[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is fire?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

File: Candles_.jpg (93KB, 968x625px) Image search: [Google]
Candles_.jpg
93KB, 968x625px
What is fire?
>>
what is google ?
>>
>>7643872
It's the souls of starving children being vented from the gates of hell.
>>
hot gas
>>
>>7643901
It's plasma u fuck
>>
>>7643872
Plasma produced by energy released from an oxidation reaction.
>>
File: 1410479080500.png (149KB, 441x385px) Image search: [Google]
1410479080500.png
149KB, 441x385px
>>7643964
>>7643993
>glowing soot is a plasma
>>
File: Fire_tetrahedron.svg.png (31KB, 270x260px) Image search: [Google]
Fire_tetrahedron.svg.png
31KB, 270x260px
>>7643872

oxidation on steroids
>>
Energy
>>
>>7644019
>fire is glowing soot

No m8, u wot
>>
>>7643964
>>7643901
It can be either. It's gas before plasma.
>>
Pure fire would be plasma, most normal fire(matches, candles, campfires) glows orange because of glowing soot though.
>>
>>7644019
>>7644192
This. Plasma would literally be ionized gas. So when it sends out light, i.e. an ion recombines with an electron, the energy released would be very large, so probably violet/uv. Red is much lower energy and is caused by glowing soot. The oxidation reaction itself is only blue, as can be seen from properly using a bunsen burner. To make a plasma from air, it has to be approx. 12E3 Kelvin, but regular gas just burns at 2E3 Kelvin at full (blue) combustion.
>>
>>7644226
Invisible fire sounds pretty scary, to be honest.
>>
There sure is some ionization going on an it thus will technically qualify as plasma, however in any industrial simulation (concerning cars, earospace, burners,...) the ionic stuff is in fact neglected because what matters is the energy release through the chemical reactions of neutral molecules and the processes that gives rise to photons and thus light you see is not why fire is of use.
>>
Phlogiston emissions
>>
>>7643872
The SOUL of GOD!
>>
File: 1438540199023.gif (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1438540199023.gif
3MB, 800x450px
>>7643872
these fucktards are getting you nowhere OP
in the simplest terms;
FIRE = the loosing of coherence
it's chaos from order
it's the release of the inherent energy of the fuel

heat and light, smoke, soot, etc... these are the byproducts and effects and residue

you may think of it as the reverse of creation
>>
>>7645832
>tfw posting on acid
>>
File: 1438540139144.gif (1MB, 480x288px) Image search: [Google]
1438540139144.gif
1MB, 480x288px
>>7645841
but am i WRONG?!
>>
>>7645852
Being wrong is being right.
>>
Watch the video where Feynman explains this.
>>
At -459F, particles are as close to motionless as possible. As they get hotter, the move apart. The protons and neutrons, as well as the electrons move further away from the center of gravity within the atom.

Once the electrons get far enough away, they begin to fly off for the same reason gravity gets lower the further from Earth's surface you get. They can continue knocking other electrons or other particles out of stable orbits, and this is why fire is contagious.

And what's in the atmosphere that burns very well? Oxygen! Oxygen will readily accept an electron, and in fact insists on doing this whenever possible. The flame on the candles in your picture is composed of atmospheric oxygen grabbing onto free electrons, as well as oxygen-containing molecules being formed by the free electrons acting as a covalent bond. This is how many molecules are naturally and artificially created, actually.

To call it oxidation is correct within this context, but limiting your definition of fire to oxidation is less holistic than considering the phenomenon as a phase of matter.

>>7644241

Your body is a fireball. Consider that respiration involves ripping an electron from an O2 atom, and putting in onto an iron atom. Many molecular changes involve severing and producing covalent bonds. It's astute of >>7644226 to predict that DNA emits violet and UV light.

Now would be a good time to mention that "radiation" from nuclear technology and stars works almost exactly as I describe above, except that protons and neutrons start flying everywhere as well. There's no difference between what's going on in a nuclear reactor or bomb, a star, or your blood except for the energy of the reaction.

You're not simply star dust - star dust continues to shine. You're a dim, tiny, little, short-lived star.
>>
>>7643872
baby don't burn me
>>
An expression of energy.
>>
>>7645884

get a job hippy
>>
>>7645875
>There's no difference between what's going on in a nuclear reactor or bomb, a star, or your blood except for the energy of the reaction
gtfo you dumb popsci faggot theres no correlation between a nuclear reactor and your blood, unless you have special fissile blood cells
>>
>>7646262

>theres no correlation between a nuclear reactor and your blood

I think you mean 'similarity' or something similar - but you pressed backspace and replaced it with "correlation" to make your profane post without capitals sound more scientific.

A fission reaction is exactly how I describe fire - except the particles within the atomic nucleus start flying off. High temperatures (Oscillations of particles) can initiate fission, and these high temperatures can be induced by striking atoms with very fast or massive particles. Macroscopically, fission can be initiated by colliding two objects with enough velocity or mass.

Fusion is actually related to this process - H4 is fused into Be, which itself is fused into C12, and the energy that doesn't find itself as part of an element is released as a gamma ray. Again, all this takes is high enough temperatures (Oscillations of particles).

Your body produces UV light - a wavelength of sunlight that your body has evolved to defend against, because the sun also produces it.
>>
>>7643872
my mixtape fām
>>
>>7647648
>fām
s
>>
>>7644241
I knew a guy who had to deal with invisible fire "leaks" at the lab he worked at. Guy always carried a big piece of cardboard near him.
He waved it around in front of him which made him look very stupid, till the cardboard would burst into fire instead of him. Then everyone knew not to walk there. The stuff classified government labs could get away with before OSHA is stuff of legend.
>>
>>7644226
You're literally on fire. We burn very slowly, which is why we age. The iron and oxygen in our blood is the culprit. This is why some scientists believe we are not native to this planet.
>>
>>7648817
Now think: something must have happened to spur him to walk around with a big piece of carboard in the first place....
>>
>>7648833
Autism, anon. Autism.
>>
>>7644192
You can actually observe C-C quadruple bonds in the spectrum of a nicely controlled flame. Added up, it's a rather pretty orange.
>>
Fire is atoms acting funneh like they're entangled or smth.
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 600x600px
>>7643872
fire is made up of flowing microscopic tetrahedrons. the points of the tetrahedrons explain why the heat of fire feels sharp and stabbing
>>
>>7648830
Oxidation is well established not to be the primary cause of aging.
>>
>>7643872
>What is fire?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1pIYI5JQLE
>>
>>7648833
I don't have to, he told me he saw a coworker get burn to death right in font of him as he ran to the exit. After standing there in panic for awhile he grabbed a pizza box from the break room next to him and proceed to scan the hallways till he got to an extraction point. Apparently he was a bit paranoid about this and it got much worse when he was near exposed piping. I have no idea how he managed to keep working there given his near panic attack when I showed him my bedroom in the basement, exposed pipes over my bed.
>>
>>7644019
Burning paraffin interacts with a strong magnetic field like a plasma
>>
>>7648922
uhhh no

if it's cutting you and taking flesh away, then how do you explain blisters? it's clearly a plasma, blisters are just bubbles of cooled plasmar
>>
>>7643964
Fire contains very little plasma, it is primarily hot gas. The presence of plasma depends on the heat and material being burned or combusted.

You fuck.
>>
>>7645852
Factually, no. But your interpretation is false.
>>
>>7649240
So it a steam plasma? It causes blisters.
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 640x615px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 640x615px
>>7649240
no dude its totally true.

and water is made up of flowing microscopic icosahedrons which isn't rigid and sharp like fires tetrahedrons but closer to a sphere so that when you pick it up, it flows out of your hand like tiny balls or seeds or popcorn kernels etc.
>>
>>7649298
And salt is obviously made of tiny little cubes. The cubes all clump together and that's what we call salt granules. They can be sharp, but not as sharp as fire tetrahedra, which is why salt only hurts when you put it on part of your body that has already been cut.
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 640x712px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 640x712px
>>7649306
yea id say so. really anything "earthy" is cube shaped which is why it doesnt flow like water. how else could earth be so sturdy if it werent shaped like cubes? its a pretty sturdy structure
>>
>>7644151
/thread
>>
>>7647643

What metabolic process produces radiation at this wavelength?

Soot glows as if it were a black body. The sun glows as if it were a black body. Humans glow as if they were a black body, and a black body requires a certain temperature to begin emitting a "reasonable" amount of light (>1%, for example) of a certain wavelength.

Humans don't produce UV light as if they were a black body, so UV light would have to be produced by specific, energetic metabolic reactions. Which reactions are these?
>>
>>7648922
>>7649298
>>7649327
>>7649306
WHAT

THE

FUCK.
>>
baka desu senpai
>>
>>7647648
fuck u I wanted to say it
>>
>>7645872
>eynman explains this.
Sauce please.
>>
>>7643873
/thread
>>
>>7649868
5sec google
https://youtu.be/N1pIYI5JQLE
>>
>>7649880
>my bad thanks
>>
>>7643872
>what fire?
Fire hot, unga bunga.
>>
Stil don't know what the fuck is fire.
>NOT a plasma
>NOT glowing soot
>has a bit of both
WHAT THE FUCK?
>>
>>7649936
some kind of gravity-defiant liquid?

this is weird man, i don't like this thread anymore.
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 500x250px
>>7649600
I was 'avin a giggle m8

This is what Plato actually believed when he wrote "Timaeus." although the conclusions sound almost monty-python-esque silly, the argument combines emperical/experimental (feeling the elements) and theoretical (geometry) methods which was a new idea at the time and a step in the right direction for science. but since the scientific method was used in such a way classically, medieval scientists, who inherited it, came off like wizards.
>>
1. Hot things glow
2. Fire is made of hot gas/plasma
That's really all there is, OP
>>
>>7643872
Thank you, Alan Alda:
http://www.centerforcommunicatingscience.org/meet-last-years-winner/
>>
>>7644302
> underappreciated post
>>
>>7645875
This is the most reddit post I've ever seen.
>Consider that respiration involves ripping an electron from an O2 atom, and putting in onto an iron atom.
Kill yourself
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.