[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since i've started exercising and eating better my depression

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

Since i've started exercising and eating better my depression has completely disappeared

Maybe you guys should try it too?
>>
sure let me just gather up all the motivation ive been saving for 4 years, oh wait theres nothing here.
>>
Same thing happened to me. Just eating frozen veggies and walking everyday got me started into a full routine. Now I'm happier than I've ever been.
>>
>>39583533
Exersiese doesn't have to be working out a gym anon

go for a walk for 30 minutes or play with your dog/cat
>>
>>39583402
I suppose I might as well lift some weights or something. Why not? I could feel better. Worst case scenario nothing changes. Will post in this thread again if it improves my mood or if I notice anything.
>>
>>39583402
I did
I ended up worse over time
>>
>>39583402
If exercise cures your "depression", you were never depressed. You were just temporarily bored.
>>
>>39583662
Hey man. go fuck yourself you don't know what i've been through. I hope you die in two fires
>>
>>39583695
I know you're a dumb lying sack of shit with a low IQ.

>My life is terrible! My god it's so horrible that picking up a heavy thing and putting it back down fixed everything!
Yeah, nah you're an entitled cunt. Get the fuck back to /pol/ with the other entitled, middle class white boys who've never experienced any hardship in their entire fucking lives.
>>
>>39583748
Dudes probably under 20
If working out and eating right was the cure, no one would be fucking depressed.
>>
>>39583748
Low quality attempt
>>39583792
Diet and exercise are scientifically proven to decrease depression and produce endorphins which make you happy.
>>
>>39583402
>my depression has completely disappeared
You weren't depressed then
There is no cure for clinical depression. Only ways to reduce the symptoms and allow you to semi-function
>>
>>39583829
>mah diet
>mah exercise

Dude fuck off already with your "science"
All it does is temporarily release endorphins, it doesn't "cure" shit.
And even then, if your brain already mush, good fucking luck
>>
>>39583792
I guarantee he's early 20s at the latest. Probably still lives at home with mommy still paying for everything.

>If working out and eating right was the cure, no one would be fucking depressed.
Normies can't comprehend that their attempts at logic are full retard.

>>39583829
Oh shut up you retarded faggot. You've never been unhappy in your life and deserve death for being so entitled and insufferable.
>>
>>39583829
>Diet and exercise are scientifically proven to decrease depression and produce endorphins which make you happy.

Not exactly the same thing as "cure."

I understand where the edge is coming from and it's not incorrect. Even pharmacological psychiatry can only play a guessing game in trying to "cure" depression. And they can influence chemicals in your brain directly to stabilize them. But sometimes- they can't. Every medical practitioner / friend who's been in therapy has told me that- that every psychiatrist knows there's incurable cases.

If direct manipulation of brain chemistry can sometimes be ineffective at permanently fixing depression, how can anyone claim that doing the same thing but in a very roundabout and less effective way is a surefire cure? It's not. Come on.
>>
>>39583402

Got healthier habits too. It hasn't cured my depression but it does feel more in the background. I guess it's better than before.
>>
>>39583402

Beating depression feels a bit like a pyramid scheme, anon. You need motivation to start adopting these healthy habits that may help you regain motivation. Like depression itself- it's a paradoxical and ambivalent situation you can't get out of. Like, I'd need to have already ingested an avocado and ran a mile to get my brain in a state where it's chemically capable of running a mile or eating an avocado. That's how it works, get it?
>>
Running and lifting give me a short-term high, but I've been doing it for a year, and I continue to fall into depressions.

Meditation I've been doing for ten years but only recently - when I started meditating more seriously, that is, being more diligent about not getting lost in thought during meditation (as well as practicing mental discipline even while not meditating) - has it produced profound results. Unfortunately I've found meditation's effects hard to predict. I have felt bliss that I haven't felt since childhood, but I can't access that state of mind at will. If I'm meditating well and regularly, sometimes it happens. That's all I know.
>>
>>39583402
I'm probably not depressed because I don't want drugs or exercise, I need a reason to live. So I guess it's just me being stupidly existential. I ate some corn earlier though
>>
>>39584049
What even is meditating? Is it just trying not to think?

>>39583402
I feel like I'll become dependent on running, and that makes me think about how things are woefully deterministic

I do encourage everyone to watch this though. It's scary accurate
https://youtube.com/watch?v=LO1mTELoj6o
>>
>>39584148
>Is it just trying not to think?

No, you can think, but you have to let the thoughts float by you like clouds around a mountain or something.
>>
File: chicken.jpg (155KB, 850x746px) Image search: [Google]
chicken.jpg
155KB, 850x746px
>>39583402
We all know that chickens wuz dinos nigga
>>
File: 1482293098846.jpg (35KB, 583x439px) Image search: [Google]
1482293098846.jpg
35KB, 583x439px
>lose 120lbs and eat healthy
>still a 25 year old ugly manlet KHV that wants to commit suicide
>>
>>39584049
To expand on this post, my own depression - call it serious or not serious - seems to be a result of poor mental discipline. I don't have control over my thoughts. What meditation did for me was train the grip I had on what I was thinking about. Whereas before I was helpless to follow any terrible thought that appeared in my head - whether it was embarrassment about the past or anxiousness about the future - after meditation it felt like I had a choice. I could follow those thoughts or I could banish them and return my attention to physical sensations like my body or the breath. I learned that, for me, and for other people with more serious depressions it might be different, but I found an inherent joy in being when this joy wasn't being buried by bad thoughts.

>>39584148
As I mentioned, I've experienced some profound joy from meditating, but to be honest, I still don't know a lot about it. I know that for ten years I was meditating this way: sit down, allow thoughts and sensations to flow, and try to simply watch them in a detached way. This approach didn't do much for me. It was only after I started exercising control over where my attention was going - away from thoughts, toward the breath and the body - that I started to see results. So for example a thought like "What would you do if [terrible scenario]?" That's an enticing thought, and you might feel like it's important and necessary to prepare for this imaginary scenario that's probably never going to happen, so you follow and you start drafting different approaches to it in your head. Well, when this happens I simply exercise control: stop. I turn away from the thought before it can develop. Return attention to the breath and body. There are lots of different ways to meditate, lots of traditions, and I don't claim to be an authority on any of them, but this sort of practice has had effects for me.
>>
>>39583924
Ok tumblerina
>>
>>39584394
Nice response bucko
Maybe you belong in reddit
>>
>>39583924
Fat lazy waste of space detected. This may come as a shock but some people are fine with putting forth effort.
>>
>>39584360
Huh. I think i might need to do this. But why shouldnt you follow that thought? Is it because you need to focus on other things? I've been writing down random shit for a couple years now. I guess that's why I spend so much time on 4chan. You see a thread like that and the information is just relevant or interesting enough to entice you. However I guess it would be better to build a framework first. I could wait for the situation to come to me but I'd rather be prepared, but I guess that's life
>>
>>39583974
Maybe think of it as a "might as well" approach. Might as well run cause you're just gonna be sitting otherwise. Perhaps imagine looking back at present you as future you, and being like wish I ran instead of shitposted
>>
>>39585014
It's hard to explain, but I'll try. I think we believe that when we're doing all this negative thinking, that we're solving our problems - whether it's about "resolving" something that happened in the past (do you ever reach resolution?) or something that we fear is going to happen in the future (and how many times has it actually happened that way?), but most of the time we're just making ourselves crazy and not doing any good at all. Obviously: there are times when real dangers are imminent and we need to prepare for them. But most of the time, that's not what's going on. At least not in my life. When I'm depressed, I feel like my life is some great drama, but nothing is going on. A fake problem is a problem that actually does go away when you stop thinking about it. And what I found is that when I was able to exercise control over my thoughts, I was better able to deal with problems when they did come up. Bottom line, everyone's different, but gaining control over what I thought about and didn't think about, an ability meditation strengthened (but which can weaken too, like a muscle, I've found, if you stop), really helped me out and made me happier. Not forever. Right now I haven't meditated in a week, got a bad night's sleep, been sitting around all day, and I don't feel good. But I've felt it work in the past.
>>
Did that, did not help tho. I even feel worse kinda, because I do not know what could help now.
>>
File: 1501521596599.png (874KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1501521596599.png
874KB, 800x800px
>>39583402
>used to work out regularly
>used to try and be social
>used to try and think like a normie
>got rejected three times
>no friends by the end of the year
>realize I'm pathetic and was never meant to be like them
>depression and apathy

If those things I used to do could not stop depression and apathy in the first place THEN HOW ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO REMOVE THEM RHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I gave up on everything
>>
>>39585249
Nice reflection my friend. You sum up pretty much how my thought process goes every time I'm kind of down and don't see a way out. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do, if anything, about solving the past or prepare for the future. But getting my thoughts organized allows me to 'see', at least temporarily, a sort of path and I find myself going through it more lightly.
>>
>>39583402
My problem is from outside sources. I can't stand being around people. University is absolute hell and staying fit just helps me escape a little.
>>
>>39585468
>University is absolute hell
Two days here and I feel like I won't make it. On one hand I feel repulsed by normies and on the other I feel guilty for not being with them (not trying) and I feel alone because I have zero friends and Im far from home

>inb4 work out or hang with other people
>>
>>39584900
I used to go to the gym 4-5 days a week and eat right you dumb fuck.
It doesn't cure shit is all I'm saying.
>>
>>39585249
Huh, that makes a lot of sense, espcecially the whole thinking we are solving our problems. What do you do instead? I guess it helps focus, so I have to pick something to do lol. Although I guess I need to reevaluate if my problems with the past really do need to be resolved, or,if I'll be uncomfortable not thinking about them. Hmm, set a time,for them? I don't want to live an unexamined life. I've always thought of meditation as hippy-dippy bullshit but I'll guess I'll give it a try now. Hope your day gets better anon
>>
>>39583402
>exercise everyday
>still have no job
>prospects of getting a decent one are slim to none

Haha yeah no depression just work out and eat right hahaha yeah bro.
>>
>>39585491
I definitely feel the same as you, at least I commute so I get to work out in peace. I think I'd die having to actually live with them.
>>
>>39585491
Well what would you want life to be like and what can be done realistically? Do you want a good small or larger group of friends you like? How do you expect to do this without meeting people?

>>39585370. (Warning blog post ahead)
I had a gf(tee), couple good friends, and was going to uni but I threw it all away. I think I might have fallen for memes though. I was working for more work and in a relationship I didnt enjoy and had made a lot of mistakes. Now after staying in bed all the time I have a little bit more energy but still have racing thoughts about everything. I've been reading some starting strength and trying to read Aristotle but my attention span is garbage. I feel lonely when I get off the internet which is weird. In that I kind of want friends, but I don't want to be dependent on other people for happiness. I also don't feel like bliss when I'm hanging around other people but I guess thinking life like that is idealistic. I have a bit more energy and don't feel like 100% shit which is weird cause I have no reasons to be happy sans not having aids or something. I don't even know what would make me happy, I think back on times I was but I left that and dont think my past wants would long up with now.
>>
>>39585491
You are just not accustomed to being away from home. Just go and try to do things so you have some friends. Your homesickness will clear in a week and you will never want to go back home.
>>
>>39585521
I used to think that as long as I had a will to live that even if things were shitty I'd be able to do it. If you look at things as if all we own is our effort maybe that would help, but I guess we need some light at the end of the tunnel
>>
Nothing fixes your bone structure an that is all that matters.
>>
>>39585685
>appearance is the only thing that matters
Glad I'm not in high school anymore
It's weird that people seem to forget their individual being in insecurity, thinking themselves lesser for things outside if their control. You're not any less of a person, and why would you care about someone who thought that way anyway? They're obviously retarded nigga
>>
>>39585737
No, but it's one of the most important things.
>>
>>39585760
If you value it.

Think for yourself dont let the internet do it for you
>>
I started meditating and doing simply yoga. I don't listen to much music anymore and mostly listen to chanting.Two of my favorites are Om Mani Padme Hum and the White Tara. While doing much of anything I'll chant the White Tara repeatedly and as long as what I'm doing doesn't require much thought (like cleaning or organizing or eating) it all goes much more smoothly. I'll clean more quickly and diligently; I don't worry about the taste of the food; everything just runs more smoothly which helps elevate my mood. If I get particularly stuck in a thought pattern or experience something that gives me anxiety or anger I like to chant Om Mani Padme Hum slowly and deliberately and that keeps the negativity at bay.

I've been doing this for a couple weeks now and I already feel less anxious and less blue. I can't see I feel happier but less bothered by the unhapiness. Except when I burn incense and meditate or really focus on a mantra then I do feel immense peace. Every day I carry a little bit more of that peace into everyday life, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0IwRT-MLNM
>>
File: 1497082315614.jpg (67KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
1497082315614.jpg
67KB, 400x533px
>started exercising, lost some weigth, was eating healthy
>still a friendless loser
It's a meme not worth wasting energy for.
>>
>>39585847
Everyone values it
Think what for myself?
Life isnt some self help book. You can think positive thoughts and hope for a good outcome.
>>
>>39584492
what an insufferable faggot you are
>>
>>39585916
thanks for the rebuttle anon, now I know you're 15
>>
>>39585881
Everyone values what they choose to value.
>>39585880
How is working out going to get you friends nigga? That's like complaining my faucet still leaks because I put gas in my car. Address the problem
>>
>>39585980
Yeah and most people value looks,
What's your point anon?
>>
File: 1504732514317.gif (2MB, 332x332px) Image search: [Google]
1504732514317.gif
2MB, 332x332px
>>39583575

>Walking is exercising
Maybe If your +350lb land whale.
>>
>>39585997
Just because most people dosomething doesnt mean you should count it as virtue. If something is retarded it doesnt matter how many people do it, it's still retarded
>>
File: 1301087053089.jpg (5KB, 145x138px) Image search: [Google]
1301087053089.jpg
5KB, 145x138px
>>39586112
Do you think the retarded self-improvement faggots would be able to grasp other people point, you are literally wasting your time just laugh at the retards
>>
This entire thread
>anon finds something that makes him happy and tries to share it with everyone
>everyone bitches and moans about how it doesnt work but haven't even tried it
>they still expect shit to change without changing themselves
>>
File: 1400606764487.jpg (29KB, 399x385px) Image search: [Google]
1400606764487.jpg
29KB, 399x385px
>>39586708
>he still think the people in this board want advice or change
why the fuck you faggots keep posting shit that obviously belongs in >>>/adv/ here and expect anything different than being laughed is beyond me
>>
File: 1495679594110.png (6KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
1495679594110.png
6KB, 120x120px
>>39586622
>Do you think the retarded self-improvement faggots would be able to grasp other people point,

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>39586708
Has always been like that here. This board is niggers, its the crab in a bucket version for introverts.
Archive anything at all and you are accused of acting like a normie and promptly dragged back down
>>
>>39585873
Reminded me of this post in response to a Hemingway quote about being smart and happy

>I agree with the quote to a degree but op you are like the countless number of psuedo-intellectuals ive known who flatter themselves as superior to the stupid masses. unintelligent people are also miserable. everyone is good at hiding their pain. happiness is just generally a myth.

>there is however an echelon of intelligent people, those who are intelligent enough to realize emotions are fleeting and arbitrary. they don't indulge in despair, angst, depression, self pity, boredom or whatever the hell it is that usually bothers intelligent people. im not one of them. ive only had the privilege of knowing a few. i on the other hand am nervous, anxious, and restless all the goddamn time. is that a burden i carry because of my intelligence? i wish. a really intelligent person can dispense with neurosis. now that i think of it the quote is such vanity. and depression is so fashionable these days. "im sad, that must mean i'm smart." or "i'm smart, that's why i'm sad." jesus christ like anyone thinking along these lines has gone from patting themselves on the back to jerking themselves off. and not just like a casual before-i-go-to-sleep, under-my-clothes jerkoff. i mean like a fully stripped on the bed in the middle of the afternoon lubriderm 1080p porno at 75% volume while your roommates are at work kinda jerkoff session.

>op realism isn't a cause for depression. either you understand and have internalized meaninglessness or just the opposite you see the absolute and total divinity in every thing, person, and moment and that means you are either unaffected or in awe, just complete awe and wonder every breath you take. the latter should cause some goddamn humility in which case you understand yourself as the most stupid amidst the throng of idiots. fucking shit. im done. im gonna jerk off to holly michaels. goodnight.

Guess i just thought of deferring emotion for goal
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.