[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /sci/ think of youtube "science" channels,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9

File: vsauce.jpg (68KB, 636x350px) Image search: [Google]
vsauce.jpg
68KB, 636x350px
What does /sci/ think of youtube "science" channels, like vsauce or veritasium?
>>
>>6658067
It's hilarious when they set themselves on fire.
>>
>vsauce
>>
>>6658067
vsauce is good, veritasium disappointed me once when they tried an experiment with a bullet and a piece of wood, so i'm more careful with their statements
>>
>>6658067
Vsauce is good
Scishow is generally pretty good
C0nc0rdance is excellent
Goddard's Journal is excellent
Potholer54 is good when he's not tackling topics on atheism
Thunderf00t is excellent but he's incredibly cynical which can be either a positive or negative depending on who is watching.
Periodic videos is a fun channel with good information. The professor's shaky hands bug me though
>>
>>6658084
Interesting, thanks anon.
>>
>>6658067
Vsauce is great. I already know quite a bit of the things he brings up, but that's okay. If I were 14 years old I'd be in awe. I don't mean that as a knock.
>>
>>6658096
Agreed. I think every generation needs its Bill Nye, and TV isn't cutting it for making education fun nowadays.

I also like Numberphile and Periodic Videos, but that's a bit far past nerdy.
>>
>>6658084
>The professor's shaky hands bug me though
He bother me so much. He looks like he's trying too hard to look like a mad scientist. I know chemists and physicists can be eccentric and weird, but he tries too hard.
>>
I personaly enjoy Numberphile and Sixty symbols. Alas, I'm an engineer and I know little about real math/physics. Are they reliable sources? I mean, the -1/12 video hurted my brain.
>>
>>6658188
About his shaky hands, they might bother you, but I also think you're a dick to bring him into discredit for something like that. He probably can't help it.
>>
I've had a pint with Professor Moriarty. Nice guy.
>>
>>6658067
Educating the general masses is in general a good thing. However when people think they 'know' math science or whatever cause of a few youtube videos, pisses me off.
>>
So what do you think about this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMb00lz-IfE

I think it's complete bullshit.
Information can only be stored on a medium. Having that in mind and that mass-energy conservation, it just doesn't make any sense that the information in the universe will grow with time.

This is just my opinion only, but I think that entropy is caused by the expansion of the universe.
>>
>>6658201
i thought he doesnt drink? i couldve sworn he said hes teetotal
>>
>>6658222
Entropy is defined as S=k log(\Omega), it has nothing to do with media or the expansion of a universe. A fixed volume could undergo a rise in entropy perfectly fine.
>>
>>6658074
What was wrong with this experiment? It pretty much blew my mind.
>>
>>6658222
When they say information what do they mean exactly?
>>
>>6658229
This doesn't explain why it should only grow with time.
Also there is a theoretical maximum of the entropy in a closed system. Without expansion the entropy would eventually decrease.
>>
>>6658237
Information as in information theory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_theory
>>
>>6658196
Maybe he has Parkinson's.
>>
I saw the vsauce guy on some show on the science channel yesterday about radio telescopes.
>>
>>6658067
There ok, but not a good source of knollege. Veritasium and vsauce pose good mind-stimulating questions but there explanations are not always right.

Vsauce had once claimed Einstein was left handed, when in fact he was right handed.
>>
>>6658074
That's one of his few good videos...
>>
>>6658067
As long that what they are saying is correct, and they aren't bullshitting, i think there is no harm done with them.
Sure, you won't learn that much and don't even think about getting a good grasp about say electromagnetism with these videos, but for some people knowing a bit more of something or knowing an interesting fact about something can be good.
Apologies for my English, it's not my first language.
>>
>>6658084
>C0nc0rdance
watched some of his videos after your reading your list. what is it with his gun love? totally destroys his other vids for me
>>
Daniela Titan was pretty good. Why did she stop making videos?
>>
>>6658084
Thunderf00t makes some cringeworthy videos. He used to be great but is now laughable.
>>
>>6658084
Thunderf00t, man, been watching his vids since his other channel he doesn't use anymore; the guy needs to stop making those feminazi criticism vids and go back to his chemistry/physics/astronomy/wdplac roots.
>>
destinws2 is pretty good.
>>
>>6658858
>what is up with his totally unrelated hobbies that I don't like? why doesn't this individual validate my opinions in an echo chamber? he is not a valid member of the scientific community.
>>
theamazingatheist
>>
>>6660783
Are you quoting the poster or yourself?
>>
>>6658858
He's probably the most liberal gun owner I know.
>>
>>6662175
Doesn't make it better.
>>
Vsauce has stupid subjects.
Veritasium has a PhD in what he's doing(Media Coverage for the Public Understanding of Science if I remember correctly) and he explains his methods in some of his vids. He's definitely the best for me.
Minutephysics has interesting subjects but is either too superficial or uses too technical terms, depending on the video. As a result, if you ask someone about a video he saw on MPh he won't really remember them.
Minuteearth has not interesting subjects.
Piled Higher and Deeper has nice animation and the subjects are amazing.
Numberphile is MUMBERphile, he focuses too much on numbers and applications of number theory. I would like to see someone as interested as him in what he's doing but with a more broad spectrum of math fields.
>>
>>6658067
Stop spamming this you.
>>
What about MinutePhysics?
>>
>>6662227
OP just asked a question, how is that spam?
>>
>>6662227
>i dont like the topic
>ita a spam
>>
>>6658189
Obviously a joke, they were laughing. James Grime also published a Video on his own channel (singingbanana) where he explained why it's incorrect.
So far I enjoy numberphile and vihart. Periodic Videos is also quite interesting, but they talk too much
>>
free education and good entertainment

with vsauce science is fun
>>
>>6658067
They're basically this generation's Bill Nye - pop science for the sake of getting laymen interested in science and for casual education in an entertaining format.
>>
recently found the stanford channel. Actual science courses for free.
>>
>>6662275
It is a spam. You are too dense to realize most posts on 4cahn are spam and cleverly hidden advertising.
>>
CrashCourse
Vihart
SciShow
SciShow Space
Veritasium
Vsauce
Kurzgesadt
MinutePhysics
MinuteEarth
SmarterEveryDay

Anything else is either boring or overly technical, I've found. But obviously I haven't seen everything, but the above listed are all pretty good.
>>
Report and ignore. The mods know this guy spams /sci/ with this crap.
>>
>>6659024
She got diabetes from making all her cloying videos.
>>
>>6663979
minutephysics simplifies things to a meaningless point
>>
>>6663979
do you even sixty symbols or khan academy?
>>
>>6664038
Trying to explain 100 years of hair pulling and mindfucking trying to explain the atomic spectra shrunk into a minute of explaining how the fluorescent bulb works.

This is what's wrong with the world guys, lazy ignorant people, and people whom only learn things for practical reasons.
>>
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL65jGfVh1ilueHVVsuCxNXoxrLI3OZAPI

excellent videos on QM, and its basic math.
>>
>>6658858
>good science vids good science channel
>suddenly gun vids
>bad science vids! bad channel!
wuuuut
>>
File: 1400706983520.png (789KB, 488x719px) Image search: [Google]
1400706983520.png
789KB, 488x719px
>>6658067

Scishow, Veritasium, Vsauce are all good. They're very popsci. I've found more interesting topics on other channels, Ben Krasnow's Channel has some really interesting stuff
https://www.youtube.com/user/bkraz333

or Nurd Rage has some awesome videos on fluorescence
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIgKGGJkt1MrNmhq3vRibYA

These are okay too i guess

Reactions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJ9oJ2GUF8Vmb-G63ldGWg

Periodic Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtESv1e7ntJaLJYKIO1FoYw
>>
>>6658067
>Be russian
>Russian "science" tv channels are great
>Change to Discovery "science, civilization, ..." and "history channel"
>Get realities-hows instead

and this is why i never watch ameiclap channels
>>
>>6664292
Any other country and I'd raise a hand in protest, but Russia knows its goddamn science, so I concede.

That being said, everyone here knows history channel is a joke and treats it accordingly. The name is basically just a relic of the station at this point.
>>
File: 1397469578322.gif (2MB, 390x158px) Image search: [Google]
1397469578322.gif
2MB, 390x158px
>>6664292
>>
vsauce is pretty good. But holy fuck that editing.
>>
File: Swastika.jpg (11KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Swastika.jpg
11KB, 320x320px
>>6658222

A more obvious mistake is

Their word play by 3:27

The term Order is first explained as a sequence of elements that make a meaningful code, in their example, a DNA

So, ONGAOI91F39173 has order and is also a random input.

So, this is their first mistake.

So, there is no disorder in pure information because the order of elements is essential.

So, there is no equality between information and entropy.

http://pastebin.com/HVhNACGk
>>
>>6658858
his gun videos seem very reasonable to me, and I don't own guns or plan on owing them
>>
File: 00.jpg (142KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
142KB, 500x500px
What do you guys think about VSauce?
>>
>>6658067
both are creepy men
>>
>>6662296
It's not a joke and James Grime never published a video about why it's wrong, you should rewatch its videos (especially the 2 trolling video and the one about riemann).
>>
>>6664714
>>6658222
You guys should go learn about Shannon and his work.
>>
>>6658067
>vsauce
pure shit
>veritasium
alright
>>
>>6658067

Zogg from Betelgeuse - only a few mathematical videos but may release more in the future

Crashcourse - interesting biology & chemistry videos
>>
>>6667564

Oh and I forgot about..

TEDEducation - alot of science-related animations
Head Squeeze - sort of like Vsauce
ScienceChannel - alot of random science videos
EarthUnpluggedTV - mainly about animals and shit
joshandchuck - also like Vsauce in the way they make videos
SciAmerican - mostly live action stuff but covers alot of interesting recent topics
newscientistvideo - sort of like Sciamerican
NatureVideoChannel - I only find the playlist about new papers interesting. that playlist also uses 3D graphics
AsapSCIENCE - reminds me of minutephysics, not the best
minuteearth - meh.. see for yourself
Coursera.. is okay but not strictly related to youtube (even though they offer video lectures)
Universities (not a youtube channel) - which show their lectures from courses (MIT Opencourseware, Yale etc.)
Nova PBS - most of their videos are interviews but they do have a few interesting animations
SciFri - Live action science stuff
bozemanbiology - this guy teaches science stuff in a khan academy style
NakedScientists - this guy isn't that active anymore but at least he tries
>>
why do you guys like vsauce so much?

he never really talks about anything new and never says anything more than what you could get from skimming over the wikipedia article on whatever subject it is. which makes it seem like that's just what he does to make these videos. and he presents everything like its a world-changing super new interesting exciting thing with a really annoying manner of speaking
>>
>>6667639
You just described the majority of pop scientists.
>>
>>6664714
Yes you are correct. They use information, disorder, randomness and entropy as if they mean the same thing.
>>
Are you fucking laughing?

Vsauce is fucking retarded and the guy who presents it is cringeworthy and so annoying. I can't watch 5 minutes of that shite without reaching for a knife.
>>
>>6667199
There might be proofs, that the calculation works for physics purposes, but mathematically it's bot correct.
I watched the two trolling videos and he explained why it's incorrect, or did I missunderstand something? He even gives another example why it's wrong.
In case I misses something there, feel free to explain it so me lol
>>
>>6668321
Because you're fucking gay
>>
I like Applied Science. He knows his shit, considering he made a scanning electron microscope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoRVEw5gL8c
>>
>>6658067
THEY ARE ALL DISINFO
>>
>>6660686
Agreed. I find myself saying "yeah, these internet feminists are annoying and stupid, but man you went to Cornell, use it to make videos that teach people more about science"
>>
it is funny that a board so full of pop sci like this hates pop sci youtubes
>>
>>6658067
if you speak french, e-penser is good.
>>
>>6658067
They're nice in creating hype about certain things, but leave behind plenty of the evidence behind scientific discoveries and all the process given the youtuber's goldfish attention span.
>>
>>6658067
Simply pathetic.
>>
>>6658259
>>6658229
You're thinking of the wrong entropy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(information_theory)

This is what you want
>>
Computerphile and Numberphile
>>
File: 1398527410458.gif (2MB, 320x180px)
1398527410458.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>6670663
ahahah, what a joke.
I like all these guys who think they're daddy-scientists just because they can read and regurgitate wikipedia.

Srsly, bruce is just a prepa drop out.
>>
>>6668321
>a knife is within reach of your computer.
Edgiest thing I've read all day.
>>
>>6658188
Naw, it's a legit condition. I remember my old professor back in college used to have it pretty bad, shaking like he was stuck in the 60's during the lecture.
>>
Is anyone else bothered by the blatant pandering some science channels are adopting to appeal to the general audience?
Scishow, for example, with their "quiz show" garbage. It's pop science at it's finest, designed for ADHD-ridden facebook users.
>>
>>6671433
It's almost like they make money of views instead of how well their viewers do on math tests.
>>
>>6670793
No seriously, even if he makes somes mistakes, he's the only french to try a thing, and the result is pretty good
>>
>>6672127
why don't you subscribe to lectures videos if you want to acquire proper knowledge? Or websites offering talks like www.canal-u.tv,
savoirs.ens.fr, ...

e-penser is pop-sci garbage as every other English channels.
It's like reading Science&Vie and claiming that you're a scientist.

But actually you're right, if you like losing your time on this kind of vids, I guess e-penser and axolot suit you
You can add for a broader experiment Unisciel, Doxa, Code MU,
>>
>>6670663
Hey thanks, i spent so much time in skimming through anglo internet i forgot their was a french one.
>>
>>6672160
im in love with vihart's hands, help me
>>
>>6672155
I've already lectures in uni to acquire real knowledge ( in civil engineer) ,
I don't need to watch a channel to learn, but it's fun to see how a dude try to explain a complex thing to unscient people.
>>
>>6671326
I have a knife within reach of my computer. Use it to collect keif from my keif collector.
>>
I like anything that tries to teach physics and science to any age.

I prefer sixty symbols and numberphile, though.
>>
>Vsause
Its good, but its obviously aimed at 14 to 17 year olds. That's not a bad thing though, like >>6658141 says, hes sort of the Bill Nye of this generation, since kids don't want TV anymore, they surf the internet.
>Veritasium
Is pretty good, not as engaging as Vsauce. I loved the quantum CPU episodes, they were really interesting.
>SciShow
Is not bad, more of a biology focus so, not my cup of tea, not bad though.
>Numberphile,
Generally great., most of Brady's channels are
>Minute physics
Doesn't go into enough depth, its like eating a packet of chips; fills your appetite a little, but leaves you feeling hungry.
>Sixty Symbols
Is my favorite, but I study Physics so, obviously I would enjoy that Brady channel best.
>Vihart
Can fuck off.
>>
>>6667639
Correct, however, we aren't his audience, his audience are the public, most of whom don't give a fuck about science or math, so he presents it in a popsci way. Its fine by me, the more people interested in science, even popsci, cant be a bad thing right?
>>
>>6674135
>like eating a packet of chips
What's stopping you from making a full meal to follow those chips? And what if you're counting macros and/or dieting, and that packet of chips is the only thing you can afford?
>Vihart
She mixes philosophy with maths. What's not to like?
>>
>>6674135
>>6674141
Just realised I was posting under a name from a /diy/ thread, please excuse my namefaggotry.

sage for offtopic
>>
>>6658084
>>6658188
>Hating on Poliakoff
Come on, the guy is well into his 60's and probably has a condition.
>>
/r/ compsci-related channels. I only have Computerphile; need more.
>>
>>6658229
With this entropy you can also have negative temperature (obviously in kelvin). Either way, it's useful, but not the best definition of entropy.
>>
>>6658222
There is no direct proof of the second law of thermodynamics, it's just an observation. This is why many attempts have been made at making machines that violate the second law. Look up Maxwell's demon.
>>
>>6658067
The videos are great; spreading knowledge to the masses is a noble cause. Khan Academy has helped me out of a tight spot before.

The comments on these videos ace pure, unadulterated nightmare fuel.
>>
>>6662138
Is an arrogant piece of shit that is too narrow-minded to know that hes trapping himself in his own fucking bullshit.
>>
>Pop Science

If you can't grasp the hard facts and the math behind them then you deserve to live in ignorance. Pop Science does nothing but provide useless information to people too stupid to understand it.
>>
File: same.png (63KB, 720x585px) Image search: [Google]
same.png
63KB, 720x585px
If you need someone to make science entertaining for you, maybe you are not that into science.
>>
>>6675165
Nice autism you got there. It gets kids interested in science and the general public excited about new discoveries.
>>
>>6675255
But if the kids get excited by the 'big flashy facts', then they will eventually be interested in why they occur, then they get interested in proofs, then the math ect... Eventually you want to see how far the rabbit hole goes.
>>
>>6675393
I remember watching Cosmos as a little kid, not understanding a good amount of what Sagan said but wanting to know more about space.

The interest faded because American education is designed to do that, so I'm only just now revisiting my interest astronomy.
>>
>>6675393
Children should get all the motivation they need. But nerding out yourself in your 30's just because it became hip and cool, will just bring you to wrong conclusion about the amount of work it takes to achieve something in contrast to just seeing it on some channel.
I'm all for learning, raising interest and following passion, but people who have even smallest interest in science and how stuff works will be pretty reppeled by the programming on a level of mythbusters, which most of the channels offer us today.
>>
File: iBiology.jpg (213KB, 1804x1058px) Image search: [Google]
iBiology.jpg
213KB, 1804x1058px
http://www.youtube.com/user/ibioseminars/videos
>>
>>6675537
bump because of
>>6677294
>>
>>6675468

I agree. TV programs should only contain information that cannot be easily expressed in text or image format, otherwise people would just read books instead.
>>
>>6658067
good channel
>>
>>6675537
Those three videos are the best lectures on brain imaging I've ever seen. Any other stuff of that quality on the channel?
>>
I like vsauce.
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.