[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

poste ur desktop esforce

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 10

File: desktop.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
desktop.png
1MB, 1366x768px
poste ur desktop esforce
>>
lole is dat Linux
>>
>>5004983
lmao wtf u think fuccboi
>>
>>5004983
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>5004988
wtf is gnu tho

ive heard that there is some sort of dude who wants to make everything free and its cool and all but idk what is really going on

personally i think its amazing that all this gnu stuff exists but why is it so obscure
>>
Linux has nogaems
>muh wine nigguh
>>
>>5005018
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>5004988
>>5005020
I would like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as GNU/Linux, is in fact, a Linux distribution, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Linux distro. GNU is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another open component of a fully functioning Linux system made useful by the Linux kernel and the $DISTRO_NAME packages comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Linux system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Linux which is widely used today is often called "GNU", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux Project.

There really is a GNU, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, and programs are useless without it; they can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the $DISTRO_NAME and the GNU packages: the whole system is basically Linux with other software added, or Linux Distro. All the so-called "GNU" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
>>5005018
i dualboot u shit

not only that but I can play muh source games and that's all i care about tbh
>>
>>5005027
It is unfortunate that you still have nonfree software in your computer.

You need to defenestrate it (which means, either throw Windows out of the computer or throw the computer out of the window).
>>
>>5005031
i dont care about the free aspect of linux
i just like the customization you can do with it
>>
File: desktop.jpg (770KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
desktop.jpg
770KB, 1280x960px
it's in there somewhere
>>
>>5005026
>All the so-called "GNU" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
Well, there's HURD, which is under activ--

Sorry, I can't say that with a straight face.
>>
>>5005116
topkek
>>
>>5005037

>>
File: 1481315465279.jpg (46KB, 369x307px) Image search: [Google]
1481315465279.jpg
46KB, 369x307px
>>5005008
>>5005008
it's an acronym.
GNU is
Not
Unix
>>
>>5005163
wtf is unixx then. plz respond
>>
File: cover.jpg (51KB, 400x579px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
51KB, 400x579px
>>5005168
Now thats the question we all want to know. Try reading this
>>
>>5005171
Unix is anything but that, though.
>>
File: Complexity-classes-diagram.jpg (78KB, 777x720px) Image search: [Google]
Complexity-classes-diagram.jpg
78KB, 777x720px
>>5005174
You seem mistken
>>
>>5004988
chekd. thnx for the knowledge. i want to get a linux system going. i want to run my own apache box
>>
>>5005177
I'm really not. https://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html
>>
File: Doggrammer.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Doggrammer.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>5005168
i thot unix was the just the oldy times 1st server OS, and the ultrix, AIX, Apple, Android descended from it. knida like C is to all the descendant programming languages. but I really don't know all this linux/unix stuff.
>>
>>5005190
there exist programming languages other than C and asm?
>>
>>5005192
Yeah, they're called BASIC and COBOL. I'd stick with C and asm, though.
>>
>>5005195
What about the Shubari languages though!!!????!!?!?!???!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ?!? !? !? !/ 1/! !?! ?? ! !?! ?! ?1 ?!?/1/! ?!? !HJHUH!?
>>
>>5005197
Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get all technical here.
>>
>>5005202
i THINK they DESERVE to be RECOGNIZED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?a
>>
File: Unix_history-simple.svg.png (433KB, 3079x2053px) Image search: [Google]
Unix_history-simple.svg.png
433KB, 3079x2053px
>>5005190
There were lots of others. UN*X won, so you see charts like this nowadays, but it wasn't as if in 1971 every computer was running UN*X.
>>
>>5005206
thats a cool chart, thx
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 194x259px
>>5004982
y u no use Gentoo?
>>
File: richard.jpg (124KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
richard.jpg
124KB, 480x320px
>>5005234
I'd like to clear up some erroneous information about where I stand that is circulating on 4chan and perhaps elsewhere.

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.

See the GNU distros list for the distros that I do recommend.

https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
>>
>>5005273
I've been trying to work towards a GNU-less Gentoo system for a while now. I have most of the pieces in place: sbase as a replacement for coreutils, musl as a replacement for glibc, bmake as a replacement for make, and clang as a replacement for gcc (though of course I'd prefer tcc or scc).

My real concern is bash at the moment, because two core components of Gentoo (ebuild and eselect) make heavy (heavy) use of bashisms, and it's not trivial to consider how to get rid of them. Everything else on my system uses dash (or mksh), but I can't claim to have a GNU-free system while bash still wallows in /bin/.

I could use paludis, which should probably replace ebuild at the cost of a hell of a lot of performance, but eselect, though a non-critical part of the system, will be hard to work around.

I feel a little bad about this project, but the more I look into the GNU project, the more appalled I am by their coding conventions and their attitude towards portability. I want to be able to switch components of my system in and out, in order to constantly pursue a better total system. GNU software strongly resists this through aggressively subtle violations of standards and feature-bloat.

It's the mirror side of "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish". To pick on GCC as an example, I'm free to change it (I've done so, my name is in the ChangeLogs), but after having seen the layers upon layers of poor choices, I'd rather just replace it. That's hard, however, because GCC passive-aggressively pushes its tentacles into other software, whether by outright lying (e.g. the FUD about fgetln(), and that fucking "Please port freadahead.c" message) or anti-competitive (look at all the projects which are written in "GNU C" when the authors thought they were writing ANSI C - good luck porting them all now).
>>
File: 1481999654005.jpg (172KB, 1252x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1481999654005.jpg
172KB, 1252x1280px
>>5004982 my present desktop image is this fine example of an anime woman with 1930's lingerie.

Your fortune: Excellent Luck
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.