[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the hell do people become okay with the idea of death? I

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

File: hiding.jpg (28KB, 600x521px) Image search: [Google]
hiding.jpg
28KB, 600x521px
How the hell do people become okay with the idea of death? I don't care if there's an afterlife or not, just the thought of death makes me uneasy. One day, it's gonna be all over. You die. Your loved ones die. Everybody dies.
It makes me genuinely upset every time I think about it. I don't want to die. I don't understand how people can be okay with the thought of dying
>>
Like anything uncomfortable, most people just willfully ignore it unless they have to face it.
>>
>>39639249
I'm with you; I've been trying to find the answer on youtube ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La8vG4mA0is
>>
I shift between welcoming it when I'm really depressed and being horrified when I'm having bad anxiety. I kinda hope reincarnation is real. I imagine it as starting a new character in the Sims or something.
>>
>>39639290
>>39639295
the idea of reincarnation sounds neat until you get reincarnated as a african child with aids or some shit
>>
>>39639249
>>39639276
This anon is correct.
People aren't okay with it, no matter what. They can't grasp the idea of themselves ceasing to exist. Their memories, their personality, their entire self being erased. Not knowing what will ever come, nobody remembering you.
They just delay thinking about it until the last second.
Then, there are some people who just can't stop thinking about it.
They let it consume them and they commit suicide.
This is not nihilism, pessimism, or any other meaningless term. This is fact.
Nothing you do will ever matter in any way that legitimately impacts our reality. There's no reason to continue living, but for some idiotic reason we continue to hang on to our lives, desperate to find a deeper meaning. In the end, we all die.
>>
That's what alcohol is for.
>>
Well if it is terrorifing enough, go do all the things you wanna do, put hard work doe, and when you are done, be a worthful person of the society
But knowing you are on /r9k/, you will probably just bitch about death and dont do something like literally replacing your weak flesh with strong metal or mentally ascend by using your mind, or shit like that
I will embrace death as i embraced life
With fear and excitement
>>
>>39639350
>nothing you do matters
i hate this fucking meme. Think of all the things we use now that were made by someone in the fucking past. What you do CAN matter, you're the one that chooses to do things that don't matter
>>
>>39639339
Definitely. It makes me appreciate my boring life in the midwest even though I don't have any friends.
In the end, that guy makes a comment that maybe we're all part of the same consciousness which reminded me of something Nanci Danison has said.
>>
>>39639249
Why did you think religion is so popular? It's literally an option to believe that something happens that makes death less relevant.

>>39639388
The idea of "x doesn't matter" is subjective. What matters to you may or may not matter to others. There is no global significance to anything, but there can be subjective significance.

Given that we're extremely self-absorbed as individuals, I don't know why people have a problem with that.
>>
It's terrifying. I got told I'd outgrow it but I haven't. People say I'm stupid for fearing something that I can't stop. In don't understand that reasoning.
Some say that death doesn't feel that bad. I've been clinically dead and it was the most overwhelming panic inducing moment of my life that has been the cause of my severe panic disorder.
So many fucks walk around saying they don't fear death but I've seen one of them die. There was no doubt an incredible terror in his eyes.
>>
We don't have a fucking choice, we're going to die even though we all ignore it. It exists and we are currently unable to prevent it, so nobody talks about it even though it's coming for everyone.
>>
Honestly the one single advantage about being depressed is that death is truly less worrisome. I accept it, it would feel like a release. Sure there may be a faint struggle as I cling to the small pleasures of life but beyond that, no. I want to see if there is anything beyond this, this sucks.

The only problem with death is the dying part, the pain will ruin the experience which is why I avoid suicide. Also life is just marginally better than death right now.
>>
>>39639249
The only part that bothers me is the thought of family dying I fucking HATE knowing this. I don't know how I'll cope with grief knowing I already have severe depression. Im the youngest and once everyone else passes most likely I'll off myself
>>
>>39639249
this is a feel I feel every single day, just think about it. One day will literally be your last with nothing left to look forward to. No more dark stormy nights of shitposting, no more eating all your favorite meals. And no more mummy or sunsets either you'll just close your eyes and hope there'll be something after that.
>>
>>39639453
Imagine if something terrible awaits us all after death. Its possible
>>
>>39639491
I'm afraid of still senses things even after people consider you dead. Like the heat of your coffin or the pain of not being able to breathe or move.
>>
>>39639491
I watched a lets play of Agony and got spooked desu. What if something like that actually happens after you die.
>>
>>39639249
I like the idea of death. Death is what makes life fair. No matter how shitty your life is, you'll be free one day, and no matter how great your life is, you'll be taken down one day.
>>
>I don't want to die

There's your problem. I feel like a piece of shit regardless of how my life is going and I want to die even though I'm in a great place right now because even having everything I could want or need doesn't make me happy.
>>
>the only alternative would be to live forever
No fucking thanks
Forever is way too damn long.
>>
>>39639540
I am perfectly fine with being immortal. It's just being able to live without stopping. No time limit.
>>
>>39639249
Eventually, you'll suffer enough that it doesn't seem so bad anymore.
>>
>>39639249
You weren't upset about death before your birth, you will not be upset about death after your death
Why be uneasy about a thing you have no power over, you're just going to waste your time on earth worrying
>>
>>39639580
If you already consider your life as being of little value right now, imagine how worse it would be if you'd never die.
>>
>>39639580
but remember that everyone you love will die. One day you will sit alone at your computer and remember that your family is dead. You will never see them again because of this curse of immortality given to you
>>
File: 1504481408673.jpg (29KB, 460x273px) Image search: [Google]
1504481408673.jpg
29KB, 460x273px
You just kind of have to force yourself accept it. Worrying about things you can't change is a waste of time. Spend your life enjoying it or dont, in the end it wont matter anyway.
>>
>>39639249
Death is good even if it's scary and uncomfortable. Death releases you from anymore pain; insecurities; and any feelings of misery. It's ultimately the one solution to every problem imaginable. However, it merely serves as a last resort and should not be pursued. Let death pursue you. It's the ultimate punishment from God for being sinful. But just being born into this world is sin in itself and death must be the price we pay.
>>
>>39639685
Epicurus is fucking dumb. You should fear it because it will be what causes you to not exist
>>
>>39639650
If its infinite , it should be of great value.
>>
>>39639650
Not OP but that's not good logic. Having limited time to do something that will be forgotten and wasted, never to have consciousness again is what demotivates people.
>>
>>39639721
>>39639729
You wouldn't have any incentive to do anything at any given time.
I guess that's a moot point to argue over on a board where most people are NEETs wasting their only short life though.
>>
>>39639249
Sometimes the prospect of death passes over me while I'm bored during lecture. I usually tear up for a second or two then think of something else.
>>
>>39639708
By the time it does that you will not care is the point, jesus how scared can you little babies be, you will not spend eternity dying, it tends to come and go pretty fast and after it there is nothing to worry
If you're that afraid of death then throw yourself at a religion
>>
i want what this guy is smoking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVa5gV1rXlc
>>
File: tfw.png (28KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.png
28KB, 1536x864px
>>3963924
I constantly have a desire for death every single day. It's normal now to me
>>
>>39639837
I want to see the fear in your eyes as you die then get brought back to life. The feeling is phenomenally terrifying. It doesn't ever leave you. I've had some close calls being a stupid teenager and still remained fearless until it actually took a hold of me one day and I could feel every organ in my body shutting down.
>>
File: hot manpads action.webm (1MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
hot manpads action.webm
1MB, 854x480px
Look at it this way, there's a 99% chance you won't eat shit nearly as hard as the guys in pic related
>>
>don't particularly like my life
>the thought of death is neutral because it means less of something I don't really enjoy

That and you don't have to worry about it until it happens, at which point you're still not going to be worried because you'll be dead.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Y_ztEW1NE

you suffer through one thought, the quickest way to move on is to let it go and embrace the next, to let go again perhaps.
>>
>>39640017
Well ive almost choked to death (lost consciousness) but i didn't get any traumas for it, i mean it was fucked up but i barely remember anything from the situation apart from trying to fill my lungs with air to no avail
>>
I was with my grandma when she died. I was playing video games and I hear her yelling my name from her bedroom and she's sweating and in pain and telling me something is wrong.

I call the ambulance and stay by her then she tells me to throw her body in the ditch because nothing matters and she let out a death croak and dies before the ambulance arrived.

Kind of fucked me up
>>
>>39639249
Honestly, my life has been so full of misery and suffering, the idea that its not going to last forever is extremely comfy to me. I hate the human race and the fact that every pathetic sack of meat is going to pass eventually is very comforting. At this point I don't even care about an afterlife. Its all going to end, thats the only absolute.
>>
>>39640107
I went into cardiac arrest. I was crawling on the ground in and out of consciousness and my body's fight or flight system was absolutely fucked and out of my control, driving a fear into me that nothing could stop. I vomited everywhere, blood was in my eyes from hitting my head on the pavement. Sounds echoed. Flashes of doctors and medical staff. Seizures and constant flatlining then coming back into focus. And they say that cardiac arrest is one of the best ways to go out.
>>
>>39640205
Try nearly drowning and you'll know a awful alternative way to go out, i inhaled some water on my way to the shore and passed out trying to breath, how i survived with watery lungs is beyond me i probably hacked some of it out when unconscious or i had enough room to breathe a little bit, not a good way to go i must say, if water boarding gives the same sensation of drowning then yankees are fucked up motherfuckers
>>
>>39639650
I consider my life as being of little value because the things around me are not enjoyable to experience. Being alive and able to think, listen to music, eat tasty food, those are things I could do forever.
>>39639684
>but remember that everyone you love will die.
Normies always give me this shit about immortality. What they don't realize is that I don't have anyone to love and never have, immortality would just be life as it is.
>>
>>39639249
i learned to appreciate the opportunity of life over fixating on the fact it eventually leaves us

i mean, you could just be stuck in the limbo of no consciousness forever, but you get a ~50-year blot of something different

i also see death as an end to the bad more than the good, which is weird since im not normally a glass half full kind of person
>>
>>39640486
>the things around me are not enjoyable to experience
>Being alive and able to think, listen to music, eat tasty food, those are things I could do forever.
Which one is it
>>
>>39639249
>upset
I'm a little happier every time I think about the fact that both myself and my life will be lost to time forever.
>>
File: 200-human-disposal.png (1MB, 800x4266px) Image search: [Google]
200-human-disposal.png
1MB, 800x4266px
>fearing death and not this possible future scenario
>>
>>39640710
>he'll probably last another 80 or 90 years
The sweet release of death wins once again.
>>
into each life some rain must fall, etc.

I'm more afraid of my family dying tbqhwy.
>>
iirc, death anxiety is much worse when you are young, have a low ego or are neither very religious or atheistic.

/r9k/ fits into all of those categories.
>>
File: IMG_7231.jpg (39KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7231.jpg
39KB, 750x1334px
>>39639388
>Think of all the things we use now that were made by someone in the fucking past.
>the past

you mean within 12,000 years ago? humanity's tiny sliver of time with respect to the earth? human civilization has existed for 0.0000026% of the earth's history. even if civilization collapse within the next 1,000 years, thats nothing.

homo sapiens will either evolve into something else, or go extinct. at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how advanced we become. it's all still a microscopic sliver of time upon a speck orbitting a speck in a disc of other specks in a grand open space of nothingness.
>>
File: 1449024260517.png (10KB, 255x200px) Image search: [Google]
1449024260517.png
10KB, 255x200px
>>39639249
You're looking at it from the wrong angle OP. Dying probably feels better than living. Even says it in the Bible. You could die, and be like "Man I should've offed myself a long time ago".

Also Normies are like women in the sense of they don't actually understand Morality or Ethics. They only reinforce what they've been told is socially acceptable as opposed to actual indoctrination or principle. Because they lack critical thinking, and or do not posses the drive to eradicate the things that make the world worse, I.E. the things that bring us suffering. Therefore they don't consider the negative aspects of their decisions because their sense of morality is not objective, but arbitrarily reliant on the opinions of others.
>"Dude weed should be legal cuz Le Health even though we smoke it recreationally".
>"Dude we should accept each other's differences even we we're literally making up sexual preferences to marginalize sexually immoral degenerates into achieving affirmative action for no apparent reason other than we feel uncomfortable that people look down on us for our poor life decisions".
Or my Favorite
"Dude you should accept her because even though she is a whore and showed a blatant disregard for any man's affection, you should accommodate her the same as you would a virgin girl.
Or the infamous
>"You can't say that word because you're projecting your standards unto us because that makes us feel bad, while I'm literally restricting you of your God given rights to the first amendment, which ultimately disables and degrades you as not only a tax paying citizen, but as a Human Being.
These are normie's Morals. You see how retarded they are?

Also A few Scriptures:
Ecclesiastes 4:2: And I declared that the dead, who had already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive.
>>
I try to live extremely healthy so I can live to old age and just die in my sleep one day. Literally the best way to die, you don't want to die in a hospital or have some injury or illness that weakens you towards death over months or years.

A stoic attitude towards death is also why being ugly doesn't bother me, because everyone becomes ugly if they live long enough. The wrinkles, the hair loss, the graying, it won't bother me.
>>
I really, really like that comic
>>
>>39639249
It's reality, anon. If there's genuinely nothing you can do to change it, then what's the point in being upset about it? The adult thing to do is accept it and live your life as best you can. Or you can do the childish thing and either ignore it or make up fantasies about afterlives and reincarnation and other improbable nonsense. Either way the same thing happens so the only difference is in your mental state/
>>
>>39641244
Calling someone privileged is basically an insult nowadays
>>
>>39641475
Check your privileged privilege
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.