[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some hobbies I can try?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: snoop.jpg (80KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
snoop.jpg
80KB, 300x300px
>bored with vidya, anime, TV, 4chan, etc
>can't fund my car hobby and roads here are boring
>have never enjoyed any sport I've tried
What are some hobbies to help me escape from boredom, /r9k/?
>>
Try making music. Worked for me. Just download a shitty freeware DAW or torrent a decent one and have at it.
>>
>>39180208
Have you ever tried a local race track?
>>
File: 20170415_142709.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170415_142709.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>39181176
Yes, a few times at my last posting, pic related

I moved to a new base recently so now I'm not near any tracks
>>
>>39180208
All 'fun' consumption based hobbies (weebshit, comicshit, vidya, movies, etc.) will burn you out on the hedonic treadmill, if you haven't been burned out already.

Production based hobbies require commitment, center around development of a skill, and preferably involve irl social engagement; these will have some sort of learning curve, and often demand hundreds of hours of grunt work before you get to the good parts. Many will look intimidating and boring.

The former is more fun short-term, the latter is the only thing that will nourish you in the long run. Your call.
>>
>>39180208
Cycling. Great hobby and you gets you outside
>>
File: A New American Gothic.jpg (83KB, 600x660px) Image search: [Google]
A New American Gothic.jpg
83KB, 600x660px
>>39180208
Anything creative like writing, drawing, music, painting etc
>>
>>39181625
>Cycling.
Agreed.
at first glance, I thought you wrote "Crying," and I am ashamed to say that I nodded to myself and thought, "Hey, this anon might be on to something."
>>
File: 1440297487164.jpg (121KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1440297487164.jpg
121KB, 500x281px
>>39181625
I live in Australia and this is great. The feeling of shifting gears everytime you go downhill to pedal faster. It just feels great.
>>
>>39182000
Now try touring
>>
File: kestrel.jpg (16KB, 340x480px) Image search: [Google]
kestrel.jpg
16KB, 340x480px
>>39180208
Birdwatching

Super original comment
>>
>>39181498
>moved to a new base recently
Ah, fuck. I was going to suggest you pick up a few bales of hay, set up a target, and take up archery. Unfortunately, that only works out if you have your own back yard.
>>
>>39180208
Play Magic the Memeining. If you play drafts it's cheap.
>>
>>39182095
Shit, there is actually an archery range nearby. Should I start with a compound or recurve?
>>
>>39182419
Recurve is the gentleman's bow.
>>
>>39181498
Shoot up the base
>>
>>3918020
Downhill longboarding
A board + slide gloves + a helmet is like $100 used
>>
File: 1502368059146.png (745KB, 703x491px) Image search: [Google]
1502368059146.png
745KB, 703x491px
Beer and wine is good. You can get started on the cheap and even used advanced methods if you have any rednecking ability. I put a hot water heater element in a plastic drum since I don't want to fuck with heavy and expensive steel or propane. It's fun trying out new recipes or tweaking variables. Small things can lead to drastic differences. Coolest I did was with a shit load of dried hibiscus. Pleasantly tart with a curious earthy funk. Cranberry really stands out but there's some bruised fruit and decaying flowers scent too. I think it got too hot though because the alcohol is really strong at just 10%abv. That's before I was better able to control my fermentation though. Now I'd do it in a swamp cooler setup. High temps are good for some beers but in wine it just comes out hot from all the higher alcohols.

Easiest way to get started is with a gallon jug of apple juice and a beer yeast. Safale 05 is fool proof but a Belgian strain can really wow you.
>>
File: WDk8vqn.gif (2MB, 310x211px) Image search: [Google]
WDk8vqn.gif
2MB, 310x211px
>>39183198
>fermenting in a plastic container

So when are you getting released?
>>
>>39180208
>can't fund my car hobby and the roads are boring
Poor bastard. Did you ever consider DIY? At the very least it'd probably give you a sense of accomplishment doing something with your hands. Just remember to keep your workbench clean and organized if you go that far, same with a kitchen.
>>
>>39182419
I shoot compound, recurve, and crossbow. Shit's cash. Start with an inexpensive recurve and go from there.
>>
>>39183268
Fermentation is usually in glass or steel since I have lots of old soda kegs laying around. You release when it's ready. Patience is a virtue here, if you try to rush it quality suffers. Plastic is ok for some things but oxygen really hurts it. If you must have it done quickly you need a good flocculating yeast, optimal nutrition, ability to control temps and pressure, and pitching with high number of cells. Why bother though? Just make more and stay ahead so you never run out before next batch is ready.
>>
Warhammer 40k and models in general
>>
Try rifle shooting? Pretty large community, lots of potential if you can afford the slightly large initial price and the upkeep, but I love it.
>>
>>39180208
Cooking.
Once you learn how to cook, maybe you'll stop being dependent on shitty food.
>>
>>39183556
If only. What happened is I started losing even more weight. Once you've had something half decent you can't go back to the same fast food shit. It goes from too lazy to mcdonald's to too lazy to stir fry.
>>
>>39181147
This, I would recommend LMMS. I know absolutely nothing about music but I made something and it isn't great, but the feeling of actually producing something creative and artistic like a song for the first time is exhilarating.

I even got my friend to do it too, and now we have soundclouds with literally only one song on them, it's hilarious and great fun
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.