[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meds for depression

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1311.jpg (54KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1311.jpg
54KB, 1024x576px
If anyone has had success beating depression with meds or otherwise or is bipolar, please reply to this thread.

I'm 24 and I've been depressed since I was 12 years old. Sometimes it can be on and off, but for the majority of the time I feel depressed. When I'm not depressed I stop overthinking and I can connect with people and feel happy.

I've had a long history of taking meds, it started when I was 15 years old. For some reason instead of putting me on an anti-depressant, 2 different psychiatrist put me on anti-psychotics when I wasn't diagnosed bipolar or schizophrenic. I ended up having my first manic episode when I was 20 years old and ended up being Bipolar type 1, though.

Currently my psychiatrist has me on 2 MG Rexulti (anti-psychotic), 1600 MG Neurontin (anti-convulsant used to "treat anxiety" - it doesn't do shit) and 600 MG trileptal (mood stabilizer, doesn't do shit). She basically told me there was nothing she could do to help me last time I saw her and that I don't even need to be on meds, but I am severely depressed 80% of my life.

I had a prescription for a benzodiazepine called Klonopin for a bit and I never felt so right in my entire life, but I was taken off of it when I switched psychiatrists. The only time I've ever felt consistently good in my life was when I was having a manic episode or on a benzo, which is sad I realize.

I've tried exercise (I do this every day of the week currently), diet, meditation, therapy: none of it has helped my horrible depression. For a long time I've hated taking the pills, so I started tapering off of them recently. I got off risperidone, but at this point I realize my depression is likely here to stay and if there's any meds I can take as a bipolar person to treat the depression and anxiety side of the mental illness I'm fine with it.

Every day I suffer through depression is a day of my life I have lost.
>>
>>39031379
I'm bipolar too and I haven't found anything that works, really. The mania is easy to treat, the depression is another matter. I'm very listless lately.

I don't know if I need other medication or if there's something else I can do. It's really ruining my life though.

Stimulants do help though. Maybe you could look into that. I take bupropion, and it's perfect for my fatigue problems.
>>
I don't know if I can help, but it's worth a shot.

What I do is I have hobbies and I set goals for myself. I draw and learn to do scripting. I've been working on an app recently, and the meaningful tasks I do make me feel pretty good.

The key is to set goals and achieve them. My goals are easy, such as, "Write a player controller script."
"Draw successfully in this art style."

It doesn't cure my depression, but it gives me a sense of purpose.
>>
>>39031802

You're right about this. I had my first girlfriend this year and was going to school for Spring semester and when that was going on I felt great.

Then she dumped me and I dropped out of life again, stopped leaving the house, the whole nine yards.

On a positive note, I have been playing guitar and writing a book. I feel what you say is true, you need hope and goals, they are so important, but right now I'm struggling
>>
>>39032115
I need a gf. That would help a lot and solve a few major problems simultaneously. I'd take pretty much anybody, but nobody likes me.
>>
File: 1480278052618.jpg (25KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1480278052618.jpg
25KB, 480x480px
>>39031379
coming out of my cage & I been doing just fine. Gotta be down because I want it all.
>>
>>39031379
i like to write down my thoughts on a white board and some possible solutions next to it, and i use different markers, its actually very relieving. also, for anxiety i use valerian root tea. and usually multivitamins that contain b complex, vit d. calcium, etc really help with mood. the larger the pill the better.
>>
>>39032243
actually no, a gf would expect you to have a degree/job/money to buy her dinner. assuming she is not using you.
>>
>>39031379
Honestly for me anti-depressants made my life worse.
Took them for 10 years, and they honestly made me more depressed and caused waaay more problems than they solved.
Taking SSRI's I was MORE depressed, more suicidal, and was sick every single day for 10 years (like physically sick, vomiting once a day without fail after I'd had the meds).

I had 10 years on them, I took THEM ALL... Sertraline, Fluoxetine, Citalopram, Mirtazapine... I got put on 40mg of the strongest shit you can get and it never did anything other than make my life a misery.

I'm now 9 or 10 months off all meds, and my life has been restored completely.
I cry a lot now, but I like it... I actually feel feelings again... I feel happy and sad rather than being a robot that has fucking no feelings about living or dying.

I'm not gonna say don't ever take them.
What works for some might not work for others.
But my personal experience is I would never take another anti-depressant again no matter how low I feel... the bad points completely engulf the good points.
>>
Antidepressants only really work on people with severe depression. I've been on medication for twelve years and can say that it's helped, but it's no cure. Even with medication, exercise, good diet and social interaction my depression can still break through. Currently on 300 mg Effexor + 450 mg Wellbutrin XR
>>
>>39032494
I mean one of the girls doing the same thing I'm doing. I'm in school.
>>
>>39032570

Hey man congrats! This is an awesome post. I'm really happy for you that you got it together :)
>>
I take 5mg of escitalopram and have learned to deal with my shit just by trial and error with coping methods. At your point I would honestly try a psychedelic like shrooms at a moderately low dose or try marijuana. Take some probiotics becauseost of your seratonin is in your GI track. Have you tried or asked your therapist about electro-therapy ? Ask.
>>
>>39031379
Many idea friend.

Anon might I suggest lithium. If you are BP1 why has no one given you this? It is amazing for it. Neurontin and tripetal are ancient.

I think your anti-psycotics are not helping. They never helped me, just nerfed my drive and made me tired. They are basically dopamine antagonist but labeled for psychotic use. If you are schizo* or psychotic features with your mania, you might argue for going off them.

benzos work by helping your GABA system. As you said, you are ok and able to not overthink when not depressed. Benzos are able to clamp that down. Klonopin is heavy diuty though. Have you tried xanax at .5mg a day? That seems like a decent dose to try for long term.

It is not sad to only be ok when manic or on a benzo. That prooves your brain can work, something is just off. If I had to take a guess right now, I would say your GABA system is bad. You might make very little, or have way too many receptors. This would explain why as you get depressed, you overthink.

Also weed is not reccomended.

There is also much to say about your life goals, and how you feel about your life in general. Also research using ketamine for treatment resistant depression. A few sessions might help.
>>
>>39031379
Hey man I'm also playing Russian roulette with an orange pill bottle. What diets have you tried? I noticed an improvement during the AM while on a ketogenic diet.
>>
I think the biggest secret in the medical world today is that SSRIs are basically no more effective than a sugar pill and most of the good results from it come from a placebo effect.
>>
>>39034267
the euphoria i feel from Xanax isn't a placebo bruh
>>
>>39034286
Xanax is a benzo, not an ssri
>>
>>39031606
Is there even any problem with the mania? The mania feels fucking amazing
>>
>>39033651
>>39034286
>>39034306

OP here. My psychiatrist has me on shit pills and claims giving me benzos is the same as giving me alcohol every day.

She's full of it She even said "Depressants make you depressed" which a crock of shit

If I get a new psychiatrist and tell them that benzos work for me am I likely to get the script for it?

Also those Ketamine infusions sound like they could work, but I'm not sure my insurance will cover it
>>
Whats mania like? Ive always worried that my depression was part of something bigger. Too many similarities to bipolar for my comfort
>>
>>39034313
Mania is fine when you are 20-30. After that the episodes get harder and harder on you. It's like running a car super hard.
>>39034405
Tell new pdoc that in the past benzo has helped you with anxiety, hopelessness, etc. Let them know you watch your diet, meditate, etc. You're not just seeking pills. Let them know you have used klonpin but would prefer something not as harsh (it's a big time, long lasting benzo).

Insurance will likely not cover ketamine, no. Dont just buy street K its never pure enough for this purpose.

Benzos are habit forming and not something to take lightly. But if it does remove your depression it is a totlaly legit use.
>>
>>39034447

It's like being super charged. No anxiety, no depression, thoughts are rapid and fluid. I feel like it makes me a genius when it happens. I have no inabitions and can talk to anyone and bond with people, which makes me sad when it goes away because I am very shy socially and isolate myself.
>>
original special bump
>>
>>39031379
There is no cure. We were meant to suffer op

Original comment
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.