[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any robots trying to become software engineers? Where are you

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 22

any robots trying to become software engineers?

Where are you at in your journey
>>
Im a salaried one right out of school. Feels good man.
>>
>>39313530
Working on my prerequisites while working a very demanding full-time manufacturing job. I don't think I'm gonna make it lads. The math keep getting harder and the hours at the factory longer. There simply isn't enough time to do everything. The stress is getting to me.
>>
File: 1451253796536.jpg (10KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1451253796536.jpg
10KB, 300x300px
>>39313530
i went to school for it but i cant get a job in the field because im black. so i work on my personal projects and hope they will be successful one day
>>
>>39313603
>but i cant get a job in the field because im black
Typical minority blaming everything on his skin color. With affirmative action you should be pulling mad jobs. So why aren't you really?
>>
>>39313603
>i went to school for it but i cant get a job in the field because im black. so i work on my personal projects and hope they will be successful one day
anon, everyone has trouble finding jobs. Don't do shit like blaming your issues on racism - the moment you do that, HR for any company is gonna see you as a major red flag who might start shit later on down the line.

Personal projects are a good idea, what are you working on? Did you get any internships in school, if not you could apply now, doing something and getting paid something is better than nothing

if not, develop your skills further
>>
>>39313530
Piss poor math skills prevented me from choosing it as my major in college. I'm considering changing my major to it since I am entering as a freshman and have time, just concerned about the math. I've understood and have been programming since I was little, it's a logical choice for me and the only route I understand in life.
>>
>>39313762
I'm not that anon, but how do I get an internship? I seem to have trouble finding them and the ones I do see specifically ask for college students.
>>
>>39313530
I make websites. Working from home is a nice plus but any job is hell.
>>
>>39313590
Pull through my nigga I believe in you. It may seem hard now but after you finish birthing your mental baby it will all be worth it. The best part of working/studying is the challenge.
>>
I learned c++ in a few months and am pretty "not the worst" at it.
Going to uni beginning october for informatics/compsci or whatever it's called.
Have a very good online friend who helps me with all stuff programming.

I'm excited for uni, I'll have to learn more languagesbut it'll be fun
>>
>software engineers

>posts picture of css

kek

ps full stack kill yourself.
>>
>>39313806
>I'm not that anon, but how do I get an internship?
you need to email PEOPLE. Online applications are bullshit like half the time, your application is sent right to their garbage bin. Do some research into companies in your area you want to work for, send a sincere email to someone at the company, and KEEP doing that until you get positive results.

For every 10 you might get one reply, it's purely a numbers game
>>
File: 1496595071777.png (643KB, 701x816px) Image search: [Google]
1496595071777.png
643KB, 701x816px
came close to attempting suicide because i didn't fucking understand why i had an unhandeled exception (java)
>>
>>39314850
>contemplating suicide
>java developer
story checks out
>>
>>39313925
you don't mean that :c
>>
>>39313530
I already got my college diploma as a programmer analyst. I worked for a year for a ehealth company working on their software. Now I attending university to complete my degree in computer science.
>>
Neckbeard robot through uni. Finished uni, got job, 8 years later I'm a lead developer, making 130k dollarydoos plus bonuses. Feels good man.
>>
File: photo.jpg (5KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
5KB, 100x100px
Software engineering is truly the robot's path out of the basement. Git gud at computers, shit out some code on github, and don't forget to put on your normie mask for the interview.

I believe in you anons
>>
The amount of shit you need to know to even land of the most basic of job gives me huge anxiety.
>>
>>39313530
Tried my hand at college thrice and got kicked out everytime thanks to my shit-ass math skills.

I'm gonna do shitty course soon in hopes of getting any piece of paper to back up my sub-par programing skills. hopefully that will suffice.
>>
I'm going to go to college for a CS and math double major. I hope I'll be able to handle it.
>>
What are the comfiest programming jobs?
>>
>>39316238
>The amount of shit you need to know to even land of the most basic of job
Just learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript
You can do the first two in around two days, JS in three maybe.
Now you can land an entry level front end dev job. It's boring as shit but hey it's easy too
>>
I can't believe you guys are falling for the comp sci meme. Unless live in Silicon valley, comp sci jobs are relatively low paying
>>
>>39317927
They're good if you're autistic and work for a big company because they'll leave you alone as long as you do your job well.
Furthermore, there are fields of CS that are pretty well-paid. JS code monkeys aren't representative of the job market as a whole.
>>
>>39317872
Stop spreading this bullshit. Noone can learn HTML CSS and JS so fast especially not with no coding background. Also you need more than those to get entry level. Most jobs now want full stack or god tier front end. You can get away with knowing less if you are CS degree holder otherwise good luck. It will take years if you have full time job you cant quit.

Only NEETs would have enough time to learn it in a year to get a job but then again you will be competing with CS graduates.
>>
>>39317872
Don't talk shit. It'll take a complete newbie at least a few months if they want a job doing front end web dev.
>>
It's so funny to me that everyone is hyping IT jobs and saying they're the future while my city has practically no IT jobs. They're all concentrated in other cities.
>>
>>39318077
>>39318078
HTML and CSS is fucking trivial.
>you need more than those
It doesn't take years to learn full stack, holy shit. In two months you can easily learn Python and Django or Flask.
Most web developers don't know shit and use references all the time anyway. I know a guy who organizes one of those allegedly intensive "coding" boot camps who told me they didn't even teach JS to candidates, they just told them to use W3C as a reference and copy-paste.
90% of web development is a fucking joke. The remaining 10% consists of back-end developers who actually know what they're doing and generally use Java, or in specific cases, Erlang.
If it takes you a whole year to learn HTML5/CSS3 and pick up some basic JS knowledge, you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>39317953
Only if you work for a big company. But odds are you'll end up in some small shitty company
>>
>>39318078
I would say a few years if you have to work. I dont believe how anyone can suggest it takes 6 months or so. Yes it takes 6 months if you have a coding background from childhood, have degree in CS or/and happen to have 10-12 hours a day to learn for the whole 6 months.
>>
>>39318134
I am going to guess you dont have a job and sits all day in front of PC if you suggest that html, css javascript and frameworks and all the other stuff that you need to know + portfolio without a degree is easy to learn in a few months for a complete code illiterate person.
>>
>>39318137
>big company.
And that doesn't necessarily mean Google, Facebook or Amazon.
You need a degree of course, but to say that you can only make good money if you work for the most well-known firms is stupid
>>
>>39318134
You're only saying this because you probably already had a coding background so a lot of things which you take for granted will be completely alien for a complete newbie.
>>
>>39318183
The people who say it is easy and doable in months are the people I then found out they coded their entire childhood. Sure, it is easy if you coded for fur for 10 years while in school so you had multiple hours everyday to do it.
>>
>>39318167
I don't have a web job thank god, I'm a sysadmin.
>html, css
Dude both of these are easy as fuck. And reread what I said about using references.
>javascript
Again, not difficult. Buy JS: the Good Parts from O'Reilly, spend a few weeks on it and you're good.
If you really have no programming background, start with Codecademy's courses on HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript, to get an idea.
>all the other stuff that you need to know
You mean setting up your computer, learning how to use git, and learning to use the JS debugger console in your browser? Maybe add to this some hipster shit like heroku?
Yeah that doesn't take very long.
>portfolio
Where do you live that you need a portfolio for entry level web shit? Are dev jobs in the US that saturated?
>>
>>39318134
i bet you sucks at everything you do
>>
>>39318183
>>39318204
>a coding background
What does that even mean? I started programming when I was 18.
Picking up the most basic principles (variables, control flow, loops) takes a day or two. I don't take anything for granted, it's just not difficult. Most of what is done in the field of web development is fucking trivial. You don't need to know advanced CS concepts.
>>39318232
You're projecting too hard anon.
>>
>>39313603
Blacks have it objectively easier finding software engineering jobs. You must just be retarded.
>>
>>39318224
If you dont have any tech or IT degree you are mostly required to provide portfolio proof here in europe. Also they give you coding tests on the spot and a lot of times the HR are asking you some obscure things everyone just google at job if needed. Maybe it is different where you live but this is the relaity here.

Most companies also filter you if you dont have a CS or IT background or have some unrelated liberal arts.

I know this because I am hobbyist and tried to see what you need to know and get job. I dont want the job though so I dont try to improve as much or care but know about guys who tried and fail. The ones that succeeded are underpaid because have no degree and it still took them more than a year to get the entry level job while working full time.
>>
>>39313530
Just finished up my internship and am starting junior year soon.
>>
File: 1495591170486.png (42KB, 655x509px) Image search: [Google]
1495591170486.png
42KB, 655x509px
>>39318253
we aren't all smart fren
>>
>>39318286
Also to point out they often ask CS related subjects like algorithms and such even for front end. Even if you teach yourself you need to know this too sometimes.
>>
>>39318253
You started at 18 but many didnt. This is a coding background. You had more time than someone starting at for exmaple 25 because they figured they dont like their career path (if they even have any). You take it for granted but without this background it takes a lot more work and time.
>>
>>39318286
>portfolio proof
"Portfolio proof" just means shitting out a decent project and putting it on github so that HR knows you're not retarded.
>they give you coding tests on the spot
Depending on where you want to work, those tests can range from fizzbuzz-tier difficulty to graduate CS coursework. But if you're looking for a junior web development position at a shitty company, they most certainly won't ask you anything hard.
>some obscure things
Never heard of that happening for web jobs.
There's a higher barrier to entry if you're looking to work for a reputable company. However, it's really easy to find work at some run-of-the-mill startup, since they're often looking for cheap hires.
>>39318334
Where the fuck do web dev recruiters ask about algorithms? Are you sending your resumes to quant finance firms or something?
>>39318331
I'm not smart either. I'm extremely lazy as well, as in even the day right before an exam I couldn't bring myself to work. Unless you're actually, literally retarded, you can make it.
I also forgot to mention that if you're a NEET and have time on your hands, you can land an entry-level IT job by taking certs. Eventually this can get you into systems administration, which depending on where you work, can be extremely cushy.
>>39318342
Some of my coworkers have been programming since they were six or seven and I'm still better than them because I chose to go deeper and learn about things that weren't mandatory or necessary to pass my exams. It doesn't matter when you start.
>it takes a lot more work and time
If you have a full-time job and you're 25, of course it'll take more effort than if you're an 18 year-old NEET, but it can still be done as long as you're not aiming for jobs that require high technical skills.
>>
File: 1471974241399.jpg (6KB, 487x423px) Image search: [Google]
1471974241399.jpg
6KB, 487x423px
>>39318387
>Unless you're actually, literally retarded
>>
>>39318442
You probably aren't as dumb as you think you are.
>>
I tried, dropped out when I had one semester left, realized I had lost interest in this shit a long time ago.
>>
I am a software engineer, working on a C++ project. I want to find a new job.
>>
>>39319158
What don't you like about C++?
>>
>>39319177
Well it more has to do with the company, they suck pretty bad at developing software. C++ just makes it easier for them to fuck up.
>>
>>39319219
I thought C++ was mostly used in mission critical stuff and that the rest was handled by Java or C#
>>
>>39313530
>wondered what's the difference between C and C++
>googled it
>forgot

We are Legion.
>>
>>39319233
They use C++ for the speed. Though they sort of ruin it by randomly throwing in javascript in a bunch of spots.
>>
>>39319318
>throwing in javascript in a bunch of spots.
Fuck why do people want to use JS for everything
It's a disgusting language
>>
>>39319333
It looks like they did it before it was even cool to do so. So it even a much slower JS engine then the modern ones we have.
>>
>>39319350
Will JS ubiquity ever end?
>>
I studied it for 3 years and it was pretty interesting and easy but I quit because I didn't want to write the thesis. Nothing beats NEETdom anyway.
>>
>>39313530
Does malware reverse engineer count? I think it's the perfect job for me

>pays well
>nobody bothers me
>always new shit to see and learn
>can judge other peoples' work without having to produce anything
>can trick malware into thinking and doing whatever I want
>actually takes skill so no "anyone can code" hipsters coming into the field anytime soon
>>
I'm in, for however long it will last...
>>
here is a programming discord
discord dot gg/uZjkkNW
>>
>>39319387
You need to be really fucking good to do malware research
Like CS PhD good
>>
>>39313925
kek'd desu
also
>macbooks
pls no
>>
Guys is C# worth learning? I am learning Unity right now but I figured it would be helpfull to know the language itself. Is there demand for C#
>>
Did an unrelated meme bachelor that's now coming to an end. Wanna do something in CS as I have no hard skills. Was planning on doing either CS50, intro to CS on udacity or a python course. Still haven't decided.

I'm leaning towards web development as it seems easier to get into and because I've had a few instances where I doing some hobby earning that could have been increased dramatically if I had the dev skills myself and didn't need to outsource.
>>
>>39319685
ya, depending on your area, there should be jobs using Windows for web development.
>>
>>39319685
Yes it's one of the most popular languages.
>>39319694
CS50 is great, though it'll teach you programming rather than simply web development.
If you want to do web dev, learn JavaScript really well, as well as the backend frameworks that use it.
>>
>last year of college
>could have graduated last year if I planned better
>no internships
>no public repos
I'm fucked
>>
File: 1503733441163.jpg (155KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1503733441163.jpg
155KB, 1440x810px
>>39319723
did you at least make friends with people who have those and will get jobs?
>>
>>39319747
I have no friends

top originality
>>
>>39319711
So doing CS50 and then moving on to something more specific would be a good idea then? Will it give me a better idea of what's out there and what I'd like after I complete it?
>>
>>39319775
Yeah CS50 is a great introduction to computer science. You'll get a good idea of where to go afterwards.
>>
The hardest part about coding isn't the math to me. It's about figuring things out.

"Did you read the data sheet?"
>>
>>39319768
well you have one year left, make some friends so that when they get jobs they can recommend you at their company.
>>
>>39313530

Already am brobot, already am.
>>
What do you need to know other than a programming language? Algorithms? Design patterns? Is there a list of textbooks for essential knowledge?
>>
>>39319794
>make some friends
bee
yourself
>>
>>39319844
What do you want to do? originally
>>
>>39319844
https://techdevguide.withgoogle.com/
>>
>>39319844

No matter what the job is, knowledge of design patterns is a good tool to have. It'll help keep you sane in the long run as it will give you the tools to produce less spaghetti code.
>>
Help me decide, should I go into networking or artificial intelligence? Money isn't the most important thing, I just want to work on really interesting stuff. I plan to go to grad school, so if I do networking it won't just be basic sysadmin stuff but rather network science research.
>>
>>39319906
Artificial Intelligence is going to head for another AI winter.
>>
I'm trying to teach myself HTML and CSS so I can make my own home pages/start pages for myself only. I saw that thread on /g/ and it inspired me a little/
>>
File: 1465742919158.jpg (54KB, 402x326px) Image search: [Google]
1465742919158.jpg
54KB, 402x326px
>>39313530
>go to college for compsci
>it's garbage
>drop out after a year and go to a temp agency
>get hired as a computer programmer and general it at a metal stamping factory for 50k/yr starting
>get hired as a perm for 65k/yr starting plus a perf review after 6mo
collegefags btfo
>>
>>39319863
I don't know. Just know how to program.
I took classes at college about machine learning, numerical computations, general intro to programming, but I don't feel like a have any solid foundation to be a programmer.

>>39319866
Thanks.
>>39319892
Thanks you. Can you recommend a good textbook or another ressource
>>
>>39313530
Done and done. I graduated 8 years ago and doing fine money in a fine job. Still a robot though, but the advantage is I get to use all the rather substantial amount of money I earn, on myself alone.
>>
File: NANI.png (225KB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
NANI.png
225KB, 2400x2400px
I am severely bad at math. Like, fucking GOD AWFUL at math.

Can I still at least do webdev stuff? I've always want to.
>>
>>39319931
What do you mean?
By the way my choices aren't limited to AI/ML and networks, it just seemed like the two most interesting subjects that were going to see a lot of innovation in the future.
>>
>>39319970
Learn programming with K&R then.
If you want to be an excellent programmer read SICP and TAOCP, they're memes but they're the best reference books for their respective branches (lambda calculus and turing machines which are the two "ways" of giving instructions to a computer).
But K&R is a good start, I started with it and it's a great book for C.
>>
Any other robots have a degree already and are trying to get a second in cs? I'm trying but schools in my area don't allow second bachelors.
>>
>>39320107
I wanted to read it few years ago and I dropped it after the write a code debugger exercise.

Honestly I feel like this is not the kind of book I need. I need more software engineering and less basic programming concepts.
>>
>>39320434
>the write a code debugger exercise.
I don't remember K&R asking you to write a debugger.
>>
>>39313530
just finished first year of college. starting second year next week
>>
>>39320442
It is one of the exercises at the end of the first chapter. It is supposed to receive code file as input and output misplaced braces, missing semicolons and parentheses, things like that.
>>
>>39320732
Isn't that pretty simple?
You just need one if statement inside your ((while c=getchar()) != EOF) that prints an error message according to what comes before a newline character
>>
File: beta_uprising.png (194KB, 2344x1408px) Image search: [Google]
beta_uprising.png
194KB, 2344x1408px
>>39313530
unemployed for four months, was working as a software engineer for a company but they went bankrupt. not much luck in getting interviews, not really sure what to do now. good luck to the rest of you, its really the only good paying job for us robots and with trump, we should have less competition with pajeet and chang.
>>
>>39319602
And what makes you say that anon?

oraigagiasisiaufaisufasiuf
>>
>>39319602
No you don't just go to tuts4you and learn how to use ollydbg
>>
>>39320857
Ollydbg is trash. Use radare2 for static and x64dbg for dynamic. windbg if you need kernelmode debugging.
>>
Computer Engineer instead of software but recently started working first job in defense on FPGA/DSP work.
>>
>>39320811
If you work for a defense company, everyone there will have to be a citizen for security clearance.
>>
>>39320752
Yes. Now it doesnt seem that difficult actually
>>
>>39320962
You probably need to iterate over an array that contains all the characters from the line you're scanning and evaluate what comes before '\n'
K&R's exercises are tedious but not that difficult
>>
>6 years into career at the same company I started at
>Put on a team that has too many people and not enough work
>Boss keeps hiring to pad his subordinate numbers, look more important and get a bigger pay raise
>Ask for a promotion to senior software engineer, since average industry is 4 years
>"You haven't stood out enough, you're no where close to a promotion"
>that sinking feeling that I should have left long ago and no company will hire me now with 6 years of experience and no promotion at the pay rate i'm getting with the benefits i'm getting
>no where to go but down
>miserable at my job
>>
>>39319943
did you already have experience programming?
>>
>>39321077
You don't ask for your promotions, you take them.

As someone who started off as you did, then skyrocketed past my colleagues in promotions, and then realised I'm exactly where I need to be, and put the breaks on to settle for a relatively easy job with a great pay... here's what I have to say:

Exceed your colleagues. Don't just work there like everyone else, work like a fucking animal. Develop a real passion for what you do. Go online, find the best sources where the good coders go, where you have a shitload of information about the newest techniques, frameworks, upcoming patches, other languages that could help you etc. Start subscribing to those shits, start following the feeds of the best sites and people online. Start finding the things you don't know or understand, and make it your business to understand them. Start making sure that if there's new stuff or cool new tricks on the market, you know what it is and how to do it. Start doing overtime, and as a whole move from "I do my job" to "I will find job you didn't even know existed, prove to you why you need it, and do that too". Not like a retard lone ranger autist, but like someone who anticipates what the customer, the project, your colleagues, all the people you're actually doing your work for and who actually decide your pay and your worth... what it is they really want and need.

Don't sit on that information either. Share it, teach others freely, stick your nose into everything so far you will nowhere near have the time to do it all (people will say you shouldn't, but you really should, at least for a few years). And if you fear that sharing your secrets with others helps them to catch up to you? GOOD.

Because that means they know you, they have noticed you. You've reached a point where everyone knows who to contact to find out what's what, and who's the guy who gets shit done. And that little pressure that people could be catching up? That'll drive you even harder.
>>
File: vzvqproellsmc5m5f9e0.jpg (67KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
vzvqproellsmc5m5f9e0.jpg
67KB, 800x450px
>>39313530
>software engineer
>CSS
:^)

But shitposting aside, I'm in my last year of CS. I can't wait to be done. Going to be doing an internship before my last semester
>>
Just began learning python and got a 2nd interview for a entry level software job paying 35k (in GBP, britfag here) next week.
>>
Just sent off my hello world portfolio and I've already received several senior job offers starting at 70k a year. Collegefags btfo
>>
>>39321077
>>39321366
(cont.)

When you get this far, you'll already be better than most others. You'll have a massive framework of your own ready sending you feeds and information every which way making sure that even with minimal effort, you can now quickly and efficiently stay on top of the recent, most important developments. Make a LinkedIn profile, connect, like other people close to your work, see their likes and recommendations pour in, be a good decent guy and secure good, healthy relationships in work as you do all of the above.

Now, finally, when you've done this for a few years and you still haven't gotten a raise? Don't go asking for it. Just get out, move to another company altogether. Ask the best and most professionally qualified connections at your work, customers and projects if they would recommend you, without making it a big deal within your actual company because management hates that.

Then switch, ask for a professional, realistic, but definitely a high-end pay, and see what happens.

This is what I did, and it was hard with all the self-esteem issues at the time, but all that work, the confidence the following successes create in you, the passion that you now naturally relate to others when speaking of your job, the knowledge other people see you have even when you're no longer even trying to impress them. All that has a massive impact.

I gave this same advice to a young member of my team about 2 years back, and just 6 months ago her pay skyrocketed just like mine had.

It's impossible to use this small a room to write a detailed description, but my point is like I said in the start: You don't ask for a raise, you take it. Own it. Earn it with your own goddamn hands. And always remember, employment is a two-way street. You're not enslaved to your workplace, you shouldn't be thankful for them letting you be there. THEY should be thankful that you're willing to work for them, because you know you're fucking worth it.
>>
I'm sort of a sysadmin but more into administering databases and middleware, so generally CI stuff. I like to script to make my life easier but fuck corporate programming.
>>
>>39313556
any advice im about to start a 3 year program
>>
>>39321606
> fuck corporate programming
Why?
I work for a very large corporate company and I'm on a team that contributes to open-source projects that benefit the company. Super comfy
>>
>>39321854
how can I get a job like that? It sounds really comfy.
>>
>>39317208
Unpopular opinion but I find embedded low-level stuff to be comfy. You get intimate with the machine because there are little to no abstractions between the two of you. In my short experience it's also the kind of coding where you the datasheet will cover most of your needs. This means there will be less trips to stackoverflow and less internet distractions in general, which helps you get in the zone.
>>
>>39321482
Why put in so much effort for something I don't like? I just started as a junior dev and I don't really want to put in more than the bare minimum effort.
>>
>>39322482
Embedded is very comfy indeed.
>>
>>39322914
Then don't whine about not getting a promotion. It's your choice, you bear the consequences.
>>
>>39323068
I don't care for promotions, I just want to do what I'm told, do my 8h and call it a day desu.
That's probably the most I can do and it is already very stressful. I have autism though, so maybe thats the problem.
>>
>>39313530
I just switched from liberal arts to CS so I'm a beginner.
>>
File: 1498370752529.jpg (88KB, 720x530px) Image search: [Google]
1498370752529.jpg
88KB, 720x530px
>>39313530
Hey anon, I'm a software engineer at {company whose products you are likely using right now}

I work in C++ on high performance servers providing machine learning as a service. I made a total of $160k this past year my first year working after graduating from a shitty state university with a bachelor's in CS, AMA if you want anons I have nothing else to do on this miserable lonely weekend.
>>
>>39323897
How do you get such a great job? I'm in Europe so the salaries here are pretty much half of what they are in the US.
>>
>>39323897
can't even get a gf with that much money?
>>
File: Data2366.jpg (79KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
Data2366.jpg
79KB, 694x530px
>>39323939
Yeah. You have to move the the US sorry anon. If I went to work in the UK branch for example at my same company doing the exact same job, they'd cut my pay down to maybe 70% of what it is right now, and it would be more expensive in London for sure

To get a job like this you need to forget about webdev bullshit like Java and PHP and focus purely on assembly, C, and C++, then while you're doing your CS degree you have to study data structures and algorithms extensively as well as hardware level software optimization issues

Basically I got this job because I'm an autist with no friends so I just stayed in my room all night reading about programming

>>39323949
Correct, I had an LDR girlfriend for a while but she cheated and left me so I'm done with women and 4chan is my new gf fuck these roasties.
>>
>>39324015
>You have to move to the US
How hard is it to get a work visa though? If I have a master's is it easier?
>focus purely on assembly, C, and C++
That's unironically great. Do you use x86 asm? If so for what?
>data structures and algorithms
What did you use to study those? I heard SICP and CLRS were good books, as well as TAOCP.
>hardware level software optimization
Similarly, got any pointers for where to start?
>>
File: thumb6.jpg (73KB, 550x346px) Image search: [Google]
thumb6.jpg
73KB, 550x346px
>>39324072
>How hard is it to get a work visa though? If I have a master's is it easier?
I have no idea lol never done it, people on my team work in other countries though and work remotely so they have a hard time getting visas I guess.

>That's unironically great. Do you use x86 asm? If so for what?
I don't "use" assembly most people don't for anything serious. I don't know x86 asm but I really need to study it lol. I knew MIPS32 assembly extensively and wrote an assembler and emulator for a MIPS32 CPU (the one that the PS2 uses), this got me a ton of great interviewer questions they all thought it was pretty good.

If you really want to get into this area I would suggest learning C++ template metaprogramming it's a great way to squeeze out massive quantities of optimization with compiletime constraints on behavior, it basically allows you to write declarative C++ with highly optimized assembly level performance
>>
File: tumblr_msq3b9fTNu1sg3vmpo1_250.gif (1MB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_msq3b9fTNu1sg3vmpo1_250.gif
1MB, 245x184px
>>39324072
>>39324244
cont.
>What did you use to study those? I heard SICP and CLRS were good books, as well as TAOCP.
I read a little bit of SICP and got bored and didn't finish, and we studied CLRS in my algorithms and data structures classes during my degree but definitely didn't do the whole book or anything. I'm planning to do a full read through of it again once I stop being lazy and resting on my laurels. I've sort of lost motivation now that I've actually acquired the job I wanted lol but it's important to keep studying even after you get a job.

Never read a page of TAOCP apparently it's a bit too extensive and you can get by with way less than what is inside that massive tome of largely irrelevant knowledge.

Get very well acquainted with the main data structures:
-arrays
-stacks
-linked lists
-queues
-heaps
-hash tables

This sounds simple like "that's it, really?" but this is basically everything you need, the rest are all technically just special cases of these. Learn these extensively, learn how to implement all of the methods related to these, by hand, on a whiteboard, under pressure. Learn when to apply each one, what the drawbacks of each one are, the different implementation methods of each. Believe me there are a lot

>Similarly, got any pointers for where to start?
Take a Computer Architecture course and really study it hard, make it one of your most important courses. A lot of CS majors just take it as a hard course they just want to slip by in, but it's one of the most important courses to pay attention in. I consider it a "money course" because this is where the top paying companies really want you to have paid attention.

Basically you have to get a CS degree. If you don't none of my advice applies desu I don't think anyone can really self study CS in a deep way unless they're really really smart in which case they wouldve gotten a scholarship anyway
>>
>>39324244
>>39324285
Thanks for the advice anon.
Yeah I'm going to college for math and CS (double major, or math minor I haven't chosen yet). Does it look good to employers to have a solid math background?
>>
>>39324072
>>39324285
cont.

Basically
>Get a CS degree
>Make sure to get all As even if you have to spend 4 years of your life nonstop studying, it's really important because you're front-loading work in your life, then you can have an easy stress free life later once you get high paying jobs that only require 40-45 hours a week like mine

>Pay really close attention in data structures and algorithms courses and get REALLY good with those data structures I listed
>Pay really close attention in computer architecture courses
>Take an embedded systems course if you can where you write pure C and assembly and for instance program arduinos, this is really important knowledge for high performance programming even if you never end up touching an arduino again

I'll stop here because basically there's too much to list. You just need to get a CS degree and do really good, and study deeper than the classes teach you also by reading extra outside of class
>>
>>39324244
Is C++ primer a good C++ book?
>>
File: vcQ4Sb9.jpg (2MB, 1988x2362px) Image search: [Google]
vcQ4Sb9.jpg
2MB, 1988x2362px
>>39324325
Yeah a math double major or minor would be excellent, I wish I did that. I'm currently getting prepared to self study a math bachelor's for personal satisfaction so if you can manage that definitely do it

It's important though that you don't let the math minor/major sideline you from your CS studying. Because when you're applying for CS jobs they want people who are good at CS, not random math shit. They won't ask you about topology or abstract algebra because it's useless to everyday programming. So if you skimped out on your algo/ds and computer architecture because you're too busy studying lie algebras then you will likely end up having a hard time finding a good job. Just keep thsi in mind
>>
>>39313530
second year so far. I am good at programming but i fucked up in everything else.
>>
>>39324383
>if you skimped out on your algo/ds and computer architecture because you're too busy studying lie algebras then you will likely end up having a hard time
So a math minor would be preferable to major then? Because if I have to self study data structure and algorithms on top of the regular coursework I'm gonna end up with 80+ hour weeks.
>>
>>39318077
Yeah no. Every single web dev job posting I see requires:

HTML/CSS/JS
2 or 3 backend languages (usually Java, PHP or Ruby)
Experience in a few backend frameworks for said languages
SQL and database administration knowledge
Linux and Windows server expertise
SEO knowledge
Agile, XP, Scrum, etc etc bullshit

All for $25/hr with no paid overtime and benefits =^)
>>
File: 1481684705261.gif (2MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
1481684705261.gif
2MB, 325x244px
>>39324348
No idea

To learn C++ you have to learn C completely then learn C++. If you don't know C you don't know C++. Some people will tell you otherwise but ignore them

C++ is a massive language, I'd suggest https://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-4th/dp/0321563840

I never read it but it's by the creator of C++ himself. Sorry my learning advice is probably bad. My method wasn't rigorous or anything I just sort of autistically read stackoverflow all night and stuff and programmed things in C++ constantly trying to increase my style and performance.

>>39324408
>So a math minor would be preferable to major then? Because if I have to self study data structure and algorithms on top of the regular coursework I'm gonna end up with 80+ hour weeks.
Yeah unless you're really really smart. I mean don't let me discourage you from double majoring in math and CS, like I said I kind of wish I did that. But CS by itself is really hard. People call it a meme degree but that's because they treat it like a meme degree - you can treat it like a really hard fucking degree that takes tons of time to study, because that's what it is if you actually do it properly - and that's how you get the bank

I'd start with a CS major and Math minor and if it's too easy for you in addition to extra CS studying then try to upgrade to a Math major, but I doubt this will happen. This is all assuming you want to end up being a software engineer for the rest of your life, that is

tl;dr
CS major should be your primary focus, Math minor should be extra on the side to make you a more interesting candidate, not a primary focus. You can study math once you've gotten that high paying job, with no stress of deadlines and studying. That's what I'm doing
>>
>>39324484
Ok. Thanks again
>>
File: 1494704598942.gif (1MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1494704598942.gif
1MB, 300x225px
>>39324430
That's because web dev is retarded SHIT, please read my posts with that other anon in the end of this thread here regarding C and C++. That is where the real money is at.

Web developers are code monkeys who work long hours for low pay. If you want to be a software engineer, learn to engineer software systems not make pretty little websites and apps then you'll work short hours for high pay

Like I said I work exclusively in C++ and I made $160k last year, rarely working above 45 hours a week. And I find it fun most importantly, almost not even a job
>>
>>39324520
>tfw work in C++ but make less than half of what you make
>>
>>39323939
Do some more research than listen to one bloke on 4chan.

US has better wages, yes. But it has higher rents, and you pay a shitload more for all forms of medical care and insurances. And as opposed to the European norm of 8h workdays, 5 days a week, extra pay for *all* overtime, 5 weeks of vacation every year and a whole lot of negotiation room for part time work deals, unpaid leaves etc... in the US it's likely you'll be working 10-12 hour days if not longer, 6 days a week, unpaid overtime (local custom often being that overtime's a normal part of job), and a much more hierarchial system where the employee has very little room for negotiating special leaves or privileges.

So there's a very high chance you'd be heading into an early burnout, being used to the relatively easy-going European work ethic.

>>39318134
Yes yes and your iPhone is much better than anything else because you got it and you need to fanboi the shit out of it. Yet more bullshit. There are over a hundred viable languages and dev branches out there, each just as viable. Web dev can be shit just like C. And just like C, it can also be part of cutting-edge projects in great companies, with great pay, great career opportunities and all.

*What* you do is far less essential than how good you are doing it, as long as it's not a dead language. I put all my eggs into one basket and against everyone else's recommendations dug into an obscure, rare code that I just happened to like. That decision was the best one I've made in my life, and right now I'm in a critical role in several projects with several clients, enjoying great pay and benefits.

If you don't do what you like, you won't get very far no matter what it is you're doing.
>>
>>39324520
>just started learning C
any tips or pointers?
What's a good book for learning C?
>>
>>39324484
>To learn C++ you have to learn C completely then learn C++.
i did the complete opposite...learned c++ first and then learned C.
>>
>>39323897
>{company whose products you are likely using right now}
what uni? what is the company you work at?
>>
>>39313530
I WAS trying to get a degree in computer science, but then got depression and flunked out. I do work on personal projects though because unlike something like doctor stuff you don't need a special certificate or degree to practice it. Also once I have enough money I plan on starting my own software company.
>>
How meme tier do you guys think this python course is?
https://www.udemy.com/python-for-finance-and-trading-algorithms/
I already know some python but i am curious about this application.
>>
>>39325792
It looks like a cool course but it's useless unless it exists within some context.

>Are you going to make your own algo trading programs and be a day trader who utilizes them?
No, I wouldn't suggest it unless you want to use everything?

>Are you wanting to work at algo trading firms?
This won't help you by itself because they don't use python and you need all the knowledge a CS degree provides to write high quality low latency software for the firm

That being said, all knowledge is good. There's never something "not worth" knowing if the alternative is playing video games instead. So study all you can but maybe focus on learning languages in general instead of applications of obscure libraries and stuff that you'll never end up needing to use.
>>
>>39324430
Not here famalan. You either get a CS or some hard STEM degree or you can know it all and still wont get a job.
>>
>>39325870
Alright thanks. I will prpbably never use this knowledfe anyway but at least it would be cool to know it.
>>
>>39325146
K&R is a meme, but it's a good meme.
>>
>>39325870
>they don't use python
I thought quant trading was all about Python and C++ with some R/MATLAB thrown in?
>won't help you by itself
>a CS degree
Isn't CS a bad choice for quant trading? Don't they mostly hire statistics or math majors?
>>
>>39313603
>is shite at interviews
>probably did no/poor internships
>has poor programming skills
>even affirmative action doesn't give him a pass because of how terrible he is

it's because of my colooooooor
>>
>>39326085
There are two options here for working at quantitative trading firms

>Software Engineer working on their infrastructure
If you want to be one of these you generally need to know C++ extensively, some like Jane Street use Haskell but I think it's a meme and they'd be better off with C++ if they used it right. Basically for positions like this, follow the guide I wrote earlier to another anon (all the long posts in the second half of thread)

>Data Scientists analyzing market data and finding trading strategies
This is a position for people with PhDs in physics or machine learning, they're not going to hire people who only know some cool tricks from udacity courses to say the least
>>
>>39326442
>PhDs in physics or machine learning,
Those are the actual quants right?
Is the PhD mandatory or do they hire from MSc too?
>>
Finished first year of uni, will start doing more programming related shit. Hope it's going to be better than the first year.
>>
>>39326576
Yeah they're the quants. I don't know, maybe they do MSc internships or something but I think it's all PhD.
>>
What are some good books for learning assembly?
I have Hacking: the art of exploitation by Erickson but I don't know if it's exhaustive.
>>
>tfw had my 12th grade internship this year
>was there with 2 of my classmates
>arrive late first day
>boss guy is really chill and liked by everyone and doesn't give a shit cuz first day lmao
>my monitor is a total autistic weirdo
>thankfully I get to stay in a different room than my other two classmates
>they get stuck in a shitty dusty room with no windows doing hardware stuff
>I have to do a fucking c# program that manages keys requisition and other shit
>really fuckin underprepared
>over the course of 3 months the boss guy tells me about new shit to add to the program everytime I feel like I'm getting to close to concluding the damn thing
>this leads to a bunch of anxiety and panicking
>tfw got a 19 outta 20
>tfw never talked to anyone and they liked me
>>
>>39319847
Fucking excuses, excuses, excuses. Die alone and a failure, then.
>>
>>39327437
It's good enough to teach you to teach yourself. If you already know C, I suggest you play around on https://godbolt.org. It compiles your C code in real time and shows you line by line what assembly it makes. It's really cool and a great learning tool.
>>
>>39327492
Yeah I know C, and thanks.
Will it be enough to make me able to write decent asm programs, or pieces of programs?
I'd read Knuth's books but the assembly language he teaches doesn't even exist
>>
File: 1478667819347.gif (955KB, 245x145px) Image search: [Google]
1478667819347.gif
955KB, 245x145px
>>39327465
>tfw never talked to anyone and they liked me
This is the best thing about software jobs

I never talk to anyone, I eat lunch alone in my office and read reddit and the news. I don't say a word during meetings unless spoken to and even then only a few words

It's perfect for me, and I still get recognized and got a great bonus this year for performance alone. Software is a true meritocracy and it's the best place for smart robots
>>
>>39327586
desu I spent a lot of time with my classmates playing wow on my laptop and going to various rooms and checking the state of the computers.
Was comfy and I miss it.
>>
>>39327586
Isn't that slowly coming to an end with the startup culture bullshit?
>>
>>39327630
Only if you work at bullshit startup companies ;)

Work for an established company with mainly old people and you'll get a good work environment with a good work life balance and meritocracy.
>>
>>39327723
>an established company with mainly old people
Like what? Established companies like Google, Amazon, Apple or Facebook are all hiring young extroverted college grads who pass their stupid beer test or whatever.
Do you mean companies that deal with enterprise products and hardware like IBM for example?
>>
>>39313603
affirmative action makes it waaaayyyyy easier for you to land jobs. You're just a dumb worthless nigger blaming everything on "muh racism"
>>
File: 1483495311076.png (288KB, 594x452px) Image search: [Google]
1483495311076.png
288KB, 594x452px
>>39327768
>Established companies like Google, Amazon, Apple or Facebook are all hiring young extroverted college grads who pass their stupid beer test or whatever.
That's not true, companies like this have areas where it is primarily old people who want a good work life balance. What you're talking about is the stereotype attributed to them through their branding - they want to see like that so they attract those millenial extroverted hipster cucks. But they hire everyone.
>>
>>39321748
Quit now before you waste all your money
>>
Not going in software engineering or some sort of comp sci field is one of the biggest regrets I have
>>
ML worth getting into?
Thread posts: 170
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.