[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I looked directly at the sun during the eclipse, AMA

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12

File: myheadkindahurtstho.jpg (239KB, 1800x1238px) Image search: [Google]
myheadkindahurtstho.jpg
239KB, 1800x1238px
Was watching the eclipse for a while, sat under a tree so most of the light didn't reach me. Eventually stacked 2 sets of sunglasses on top of each other, went into the yard and looked directly into the sun for a few seconds. Did this a couple times during the different phases of the eclipse. I only saw the faded image of the sun when I closed my eyes and it was gone after about a minute. Also, during the peak eclipse (I'm not in a spot where the sun is fully covered, only a sliver of the sun was visible) I tried the method of criss-crossing my fingers so only a tiny pinhole was visible and looked through it straight at the sun. Doing this I saw the eclipse clearly, and there was no after-image burned into my eyes.

I seem to be okay. I figured if the sun was going to damage your eyes you would notice it right away, so I guess I'm fine. AMA
>>
Why don't people just use a mirror?
>>
>>39216672
why don't we use mirrors to prank people into looking at the eclipse is a better question
>>
>>39216653
son wake up
looking at the eclipse sent you into a delirious state and then into a coma
we're trying to communicate to you
please wake up
>>
It takes about 12 hours for the damage to appear, so don't think your in the clear.
>>
>>39216811
This

Visit a doctor as soon as possible OP
>>
>>39216672
What the fuck would a mirror do except bounce the radiation into your eyes from a different angle?

>>39216698
Woke

>>39216811
>>39216832
I kinda doubt that there would be damage after looking away from the sun
>>
>>39216653
OP when it happened here two years ago I stared directly into it and did the whole criss cross thing and was fine
>>
>>39216881
Look it up. If there was damage you probably wont know until tomorrow morning
>>
>>39216881
is this entire thread a troll trying to get people to damage their eyes permanently?
>>
You will slowly go blind over the next few months.

Enjoy sight while you can.
>>
>>39216811
w-what if i only looked at it a second or so
>>
so is looking at an eclipse somehow more dangerous than just looking at the sun on a normal day? i've looked at the sun loads of times, it hurts a bit but its not dangerous
>>
>>39217141
yes i mean were on 4chan what do you expect?
>>
>>39217182
Yes, for two reasons.

1. It is darker outside during an eclipse, so your pupils are dialated. This focuses light hitting the lens of your eye more sharply and magnifies the effect. Think of someone shining a flashlight in your eye during the day vs. night.

2. Relativity. Gravitational forces are pulling the light beams around the moon's atmosphere. In an area without complete coverage, several beams are getting pulled tightly together so the light you see around the edges are much more intense than regular sunlight.
>>
>>39216927
Exactly

>>39217117
From what I've read looking for a few seconds at a time is fine

>>39217141
>>39217204
Nope. I'm being honest

>>39217170
[X[ Doubt

>>39217178
Should be fine

>>39217182
Looking at the sun normally would cause your ayes to naturally squint, during an eclipse you have no natural squint reflex because less of the sun is exposed, and you could look for long enough to cause damage (10+ seconds from what I've read)
>>
>>39217182
it's when the sun comes out again from behind the moon when it's dangerous, something about gravition and how light is bent around the moon or something (many years since science class, dont remember the specifics), but the light is alot stronger.

Think of it as someone taking a magnifying glass and focusing the sunlight.

Somewhat similar consept.
>>
I was actually looking at it directly as soon as the moon took over the sun. The entire time nothing happened besides my book of spells being enhanced by the eclipse. Eye sight is totally fine and nothing wrong will happen at all.
>>
>>39216653
I saw the eclipse through sun glasses and a thin cloud. When the cloud passed it was much brighter thn the sun normally is but I still highly doubt it damaged my eyes. Cause i looked for like 3 seconds.
>>
I looked at it directly for about 15 seconds without any protection, and I feel fine. Don't believe the scientists.
>>
Y'all do have me worried about it being a bit more harmful but I still don't think it managed to hurt my eyes.
>>
>>39217674
Exactly.I looked at it for the entirety of it's duration and I feel absolutely fine
>>
>>39217704
>>39217674
you will start noticing the effects in around 12-24 hours
>>
who the fuck needs eyes anyway? I've been blind for the past 30 years
>>
>>39217748
I honestly doudt that. I really do.
>>
Apparently only 70 people in britain were blinded, amd 70 in canada when there were eclipses there. And about half completely healed.

Looking at it shortly is only a risk, but don't do it for more than a few seconds.
>>
File: 1502746498284.jpg (34KB, 607x341px) Image search: [Google]
1502746498284.jpg
34KB, 607x341px
All of you are just shooting the memes right?
>>
>>39217879
No I actually looked at it. Got a problem,son?
>>
I loOkEd aT tHE eClipSe WiTh bOtH mY eYeS fOr tEn MiNuTeS bRo aNd GuEsS whAT???
I cAn CoUnT aLL tEn FinGeRs!!
tAkE tHAt, sCiEncE!!
>>
File: Cestro.jpg (72KB, 852x640px) Image search: [Google]
Cestro.jpg
72KB, 852x640px
How long would you have to look at the eclipse for exactly?
>>
>>39217967
I too would like to know this. People are just saying "don't do it" but there has to be a duration that is guaranteed to cause damage.
>>
>>39217967
>>39218018
Nobody has tested the exact amount of time it takes to cause damage.
The rule of thumb is 1-3 seconds is fine, 4-5 seconds is pushing it, and 6-10+ will cause damage
>>
>>39218889
So 30 seconds is pretty bad,right?
>>
>>39218942
shouldn't be a problem, I made my dog watch it for about that and it seems fine
>>
File: solar-fp.jpg (363KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
solar-fp.jpg
363KB, 800x533px
>>39216653
>I figured if the sun was going to damage your eyes you would notice it right away
That's not how it works. Your retina doesn't have pain receptors so you wouldn't feel a thing. Also radiation in the nonvisible spectrum is still damaging your eyes. Also your brain processes out blind spots (everyone has naturally two) so you won't see a change in your vision unless you test for it. That old guy that made the rounds in the news warning people about what happened to him didn't notice until he went to get an eye exam to join the Airforce and the doc said "You've looked directly at an eclipse at some point haven't you?"

All that being said, if you were in the path of totality and looked up during the total eclipse stage you should be fine. Otherwise you could have a hole the size and shape of pic related on your retina.
>>
>>39216653
I looked straight at the sun w/o anything. Are you not supposed to?
>>
Every kid stared at the sun when they were young. Taking a few glances at an eclipse won't do shit.
>>
File: 1475456204140.jpg (110KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1475456204140.jpg
110KB, 633x758px
>>39219008
Are you being serious m8? I thought it would only hurt you if you were in the line of totality. I looked up at it for a about a second a total of 3 or 4 times.

How do I get this tested, and if I have it is there a way to fix it?

My vision was a little blurry but it feels relatively normal now.
>>
>>39219106
You'll know if you have damage because you'll have a fuzzy spot in your vision, that's the symptom of a burnt retina.
If you can see just fine then you're fine. But fucking hell don't look directly at the sun ever for longer than 5 seconds
>>
>>39219106
A few seconds isn't going to destroy your eyes. The guy in the articles looked at it for 20/30 seconds. Also if you weren't in the path of totality chances are the light that was still shining made your iris dilate so it shouldn't be too bad. If you're really concerned schedule an appointment with an optometrist. They'll tell you how bad it is.
>>
>>39217482
>moon
>atmosphere
>>
File: 1502672058958.gif (74KB, 69x120px) Image search: [Google]
1502672058958.gif
74KB, 69x120px
So who else just slept through it?
>>
>>39219324
I don't live anywhere near the path of totality so I just remembered it was today, glanced outside when it was at it's peak, went "Oh, yeah, the sun is a crescent." then went back inside to play Skyrim.
>>
>>39216687
Lost my sides
>>
File: IMG_2124.jpg (106KB, 405x521px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2124.jpg
106KB, 405x521px
>>39219106
Stop letting the Jewish fearmongering trick you into buying a pair of Jewvision goggles. I'm fairly well studied on this subject and I'll offer you some helpful knowledge in midst of all of the pseudo-science and misinformation being spread. Viewing the sun poses a risk to the viewer that range from short to long term effects based on the time spent viewing the sun;
this is fairly obvious as it's a general rule of thumb to not look at something that's 400,000 times brighter than a full moon. An eclipse does not amplify nor create any new risks, this is ludicrous. The short term injury caused by sun damage is just a sunburn (called keratitis) for the human eye. This discomfort will clear up within a few days. Solar retinopathy begins immediately after any amount of exposure, but noticeable damage begins after at least fifteen seconds of exposure. Symptoms may manifest immediately or anywhere from seven hours to a few weeks. I wouldn't worry much, Anon. Remember the times you may have glanced at the sun at other times for a few seconds, do you have any major or noticeable visual impairments because of it? Most likely that answer will be a resounding no.
>>
>>39216653
I used my old style (always dark, flip up) welding helmet to look at it without any discomfort or damage to my eyes. My question is why are you retarded?
>>
Who here /upset/?

I think this eclipse is one of the worst points of my life. I feel shattered. Wtf that sucked at 97% but supposedly totality was amazing. Never again will a total eclipse be a 60-minute drive from my house and I missed it because I was wagecucking at my meaningless job. Meditation is helping me be stoic but I have a feeling it's going to hit me later.
I literally had dreams about today and the eclipse, and I spent it being underwhelmed in a parking lot.
>>
>>39219598
Seven years you can see another eclipse. Go to it.
>>
>>39219598
You're lucky the next one is in 7 years. The last one before today was like 40 years ago.
>>
Alot of bait in this thread. The only way your eyes will be damaged from an eclipse is if you are looking at it when the moon passes away from the sun. So basically you shouldn't be looking at it when it goes from dark to light. The reason why your eye gets damaged is because your Iris is trying to take in alot of light(because it is dark from the eclipse) and when the moon stops blocking the sun, all the light from the sun starts traveling back to you. Since your irises are huge (since they think it's night and need to observe more light to see) your eyes take in massive amount of light from the sun which could cause damage to your eyes.
>>
>>39219598
hate to break the news,
the eclipse has passed you by
and left you a cuck
>>
>>39216653
how have you not died yet
>>
i looked directly into the eclipse for about 10 seconds, and my eyes have felt strained ever since. ive been trying to play video games and my eyes are watering and i am not doing as good at call of duty as i normally do.
>>
>>39220710
>i am not doing as good at call of duty as i normally do.
I'm sorry to say that the Sun's gamma radiation has turned you into a pleb
>>39220568
As for OP, it seems like the Sun's gamma radiation has turned him into a mega-faggot

The Sun giveth, and the Sun taketh away.
>>
I fell for the Jew goggle meme and looked at it for like 5 seconds. Even with them on on eyes felt a burning sensation so I stopped. I-I'm fucked aren't I?
>>
You damaged your eyes dumbass
>>
File: image.jpg (714KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
714KB, 4032x3024px
>>39219598
I had an 80% eclipse and it was a blast.
>>
fuck normies, all I heard the last week was omg an eclipse, it's one in a lifetime like do you not understand this is once in a lifetime. Went outside, looked directly at it. My right eye is all fucked up and I cant see clearly out of it. You fucking assholes probably blinded me, fuck this fucking normie shithole.
>>
>>39220937
I guess you'll have to lean on your left one from here on out
>>
File: 1500418582658.png (280KB, 646x595px) Image search: [Google]
1500418582658.png
280KB, 646x595px
>>39216653
I wore two pairs of shades and wrapped a two-folded black shirt in front of my eyes just to see how much the moon filled in for only a few seconds. It was only a partial eclipse.

Am I fucked?
>>
>>39221603
You did better than I did. You're fine
>>
File: 1424025566017.png (40KB, 325x297px) Image search: [Google]
1424025566017.png
40KB, 325x297px
>partial eclipse is obscured though clouds and can't see anything with the special glasses on
>notice I can look at it fine with my eyes alone
>make a tiny pinhole with my fingers and stare at it for an extended period of time
>only realize afterward how fucking retarded that was
when can I expect my eye to start growing tumors and blind me? it already kinda aches a bit but I can't tell if it's just placebo
would the clouds have helped protect my eye at all?
>>
>>39224263
placebo
you're fine
>>
I used a welding mask to look at it. It was only about 60% in my region, but it was p cool.
>>
Your retinas don't have pain-receptors so no, you wouldn't notice anything different you retard.
Natural selection playing out as intended.
>>
>>39216653
Damage sets in next morning.

RIP OP
>>
>>39217786
once cells discover they are damaged by UV radiation they commit sudoku.
>>
>>39218987
Pfrrrrrt Hahahahahaha
>>
>>39216653
the effects kick in after 24 hours

you dun goofed pal
>>
File: virgin_glasses.jpg (478KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
virgin_glasses.jpg
478KB, 2048x2048px
>he fell for the glasses meme
>>
>>39219690
in that case I'm mostly safe I imagine since I started looking away once it started bubbling(bad word choice w/e) light on the right end indicating it was finishing up
>>
I looked at it too. I look at the sun all the time. Is it really that bad? I mean I only look at it with sunglasses on for like a second at a time.
>>
I already have high pressure in my eyes, slowly destroying the retina over time. Let's just speed it up a abit.
>>
>>39219315
>Our moon does indeed have an atmosphere consisting of some unusual gases, including sodium and potassium, which are not found in the atmospheres of Earth, Mars or Venus. It's an infinitesimal amount of air when compared to Earth's atmosphere
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.