[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any robots who are programmers? How tough is it to get a cool

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: images.jpg (14KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
14KB, 300x168px
Any robots who are programmers?
How tough is it to get a cool job at companies like Google and Microsoft? Also general software development thread
>>
>>39394547
>How tough is it to get a cool job at companies like (((Google)))
Tough if you are a straight white male, they have to push (((diversity)))
>>
Google and Microsoft? The big name companies are fairly competitive.

I work for one of the US's biggest department store in their tech division, it employees somewhere around 3000 people. It was fairly easy for me to get the job but I did use connections in college to get here.

If you want to work for a Fortune 500 tech giant then you need to be pretty darn good or know someone on the inside. If you want to work for a massive tech company that's doable as long as you interview well.
>>
>>39394576
>Tough if you are a straight white male,
would pretending to be gay or trans actually help? I'm willing to do it, but I'm not sure how they would know...unless I put it on my resume.
>>
>>39394576
Incorrect, google's work force is predominately 3 nationalities (white, asian, indian) and predominately male.

At my own company it's probably 60% white, 20% Indian, 10% Asian, 10% other. Also probably 75% male.
>>
I'd like to learn some language in a big way but lack the motivation I think. At the moment I'm trying to teach myself HTML and CSS because I was inspired by the custom browser threads over on /g/
>>
>>39394620
It really wouldn't. The tech industry for actual developer positions is 90% males. The reason Indians are over represented is because they're cheap. Asian are over represented because the Bay Area is full of Asians. Whites are probably just barely underrepresented but still make up 60% of the work force in tech, more so in developer positions.
>>
>>39394547
I'm trying to get into a programming career. I only know c++, c#, lua, and python. not sure about microsoft, but judging by the recent events with google and shit, I can guess it must be really fucking hard to handle because of the fat bitches and beta males who work there. not saying that i'm a God Tier Alpha Male like sam hyde but this shit makes me embarrassed for some reason.
>>
>>39394547
Work in a dead end job for a single customer
Nigga you should aim to be a consultant, there is where the money is at
>>
>>39394674
You could look into developing apps with react-native, it makes use of html SCSS and typescript (Javascript)
>>
I work for a small company with one other programmer. It can be pretty comfy but lately deadlines have been overlapping and I've had to work at home quite a bit which has been disastrous for my side projects. I program in a proprietary derivative of C, it's okay.
>>
>>39394608
What's the best way to get interviews? I understand they ask tough questions, but my plan is to go through Cracking the Coding Interview to be able to answer them well. My problem is that I don't have much experience to put on a resume, which keeps me from getting experience. Not sure how to get my foot in the door.

>>39394910
>you should aim to be a consultant, there is where the money is at
ay? Expand on this please
>>
>>39395606
Do side projects, show you're actually interested in software
>>
If anyone has any questions lmk. Software Engineer at one of the biggest tech companies. UCLA computer science graduate. Fellow robot happy to help out
>>
>>39395606
Start a personal project and put it on github. Just program, you don't have to save the universe or start the next google, just make anything you are interested in or is relevant to where you want to start in the industry. That's how I got my job with no degree or experience, lots of projects on github. It's not foolproof, it's hard work but if you are driven that won't matter.

Consulting is providing services to other businesses. If you have the skills to provide these services, you will always be in demand. I would focus on getting started in the industry before getting in on consulting.
>>
File: 1504043529330.jpg (97KB, 620x682px) Image search: [Google]
1504043529330.jpg
97KB, 620x682px
>>39394674

> "I'd like to learn some language"
> "HTML and CSS"
>>
>>39395826
What subfield do you work in?
What languages?
How do I git gud?
>>
>>39395826
Addendum:
How do i git gud with extremely limited time?
>>
>>39394547
Professional Software Engineer here, AMA.

I work at a software-as-a-service company that you've likely used before (even if you didn't know it). It is not a google or amazon though. Pay is decent though.

Big tech companies can be hard to get into, as they are very competitive. The best way to get a job at these companies is actually through internships while you are at school.

Otherwise, be really good at interviewing.
>>
>>39397016
Example interview questions?

I have a moderately complex app on the ITunes Store, would that be enough experience to start in a jr coding role?
>>
>>39397152
For a medium size company, sure.
For a junior role to get past the HR drone, you usually need a degree though, preferably in CS from a respected institution.

Other than that, we focus on:
- basic coding abilities
- algorithms
- performance (big O)

for the phone interview.

For the onsite:
- More advanced coding (whiteboard)
- More advanced problem solving
- Interpersonal skills (The Manager interview)
- Architectural skills
- Code clarity and testing

Those are the basics of professional software development, so that is what we ask for.
>>
printf ("%s\n", bump);
>>
>>39397253
>advanced coding on a whiteboard
I would say "what the fuck" and refuse. If they want advanced coding they can get actual code, if they want some algorithm or principle explained then whiteboard is ok.

Anyways, little motivational for fellow bots:
>be me
>sucked at school because no social skills
>only good in maths, chemistry and physics
>get a terrible school diploma
>enroll at university anyways
>fail horribly and lose a lot of productive years of my life
>always done software hacking, never fell for the OOP meme
>get into company in its startup phase, before it had a HR department
>write niche, performance oriented, modules for software projects
>is big company now and pays big
Really dreamy carreer for somebody who thought he'd never amount to anything. Life could be great if I weren't a sperg without friends.
>>
>>39396939
Sorry for getting this to you so late, I work in the cloud OS realm, specifically with OpenStack. To become a programmer, take some udacity courses or even UCB extension classes. Study algorithms, data structures. Learn c++, java, python. Learn OOP. You'll only need to learn the programming concepts once and learning new languages will be easy.

To become a computer scientist, you'll need to go to uni or do some hard core studying for a couple years by yourself
>>
>>39397253
This guy is right. Any big company will have you write a solution during the interview. Be ready to explain the strengths and weaknesses of your solution and how it could be improved
>>
Can I still get a job if my major is computer engineering?
>>
>>39399258
Yes. You can get a CS job with many different STEM degrees if you show you're competent in the field. A few of my coworkers are CE, you could probably find some lower level software work to do as well since you know circuits/hardware well. But if your main priority is a CS job, just do cs
>>
>>39399368
I didn't realize I wanted to do CS until now as i'm in my senior year of CE. I may just go to grad school for it
>>
>>39398558
Why not just printf("bump"); ?
>>
File: 1503498499629.png (125KB, 400x354px) Image search: [Google]
1503498499629.png
125KB, 400x354px
>>39394547
>tfw only enjoy coding games

I'm not gonna make it am I?
>>
>>39394547
not really. You have to really SUCK to not get a job at Google or Microsoft.

Heck! I got my bachelor of computer science with a end mark of 65 and nothing else and still got software engineer at Google
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.