[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: 1503611756003.png (205KB, 659x525px) Image search: [Google]
1503611756003.png
205KB, 659x525px
Anyone here a writer? I want to write a book since writing is the only thing ive ever been good at but im just worried about my future as a writer..i really dont want to starve to pursue my passion
>>
If writing is your passion then pursue it.Life's too short to play it safely
>>
>>39375221
Post some shit you wrote plz
>>
You don't necessarily have to go full starving artist mode to write a book, anon. There are plenty of authors who work regular jobs and manage to write prolifically as well. You don't have to choose between security and your passion; you can strike a balance.

Of course, if you only want to be a writer because you lack the skillset to do anything else, your time might be better spent doing some sort of job training.
>>
>>39375449
Im not confident enough to post the shit I've written,i consider myself sub par and i want to improve on a lot if things
>>
I used to write and people told me I was very good at it. People expected me to major in English, but I never really saw the point. My work sucks and I don't see the appeal at all.
>>
i enjoy writing but i believe language is worthless so i post on 4chan exclusively
>>
used to like writing but my friend made fun of me for it and eventually my spirit died
>>
>>39375691
Huh..i only have 2 friends but they encourage me to write,if you actually liked writting you should get back into it dont pay attention to what other people say
>>
>>39375581
Then you're never going to get better. Or, at least, you'll never make money off it. This is coming from someone who's written two novels and working on a third, neither of which are published or probably will ever be published. No one I know will read it and maybe I'll post them on the internet once I have the time to touch them up, but for now I'll just hope I can become the next Henry Darger or something. All I can say is >>39375433 is right. if you want it, do it.
>>
I took a CW class in high school and enjoyed it a lot, also was told by the teacher I was the best in the class. Took another one in my first semester at college and got the same reactions, people really liked my stuff.

I personally don't think I'm that great at it, certainly not enough to make a living off, and I haven't really done much writing outside of classes but its a talent I want to develop and make a hobby out of, as I do find the process exciting and I genuinely felt happy hearing people tell me what I wrote was good, and that's a feeling I've never gotten out of anything else.
>>
>>39375745
I've tried but I'm garbage at it now. I lost my writing soul or something, you know? Nothing I write clicks with me, it's just writing things on words that I can't get into now. It never felt like that back when I did it regularly.
>>
>>39375852
>writing things on paper*
too tired for this shit
>>
What sort of things do you guys write? I always got complemented on my essays I wrote in high school and college, but I always had trouble coming up with ideas when I would try to write fiction. Eventually I stopped because I felt like I was just wasting time.
>>
>>39375916
I like writing all types of fiction but I have a hard time starting them. It's not even that I don't have the whole story planned out, I just can never find a good place to start them. Ever.
>>
File: 1499637247713.jpg (186KB, 2559x643px) Image search: [Google]
1499637247713.jpg
186KB, 2559x643px
>>39375221
>i really dont want to starve to pursue my passion
Then it's not really a passion.
But seriously, just do it fagt. You won't get any better by not writing. And you can't sell anything you haven't written. You're going to need a day job though.
>>
>>39375221
Writing a book is a HUGE task. It takes lots of focus, dedication, multiple perspectives and many returns to the drawing board.

I suggest starting small, with short stories. Some of the best writers of the English language only wrote short stories. Submit them to writing or genre magazines. We're currently in a literature magazine Renaissance, the likes of which haven't been seen since the 20s.
>>
Long term goal is to be a writer and I've got a 150k word novel written and stashed away. About to graduate with a bachelors of science in business though and looking at doing an MBA.

I come from a family of writers and other creative types and watching them live like poor students well into their forties made it clear I needed a steady job first and foremost.

Failing as a writer if you have no other skills will drive you to addiction and suicide. I've seen it happen.
>>
File: 1443569854394.jpg (28KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1443569854394.jpg
28KB, 512x384px
>>39375965
> tfw can't ever write short stories
> always have to stretch them out into multiple novel epics for some reason
> also verbose so even short stories end up being too long for magazines
Not the biggest fan of minimalism but I do admire their ability to convey their points without going into paragraphs of description.
>>
>>39375997
>also verbose so even short stories end up being too long for magazines
Great Expectations was originally written as a serial story in a literature magazine before it was compiled into a novel. Don't let it get you down.
>>
>>39375785
What are the synopsis of your novels if you don't mind me asking? Im having a real hard time figuring what to write about
>>
https://pastebin.com/2QpTBP1C
I spent like 10 minutes trying to post this but 4chan kept yelling at me about ascii text.
Anyway, this shit is super cringy and sucks ass
>>
>>39375852
Find inspiration my man..writting is such a amazing way to show your creativity,i know how you feel i was on a writters block for the longest time and didn't know what to write about but recently I've had so many ideas coming to me..hope the same happens to you senpai
>>
>>39376075
Thats actually pretty good man..keep on writting
>>
>>39376075
I wouldn't say that sucks ass at all, brother. It's a bit too purple for me (brainlet), but something about the word choice and the way it reads strike me as aesthetic. The second paragraph makes me think of an orator speaking before a crowd or someone pleading a case before the Roman Senate. It's nice, so just realize you're a far harsher critic of your own work than anyone else could ever be.
>>
>>39376048
I'll keep it brief because I could write a small novel just detailing it. Also, for reference, I'm a raging weeaboo, so if any of this sounds like it could be the plot of an anime, that's probably because it could be.
> Normal every day loser guy ends up in a high fantasy world
> Technically a post-apocalyptic medieval setting since monsters destroyed most of human civilization, leaving behind a few pockets of society and kingdoms to fight over the scraps of whats left
> Meets up with monster girls, told you it was anime-esque and starts looking for a way home
> Main crux of the story is how miserable it would be to end up in a medieval world without modern conveniences, especially one that's constantly at war with itself because monsters and shit
I didn't intend for it to be this way but it turns into a deconstruction (I don't really like that word though) of both the isekai and harem genres. I don't really think that it has enough appeal to sell on a broad market but if I ever decided to I'd just pitch it as a post-apocalyptic fantasy story and hope that it finds the niche audience that would enjoy such a story. Also there would be ten books total but I doubt I'll get that far.

Also, on that note, if you want to find something to write about, it becomes really easy if you take a story that you like and ask yourself, "Okay, this is good, but how can I make this better?" You'd be surprised at the mileage you can get out of it.
>>
Do you guys have any tips for someone who wants to start writting? I absolutely suck ass but i hope that I'll get better
>>
>>39376116
>>39376241
I really wasn't expecting that. Thank you.
>>
>>39376285
As cliche as it sounds, just do it, and keep throwing shit at the wall until something sticks. Starting is the hardest part. Also, if you're serious, reread your favorite stories/authors, try to recognize what about it you like, and ape off of it. There's no shame in mimicry, it's how you learn. Just don't outright plagiarize.
>>
>>39376285
read, specifically the kinds of books/genres that you want start writing.
You also need to know english but I assume that you've got the part down.
Another thing is to just write, I found starting is always the hardest part.
>>
>>39376294
If you want an easy pick-me up, just go search something you like up on Fanfiction.com, and I promise you'll feel better about your writing. If you can properly punctuate and use words above a middle school level, you're already doing great.
>>
>>39376285
>>39376312
Like this anon said, just write man and don't be afraid to put samples of your work out there to get some feedback. Do it completely anonymously if you have too, but feedback is crucial. And don't be overly concerned about writing something that's never been written before. People like hearing familiar stories with slight but novel twists on the formula.
>>
>>39376245
Awesome man! i wish you success in your writting career..you should put your novels out there so other people could read them,i know I'd be happy too.
>>
>>39376285
Learn how to structure a story, structure paragraphs, sentences, everything. Good fiction is all about structure. There are tons of books on this stuff.
>>
>>39376416
I appreciate the kind words. I've been toying around with the idea of posting it around communities I know would inherently be interested in such a story, but it's gonna need some touching up first. Maybe one day you'll see it on the bookshelf and Barnes and Noble. Or the online Amazon market place. Just about anything can get published on Amazon, I think.
>>
>>39376450
You can always self-publish, which I think may be what you're referring to when you said on Amazon. It's probably fine as long as you don't mind shilling your own work online since it won't have a presence on a physical shelf.
>>
>>39375221
Writer here but don't feel motivated to continue, I can't earn money from it because it will no longer make me eligible to receive NEET money. Also, copyrighting the stuff causes too much stress already.
>>
>>39376450
You definitely should man.Who knows maybe one day you'll be the next Frank Herbert.
>>
>>39376332
I can feel a few sparks igniting on the inside, it's just too bad it has to happen at 12am when I'm about to go crash. I think I'm going to start reading again and I'll also try your advice when I start to get anxious about my work. Thank you again anon
>>
>>39376312
>>39376324
>>39376381
>>39376432
Thanks for all the advice lads..currently dont even have a computer to start to make stories on,but i do have a shitty old typewriter that belonged to my grandma so i guess that will have to do for the mean time.
>>
>>39376594
The great thing about writing is all you need is a pencil and plenty of paper. Cheapest hobby there is, I think. Good luck anon, make us proud.
>>
>>39376594
A typewriter is probably better really, speaking strictly in terms of productivity. You can't alt-tab for in favor of some distraction on your typewriter.
>>
>>39376075
Heyy that's not bad at all..good job mang
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.