[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Earl_Grey_tea_hot.jpg (572KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Earl_Grey_tea_hot.jpg
572KB, 1080x1080px
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
>>
Cock. Black. Big.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo
>>
>>5371983
Why is specifying the temperature of the tea more important than whether you want milk or sugar? He should first have said "hot", so the machine can get the water boiling. Then "earl grey" - this is more efficient because the machine will know he doesn't want to drink an actual member of the aristocracy lol it's obviously tea so saying "earl grey" combines the two voice commands into one. Then he can say "one sugar" because it's best to add the sugar to your tea before you cool it down with milk and then finally you can say "no milk". There's no need to say "please" because a drinks machine has no feelings, so I think that sets a bad precedent for treatment of other non-organic lifeforms like Data, so I would add "please" just to be safe.
>>
>>5372022 xx:22:22
dude nice 2s
>>
>>5371988
cant hate these 8s
>>
>>5372027
Thanks. Do you think you could structure a hot drink order based on the parameters I laid out in my post? Think of it like a pop quiz!
>>
>>5372040
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
>>
>>5372044
If you taste a little oil in your sugar-and-milk-free tea, it's because a robot spat in it <3
>>
>>5372022
no see your syntax is all wrong the first parameter of the voice command is the type of food item, "Tea." the second parameter is the type of that item, "Earl Grey." the third parameter is to clear up ambiguity because iced tea can also just be called "Tea." hence why "Hot." is necessary. Any additional modifiers with parameters can be included such as "With one sugar" but since these are not part of the general recipe for "Tea." not including them in the query implies you do not want them. And yes politeness is unnecessary for a machine, as the machine is represented as a machine and not a synthetic lifeform deserving of conversational pleasantries.
>>
>>5372064
Can't we just skip the "Tea"? The only thing that earl grey could be is tea. If the point of this snappy drink order is brevity, then why keep the extra word? You could cut a whole 25% of the words in this order - that's a huge time saving over 10 years - assuming he drinks tea once a day, that's 3650 words. He needs to reform his speech pattern, so as not to waste valuable captaining time on drink orders.
>>
File: 472939196.jpg (169KB, 404x594px) Image search: [Google]
472939196.jpg
169KB, 404x594px
>>5372022
Head canon: The replicator's database has a glitch and is missing a temperature value for that specific recipe, so it defaults to room temperature. Picard is mildly annoyed every time he has to restate the obvious, but it's not important enough to get Geordi to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2IJdfxWtPM
>>
>>5372027
Dude you have 23:23:23 in my timezone lol
>>
>>5372323
>2323
dude i'm freaking out
>>
File: IMG_1271.jpg (16KB, 248x203px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1271.jpg
16KB, 248x203px
>>5372027
>23:23
>>5372323
>2323
WHAT
>>
>>5372022
>>5372064
>>5372086

The words can be used interchangeably. He's giving the description of his tea all at once so it doesn't really matter which he says first...
>>
File: 1437950501571.jpg (12KB, 231x231px) Image search: [Google]
1437950501571.jpg
12KB, 231x231px
>>5372110
My head canon is that every starship has a quick-access self-destruct code which can be activated instantly by the commanding officer. Every time we see the self-destruct countdown, it's given in terms of at least a minute. In the 24th century, however, it would be devastating to allow a hostile force access to a Galaxy class starship's database for a whole minute, so there has to be a way to destroy the ship faster.

We know from TOS Bread and Circuses that Starfleet has a history of embedding such meanings in trivial phrases. I believe "Tea, Earl Grey" is the Enterprise's immediate self-destruct key. "Hot" is the countermanding order. If the flagship were ever taken by Romulans, all Picard would have to do would be to order a drink and leave off the temperature. The action would arouse no suspicion and leave no time for prevention.

For example, in the episode Redemption, Picard is offered Earl Grey tea by one of the Dursa sisters. This is supposed to be a demonstration that they've done their research on Picard, but anyone who bothered to know that he likes tea would know that he always prefers it hot. So why offer him plain tea? In this scene, the sisters are warning Picard not to pursue a self destructive act, one which he would have certainly followed otherwise. They are, as a metaphor, telling him that his adherence to his usual customs will destroy him (and the Federation). When Picard seems to be amenable to their offer, and ONLY then, the Dursa sisters offer to heat his tea - to save him from self-destruction.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.