[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is being a locomotive engineer THE robot job? >not forced

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1503971560317.jpg (320KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1503971560317.jpg
320KB, 1920x1080px
is being a locomotive engineer THE robot job?
>not forced to socialize beyond a basic level
>one year's worth of training to get the job
>spend most of your time sitting in the cabin
>long, 30+ hour trips, perfect for a khv with no friends
>get five weekdays and a weekend off PER MONTH
>around 60k starting
Why haven't you pursued a train career yet, robots?
>>
>>39376829

I am lol. The railway in Canada I originally applied in June, then they sent me a test in August and havent heard from since.

Who knows.
>>
How the fuck do you get in on this? I'll go full train autist if the job is that comfy.
>>
>>39376856
you have to do well on the tests anon. as high as possible.
>>39376874
After you complete conductor training, you can stay a conductor, or bid an engineer class as they come up. Bidding on a class just means a group of guys put in the paperwork trying to get into an engineer class. They go in order of seniority, so the guy with the most seniority gets in. Seniority is everything on the railroad; when you hire out as a conductor (or carman, machinist, any job on the railroad), you get a date, and if a guy has you by one day, they get the job before you. The guys with 30+ years on the railroad get the better jobs, pay or schedule-wise, just because they have a better seniority date. As guys retire, you have fewer guys in front of you, and have a better chance of holding the good jobs.

The only caveat is that once you bid on an engineer class, you either pass it, or you're out of a job. There's no going back to being a conductor if you fail, at least on the railroad I work for. This adds considerable stress. I was very fortunate to get into a class very early, pass, and establish my seniority as an engineer. To complete the engineer training I had a Mechanical test, General Code of Operating Rules test, Air Brake and Train Handling test, and several simulator runs, each one requiring a score of 90 or above. You also have 16 weeks of OJT, or on the job training, where you go out and learn your subdivision.

So, coupled with the conductor training, and the engineer training (which is about five to six months) you have just under a year of total training. You come out of engineer training with a federal license to operate a train.
>>
sounds max comfy and I'd consider it if current things don't come through. Definitely something to keep in mind thanks OP
>>
>>39376982
this sounds far too difficult for a robot.
>>
yall gonna run over some people
>>
In college I used to play Train Simulator and listen to podcasts in my new apartment on chilly autumn nights and it was one of the comfiest times of my life. Ever since then I thought about becoming a train driver. Unfortunately I fell for the graduate school meme instead because it was expected of me and now I can't go back or I would look like an underachieving overqualified idiot. I keep destroying all my own dreams and I can't stop.
>>
>>39377648
most robots are high IQ stemfags these days, it can't be that hard.
>>
>>39376982

Do these tests involve technical knowledge like of physics and engineering and stuff or is it just practical knowledge? I think I could drive a train because I'm observant and focused and organized but I have trouble with hard sciences.
>>
>>39377868
completely practical, robot.
>>
Imagine something fucks up on your dream ride
>>
File: 00arge.jpg (27KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
00arge.jpg
27KB, 500x393px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPPBieRqdwA
>>
I work as it support for the local train company, fuck actually having to work on the trains.

I can spend most of the day reading or watching shows
>>
>>39378540

>Have you tried turning the train off and back on again?
>>
>>39376982
Did you have anyone throw himself in front of your train yet?
>>
Trains are the most robot thing in any capacity. If you found trains interesting as a kid, you most likely are a robot.
>>
>>39378565
At most i have to troubleshoot the laptops of the train drivers, I don't need to fix actual trains
>>
>>39378600

>not suggesting they restart the train anyway
>>
I plan on going into that mostly because the idea of going to college makes me cringe.

I'm only 18 though, so it might take a year or so to get my foot in the door.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.