[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/, got a n00b math/signals question: If I have a simple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 760px-Euler's_formula.svg.png (36KB, 760x750px) Image search: [Google]
760px-Euler's_formula.svg.png
36KB, 760x750px
Hey /sci/, got a n00b math/signals question:

If I have a simple signal sin(x), I can convert a sample taken at some point (x,y) on that signal to a complex number by using Euler's formula. e.g. the point (pi/2, 1) on the sine curve becomes complex number 0 + 1i on the unit circle in the complex plane.

What if the signal is not a simple sin(x), but is some arbitrary non-periodic signal? How do you convert an (x,y) sample into a complex number?
>>
>>7638652
Pretty sure about this, but not completely. With your notation, a point (a, b) would become
b * e ^ a*i
= b (cos(a) + i * sin(a))
so in your example,
(pi/2, 1) => 1 * e ^ (pi * i / 2)
= cos(pi/2) + i * sin(pi/2)
= i
= 0 + 1i
for a general function f, its representation at a point x is given from applying the above formula to (x, f(x)).
(x, f(x))->f(x) * e ^ x * i
= f(x)(cos(x) + i * sin(x))
>>
>>7638665

thx. what's the reasoning for multiplying by b (or by f(x) in the last example)?
>>
>>7638685
That's the part that was making me not completely sure. It's a system consistent with the example you gave, but I'm not sure it's correct.
I'm thinking that f(x) will be the magnitude of the complex vector and x will be the vector's angle.
>>
>>7638694
>>7638685
Same poster. So in your example, the vector has magnitude 1 and angle pi/2, which clearly corresponds to 0 + 1i or just i.
>>
>>7638697

yes. because i used sin(x) and that maps to a unit circle. but if an arbitrary function does not map to a unit circle, should the magnitude be sqrt(cos(a)^2+sin(a)^2) ?
>>
>>7638713
That always yields 1, so probably not.
When you take the magnitude to be f(x), you gain a bijection between ]0,2*pi[XR and the complex numbers.
>>
>>7638863

> ]0,2*pi[XR

can you please explain what this means
>>
File: s.jpg (33KB, 679x266px) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
33KB, 679x266px
everything i read in signal processing books is talking about sin(2*pi*f*t + phi(t) ) idealized signals. i am trying to understand how samples of real signals (e.g. radio) are converted into complex numbers.
>>
>>7638898
The Cartesian product of the open interval with lower bound zero and upper bound 2*pi and the real numbers, or the set of all pairs with a first element in ]0,2*pi[ and second element in the real numbers, R.
I should actually replace R with R+, the set of all strictly positive real numbers. Sorry.

Basically, for every x and y such that 0<x<2*pi and y>0, there is a unique value associated to (x,y) in the complex numbers. Namely, y*(cos(x) + i * sin(x)).

This is becoming more related to analysis or set theory though, so it may not be so useful.
>>
>>7638910

i see
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.