[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't it have any good RPGs?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

File: n64.jpg (37KB, 1019x449px) Image search: [Google]
n64.jpg
37KB, 1019x449px
Why didn't it have any good RPGs?
>>
there is no such thing as a good rpg
>>
>>39494682
>Paper Mario
>>
File: 1498097547496.jpg (41KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1498097547496.jpg
41KB, 480x360px
>>39494682
it does its called QUEST 64 and its the greatest RPG of all time
>>
Ogre Battle 64 is the closest you'll get
>>
>>39494682
Because cartridges were backwards bullshit and Sony was more aggressive and won the RPG developers over from Nintendo.
>>
>>39494682
Real question is why didn't this have anything good besides RPGs?

>>39494694
This + Ogre Battle 64, both are pretty good, even if they were too easy.
>>
>>39494682
>RPG on a 64mb cartridge or a 700mb CD (maybe more than one CD)
hmm which piece of hardware should i develop for
>>
>>39494738
PS1 had some good platformers and racing games
>>
>>39494717

I would have to agree with this anon, it's pretty much what killed the N64.
>>
>>39494738
N64 had
>Plattformers
>Goldeneye 007
>20 games that were considered good, rest was garbage.

PS1 had
>Sports games
>Racing games
>Plattformers
>Survival Horror
>Shooting games
>RPGs
>Sidescrollers
>Shoot'em ups
>Flight simulators
>Actual games
>100s of games that were considered good, old gems still found today.

Nintendo played safe than sorry and lost
>>
Does zelda count? That's all I remember. You can't fit that much on a cartridge
>>
>>39494959
basically every nintendo console has
>Platformers
>A Shooter
>10-20 games that were considered good, rest was garbage
>>
>>39495045
Lack of third party support killed the company over the years.
The only way Nintendo can keep up nowadays is by creating gimmicky consoles and console features.
>>
>>39494694
Op said RPGs not RPG
>>
>>39494682

Because rpgs are boring as shit and queers like you need to die.
>>
>>39495207
don't you have a dank CoD video to be editing or something
>>
>>39494682
It all comes down to the fact that Sony chose a CD-based system, Nintendo stuck with cartridges.

This alienated a lot of third party developers, including Japanese JRPG devs, who desired the greater storage capacity of CDs that allowed them to make bigger, more expansive games.

The remarkable thing is that Nintendo still didn't learn from their mistake with their next console, as they made the GameCube run from those tiny mini-disc things that had nowhere near the storage capacity of the PS2/Xbox's DVDs.

If Nintendo had have made the N64 CD-based, Final Fantasy probably would have never moved to Sony, a lot more third party games would have been crossplatform between N64 and PS1, and the console market would have become a Nintendo vs Sony contest rather than eventually developing into Sony vs Microsoft.
>>
The only good RPGs are on PC.
>WoW
>icewind dale
>fallout 2+new vegas
>deus ex
>dark souls
>witcher 3
>baldur's gate
>neverwinter nights
>fucking runescape

Consoles are mostly just good for platformers, sports games and arcadey shit like shmups.
>>
>>39495246

CoD died on after the 2nd game. The only thing that made that worthless pile of shit any good was the WWII setting back when WWII was all the rage amongst angsty teens looking to rebel from nigger culture.

I'm 32, neet, khhv. Trust me when I say I need escapism more than anyone else but rpgs simply don't cut it.
>>
>>39495370
What kind of games are you into?
>>
>>39495283
So why did the Saturn do so shit? You had the popularity of Sega coming off the Genesis, what was so special about Sony that they could bring out the weakest (and slowest) console (at least of the main three) and just curb stomp everyone?

It just weirds me out that both Sega and Nintendo had excellent third-party support all throughout the 3rd and 4th gen that just flocked to Sony, who had zero experience with video games at the time.

Same thing with Microsoft too I guess but at least they have DirectX and PC experience to tout.
>>
>>39495335
>doesn't mention planescape: torment

never post again
>>
>>39495335
>WoW
>Runescape
>RPGs
Umm, what.
>>
N64 was inferior but there was just something comfy about it. Maybe it was the time I was growing up in. I did not switch to sony until the PS2. The PS2 still to this day was fucking ahead of its time, the games resemble modern gaming. But back to the N64 I'd be playing goldeneye with my brother, army men, army men aircombat, TANX, tony hawk pro skater, monstertruck 64, perfect dark, Turok,
>>
>>39495458
do you not understand what MMORPG means anon
>>
>>39495447
I did originally but then hit backspace, was taken back a page and lost my post, had to write the whole thing out again. I didn't forget bro.
>>
>>39495473
Well yeah, but usually MMORPGS are not focused on the RPG part at all. There is 0 roleplaying in Runescape man.
>>
>>39495470
PS2 is fucking GOAT. Great games spanning all genres, good graphics all running at consistent 30fps (60 if you're lucky), comfy controller and it's also a DVD player.
>>
>>39495551
but that's just like your opinion man
>>
>>39495386

Gaming is long dead me lad.

Short of putting myself through an infinite ocd loop in games like minecraft, I really can't recommend gaming to anyone. 15 years ago, maybe, but not anymore.

Then again if VR isn't one big meme it could potentially solve this issue.
>>
>>39495604
Thanks for you commentary but what kind of games are you into? I guess now:
What kind of games were you into, other than your mention of games like Minecraft?
>>
>>39495446
Nintendo lost because Devs hated cartridges and Sony sorrounded themselves with software companies.

SEGA lost due to the Genesis addons being failures. Why would anyone buy anyone a Sega Saturn if the SEGA-CD was already devoid of games?

Console gamers were growing up and recognized the PS1 as THE "adult console", which also helped its reputation.
>>
Nintendo made the shitty decision to make the N64 have cartridges instead of CDs even though the PS1 had already came out two years before and with CDs, which were superior.

Regardless of whether you think it was a good rpg or not, imagine if they had made FFVII for the N64. It would have been a lot shorter, and probably would have had shittier graphics. Hell it might not even would have been in 3D
>>
>>39495446
>So why did the Saturn do so shit?

Utterly fucking botched western launch. It did much better in Japan. To the extent that when Sega released the Dreamcast 2 years before any other next-gen console, the Japanese market were left thinking "why have they killed the Saturn when we all liked it?"

"In March 1995, Sega of America CEO Tom Kalinske announced that the Saturn would be released in the U.S. on "Saturnday" (Saturday) September 2, 1995. However, Sega of Japan mandated an early launch to give the Saturn an advantage over the PlayStation. At the first Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles on May 11, 1995, Kalinske gave a keynote presentation in which he revealed the release price of US399 (including a copy of Virtua Fighter), and described the features of the console. Kalinske also revealed that, due to "high consumer demand", Sega had already shipped 30,000 Saturns to Toys "R" Us, Babbage's, Electronics Boutique, and Software Etc. for immediate release. The announcement upset retailers who were not informed of the surprise release, including Best Buy and Walmart; KB Toys responded by dropping Sega from its lineup. Sony subsequently unveiled the retail price for the PlayStation: Sony Computer Entertainment America president Steve Race took the stage, said "299", and then walked away to applause. The Saturn's release in Europe also came before the previously announced North American date, on July 8, 1995, at a price of 399.99. European retailers and press did not have time to promote the system or its games, harming sales. After the PlayStation's European launch on September 29, it had already outsold the Saturn by a factor of three in the United Kingdom by early November 1995, where it was reported that Sony allocated 20 million to market the system during the holiday season compared to Sega's 4 million."

>the weakest (and slowest) console (at least of the main three)

I thought that was the Saturn, but I might be wrong.
>>
Why isn't this on /v/?
>>
>>39495640

Was big on rts for a while. The sense of control and options made for some good fun. Maybe it's just age of mental degradation but I honestly cannot remember the last game I thoroughly enjoyed or would recommend without a flinching sense of shame. Freelancer was alright. Although hated by most ME1 was impressionable. Morrowind? There's a bare-bone list of multi-genre favorites. All of which had very serious flaws mind you.
>>
>>39495673
>Console gamers were growing up and recognized the PS1 as THE "adult console", which also helped its reputation.

This was also a very big factor, yes. Nintendo's executives pushed this line that "games should be kid friendly" for many years, well into the GameCube era. There were notable exceptions eg Rare's output, but for the most part Nintendo seemed very uncomfortable with mature games on their systems.

By contrast, Sony (and Sega to be fair) realised very early on that there was a growing market for mature games, and proved that they could work on consoles as well as on PC.

>>39495674
>imagine if they had made FFVII for the N64. It would have been a lot shorter, and probably would have had shittier graphics

It's pretty universally acknowledged that the N64 was graphically superior to the PS1, it's just that cartridges didn't have the capacity to store the larger and longer games devs wanted. If Nintendo built the N64 almost exactly as it was but with CDs as the format, FFVII almost certainly would have been made for the N64.
>>
>>39495700
Because /v/ has shit taste and knows fuck all about games.
>>
>>39494682
Because nintendo is shit at making rpgs.
>>
>>39495853
Pokemon G/S/C was decent though. Good, simple, no bullshit.
>>
>>39495817
>it's just that cartridges didn't have the capacity to store the larger and longer games devs wanted. If Nintendo built the N64 almost exactly as it was but with CDs
Yeah that was exactly what I meant
>>
>>39495796
I noticed as I got older that my gaming preferences changed. Not just because of obvious things like free time but I just grew out of some games and genres I guess. I was really into rts when I was younger but now they don't do anything for me. I thought maybe it was just new ones so I tried to play older stuff I used to play but it's the same. Maybe try to play something out of your comfort zone or something you don't really have an opinion on? Maybe look at something you dismissed when younger.
>>
I think nintendo stuck with cartridges for so long because their gameboy/gameboy color hit it out of the ballpark with sales
>>
You saying super mario 64 wasn't the greatest rpg ever?
>>
File: 1.jpg (17KB, 335x240px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
17KB, 335x240px
>>39495944
Also the best survival horror.
>>
>>39495919

I've noticed that, too. At first it really bothered me to feel completely disconnected from the genre I once considered above all else. Although I'm still crossing my fingers that activision dies, blizzard north reunites and Warcraft 4 is concieved as WoW is scrapped all together (a guy can dream).. I know given such fantastical circumstances I MAY just be able to get back into the genre, but with the current state of the genre I'm completely out of the game.

When you suggested doing something completely out of my comfort zone, well, that's exactly why I'm hoping vr isn't a gimmick. The age of mouse and keyboard has grown all too stale for me. I gave up on Fallout 4 within 15 minutes of playing because the idea of mousing my way around shooting things just didn't cut it anymore. VR gives me that old sense of wonder (from what I've seen) that I haven't felt in over a decade. Here's to hoping.
>>
>>39495990
Easily the best racer
>>
Nintendofags WISHED mario shart was as good as CTR.
They would be in literal tears whenever they saw the silky smooth game play on naughty dog's perfect engine.
>>
>>39496163
It ran well, but god those 1-2 minute long loading times...
>>
File: chocobo-racing-usa[1].jpg (92KB, 600x587px) Image search: [Google]
chocobo-racing-usa[1].jpg
92KB, 600x587px
>>39496163
>CTR

Don't make me laugh kid
>>
>>39496163
gaystation furfags don't know the ultimate perfection of kart racing that is Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
>>
>>39494682
We'll just have to fix that, start deving for n64
>>
>>39496203
Not one of the tracks in SSART is as good as oxide station
>>39496186
Stop scratching your disks anon
>>
File: epinfunnaymaymay.jpg (67KB, 800x450px)
epinfunnaymaymay.jpg
67KB, 800x450px
>>39496163
>literally a meme game
>>
>>39496203
>Calls Playstation gamers furfags
>advertises a Sonic game as a competitor

TOPZOZZLE
>>
>>39496249
I feel bad about getting this (You) after such a low effort so you can have it back.
>>
>>39494762
It doesn't really, ps1 was the poorfag console
>>
>>39496312
yeah, I'm sure the N64 was really worth the money after you finish the 5 worthwhile games on it.
I always wondered why the people at my school would just replay OOT over and over again, I now realize it's because it was the only fucking game worth playing on the thing lol
>>
>>39494682
lol what is Paper Mario you newfag?
>>
>>39496312
Gran turismo
test drive
etc.

All 64 was good for was platform games because nintendo has always catered to that crowd of children anyway, so they had mario, zelda etc. Even PS1 put out some good platform games too, you can't pretend PS1 wasn't superior in everyway.
>>
>>39496346

Paper Mario, Pokemon Stadium, Starfox 64, Gex, Mario Party, Smash Bros, Conkers Bad Furday, Diddy Kong Racing, Legend Of Zelda's, Mario 64, Rayman, Banjo and Kazooie

lol. The reason your friends probably only played OOT is because you are probably some poor neet. I swear we should just exterminate poor people, but go ahead and watch ur free t.v and free youtube videos while I am playin on my top notch n64
>>
>>39496455
Other than zelda, mario 64 and MAYBE banjo 1 the N64 was nothing but fucking trash.
Star fox? Nothing but a sad fucking joke compared to Omega Boost.
Smash was shit compared to a real fighter like SFA3.
Let's not even get started on fucking 10/10s like Spyro, MGS, Vagrant Story or Chrono Cross.
Sad.
>>
>>39496529
>spyro 10/10
>the game where the only enjoyable thing was killing sheep, and that got old in five minutes
>>
>>39496529

Metal Gear Solid is the only good game out of anything you listed. Angry poor people, Omega Boost my balls loser.
>>
File: 250px-MG64.png (103KB, 250x175px) Image search: [Google]
250px-MG64.png
103KB, 250x175px
>>39496455
Add Harvest Moon 64, F-Zero X, Mystical Ninja/Goemon's Adventure, Mischief Makers, Ogre Battle, Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, Doom 64, Operation Winback, etc.

Also the comfiest game ever made; Mario Golf.
>>
>>39496605
>not Hot Shots Golf on PS1
>>
File: Plum.jpg (5KB, 101x151px)
Plum.jpg
5KB, 101x151px
>>39496624
Nigga pls, that's nowhere near as comfy, more like a campy golf game.

Also no Plum.
>>
>>39496605
>Harvest Moon 64 is better than Harvest Moon back to nature

Ultimate pleb
>>
>>39496584
What is Final Fantasy 7, Tekken Series and Castlevania: SOTN
>>
>>39496572
Spyro is a magnificent experience. Probably the only games (especially the first one) where you can just lose yourself in the world and atmosphere and just completely disconnect with reality.
I'm sorry you're too retarded to be able to experience that.
>>39496584
OB is Polyphony's best game, don't be mad because you never got to play on release
>>
>>39496672
>campy can't be comfy
but
>no Plum
OK I'll give you that.
>>
>>39496605
Doom 64 is only good on PC
>>
File: Tomba!_NTSC.png (341KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Tomba!_NTSC.png
341KB, 400x400px
I do like some of the shit on the PS1, like this and Roll Away are two good ones that come to mind.

G-Darius is bretty gud too. Plus RE3 and Dino Crisis. Both consoles have a ton of great games now that I think about it.
>>
>>39494717
It started with the SNES, people started talking about Nintendo's exclusivity hurting the games, and people are going to want to make games across platforms. It was the stupidest decision ever to not loosen up on this.
>>
>>39494996
Isn't it action adventure?
>>
File: Smug Wojak.png (32KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Wojak.png
32KB, 640x400px
>>39496790
>Doom 64
>PC
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.