[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any devices available that prevent AC from feeding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10

File: 13256669_p0.jpg (279KB, 800x427px) Image search: [Google]
13256669_p0.jpg
279KB, 800x427px
Are there any devices available that prevent AC from feeding back into a line after a device is turned on / off, etc?

I know very little about electricity. My mother is concerned that ripple in the otherwise (relatively) smooth 60 hz sine wave is interfering with her sleep and general health. I don't really have much of an opinion, I'd imagine it's probably emitting radio waves in a general band that's fairly small. Not certain what a given magnetic field flux and field strength would do, and my own health is so trashed to begin with, I don't care to attempt to bridge physics and one of the more poorly understood areas of biological systems.

If there aren't things like this commercially available, could I build an equivalent based around bipolar transistors? Does that even make sense? Thanks. While I understand the basis of her risk assessment, it'd be nice to be able to use lights.
>>
>>7643625
Buy her a tinfoil hat.
>>
File: full_spectrum.jpg (2MB, 2423x3632px) Image search: [Google]
full_spectrum.jpg
2MB, 2423x3632px
>>7643649
this
also sew her a blanket/sheet/pillowase set out of brass mesh and ground it to make a faraday cage to keep those pesky electromagnetic ripples out.
>>
File: 49070173_p0.jpg (871KB, 1276x902px) Image search: [Google]
49070173_p0.jpg
871KB, 1276x902px
Shameless self bump.
>>
>>7643625
your mom is delusional. she would be better off thinking electricity is magic like 90% of the world.
>>
>>7645182
Can't go back.

I'm not certain she's entirely delusional, but it seems likely most of the primary effects she reports are via anxiety. Either way, beginning to think about all of this in the way she did is probably one of the worst things I've seen happen to her in the last decade or so.

There are means by which someone can actually be "electrosensitive", but all of this shit about chest pains, inability to think, exhaustion, headaches, is blatant panic and anxiety. Any real effect is likely to be cumulative and subtle.

Electrosensitivity became a thing, and most of the people more prominently reporting it have little knowledge of the actual physics that comprises their world. This is obvious. I'm not look for a debate on who is and isn't a nutjob, or the biological aspects behind it. I asked a question, that's what I want answers for.
>>
>>7645201
Just lie and tell her you fixed the problem and her "symptoms" will go away.
>>
>>7645451
She doesn't blindly trust people. Especially me.
>>
>>7645457
then counter her psychological pseudoscience with more psychological pseudoscience and make up some elaborate reasoning why the device you installed (kek it's actually just a broken toaster) will fix her problem.
>>
File: clamp meter.jpg (75KB, 500x268px) Image search: [Google]
clamp meter.jpg
75KB, 500x268px
>>7643625
You can get an electrical clamp meter cheap from your hardware store. It works by measuring electrical field. Split the larger clamp carefully and show her the distance at which electro-magnetic effects become too small to measure.
>>
>>7645483
She's not stupid, she's just very prone to sensationalism and latching onto certain ideas. She believes what she wants to believe, and no matter what is said or done, she either shuts down at criticism or twists anything novel into more evidence that her present world view is correct and functional. This is usually backed by claims of intuition or channels by which the mind has access to information that are apart from logic and reason.

It's a well established logical framework, even if it would quickly fall apart for anyone who's apt to think critically about the mechanics of how something can actually be functioning and weights things accordingly. I wouldn't want to just deceive her to begin with, but it's not as though it would work. I'm looking for actual solutions.

>>7645754
I've been meaning to invest in something like this. The issue then becomes that she both believes high strength is bad, rapid flux is bad, and certain frequencies are bad. If she could make it work, she'd believe everything and anything that's a frequency, is bad.

Anyone know anything more about reducing feedback and ripple in house wiring?
>inb4 "use DC"
>>
Final relatively shameless self bump.

I've seen a number of people on here that work in rf circuit design, and general EE. I'd appreciate even a vague point in some direction.
>>
Your mother is insane m8. Deal with it.
>>
>>7643625
You could turn the power off at night.
>>
File: 34825259_p0.jpg (301KB, 676x1006px) Image search: [Google]
34825259_p0.jpg
301KB, 676x1006px
>>7647604
Can only deal for short spans of time, then I find myself back roughly where I started.
>>
>>7647610
That's what we presently do, for a section of the house. I don't always always have a flashlight though, and my night vision is garbage.

The main issue is her belief systems are disjointed, she has no inclination of admitting that or trying to reconcile it. I'm not going to be here forever, but it'd be nice if she had some peace of mind. Perhaps there is a problem that is reduced at the same time.
>>
Get an old oscilloscope, build a simple signal generator and put it in a box marked "clamp meter". Show her how to turn it on.
>>
>>7643625
This is literal insanity. Your mother has a psychotic delusion. Not only is it impossible to detect such small fluctuations in a magnetic field, or for them to have an effect on one's health, this is also part of the plot line to the show "Better Call Saul". Nice b8 m8
>>
>>7647621
it is true that switching appliances on any part of the AC wave that isn't 0 volts will result in a 'ripple' that contains many other frequencies. the worst case frequencies can be viewed here:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=fourier+transform+120*sqrt%282%29*UnitStep

at w = 20 rad/s = 3.2 hz the amplitude is already less than 5 V. if you press the electrodes of a 9v battery to your sweaty forehead you wont even feel it
im pretty sure the magnetic field generated by such a ripple can only be measureable with really advanced and sensitive equipment. im too lazy to calculate it.
a faraday cage like i described here >>7643681 should filter it all out,

but the only real solution to this unfounded problem is to get a device (for each appliance) that only switches appliances as close as possible to 0 or 180 degrees of AC phase. the only place ive seen such things are in high voltage industrial power supply testing laboratories.
>>
>>7647660
It's not bait. She also feels the same about wifi and cell phones, but at least that has something relatively substantial behind it.

Sanity and psychosis are often difficult to meaningfully delineate. Anyone with a history of anxiety or panic attacks has come to terms with the inherently uncertain and ambiguous nature of reality. In this case I think her internal weighting process is not accurately accounting for ideas that contradict her beliefs and explanations for her own experiences.
>>
>>7647667
Thanks for the response.

I don't know a lot about electricity (I feel like I understood it better as a child), and lack the mathematical background to really do much with fourier transforms.

I'll look into what you've mentioned.
>>
>>7647674

Wrap her in an extension cord running to a TV, and also the coaxial to the TV wrap it around her throat and bind her hands and feet with it. On the TV have footage of swarming cockroaches on loop.

Tape a cell phone to her head with the ringtone set to la cucaracha, ring her randomly once per hour. Then rig up so that a cockroach falls out of a bucket onto her face randomly, and they are trapped in the room with her (seal it up).

Leave her like this for a ocuple of days, then when the screaming stops, punch her in the face while shouting "IS IT SAFE!" If her answer is anything other than "AC fluctuactions have no effect on the human body" repeat the above treatment until the behaviour stops.
>>
>>7643625

If I understand your question correctly, no.

This is not possible.

Electricity works in a circuit, it needs a return path for it to work otherwise you are just creating a short which will eventually blow EDO's/ LV fuses. Then you get no power.

Literally your mum is a little crazy. You either have to move out or convince her she's crazy.
>>
>>7645768
>tfw OP is talking about your ex-girlfriend
10/10 sex and i still left her

i guess that isn't really an option, because, you know, it's your mom.

i genuinely feel sympathy for you OP and don't know what to do.
>>
File: 3200482_orig.jpg (81KB, 432x259px) Image search: [Google]
3200482_orig.jpg
81KB, 432x259px
>>7645768
>She's not stupid
>>
File: peepee reaction.jpg (91KB, 580x741px) Image search: [Google]
peepee reaction.jpg
91KB, 580x741px
>>7647696
>>
>>7647687
You don't need to do any Fourier transforms. Just cover the walls, ceiling and floor with conductive chicken fence and ground these. The opening is too small for the RF noise but sufficiently open to let air in.
>>
Other thought, completely rewire the house at 12V. Rectification externally.
>>
>>7647660
Is'nt there some swedish guy who get's seizures and shit around high voltage lines and radio towers? I'm just sayin, if his story is true. It gives validity to certain people being much more sensitive to electrical fields.
>>
File: warf.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
warf.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>7647820
>>
>>7643625
There may be advanced circuitry that could rectify your mothers (unlikely) assumptions. But sheilding/grounding would really be the easiest way to rectify this. Either shield all the circuitry and devices or shield the environment you want protected. There is some guy i heard on a radio show that does this shit for a living. Claims cattle provide higher milk yields and such when they are shielded from power lines and other em fields.
>>
God forbid she ever hears about cosmic background radiation or the sun or radio or the universe in general.
>>
File: 1425113141765.jpg (27KB, 216x346px) Image search: [Google]
1425113141765.jpg
27KB, 216x346px
>>7652268
I'm arguing with her nearly as I type this. Again. She came in brandishing a metal stove poker deal when I refused to entertain her bullshit and told her how she and her methods are "built for failure". Physically overpowered her and took it away, obviously she didn't plan to use it.

Threw a wood ring across the room which smashed a wall up. "blah blah you're smashing up my house" "better than smashing you up."

"Blah blah police, jail, etc." Is it really so wrong to just wake up, go about your day, have everyone fuck off and not try to communicate with you while bringing up wifi as a proxy for mass surveillance and potentially mind control as well? I barely communicate for around a half an around, then it begins. Mood ruined, day shot, and for what? What a dumb bitch.

The problem is she has a point about wireless technology relative to health, but makes the most moronic sweeping assumption about its nature. She takes the brute force approach when communicating her "problems" to other people, and is hamstringing her own cause while barely understanding how a microwave works much less ordered signal transmission.

I'll be gone within the month. The rural equivalent of "the streets" is better than this shit every fucking day.
>>
>>7652759
>The problem is she has a point about wireless technology relative to health

No. Unless you're strapping yourself to a super high power microwave transmitter, you're not being harmed by any of the wireless signals bouncing around your house, at all. Microwave radiation from your phone is absorbed by the water in your head and given off as a negligible amount of heat.

I would be more worried about the gamma radiation that spontaneously shoots out of the ground from radioactive material buried deep within the earth, or UV radiation from the sun harming your DNA than the 220 Hz signal being emitted by the wiring in your house, whose magnitude drops off by a factor of 1/r^2

If she wants to believe what she wants to believe, then the only answers to her problems are ones in the mental realm. What I mean is that if her problem is an imaginary one, the solution is also an imaginary one. Build her a Faraday cage and be done with it
>>
>>7654001
>No.
Yes. Bear in mind, everything you've said is what I have said. Without prolonged exposure to someone with drastically different views, I never would have probably investigated it legitimately.

Heat shock protein expression is elevated in pyramidal cells (via a non-thermal mechanism), increased ROS production is observed, blood brain barrier structure is altered, it becomes more permeable especially to albumin, and 5-HT is elevated (whereas dopamine and norepinephrine both drop, and don't fully return to control values unless the emr source is removed), etc.

The literature exists. It's not as thorough as I'd like. There are some methodological aspects that are recurring I'd personally probably try to fix, or control for. In vitro studies need to evaluate not just how a cell line responds, but at what phase of the cell cycle it is during exposure. Most studies are either in vitro, or done on mice (for obvious reasons), so extrapolation isn't always straightforward.

I'm not really in the mood for an argument, people get vicious about this bullshit and I've been close to wanting to slam some people around when it's happened in person. It's not worth it there, it's not worth it here. This thread is a result of me wanting help fixing this, but I'm ditching that idea. Bitch is on her own. Bills included, good fucking luck with that one.
>>
>>7654033
>and 5-HT is elevated
(In the hippocampus that is.) If I recall correctly the medulla oblongata and hypothalamus are effect to some lesser extent.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.