[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does suffering really build character?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

File: 1499213106923.png (1MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1499213106923.png
1MB, 1280x960px
Does suffering really build character?
>>
It also hurts you and can potentially fuck you up.
>>
>>39563575
not really. it is only what people with shitty lives tell themselves so it makes them feel superior in some way to those who didn't have shitty lives.
>>
Nope. You become either an apathetic stone person or a pessimistic, hateful person.
>>
if you don't let it break you it does
>>
File: 1504214678757.jpg (30KB, 500x281px)
1504214678757.jpg
30KB, 500x281px
>>39563575
I took this pic from some oldfag on 25+. Wish I could talk to him again, I like it that we have common references
>>
>>39563575
Or craziness, depending on the person.
>>
>>39563575
Maybe. I find that the longer I go like this though, the more cold and antisocial I become. The only emotions I feel most days is indifference and anger, basically what
>>39563631
describes
>>
>>39563575
no

makes you bitter and envious of those that have everything better while not having to suffer
>>
>>39563575
No, struggling and coming out on top does
>>
Depends. Are we talking about once now and then or constant suffering every single day?
Pain can build character and can help one to learn but constant pain can make you like the other anons said.
>>
>>39563575
Suffering builds character, but it's usually not desirable. Only repeated success builds the ideal personality.
>>
>>39563575
Only up to the first two tons. After that it destroys character.
>>
File: 1502197607089.jpg (83KB, 725x1223px) Image search: [Google]
1502197607089.jpg
83KB, 725x1223px
>>39563648
i miss those old lost threads on /tv/
>>
No, overcoming adversity builds character.
>>
>>39563575
>Does suffering really build character?
>Posts Mendou
Enough about anime, suffering only builds a grim pessimistic character. Barely anything positive comes out of it.
>>
File: Knight-of-Cups-2.png (871KB, 1600x669px)
Knight-of-Cups-2.png
871KB, 1600x669px
>to suffer binds you to something higher than yourself, higher than your own will. it takes you from the world to find what lies beyond it
>>
Suffering is necessary to build character, I think.
>>
I think there is a limit.
I have c ptsd. Suffering has ruin my life. I am scared of almost every thing. There was a time that I was more brave but, I have a really hard time getting things started.
>>
I believe it does to a certain point. I also believe we have a breaking point where it turns harmful.
>>
>>39563575
NO, it wont build you character
>>
Well, kinda.
People who had it easy are often scared of challenges. But to those who have suffered and overcome challenges daily, any such situation is trivial.
>>
>>39563575
Not to be edgy, but I've pretty much suffered my entire life

>parents divorced at 3
>raped at 4
>father tried to kill me at 6
>bullied until 14
>thought I had a chance but no, started cutting myself
>drank bleach at 16

Now I have low self esteem and yeah the cutting stuff was edgy but I didn't know how else to deal with the fact that I hated myself. Still do. Now I'm a clinically depressed loser making his way through college only to get out on the other side and not know what to do with life. Wouldn't recommend the experience. If anything, feels like I lost character.
>>
>>39563575
Yes, but I really don't like the kind of character it's building.
>>
>>39564587
Once again I'm in a shitty mood, I've read about someone who has it worse, and now I don't know whether to feel shittier for being a friendless khv despite not having experienced a real tragedy or abuse, or to feel better because I'm not you.
>>
>>39564777
Your digits confirm the feels
I'm a khv loser too, and depressed, but just the same I have never lived a tragedy
I am not maied or mentally handiccapped
I'm a 5/10 and a I have a family some robots woild kill for

I dont know whats wrong with me really, my mind doesnt belong here
>>
>>39564777
Don't feel worse. I'm a piece of shit that deserved everything that happened to me. I hate myself through and through, and nothing can convince me otherwise of that. You, on the other hand...if you have it better than me, being a friendless khv isn't something to blame yourself for. Not like you're deliberately going out of your way for those things you know? Live life so you're happy, and change to make things in life happier for you. It's too late for me, not for you.
>>
>>39564902
I actually felt better before I came here. I've spend two years on /pol/, and I thought more about politics, happenings, muh 54%, Eurabia, etc, and my extremely poor social life for a 19yo didn't concern me that much, I thought it would come, I just need to b myself.
Two months on /r9k/ and I already feel like giving up, constantly wallow in self-hatred, the motivation to do anything is gone, existential dreads hits every evening and night, I even started jogging at 10pm every day and exercising, not for health reasons but just because it takes my mind off of it all.
There's something wrong with this board. I never asked for these feels.
>>
Technically, yes. Everything builds character though. Nobody would be how they are without environmental and situational occurrences.
>>
>>39563631
>an apathetic stone person
That's what people means by "building character". Most people don't do that though. They become pessimistic or hateful instead.
>>
>>39563575
No.

Merely suffering is not sufficient enough to develop character. Suffering is the catalyst through which character is developed. When a person is thrown into environments where they are disoriented, the person in question must strive to reorient themselves an in the process reaffirm their beliefs or discover new sides of them that have yet to emerge.

Suffering by itself will not get anyone anywhere. There are millions of miserable people who never get anywhere despite years of suffering. They instead develop a caricature that perpetuates their misery.
>>
no and yes

Temporary suffering gives you some deeper understanding on what many people go through on a daily basis, thus making it likely that you will have more gratitude for your normal state of mind. In short, the addition and relief from pain is a great motivator, and the fear of relapsing into something worse works for some people. On the other hand, extended periods of suffering will do no more than grind down your character and mental strength to dust, leaving you a depressed and probably hormonal wreck in the process.

What really helps build character is instances of adversity, in which you learn to compose yourself in stressful scenarios, and the self-confidence you gain from overcoming said problems. There is also something to be said for putting yourself out of your comfort zone, which adds to your level of independence.
>>
>>39563575
Yes but people dont really even care about character. Ive met people who were short virgins that were really quiet in person but had lots of friends and was an asshole when he was with them. If you really want friends you have to suck up to people. Otherwise if you dont everyone will hate you and bully you.
>>
File: what_going.jpg (288KB, 1920x1200px)
what_going.jpg
288KB, 1920x1200px
>>39565233
Fucking leave my mate, both /pol/ and /r9k/, trust me, this shit changes people way too much. The boards suck ap all of your stamina and level you down with them, just like hanging in a shit company does irl does.
Just leave and don't come back, you have already gained all the wisdom you possibly could find in here. Won't be getting anything other than shit and timewaste after that
Capture your attention with youtube or games or hobby & shit, after several days you will feel much better and won't be wanting to waste yourself in here
Trust me, merely associating with this place wears you, I've been through this and now I'm here again because of weak will
>>
>>39563575
Make or break.

Some break due to pre disposition through either genetics and or envionmemt, for example, being born male, low IQ from parents, soceity at the time, your culture and plain luck.
>>
>>39565922
Furthermore, this board is a perfect example of broken people too weak for reality, few of us escape but how can we be expected to, it's a spider web with school, alcohol and drugs and girls.
>>
>>39563575
depends on how you respond to suffering
>>
>given a perfect life from birth
>slowly and surely from my snap into reality, tragedy and misfortune followed me at every turn
>learned about Christianity at the age of 2 and spent most of time thinking of who created our creator
>went to church for the second time at around 3
>a statue of Jesus sent a shiver down my 3 year old spine
>looked around at excitement and multidimensional afraid.
>Started seeing 4D abstractions at that moment. When my brain tried intercepting what God looked like I got back in return 4D tasserect lines in my visual eye
>when I got home from my first sitting at church my mother gave me 20 lashings with a belt for looking around in awe. She mistook my excitement for me being disobedient towards God.
>>
Yes. Obviously.

When you've seen the worst of the worst, you'll have a better perspective of the best of the best, and also a respect for those who, live more impoverished lives than you.
>>
>>39566237
/x/ in a nutshell
Spew random words that sound scientific or OOOO SPOOPY and you got yourself a "good" post
>>
>>39563575
depends on the dosage, I'd wager.
>>
>>39563575
Suffering is lessons learned without asking a question.
>>
>>39564587
>drank bleach
do you have that small-intestine-to-mouth thing now?
>>
>>39563575
Irrelevant, those who have experienced nothing but success and positive feedback/affirmation are still better off
It's this >>39563602
and this >>39563631
>>
if suffering builds character than i guess all those needles that went into the inside of my butt cheeks made me some kind of idiot character
>>
>>39563575
Only if you overcome/lessen the suffering or learn to live/cope with it. Being a punching bag for life and other people doesn't build character at all.
>>
>>39568230
Better off how? Try watching the movie Vanilla Sky, with Tom Cruise.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.