[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Impending Doom?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Screwed.jpg (20KB, 478x308px) Image search: [Google]
Screwed.jpg
20KB, 478x308px
All my life, I've been super into animals and the idea of getting some hands-on job with wildlife in the field. Lately, however, whenever I say that I want to get a zoology degree, university graduates and university staff have given me the look one gives to a recruit in the 40's saying that war is going to be an "adventure". What hell have I gotten myself into?
>>
I volunteer at an aquarium, and really enjoy it. Everyone who works there seem to love their jobs. A lot of it for them is field work, going to rescue injured animals or do research or consult on fisheries management.

Anyway, you might try to do something like that? Volunteer or get a summer job with an organization, see if it suits you.

Bottom line is not to listen to other people too much. They're not you, and they don't like the things you like.
>>
I'd typically say you're fucked, but honestly, just start volunteering.
You'll find your place soon, friend.
>>
Just do what you want. If it sucks then bail, but you'll always regret if you didn't give it an honest try.
>>
OP here. Thanks for all the support guys, it's really comforting. I'm actually already working with the volunteer strategy. I haven't gotten a good response yet, but I've been sending emails to organizations and national parks in third world countries, asking if I could volunteer there for a few months. My post was more about the actual school work if getting a degree in zoology.
>>
>>7649440

* of getting
>>
>>7649398
That's possibly because lots of bio majors don't actually have what it takes to get out there and do the soul-crushing field research that area requires. To really be successful at it, expect to be wrist-deep in fish guts all day, or sitting waist-deep in a swamp in high temperatures week-in, week-out. Obviously it depends where you live and what your specialty is, but the field in general involves collecting large amounts of very tedious data and analyzing it in a lab or using computer models. That and/or getting your hands dirty, so it isn't for everyone. Most average people find that kind of stuff revolting, but there's nothing wrong with it if you don't have those prejudices and it's very interesting if you're committed enough to do that kind of stuff. That and a lot of people might say it doesn't have a high enough pay-off to make it worth it. But as others have said, don't listen to other people if it's what you truly love.
>>
>>7649440
Depends on the program. My recommendation - write a four year plan of classes you need to take to graduate on time. Does it looked cramped, or do you have a lot of room for electives? Which classes will delay your graduation if you need to retake? Is it possible to split up difficult classes between semesters? Share the plan with your advisor and professors teaching the classes. Does it make sense to them?

I did this and put together a plan that let me graduate a semester early while picking up a double minor.
>>
>>7649440
The school work is about the same for any biology program, you'll be required to take some math, usually up to calc I or calc II, plus all your chemistry and organic chemistry and all that fun stuff. In my experience that's why lots of liberal arts people are afraid of science courses, because they can't handle that level of math and chemistry, which isn't even that high compared to other majors. But it can be challenging for those not science-inclined.
>>
>>7649469

My only weakness is math. However, I found a university that doesn't require university math in order to get a biology-based degree,
>>
>>7649883

Please don't go there, we don't need any more retarded bio majors, you're the reason other fields question the rigour of biology research.
>>
>>7649883
Dude no. Work hard, you can learn calc 3. Do all the homework on time. Do them all over again before the test. Study and review for class. You WILL DO WELL. YOU WILL PASS. YOU MAY GET AN A. Anon you have to realize you can't take the path of least resistance and expect a good outcome. Analyzing data will have a lot more math than you think.
>>
>>7649973

Calc 3 is unrealistic for me, but I'll give the math courses a second glance since you insist.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.