[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Graduate studies finance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

I'm looking for advice on how to financially support myself for graduate studies at MIT and similar tier universities.

Say that I do get accepted to one of those schools, what's the best option? I heard you can work inside? Will that cover all tuition and living expenses?
>>
>>7586270
no idea about top tier but I'm applying to a relatively non competitive school (gre in about 12 hours fuck) and getting a TA position doesn't seem to difficult. I think they get benefits like a meal plan and obviously pay per hour. If you do decide to live on campus I think that is covered as well but tuition is still up to you so scholarships might help
>>
>>7586275
This may be a retarded question but can you be a TA off the bat? I'm not from the US.
>>
>>7586270
they give you a stipend and a tuition waiver
>>
>>7586279
Can you pass the TOEFL?
Based on your posting so far, I assume so.
>>
>>7586282
Yes. No problem.

I'm just dirt poor but dreaming big. That's the problem.
>>
>>7586443
but the answer is already here
>>7586280

Almost any top tier graduate program (sci/eng, not law/med) covers tuition and living expenses b/c that's what peer institutions do.

You mentioned MIT.
MIT's chemistry department is highly ranked, generally top five, they have to provide financial support to their graduate students b/c the rest of the top five do (Harvard, Stanford, Cal, Scripps) just that.
Failing to do so puts the institution at a competitive disadvantage in terms of grad student recruiting.

Also, why are you asking 4chan?
Ask the institutions you are interested in.
Specifically you should make calls to/email the departmental offices/program administrators that you are interested in.
If I start calling staffers in the department of chemistry at Cal at 8 am in the morning, I will have been adequately informed about the stipend and tuition remission associated with a GSI or GSR appointment by 8:10 am.
>>
>>7586455
left out Cal Tech, another often top fiver in the US, sorry guize
>>
>>7586455
I'm not in the US.

Thanks though.
>>
>>7586455
Here's a follow up question: how good does your CV have to be to get into these schools?
>>
>>7586459
>I'm not in the US.
Are you OP?

I took his mention of 'MIT and similar tier universities' to mean that he was looking to go to grad school at top ranked institutions in the US.
That was presumptuous on my part.

From what I understand, many European (and other Anglo-sphere) institutions, and really the general European (and other Anglo-sphere) mindset and policy proscriptions are more student friendly than those in the US.

At the end, the suggestion still stands - contact the institutions you are interested in attending.
>>
>>7586462
Yes, I'm OP.

MIT and the other unis you mentioned are my target.
>>
>>7586461
Undergrad research and letters of reference are very important in the US.

Most students blow off the GREs, this is a mistake on their part. It's easy to make yourself look good by taking time to prepare for the GRE. In my experience this is true of both the general and subject GREs.
>>
>>7586469
>letters of reference

What do they look for? The position of the speaker or the actual content?
>>
>>7586471
>position of the speaker or the actual content
both
>>
>>7586455
>Failing to do so puts the institution at a competitive disadvantage in terms of grad student recruiting.

Not really. Acceptance rates at these unis are incredibly low, to begin with.
>>
>>7586487
lol, the top 5 are largely competing for the same pool of students - I know b/c I was there for recruitment visits and saw the same people (prospective grad students) over and over again.

if Harvard, Stanford, MIT, and CalTech offer you a full tuition waiver and a 25-30k/year stipend but Cal doesn't are you going to go to Cal?
No.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.