[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

jiff or giff?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

jiff or giff?
>>
when i was younger i went to the beach and got tumbled around in waved and ended up with a clod of sand in my urethra
>>
>>5601044
dubs! rly good story
>>
the actual canon pronunciation of .gif is "jif" like the peanut butter, as dictated by the creator of the image format. however, people will argue that it's "GHIFF" because that's how they read it in their head for some reason, despite "jif" rolling off the metaphorical tongue easier. these people are wrong.
>>
if you have to spell "jif" to let people know that you are pronouncing "gif" like the jelly then I think the answer is obviously "giff"
>>
my name
>>
I say jee eye eff
>>
>>5601039
"LITERALLY POOP!"
>>
Giraffe is said with a J so unless you specifically want to say Graphics Interchange Format, then it's .jif
:^)
>>
>>5601210
Hi /int/
>>
>>5601211
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

nice dubs, anon.
>>
>>5601210
gold, gust, give, gang, all said with a hard g, as most words of this nature are, it's giff
>>
>>5601217
Did you see the carrot nose smiley? I was kidding, anon. I was hoping to bamboozle. I apologize for my behaviour. I'll get back to my Mission Impossible marathon. Have a good day.
>>
>>5601039
haha for a second I thought I was on /g/ hahaha
>>
>>5601215
How did it escalate to this?
>>
>>5601273
I was simply going to ask what you meant by saying hi to /int/ board, but I had to spout some meme shit.
>>
>>5601066
this is good post and good dubs
good job
>>
>>5601217
gel, gem, giant, generation, and gentile all have soft g's. We go with the creator and pronounce a soft g.
>>
>>5601039
But there's only one f
>>
>>5601110
same. "giff" or "jiff" both sound retarded, I just spell the whole thing out in my head and almost never have a reason to say it irl
>>
File: 1499413113065.jpg (174KB, 1155x1673px) Image search: [Google]
1499413113065.jpg
174KB, 1155x1673px
>>5601039
Jiff
Test word: jift jiving
>>
yiff
>>
I don't talk to people about gifs in the real world
>>
File: 1480232020767.jpg (35KB, 500x471px) Image search: [Google]
1480232020767.jpg
35KB, 500x471px
>>5601570
This man gets it.
>>
>>5601052
The creator was a dumbass. It's giff. Majority rules.
>>
>>5602075
>>>/reddit/
>>>/imgur/
>>>/tumblr/

even when the majority of people accept falsehood as truth, it does not make it true. if the first time you saw the word .gif, you unironically read it in your head as "giff", you have a very unintuitive thought process. most likely you aren't that stupid but gave into peer pressure and started forcing yourself to pronounce it wrong.
>>
File: patrickbateman2.jpg (15KB, 303x293px) Image search: [Google]
patrickbateman2.jpg
15KB, 303x293px
>>5602100
>>5601299
>>5601388
nice dubs
>>
>>5601052
The creator doesn't get to decide how it's pronounced. If he had said it's pronounced "cat", would you go along with that just because the creator said so? The users of the language decide, and both"jif" and "gif" are used widely so I'd say both are acceptable.
>>
>>5602100
I did unironically do that, because there's a g in it, and it's one letter away from being gift. Jiff is the unintuitive pronounciation. I never even heard anyone say that until about two years ago.
>>
>>5602075
The creator isn't a linguist so he can fuck right off.
>>
File: jif.png (47KB, 828x951px) Image search: [Google]
jif.png
47KB, 828x951px
>>
definitely giff though
>>
>>5602100
>when the majority of people accept falsehood as truth, it does not make it true.
Actually that's exactly what makes it true.
>>
If it were "jiff" we would pronounce graphics as "jraphics."
>>
>>5602937
That's like saying that "millions of people can't be wrong". Tell it to the medieval Christians who burned Galileo! Tell it to modern day Americans who voted Trump, tel it to those who voted Hillary!

It's "gif" though. I don't know why every poster parrots double "f" when the format is "GIF". Jeff might be your best buddy, but he has little to do with interchanging graphics.
...maybe interchanging giraffics...
>>
>>5603298
i say jay-peg and giff. maybe that's why i say it with the hard g, as another way to differentiate it from .jpg. I learned about these file formats around the same time so my brain probably just went to giff automatically to make it sound immediately different than jpg. Really makes you think.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.