[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is becoming an electrician a smart career choice? Asking for me

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2913.jpg (215KB, 957x1300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2913.jpg
215KB, 957x1300px
Is becoming an electrician a smart career choice? Asking for me
>>
>>39275759
yes
i wanted to be one but its hard to get into an union.
>>
>>39275759
Only if you know how electricity works.
>>
>>39275779
not op but I am 30 retarded and work in food service could I learn?
>>
i think there will always be demand for an electrician, yeah.
>>
It's probably the best grunt monkey job out there with a very rewarding salary if you progress all the time...
>>
>>39275791
No, it's something you're born with.
>>
>>39275779
>>39275791
>>39275810
hes being retarded. you dont need to know anything. you work and get educated. thats how electrician apprenticeship work.
>>
I always thought it was super complicated but I've done a few 1st grader tier projects like splicing lines or dabbing a little solder to boards. I don't know shit about what electric is or works but it's easy enough to put in outlets or wire something to receive power. I needed somethingbe 240v so I just made a thing that plugs in with two plugs. 120+120=240v. Needs to be on seperate circuits but it actually works. After that project I realized it's a joke and only reason it pays well is because guys doing it for career have to climb scaffold or crawl through claustrophobing tunnels to do it.
>>
>>39275824
If you weren't born feeling the electricity running through your veins, you were never meant to become an electrician. You cannot control these powers beyond your comprehension and will get someone, possibly yourself, hurt or killed.
>>
>>39275824
alright so I actually have no idea how the real world works and I am 30 living with my parents how would I go about getting into trade before shit hits the fan
>>
>>39275890
first you need to get sponsorship which can be a non-union place or a union (ibew) place. union place is usually always better. for non-union, you'd pretty much have to ask for a job have them educate you while you work there.

for union, you need to apply, write a logic test and a one on one interview. if you do good, they put you on a list and call you if there are work
>>
>>39275932
alright a google search has a few places I can look into however due to where I live the closest ones are 2+ hour drives
>>
>>39275858
.t the guy who uses the wrong meter on a circuit and gets killed by an arc flash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8auz60ma0A
>>
>>39275824
>>39275932
My buddy signed up for a union electrician apprenticeship. You need some type of college degree (at least an associates) to be considered.

It's not as easy to get into as you would think. They make great money though.
>>
>>39275759
Absolutely. Demand is always there. They can't ship your job overseas. You could move.literally anywhere and find work. Spend some time learning the trade, make decent money and then go off on your own and if you play your cards right you can make great money. Do it.
>>
Not sure where op is or how it works in other countries but you don't need to be union to work in the US. You can start as a laborer work your way up, make connections and get sponsored that way, with some real life experience as well.
>>
>>39275759
Become an electrical engineer if youre young enough to go to college
>>
>>39275759
No your body will be destroyed but hey do it anyway
>>
>>39275759
I guess if you want a long term stable joe ye, if you wanna earn big money from it than not so much.
>>
>>39276829
can you explain what happened in the video?
>>
>>39276829
I was about to say nigga gon get fried like chicken when he forgets to shut off the mains and tries to install a wall plug.
>>
>>39275759
Not if you're a beta. My friend is an electrician and has been in the same lowpaying job for awhile now. The guy he works for tried to train him to do other things and he whined about it and is now back doing the same old thing. He should learn new things and look into being a journeyman or SOMETHING but he just does this job and complains to me about it all the time. He also is in a relationship with this fat chick who has a kid with another person if that gives you an idea of what kind of guy this is.

If you have some of a drive to succeed then you can make a lot of money in a trade but it's not easy work.
>>
>>39275759
>not asking for a friend
>>
>>39275759
My uncle's an electrician and he does well, he's been doing it as long as I can remember and he's part of the city union
>>
>>39276855
here in canada you only need a highschool diploma
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.