[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /r9k/ how religious are you http://www.strawpoll.me/13786473

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

File: 1478165033943.png (701KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1478165033943.png
701KB, 500x667px
hey /r9k/ how religious are you
http://www.strawpoll.me/13786473
>>
>>39302552
I turned from flaming atheist to Christian within a few years
>>
>>39302569
what changed it for you: introspection, people in your life, people online?
>>
I'm like "go to church maybe a year" tier now.

Before I would go every Sunday pretty much.
>>
I'm not at all religious but I don't talk about spirituality or religion with anyone, and have attended services just to accompany relatives and/or friends.
>>
>>39302613
actually the same logic that made me an atheist before. First I learned about Alexander technique, which is a technique for musicians to overcome problems with tension. I became more radical with this thinking and applied it to more and more parts of my life, until I found out that this philosophy covers mostly with Christian theology. Only thing I didn't understand for a long time was the thing about Jesus, but the more I read about it the more clear it became. Took me some years though, and I think I'm still not at the end of the journey.

Most interesting fact in my opinion is that I always considered myself as sceptical and scientific and I grew up in an atheistic family and environment. Now it seems to me to be the most logical choice and I pity everybody who laughs about it.
Smart people are to blame for laughing at religions, because non-smart people now think they can appear smart by bashing on religion, too.
>>
>>39302552

I went from atheist to Orthodox Christian
>>
> half of /r9k/ are atheists of some kind
That was kind of unexpected since there is a good chunk of /pol/acks.

>>39302909
Do you live in Russia?
>>
Went from Christian to agnostic when I was 15 and haven't looked back.
>>
>>39302940
>thinking that people with an unironic /pol/ mindset would be anything other than a Godless Fool
>>
>>39302994
Unironic /pol/ mindset is all about "muh tradishoons". And it includes religion.
>>
File: isis wojack.png (36KB, 690x539px) Image search: [Google]
isis wojack.png
36KB, 690x539px
Islam is one of the only robot tier religions.
>>
File: 1481436674877.png (49KB, 184x195px) Image search: [Google]
1481436674877.png
49KB, 184x195px
NO GODS NO MASTERS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: IMG_1585.jpg (185KB, 998x998px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1585.jpg
185KB, 998x998px
I believe that god exists and that he is evil.
We didn't ask to be created.
Why are we born into a life of suffering?
Why weren't we born into paradise?
Why were we created at all?
All for the amusement of some narcissistic sadist?
>>
>>39303353
without bad there would be no good. You can see that this is true that in the Western world, which is almost like paradise, bad must be defined in absurd ways to be able to define good as well. E.g. tfw no girlfriend, I'm too bored with the video games I used to like, etc. compared to 'I lost my family in a war' or 'I'm gonna starve to death tomorrow' in less saturated countries
>>
>>39302900
Second part of your post is spot on for me too. I was hardcore atheist when I was younger back before it was a meme then as I grew older I began to think that a God existing is actually the most logical conclusion. I've been thinking for quite awhile about joining a church but I don't know which is right for me. Some have beliefs that I feel are quite absurd.

>>39302909
Orthodoxy is what I'm leaning towards too.
>>
>>39302900
I don't know, I see the value that organised religion brings to a community (to my mind, the most valuable thing religion offers is that it forces people to recognise that they are part of a larger whole, which I think is necessary for the health of society and something that isn't addressed directly enough by anything else outside of academia)

but I also don't see it as the only way to achieve this, so I don't take issue with anyone who doesn't believe. I'm not religious myself, but I really think that a person should believe anything that would allow them to live and operate in a healthy way on an individual level so long as it doesn't impede on the lives of others. Whether that be as simple as believing that everybody loves you or as elaborate as an entire religion.
>>
>>39302552
heh, that chart is exactly as I thought it would be. Ofc, it's not a surprise; A bunch of autists in an online forum bitching about the world.
>>
I believe godly entities may exist, I don't glorify them any more than I would the government. If they want to lend me a hand, cool. If not, fuck off.
>>
>>39303718
kek, indeed
it'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic
>>
File: uravalinnat.jpg (75KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
uravalinnat.jpg
75KB, 500x707px
I believe god exists but he's not a cuckold like the mainstream christianity makes him out to be. Some religions got it right but they got cucked by politics real fast.
>>
Religious people should be caned.
>>
It's foolish to reject the possibility of gods. It's also foolish to accept human story books as the great truth about this universe. In reality gods are both far lower and far higher than anticipated, and there are as many different kinds of them as there are stars in the galaxy.
>>
>>39302552
I think Spinoza's proof of God is all we know
>>
File: 1484859990913.jpg (30KB, 600x770px) Image search: [Google]
1484859990913.jpg
30KB, 600x770px
>>39303841
what the fuck do you think this means in an actual sense
>>
Identify as a christian to others and I read the book
I like the idea of it and the deeper message/meaning
>>
>>39303863
In this vast universe and all other dimensions there are a ton of dudes who are powerful from the perspective of a human, ranging from alien-tier to beyond omnipotent. Just as there are different levels of species on earth, from bacteria to mankind, there are different levels of power of gods. Not in any kind of organized hierarchy, to them it is the same as the biosphere is to us. It's the most likely outcome of this universe after all, there are most certainly beings in this universe far larger and far more advanced than we are, possibly that created humans.
>>
File: 1346103537.jpg (36KB, 360x432px) Image search: [Google]
1346103537.jpg
36KB, 360x432px
I was devout until I found out about a disease called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. It's an illness that anyone can develop after an accident, even something as minor as being poked in the wrong spot while having your blood drawn, banging your knee against something, or being bitten by a spider. It causes you to experience pain worse than UNTREATED, FIRST-BIRTH LABOR PAIN EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE (source: http://www.rsdhope.org/mcgill-pain-index---where-is-crps-pain-ranked.html). The pain you experience CONSTANTLY, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE is WORSE than HAVING A FINGER CUT OFF WITHOUT ANESTHESIA. It generally starts in the site of the injury and can SPREAD, sometimes to YOUR WHOLE FUCKING BODY. There are few treatments for this disease and they usually don't work. Here's an article about someone living with CRPS: http://www.menshealth.com/health/complex-regional-pain-syndrome

And here's a quote from the sufferer:
"I can feel it everywhere," Justin says one Friday afternoon, stretched out plank-like on his bed, his voice little more than a droning. "It's 24/7, non-stop pain. For me, it feels like my bones are being crushed all over. It's a horrible, crushing pain all over my body. I never get a break from it. There's days when it's worse than others, but even at its best, it's a million times worse than any pain I had before."

How the fuck am I supposed to believe in anything when any of us can be launched into a personal torture chamber like this at nearly any moment? There is a Hell, but there's no Heaven. There's no condition where your body feels awesome all of the time. You could say that persistent genital arousal disorder or hypersexuality are such conditions, but these conditions also cause suffering to those affected.

You can live a healthy lifestyle and still end up in the worst pain known to medical science for the rest of your life for no reason other than you had an accident.

And that's how I lost my faith.
>>
>>39302552
"Catholic" -> Deist -> Atheist -> Hardcore Atheist -> Deist -> Hardcore Deist
>>
>>39303353
This >>39303400 is correct. However, you are incorrect about not being born into paradise. You were born into paradise, this, hell, and everything infinitely from one extreme to the other.
>>
>>39303984

>>39299766
Is what I believe
>>
>>39303754
God takes the cold ones and the hot ones. Enjoy your stay in hell
>>
File: IMG_2629.jpg (46KB, 512x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2629.jpg
46KB, 512x300px
>>39303984
>not mentioning agnosticism -> transtheism -> post-theism

Kys
>>
>>39303984
you have deist in two positions on opposite sides of the spectrum
>>
Used to be culturally Christian until I realised it was super cucky and a Jewish construct. Kinda want to explore Paganism but I'm not sure if I would commit.
>>
>>39303400
>without bad there would be no good. You can see that this is true that in the Western world, which is almost like paradise, bad must be defined in absurd ways to be able to define good as well. E.g. tfw no girlfriend, I'm too bored with the video games I used to like, etc. compared to 'I lost my family in a war' or 'I'm gonna starve to death tomorrow' in less saturated countries#
this is the most ludicrous pseudo-intellectualism I've ever read

that's definitely hyperbole but it's still pretty frustrating to read.
>>
>>39304144
Sorry, I was explaining my transition of beliefs. That's why. I believed it from the perspective of both sides
>>
>>39302552
If this was in a mosque I'd actually be impressed.

Modern Catholicism doesn't even give a shit about sexual deviance
>>
>>39304218
like any religion, they make big noises about it but it pervades their culture
>>
>>39302569
4chan: 14 years turning people into brainlets.
>>
File: 1489923645669.png (5KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489923645669.png
5KB, 480x480px
>>39303898
what does it mean for an entity/dude to be "beyond omnipotent"

do you consider, say, the universe itself to be a "dude"
>>
I don't care about most religion since I'm not religious, but I hate fundamentalist Christianity, retarded cults like Scientology, and beyond any and all else, Islam. I'd love to go back in time and kick the shit out of Muhammad's mother when she was pregnant. I wish I could be a pagan, but the pagan gods are equally retarded because they're all a bunch of violent, drunk, partying faggots who I'm supposed to worship because my ancestors 1,000 years ago did before they stopped worshipping them and instead worshipped a dead Jew.
>>
>>39304503
you have a really strange relationship with religion anon
>>
>>39304533
After I quit (((Christianity))), I tried being a pagan but I realised the whole thing was retarded. I don't even care enough to be an atheist, I only care about religion because people (mostly Muslims) make me care about it.
>>
all you people saying "i'm agnostic" or "i'm just not that religious" are just kidding yourselves. to believe in god is to give a fuck, to say "god exists but who cares" doesn't make sense on any level. Stop trying to walk the line so you can pretend like you're above it all and accept your religion.
>>
>>39302552
Very. I was baptized into the Catholic Church this past Easter, and I couldn't be happier. My family got baptized a year before that, my mom started going to mass a year before that. I've only been going since the easter before last.

I turned from extreme nihilist agnostic-atheist cunt to more religious than anyone I know.

Orthodox/Catholic is top tier.

Lutheran/similar Protestant ideologies is middle

Baptist/similar protestant ideologies not connected to Christ through apostolic lineage is low tier

Jehovah's Witness/Mormon/other non-christian "christian" religions are Muslim tier.

Also, I used to be a Jehovah's Witness. We left when I was like 13 or so.
>>
>>39303353
Suffering is how we learn. There's also original sin to consider.
>>
I'm just a lazy Spinoza loving Pantheist.
>>
Not a single person here "believes" in God.
You wouldn't be here in the first place
"Believing" in something as big as a God means you enter on an extatic plane of existence, and every second of your life is transfigured by that light.
Only mystics and schizophrenics with a sense of religion are True Believers
>>
>>39304171
that's just how it is, good and bad have be defined somehow. If you have some argument against it, post it
>>
File: 1481728455129.jpg (81KB, 800x412px) Image search: [Google]
1481728455129.jpg
81KB, 800x412px
>>39302552
Some poof was hollering about Jesus on campus today. This retard genuinely believed the world was created in 6 days.

Religion is a mental disease.
>>
>>39304845
your situation is actually super interesting anon, can I ask some questions?

what age were you "nihilistic/agnostic/atheistic"? were you arguing with your family then? Has your family always been religious (while you were alive at least)?

why did your family leave the witnesses?
were you too young to be a part of the discussion when it happened, or were you kept abreast of the conversation that I assume took place between your parents?

Finally, I don't know many other families who have ever kind of shopped around for a church to be a part of, what role does religion play in your family? When you guys changed churches, how did those changes manifest themselves at home (did you change the ways you prayed, if at all, etc)? What nationality are you, and did your family immigrate to the country you currently live in?
>>
>>39304871
>There's also original sin to consider.
Humanity would not exist without the "original sin". Even the creation story paints God as being malicious towards human advancement.
>>
>>39304914
Exactly, if I believed in God and eternal Heaven, I'd be in monkhood or a convent. These are the only people who really believe in God; the rest just use it as a psychological crutch for their poor liddle egos.
>>
>>39304914
this doesn't even apply to any person in fucking scripture what are you on
>>
not religious, near death experiences i saw the light. i saw a bunch of hot blonde angels.
>>
>Be Christian for like 17 years
>The churchgoing, youthgroup visiting, skillet listening Christian
>Despite all of this I still questioned God all the time
>Slowly my doubts grow
>Go from Christian to apathetic to agnostic to atheist
>25 and better off now than when I believed in a god
>>
>>39305088
That leaves you thinking, ain't it?
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.