[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The "Just be yourself" Thread.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: really makes you think.jpg (129KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
really makes you think.jpg
129KB, 1280x720px
ITT: We reflect on what this means and how it could possibly be practised.

What does it mean to be ourselves, anons?
>>
I don't know, I'm pretty sure being myself is the whole fucking problem in the first place.
>>
File: heidegger-crop.jpg (356KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
heidegger-crop.jpg
356KB, 1024x768px
>>39445994
But are you really being yourself?
>>
You are supposed to be yourself if you want someone to love you for who you are, but if you are not someone who people love you have to be yourself by faking to be someone else. It's simple.
>>
>>39446011
Who the hell else am I going to be? I never really saw a need to fake my personality.
>>
>>39446039
Someone who is not "yourself" (for lack of a better word).

Like for instance, if you feel like doing something, but you don't do it for whatever reason. Then isn't that faking your personality?

For instance if you feel like dancing, but you don't because you think people will cringe, isn't that being fake in a way?
>>
Normies are actually zen masters who are trying to teach us that it is impossible to not to be ourselves because there is no ego to choose
>>
>>39445980
It means be your best self
>>
>>39445980
You can't truly love someone if that person doesn't love you for who you are. Relationships built on pretence are unhealthy and probably won't last very long. Therefore, it is best to "be yourself".

However, the "self" is not a static being. If "being yourself" is not giving you the emotional satisfaction you need, it is an indication that there's a flaw that needs fixing. There is absolutely no reason to persist in your state of being.

Often being unable to meet a partner is a result of living a sheltered life. Of course, this doesn't mean you should go into clubs or bars where you feel uncomfortable, but simply stagnating in your room is not the answer either. Find something new that doesn't make your uncomfortable. If you have work, try to socialize with your colleagues. If you keep working at it, the "self" that was content with staying in their room every weekend will make way for a new "self" who has less trouble socializing and meeting new people.
>>
>>39446062
I feel like attacking my roommate, but I don't because I don't want to go to jail.
Also who the hell feels like dancing? That's fucking weird.
>>
File: 1484823201231.png (1MB, 1468x1629px) Image search: [Google]
1484823201231.png
1MB, 1468x1629px
>>39445980
I've spent my whole life up to this point trying to keep too much of my real self from showing.

I have to. People can't handle being told that just by being around them is unhealthy for me. How do you think a parent would respond to being told by their son that I want nothing to do with them? That they're wasting my time? That I'd rather spend my time staring at a ceiling than converse with them?

If you treat people like that (but you can't avoid them thereafter) you are at the mercy of their negative emotions until you can physically separate yourself.

>just bee yourself
Myself would by default rather be alone in my own thoughts than entertain others'. Myself hates being around people who are less entertaining than my own thoughts.
>>
I've started just being myself and I've noticed that women actually talk to me in bars now.

All I had to do was finish a 15 week cycle of testosterone enanthate.
>>
File: 1323599.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1323599.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>Just be yourself
This is hard to accomplish while trying to maintain a decent life with constant mental problems.

You're pretty much asking me to either stop taking balancing medication and/or stop actively suppressing the symptoms of my mental disorder. I don't think you'll be asking me to be myself anymore after I start acting irrationally towards others as a result of my symptoms being fully expressed.

>well just fix your mental problems
I've had the symptoms of my mental disorder since I was in middle school and went to multiple psychologists/taken medication unsuccessfully, so it is apparently here to stay. Also, my genetic inheritance is really bad concerning mental disorders (two of my grandparents had diagnosed disorders and I probably inherited mine from my grandmother with the same one).

>>39446143
"Be your best self" implies you should partially be someone other than yourself, so it is definitely contradictory to "be yourself".
>>
>>39445980
It means you should expose your flaws and eccentricities to others so they know to avoid you. If you want social approval then do not be yourself unless you are very good looking.
>>
people should 'be themselves' in it's truest sense when they're alone, in their room, where all the human perversity can just pour out with no judgement.

In public, to integrate into society you still can be yourself but as >>39446143 said you have to be your best self in order to succeed. It's perfectly fine in my opinion having skeles in the closet, the public 'norm' needs to be preserved; who knows how many of the wall street executives you see in suits are wearing women's underwear underneath, and who fucking cares, as long as you preserve a healthy public image by NOT being 'yourself' ; not to say you are a bad person in particular, but 'being themselves' is what created fucking furries and all sorts of 'kins' and made up genders who parade what are essentially perversitys and polluting society.

Don't 'be yourself'.
>>
I think it means to not give a fuck what others think about you. of course that's easier said than done, but the more you practice it the easier it will become. unfortunately, this is why most people(or "normies") are terrible.

so it's either be conscientious and miserable, or "be urself" and a normie piece of shit.
>>
>>39446038
But then you'll never find actual love. Only lies. Not #worth
>>
>>39446882
>I think it means to not give a fuck what others think about you

But what if your inner most desire is for everyone to like you.

See. This is why "be ureself" advice doesn't work. It assumes that everyone is some Greek/Roman ideal of stoicism. But some people are just biologically designed to seek approval from everyone. We are nature's embarraasment but also a necessity for society to function since we do the low paying jobs.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.