[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it legal for an employer to deny me a job interview if he

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: Carl_Brutananadilewski.jpg (39KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Carl_Brutananadilewski.jpg
39KB, 600x450px
Is it legal for an employer to deny me a job interview if he offered me the interview originally? Bascially what happened is I was called to come in for a face-to-face interview, the issue is that I currently work a job so I have to coordinate going to the interview with my job schedule. Well the employer wanted to do the interview on a Tuesday, now of course I told him that I had to work all day Tuesday but could still come in for an interview anyway. I was planning to just lie and say I have a dentist appointment which my manager would believe, I know she wouldn't have a problem with it.

Anyway he told me to email him this information since I didn't know what I was working on Tuesday originally. So I emailed him and he still hasn't gotten back to me, I even called him a couple days ago and left him a voicemail asking if he got my email and to call me with any questions. I feel like he doesn't want to mess with interviewing me now which is horse-shit because I did nothing wrong, if anything an employer should work with a potential candidate's schedule if they already have another job. It doesn't seem right or legal to me for an employer to offer a job interview and then just turn around and deny the candidate the interview. I didn't even do anything wrong, I just simply said that I'd email him what I'm working and he said that'd be fine. But tomorrow is Tuesday and he is interviewing other people on Tuesday as well, so I just feel like he struck me off the list. He also said he had "limited time slots" available for interviews so now it makes me think I won't get an interview.

I mean, he was the one who offered me an interview and I accepted. I never said "No, I don't want to interview for the job." I just simply wasn't sure if I could make it to an interview on Tuesday because I have to WORK all fucking day, I mean that's not my fault and I feel like he should have been understanding about that.
>>
>Is it legal for an employer to deny me a job interview if he offered me the interview originally?
Yes. didn't read your story, this isn't reddit
>>
You're fucking stupid mate.

You never give them details about where you're currently working. Just say you can't make it at that day or time and schedule something you know you can make work.
>>
>>39065494
>"This isn't Reddit"
>Gets upset when people post life stories/situations
>Gets mad when he has to read a bunch of stuff
>Doesn't realize that /r9k/ is just one giant blogging/venting board
>Being this new
>Still using the Reddit argument when he disagrees with someone.

Alright, thanks for the bump.

>>39065520
He fucking knew I was currently employed, it says so on my resume, retard. Also most employers will ask "Are you currently employed somewhere?" That's a common question, don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Most employers will ask about your current work-status, or it'll be listed on your resume.

I suppose you could lie and say "Oh I'm unemployed." But that's retarded because I always give two weeks notice at my old job before going to a new job, so if you lie and say you're unemployed when you actually aren't then it just makes it more difficult in the long-run.
>>
When I can't come in for an interview I just tell them that day won't work and offer them two or three alternatives. I figure they are the ones who want me so I don't have to justify myself beyond what I can bring to the company. It's always safest that way. Be careful with what information you give out. One time I told them I had another interview that day, but it was a risky move. If you aren't confident in weighing risks play it safe. Employee retention is a big metric managers are evaluated on.
>>
>>39065537
I said details genius.

Yes you can be currently employed, no you don't say "well I have to work that day but I can blow it off."

He probably saw how retardedly you handled this simple situation and determined he didn't want to hire you.

Also the fact that you're so butt hurt and think this could possibly be illegal in any way shows how crazy you are, which he also probably picked up on.
>>
>>39065537
hey i didn't really read your post but you seem mad
>>
>>39065554
Well I just don't know what to do, part of me wants to call the guy who offered me the job and ask what the deal is, though I don't want to be rude or unprofessionally. I'm afraid he'll say something like "Oh well I have no more time slots for interviews." But couldn't I just say "Well could I interview on a different day? Or could you squeeze me in?" He might say "Well we were only doing interviews on that one day, sorry."

I just doesn't seem right that I was offered and he's purposely denying me the right to an interview. I mean why fucking call me and offer me an interview just to turn around and take it away from me?

>>39065573
>Doesn't think someone should be upset about an employer taking away an interview from them

You'd be upset to if you were offered an interview and then suddenly denied it for a stupid reason, I guarantee it.

>>39065592
>"You mad bro?" xD

Well first off I am mad, so trying to make me more upset by pointing it out isn't going to work. I'm admitting I'm mad, so no sense in pointing that out.
>>
>>39065624
Its shitty, I get that. All kinds of stuff happens though. Could be he's just swamped and new hires are on the back burner. One place I had to social engineer my way up to getting the directors number and hassle her a few times. I eventually got that one. Another place called me in for two interviews then a third time to sign a bunch of shit only for them to call me back later and say 'jk, changed our minds lol'. Some more details might help. At least the industry you're in. Mine it's easy because of a shortage. If it's not so green on your end patience might be needed. If you're worried about pissing them off you should probably be more careful. If you know what you're worth and think you're a good fit then proceed with wearing them down, it's for their own good after all. General rule of thumb is asking for $5k higher each time you change jobs at minimum. Otherwise why not stay at the same place. Some people lose offers simply because the manager sees they either lack ambition or just aren't worth it. If you've got a few jobs already and ask high wages he figures you're worth it and doesn't want to lose you to competition.
>>
>>39065624
If it's that big a deal call him and keep annoying him.
I never said this wasn't a shitty thing to happen but the way you're reacting isn't normal. This is how a child reacts to injustice. Jumping immediately to this is illegal, so unfair that he should face punishment.
>>
>>39065953
I suppose so, but I figured pestering an employer isn't the best way to get a job. I suppose I could call and just say "Hey, it's me again. Just wanted to know what we were doing for my interview, or what time I could come in on Tuesday for it." I could put him on the spot, and he'd probably either tell me "Okay come in this time." Or he'd say "Sorry the position is filled." He could lie to me to avoid giving me an interview, of course I would want to say something to him like "Really? You called me for an interview and now I'm not getting one because I told you I had to work all day Tuesday? Really?"

Obviously I could just hang up on him or he could hang up on me, probably wouldn't do any good to get mad at him. Anyway not sure what I'll do, the interviews are tomorrow and if I don't hear from him today then that makes me think I'm not getting it. But like that one anon said having patience might be better, it might not do any good to rush or pester him. I just feel like if I wait too long then I'll miss my chance. If they interview people on Tuesday and pick someone for the job on that same day then that means I should have probably called him BEFORE they did the interviews.
>>
>>39066051
You're not pestering you're trying to figure out wtf is going on. It'd be pestering if you were still calling a week from now.
Don't go off on him just try to figure out wtf is going on.
>>
>>39066051
Just show up. That works sometimes. It's easy to convince other staff and they'll put you through. Once there it's just a matter of convincing him he forgot the appointment. With luck you catch him unprepared and have the upper hand. Worst case scenario he apologizes and reschedules you, then gives you the job to make up for forgetting. It shouldn't be hard, you just have to speak with conviction like you truly believe you had the appointment made
>>
>employers all want 2 weeks notice
>will change their mind about hiring you if you can't start immediately despite seeing you are employed on your resume

I don't know man, I guess people are just busy taking care of themselves
>>
To answer your question: no, it isn't illegal, you dipshit.
>>
>>39065474
Listen OP getting a job solely relies on luck.
Im guessing there was a guy with good credentials and he was able to make it to an interview while you were hesitating.
Theres competition out there anon, theres so many people competeting for even the lowest rung jobs that it just means you have to see the right person at the right day of the week and at the right minute of a paticular day and hope hes in a good enough mood to hire you.
Its just life anon.
>>
>>39066655
How's 2008 treating you? You should check out 2017,its a lot better because it's nothing like what you describe in the slightest.
>>
>>39066731
Yeah, Trump brought back all of the jobs. Everyone's getting hired.
>>
>>39066585
I get that some people don't believe in giving notice, but I think it's the right thing to do. Frankly it depends on where you work, like if you're leaving a Wal-Mart job to go to a nicer company then I doubt it'd matter if you gave notice at that job. I doubt anyone gives notice at shitty retail wagecuck jobs.
>>
>>39066768
Things can only get better over the next 6 years. Already tripled my take home income since he was hired. Obama will go down as the worst president in history. At least we got it out of the way, there will never be another half black president, so at least some good came out of it. Fucking up that bad even being hard white... One can only imagine how a half 'groid would do.
>>
>>39066653
Well fuck you I feel like I should have somewhat of a right to be pissed off about it, because it's bullshit.
>>
why do you want a job if you already have one? sounds sketchy
>>
>>39066907
>Why do you want another job if you already have one, hurr durr."

For several reasons, did you even think it pays better? Has more hours? Better benefits? Are you retarded?
>>
>>39066934
More hours is a bad thing. Typically you want less hours. When people talk about hours at a job they mean hours working not off. Easy mistake, I know, but it's a pretty big one.
>>
>>39066934
i never had a job lol
>>
>>39067110
Because you're a leech NEET
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.