[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books nigga

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

What books have you been reading lately, /r9k/?
Mine is pic related.
>>
File: 426943.jpg (43KB, 285x475px) Image search: [Google]
426943.jpg
43KB, 285x475px
Comfy book from a very comfy series
>>
>>39484812
How is it? I've read a Dresden book as my first fantasy novel and couldn't get into the rest of the series.
>>
>>39484641
Ive been going through a collection if Asimov's short stories. Once im through with it im going to start The Foundation trilogy.

Im a big fan of the classic hard sci fi novelists. Asimov, Clark, Heinlein, etc. I wish i could stop spending so much time on here and read instead.
>>
>>39485051
>I wish i could stop spending so much time on here and read instead.
You can. Remember mind over matter, or some bullshit like that.
>>
I made it half way through The brothers karamazov and then stopped from being lazy
>>
>>39485178
I advice that you should finish that one. The courtroom drama is pretty nice and the ending is fine as well.
>>
>>39485178
You should read Oblomov
>>
I always read the speeches twice, then start to think about what is the meaning behind it.
>>
File: 71eZM+cXrFL[1].jpg (207KB, 893x1360px) Image search: [Google]
71eZM+cXrFL[1].jpg
207KB, 893x1360px
re-reading. I tend to stick to self-help books these days. I should read more fantasy as it's what I want to write
>>
>>39485205
>>39485235

thanks i just got busy with school and now that uni's out I became pretty lazy
>>
>>39485261
I think reading from all sorts of different genres will help you write better fantasy. Nobody wants to read the story from a guy that's read LOTR fifteen times and never ventured out of fantasy. There just won't be any worthwhile ideas.
>>
>>39485305
Oh I meant I need to read more fantasy specifically. I just get worried I'll start emulating them in my writing and subconsciously plagiarise
>>
My brain scrambled the thread topic with the OP pic and I read it as "I, nigga".
>>
File: 20821221.jpg (46KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
20821221.jpg
46KB, 313x475px
pic related

It's an incredibly enlightening book in a three-volume series that goes into depth about life before, during, and after Stalin's rule with as little subjective opinion and conjecture as possible, with more focus on social and political interaction within the Soviet Union and many documented interactions with the USSR and other nations of the time, like Germany, America, and the U.K.

t. history and war fag
>>
>>39484641
Is that any good, anon? I assume this is the book the movie is based on? Tbh I didn't know there was a book.
>>
>>39485477
The movie was a piece of shit and I hate it with a fucking passion. The book is much much better.
>>
File: 1160379.jpg (156KB, 600x1003px) Image search: [Google]
1160379.jpg
156KB, 600x1003px
>>39484641
Just read The Tolkien Reader. Really good. Some Tom Bombadil in there. Leaf by Niggle was fantastic
>>
>>39484641
I want to start reading more non-fiction, any robots got any recs for me?

pls do not recommend any greek philosophy, I'm trying to read not go to sleep.
>>
>>39485477
If you like sci fi then it's very good. If not it will probably feel pretty dry and boring.
>>
>>39485523
I figured that would be the case. Not a fan of the movie either, I'm just a pleb when it comes to /lit/, don't know a whole lot. When's the book from?
>>
>>39485547
So are there no like philosphical/political undertones?
>>
>>39485544
Try Cashflow Quadrant. It's a super easy read about finance. Gave me a different perspective. Teaches you how not to be a wagecuck
>>
>>39485561
december 2, 1950.
>>
>>39485594
Makes me more interested to know it's that old desu.
>>
currently reading notes from the underground
>>
>>39485580
>Cashflow Quadrant
is this the same dude who wronte Rich Dad, Poor Dad?

I never read it because there was apparently some backlash about.... something. I don't even remember, but I remember it was really popular a few years back. Is it normie-tier?
>>
>>39485672
>>39485580
Different anon but yea they're the same author. Both definitely books worth reading
>>
>>39485672
Yes it is. Robert Kiyosaki. Didn't know there was any backlash. I'll check it out. How do you mean normie-tier? It's a finance book
>>
>>39485706
I read Freakonomics, and while it was kind of interesting it seemed super "pop psychology" esque. I don't want to read something like that.
>>
>>39485764
Hmm. Seems like why normies don't like Kiyosaki is because how anti-college he can be
>>
I'm in vol. 2. Feels like I'll never finish.
>>
>>39485764

There is a Freakonomics podcast that sometimes has good topics.
>>
I have been wanting to get back into reading. I like fantasy, sci-fi, mystery and horror. Although I love feeling attached to the characters and investing myself into the title. Can anyone recommend me a book so instead of staring at my phone wishing for someone to talk to me, I can instead stick my nose in a book and lose myself in a land of wonder?
>>
the hobbit, for the third time. can't get enough of it, it's a real comfy read before the series got really dark and edgy. still great rest of the series but it just gets unbearably slow at some point and the hobbit has none of that
>>
File: Notes_from_underground_cover.jpg (51KB, 302x475px) Image search: [Google]
Notes_from_underground_cover.jpg
51KB, 302x475px
My intro to existentialist literature. Was difficult reading such a robot-tier narrator but is quickly becoming enjoyable with the philosophical insight.
>>
>>39486260
Have you read Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe? Would highly recommend it (just the first four books, no reason to read Urth)
>>
>>39486373
No I have not. I will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion, my dude.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.