[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /sci/ think of timed tests? I think they are bullshit.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: 1443967793960.jpg (170KB, 1545x859px) Image search: [Google]
1443967793960.jpg
170KB, 1545x859px
What does /sci/ think of timed tests? I think they are bullshit.

My chemistry professor gives us a timeframe on our exams so we have about one minute per problem. Now, I understand everything conceptually, but math is not my strong point, so I need time to set up full dimensional analysis or work through calculations in a formula a step at a time, and doing this I get most of the practice and homework problems right, but I only get low B's and C's on exams cause with the time limit not only is feeling rushed working against me, but he expects us to know immediately what to do, including shortcuts.

Are timed tests just a way to create a more pronounced bell curve (separate the xceptional from even those who just good?) Any tips for dealing with exams like this? Are profs like this just shit?
>>
there is a difference between solving the problem in 1 minutes and 10 minutes. you challenge yourself to work faster. whats wrong with that ?
>>
I agree with you, but what are you going to do, fail? Man up and get gud. Become exceptional.
>>
>>7640804
Their is no math in chemistry that should take longer than a minute. You don't know the concepts
>>
>>7640810
>solving Schrödinger equations in less than a minute

Lolk
>>
>>7640814
If you can't than you should just drop out
>>
I think the best is a combination of timed tests and take-homes, and they should both be realistic. As in, the timed tests should not have fucking arithmetic "gotchas" and the take-homes should be quite difficult and have somewhat open-ended solutions
>>
>>7640804
>taking random class tests seriously.
>>
>>7640804
I currently in your typical intro linear algebra type class and we also take tests that give us about a minute per question. This is quite annoying when we have to do something like solve large linear systems. It is a pretty easy thing to do but can take a bit of time.
>>
>>7640821
OP here, thats the thing, they are loaded with arithmetic "gotchas." You'll have to deal with like g/ml, mMol, and the answer in lbs in the same problem, so fucktons of it are wonky conversions.
>>
>>7640804
Sorry but it has a purpose. You have to spend your time thinking, not soing calculations. The point is that you have to do math fast and correctly on the first try so that you don't waste time on it.
>>
>>7640842
But why does that matter? I'm a ChemE major. Boss says "durr hurr what is blah blah" I don't need to solve blah blah in 30 seconds right there, I can go back to my office, work through it for a few minutes, and email it to him after taking my time and verifying.
>>
>>7640868
yes.
But you need to study before. And you only have limited time to do it. And you can't afford to spend that time computing triple integrals for one hour.

I have friends who literally can't do a fucking fourier transform in less than 30 minutes. What does that say about a potential scientist or engineer?

It also forces you to have a methodology. I tutor freshmen and it's kind of funny to see them struggle in physics because they fail to define a system or to choose adequate coordinates.
Once they acquired the methodology, everything started going smoothly and swiftly, and they could spend more time on the "physics"part, rather than the "algebra trial and error" part.
>>
>>7640950
>Fourier transform
Just matlab that shit.
>>
>>7640832
it's all about doing 4 quadrillion problems and seeing patterns/tricks right off the bat

which is funny because really quickly all that shit just becomes stuff you tell your computer to do and linear algebra becomes much more abstract and module theoretic.
>>
>>7640981
>just matlab that shit
>what is complexity
>>
>>7640804
I think they're bullshit too, but if you're shit at maths then just study harder. Practice and practice until it takes you less time.
>>
The point is:

G I T G U D
>>
Never had that kind of test but one of my current prof designs tests that can be hard to complete within the given timeframe if you can't pump out solutions quickly.
>>
>OP hasn't realized that college is a hazing period.
>>
>>7640804
are you faggots not allowed to have a TI-84/89? if you are, you have zero excuse for falling for arithmetic/algebra mistakes.

i've written dozens of little solvers for my 89 CAS. any material i see thats plug n chuggy, goes right into an algorithm.
>>
>>7640823
>Midterms
>large portion of class grade
It's like you're in high school
>>
I think they are fine. Perhaps even a necessary evil.

What I think is complete bullshit is that some people claim "disability" and get extra time.
>>
>>7641172
I'd rather just memorize the algorithms than learn BASIC.
>>
>>7641184
>I'd rather just memorize the algorithms than learn BASIC

you still have to handjam everything in tho. what you are doing, is cutting out a huge amount of calculation time, and eliminating possible "fat finger" errors.
>>
>>7640823
>he doesn't get 3 tests plus a final/class/semester
Jealous to be honest
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.