[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Expat

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: Bangkok_montage_3.jpg (982KB, 1500x2020px) Image search: [Google]
Bangkok_montage_3.jpg
982KB, 1500x2020px
Is being a Yank expat a viable lifestyle? I have no life skills other than a lolberal arts degree (since I'm too stupid to learn STEM), is it easy to live in Thailand or another third world country? I've always dreamed of traveling the world, can I easily live in one of these countries and pick up a cute girl and call it a day on my life?

Anyone have any advice or useful information? Is it better there than working the rest of my life in the US in a dead-end retail job or warehouse shit?
>>
It all depends on how much cash/investments you have. Even a few hundred thousand invested in the right things can provide you enough to live on in the cheaper areas of the world.

I've strongly considered doing that myself, but with the problems around the border these days, I decided against it and instead just continued to stack my chips.

The other good way you can do it is if you start a business you can operate from overseas. A lot of pro coders get a good client base established then leave to work the contracts there. There's a guy on youtube that does this and talks about the no-bullshit costs of living there.
>>
>>39105983
Here's they guy I was talking about and a couple of his videos

https://youtu.be/03_gxfyXhlM
https://youtu.be/1ont_bjiBvU
>>
Is there any place outside of Asia? Like if you wanted to do something in Africa or Latin America, you could and be reasonably safe of not getting mugged/killed by criminal groups/terrorists as long as you weren't an idiot?
>>
>>39106186
Lots of places. You have to be careful of course, but I've heard Equador is nice and not too expensive. Also Costa rica is popular, but is getting pricey.

Still for my money, one of those beach resorts in Mexico is what I've been looking at. Yes, I know they have had issues with the booze being tainted, but they'll sort that out.
>>
If I have a few tens of thousands of dollars, plus a few more tens of thousands of dollars invested in crypto, stocks, etc. would I be able to go to these places and retire and become a NEET once again?
>>
>>39105695
Teach English in China is about it, but even now they have a system which might exclude useless shit degrees
>>
>>39105695
If you have an income of $1k/month, half of the Russian golddiggers would be yours. The other half lives in Moscow and needs no less than $3k/month and an apartment. Although real estate in Moscow costs at the same level (up to millions of dollars inside the Garden Ring) as in the States, while the quality of life... well, let's not talk about sad things.
>>
>>39106292
That's really thin, to be honest. If you cashed out everything and say had 50k, you could probably get at MOST 500 a month, but most likely less. And that would not include inflation or taxes

If you can find somewhere that you could make it on that, that's great. But in my mind, it will be nervewracking.

Basically for NEET life, the secret is to know thy numbers, stick to your budget.
>>
>>39106366
Doesn't Russia pay you to live in Siberia? And then local governments pay you more on top? So in theory, you could live in a shithole like Magadan (the city seems to be in dire need of people to live there) and the cost of flying somewhere not shit like Japan is less than it would cost to live somewhere else?
>>
>>39106408
Keep in mind, though, I'm considering the permanent/indefinite NEET case here, which is my plan.

If you want to go NEET for a year or two, 50k would be more than enough. The issue there is the reintegration back into society, explaining the hole in your resume, and dealing with the loss of net worth too. It probably took you a long while to save that 50k. You could blow half of it in a couple of years of being NEET and then blow another 5k+ moving back and spending months on a job hunt.
>>
>>39106410
Living in American shithole and in Russian shithole is different. You will still have water, electricity, central heating without significant breaks. Not like that in Russia. Let's just say that there is a government run charity that encourages people to donate firewood to elderly living in countryside. I live in a 800k city in the European part and still sometimes have shortages. For instance, water was turned off two days ago for about half a day.

As for paying to live in shitholes, I don't know the details. There was federal program that gave away land to people on condition that they'll actually use it for, say, farming. Guess that's similar to American homestead acts. But I do not know if it included foreigners. And when the program started, all the good places were somehow already occupied. The ones that were left had features like swamp covering half of it or being located on a hill. And you'd still have to build a place to live, get water, electricity, gas. Build your own road to get somewhere outside of your place.
>>
>>39106553
But I thought Russia wanted people in urban areas in Siberia? Especially in remote places like Magadan? Obviously as a NEET I am not a farmer, and even if I was, I'd be too lazy to turn a profit and I know from my worthless liberal arts degree (yay history degree) that most Homestead Act farms failed.
>>
>>39106553
Wow, that's pretty shitty. I'd definitely choose the US. You can get land for pretty cheap, so get some, pop a trailer on it, and you're good for awhile.
>>
>>39106635
So I've looked through the immigration laws, and here's what I've found.
1) First you need to get to Russia, obviously. In the customs office you'll need to fill a document called migrational card. After that you'd have to register at the local migrational service. The deadline is one week.
2) After that you'll have to get temporary residence permission. You can fill all the documents before living the States, but you can get it only after step 1. This permission allows you to live in Russia for three years. There are drawbacks, though. First, if you'll live Russia for more than half a year, it will become void. Second, there are quotas for each region. Do not think you'd run into such a problem in Magadan, though. The deadline is in your visa.
3) Year later you can file documents for permanent residence. It lasts for five years and gets renewed on request. Same as for temporary residence, you it still becomes void after half a year outside. Oh, and no more than three months a year.
4) After five years on permanent residence you can get Russian citizenship. To do so you'll have to know Russian language (doable given the six year span since you're also a NEET), to have an income source and to reject your previous citizenship.

Guess it's alright if you have a passive income.

I also could not find any Alaska-style payments for people living in Siberia or Far East. Only one grassroot proposal that was not accepted.
>>
>>39106921
That's why I'm working on getting a software dev experience.
>>
>>39106955
That's a good plan, just remember that you'll likely have to have a second career before you're in your 40s, so plan accordingly.

Very few people last in the field to that point.
>>
>>39106921
I've been thinking of that too, but even in the South where I live, you still have a long-ass commute to work and most importantly any place not crap since there is no good food, no good stores, etc. in rural areas.

>>39106935
Useful information, spasibo
>>
>>39107000
Yea the trailer idea is more "end-game" thinking, not while you're working. The better the jobs are around, the higher the housing costs, unfortunately.

Have you heard of Ran Prieur? He runs a really interesting blog. He tried to do all of that backwoods grow-your-own-food stuff but eventually found that just having a cheap on-grid home on the outskirts of town was much easier and better than a cabin in the woods.

Some of his stuff is a bit wacky, but I like his recap of him making his own home.
>>
>>39107086
But there are places where housing is cheap in rural areas. For instance, the Nashville area where I live where buying an acre of land in a surrounding county and putting a trailer there isn't too expensive and the land can be expected to appreciate in value. I pass by trailers and shitty run down homes whenever I want to go into civilization.

But if I didn't need a job, could be a NEET, and wanted to stay in the area I could find a random Southern county away from any city and park my trailer there.
>>
>>39107000
Just remember, that the quality of life would decrease drastically.

In addition to aforementioned shortages of stuff needed there is food to be concerned of. People in St. Petersburg frequently go to Finland for grocery, and that's the second most important city in the country. You're heading to a place which was home for some of the harshest penal colonies which means quality of food and quantity of it's choice would be significantly lower.
Second, there is healthcare. Yeah, it's universal and all, but doctors are underpaid, there are not that much of them and the whole system is underfinanced. So you shouldn't be surprised when she (due to low popularity of the job doctors in public sector are mostly female) would listen to your lungs with a stethoscope for five minutes, prescribe homeopathy (because she's paid to do so by homeopathy manufacturers) and kick you out so the next patient (of which there are few dozen) can come in to have the same procedure. If I were you, I'd first find out if there are private clinics in the area you want to live in.
>>
Teaching english is always viable to do in japan, china, SK, if you have a degree.

Reminder though that youre unlikely to get a asian waifu as ESL teacher is not a very illustrious career. Some people may look down on you but youll have a paid for apartment in a big city and a job.
>>
>>39107211
Oh, absolutely. I'm in real estate, so I follow the prices and have run the numbers.

But, as you said, getting land out there will make your commute harder. Sure, it could be worth it, but I always think of the "country cabin" as for when you want to call it quits.
>>
british travel anon here, have lived in 4 countries, uk, czech republic, germany and malaysia.

in most third world countries its way cheaper to live there, however you have to consider language barriers (though bc youre an amerifag), security and services. However the bottom line is, if you score a job in a country you are happy to live in, its worth moving there if thats what you look forward to
>>
>>39106984
What about switching to consultancy some time after?
>>
>>39107300
I've heard nothing good about teaching English in those countries, even if I did take Japanese in college for the requirements of my liberal arts degree. Japan seems like a great place, but only if you have money. Which teaching English won't give you, and it also won't give you the time. Although I suspect in certain countries teaching English is better than in places where the market is satured as it seems to be like in Japan and South Korea.
>>
>>39107535
It depends what you mean by that. Just being a contract programmer has the same issues, only they are more pronounced. If you mean actual consulting, you'd have to have those specific skills: meeting with clients, doing pre or post sales, etc. It's not a slam dunk.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.