i think people are lying to me about this.

About what?

I would say Im sorry for what your going through with the looksand the dysmorphic disorder but you dont want pity. I can relate to the bdd though and its shitty, hows your voice? Is there anything physical about yourself thats not depres$ing?
>>
>>7651550

It sounds like you have autism, probably from being vaccinated as a child.
>>
>>7651545
>And no, ive just seen friends and family go down your path
with bpd or with alc/benz? I don't think I'm any sort of path with alc/benz or a downward spiral at all related to drug abuse.

This is a problem with most therapists I see. It feels so treat-the-symptom. Maybe I am a drug addict maybe I'm not, but that's irrelevant to my larger issues. at least I think so

>>7651563
lying about the way i look, yea. i usually get 7/10 when I frequently ask people to rate me. and as illogically as this sounds because I'm ill: I can't accept 7 and therefore think of myself as beyond repulsive or the most beautiful thing on the planet on rare occasions

voice fine, body fine. it's centered on my face
>>
>>7651564
This.
We should just live with polio, tb, and diptheria.
>>
>>7651567
>This is a problem with most therapists I see. It feels so treat-the-symptom. Maybe I am a drug addict maybe I'm not, but that's irrelevant to my larger issues. at least I think so

This is the rationalization of an addicted person. Benzos and drinking aren't just a symptom, they also make you feel like shit and prevent you from getting well.
>>
>>7651587
I've gone off of them cold turkey several times for as long as 6 months. Addiction is so over-romanticized despite being the easiest to treat
>>
>>7649698
Why did Freud and Psychoanalysts believed that if the person searched his subconscious and found the root of his problem he would get better? Does a cancer patient gets better when he is informed of the diagnosis? Which logical jump did Freud do justify his method?
>>
>>7651689
because it's the science of labeling things

all psychopharmacological studies are being started in board rooms and it's only going to get worse with the TPP
>>
>>7649845
>moron
Explain to him why he uses the word in the first place.
>>
>>7651340
not saying anything about psychology itself but I've dealt with psychiatrists like that before. they follow word to word and hold onto it
>>
>>7651689
to what would the person who searched his subconscious find about himself. like a cancer patient? i'm not sure if that was a follow up or you're comparing abnormal minds and cancer patients
>>
>>7649752
Excuse me but I was told by my marking rubrics that a C was satisfactory knowledge, not mediocre.
>>
>>7649752
Anybody who took a psychology class shouldn't answer any questions about the field in the first place.
>>
>>7651689
Freud thought that when suppressed traumatic feeling from childhood were relived in the present it would be easier to understand the nature of the suppressed feeling. CanĀ“t fix the problem before you know what it is.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.