[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to kill myself if the EM drive isn't real.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: sadfrog.jpg (2KB, 92x97px) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
2KB, 92x97px
I'm going to kill myself if the EM drive isn't real.
>>
>>7640898
I don't see why they can't whip one up and strap it to a satellite or some kind of fairly simple probe and give it a test run

Like keep testing it sure, but multiple of these things have been made (since multiple places are testing them) so surely it would be worthwhile to actually field-test one and see if it holds up outside of a laboratory setting.
>>
>being this much of a space exploration fanboy manchild

space is BORING AS FUCK stop pretending that getting off of this planet would magically solve all of your problems
>>
>>7641197
wow pleb
>>
Plz stream
>>
>>
>>7641193
/sci/tards confuse lack of funding with lack of interest.
They think scientists are "avoiding" it when in reality they would gladly test it if they actually had funding, some of you are completely unaware of just how stagnant space research is thanks to budget cuts.
>>
Boy have I got some bad news for you then...
>>
File: thisguy.jpg (125KB, 640x496px) Image search: [Google]
thisguy.jpg
125KB, 640x496px
>>7641197
>>
>>7641197
>a place we've explored a percentage of that is too small to even write in this post is boring
>>
>>7641197
>boring as fuck
>99.9% of all happenings ever happen in space

Earth is the boring as fuck one with respect to the rest of space
>>
>>7642699

>only place in the universe so far to hold life
>boring

Yeah okay, besides space being 99% empty is going to be 99% boring.
>>
Well, the EM drive is getting measurable thrust from radiation pressure. In effect, they've created the worst solar sail. Your exhaust may be going the speed of light, but you'll be some 8 billion years into your flight before you're even a small fraction of C.

Hope you remembered to pack a lot of fissile material 'cause we're going to be here for a long time. At least that probe is going to put a really big dent in whatever it runs into in the next galaxy over.

tl;dr That EM drive would yield a high top speed, but its acceleration is the worst.
>>
>>7642853
We still don't know how well it scales.
Also there's nothing stopping someone from slapping thousands of them on a spaceship.
>>
What about that woodward effect that guy says could get you reactionless propulsion?
>>
>>7641193
unfortunately that won't prove much

there would still be the possibility that some matter is being ejected e.g. ablated atoms from the case.
>>
>>7642885
what like the atoms are ablated into a fine mist or something? Isn't that detectable?
>>
>>7642857
"Captain, slingshotting peas against our forecastle turns out to be terrible propulsion"
"USE MOAR PEAS!!!!"

Solar sails are only a good idea because they're using radiation pressure generated by a star. Unless you've somehow managed to cram a fusion reactor that big into your little spaceship, you won't have left the solar system before something better comes along.
>>
>>7640898
I don't see why it couldn't work. Space is full of electron-(negative)positron pairs, you just need to push against the particle with the positive energy to thrust yourself forward. The only downside is that the negative energy somehow has to be compensated for, so either in form of the photons that travel through the em drive disappearing from existence or the em drive itself losing mass/temperature.
>>
>>7642895
well, that's why it needs testing on the ground where stuff like that can be detected.

but it's important to be realistic here: this is as likely as those free energy devices. I would anyone with an understanding of physics could see why.

It gets a bit tiring seeing all of these stories of objects like this or those free energy devices or whatever when it's obvious they're bullshit.
>>
>>7642926
the EM drive seems more intuitive than the FREEEEEEE energy stuff. put in electricity to the gizmo, get some work or force out of it.

that makes sense to the layperson.
>>
>>7642853
Except that the EM drive is generating more force than it should from just emitting photons.

This of course is impossible(unless the photons bounce back off of something) because it makes the EM drive a perpetual motion machine or requires that it violate relativity.
>>
>>7642885
And how would atoms ablate if you keep everything cool enough
>>
>>7641197
Im genuinely curious what you think is interesting if "space is boring"
>>
hey guys
bear with me here
what if
what if
the law of conservation of energy was wrong
boom.
>>
>>7642819
The Earth is 99% empty. Atoms are 99% empty. What's your point?
>>
>>7643300

Probably soccer.
>>
>>7643300
artificial life
aliens
neuroscience
neuroprosthetics
sensory augmentation
brain-computer interfaces
virtual reality
electronics
programming
asoiaf
>>
>>7643713
Got em!
>>
>>7643783
>aliens
Yeah you mean the ones we find in space
>>
>>7642908
>"Captain, slingshotting peas against our forecastle turns out to be terrible propulsion"
>"USE MOAR PEAS!!!!"
Would this sort of thing actually provide ANY propulsion at all? I thought any kind of reactionless propulsion (that doesn't interact with something externally like the sun) is impossible according to physics. And what's all this talk about the EMdrive being a solar sail?
>>
>>7645186
no i mean the ones we hopefully don't ever find
>>
>>7643713
Landlubbers BTFO
>>
>>7641349
With all the dumb shit that gets funded on indiegogo/kickstarter, I'm sure if they asked they could get the money they needed from crowdfunding.

I mean people were fucking dumb enough to fund a fucking statue of robocop in detroit, and the memedrive is every popsci le nerd XD's wet dream so I'm sure they could do it, and hitch a ride up on an ISS supply mission for relatively little.
>>
>>7642819
>only place in the universe so far to hold life
even more presumptuous than claims of UFOs
>>
>>7646320
this is what i said
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.