/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/uni/ General

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 20

File: 1486330778664.png (3KB, 374x400px) Image search: [Google]
1486330778664.png
3KB, 374x400px
Where does /r9k/ study? What do you think of your course?

Also, share your feels and any questions about uni life in general
>>
>>39028700
I'm fucking scared because I dropped engineering last year because of depression and I am not sure of I should study engineering again or something else
>>
>>39029169
Was the depression caused by the course itself or something else that was going on?
>>
>>39029205
Well the thing I don't really have a interest in anything so I always thought that I might as well go where I will at least find a good job.
Depression came from a mix of the boredom due to the different classes lasting 2 to 4 hours in a row and having no friends while everyone is talking about how great life in uni is.
Also I caught mononucleosis during the second week of exams so I failed most of them at that time
>>
I'm doing biochemistry and I'm so excited for 2nd year. I'll be living with friends, close to the uni and my illness will be under control.

I love the course, it's tough but very interesting, so I embrace the challenge. There's also a huge amount of lab work which suites me perfectly.
>>
>>39028700
I'm triple majoring in physics, chemistry, and biology. I'm also in an accelerated program to get my masters in mechanical engineering (I also plan on getting a masters in aeronautical engineering simultaneously)
>>
>>39029463
Doing lots of degrees sounds very hard, but not impressive. Like you're not achieving anything greater by just having lots of degrees.

It reminds me of the Pakistani kid who got 23 A-levels or something. He used shortcuts and studied to pass exams efficiently and learned nothing in the process.
>>
>>39029547
Not really doing a lot of degrees to be impressive, I'm doing them because I want to be kept busy enough that I don't have time to think about how miserable I am and how pointless life is. Combine that with being drunk or high constantly and you get a recipe for suppressing constant existential dread
>>
I'm sad because I'm going for a shit degree but it's the only thing I'm moderately interested in and I suck at math. I went to talk to a career counselor the other day and she almost started laughing when I told her the nation average starting pay is 50k and I asked if I could expect that in my major. I don't even want to be in college but everyone expects me to be and I sure as fuck don't want to be a low level wagecuck forever.
>>
>>39029373
>mononucleosis
>"haha kissing any GIIIIIIRRRLLLS anon?"
>>
File: Im-an-artis-I-can-use-paint.jpg (10KB, 480x476px) Image search: [Google]
Im-an-artis-I-can-use-paint.jpg
10KB, 480x476px
Starting my first year of Uni this Spetember in programming.
>>
Study law.

Glad that I'll be a lawyer some day, and make this planet a little better.
>>
>>39029706
I've got no fucking idea how I caught that. I wish it was by kissing a girl
>>
>>39029422
What's your illness anon, something physical or mental?
>>
File: 1500344074718.png (20KB, 102x101px) Image search: [Google]
1500344074718.png
20KB, 102x101px
>>39028700
>Where does /r9k/ study?
I'm about to re-attempt Uni from scratch at overseas in Spain at a Computer Science/Arts college, only doing this cuz got a scholarship because of my curriculum.

>What do you think of your course?
The course is called "Bachelor in Computer Science and Real-Time Interactive Simulations"; God I hate American titles. I just hope it's not a meme degree.

>share your feels and any questions about uni life in general
Feeling both uneasy and confident at the same time. I'm good at programming and shit, but re-attempting Uni after a huge fuck up is scary, I'm incredibly lucky I even got a second chance at all.
Also, from the looks of it most students there will be a bunch of dorks who want to MAKE VIDYA GAYMS, and if there are any females at all they'll be pretentious artfags with colored hair piercings everywhere.

This will be the first time I'll be 100% on my own away from mammy, pappy and my twin brother. I just want to talk about it with someone. Sorry for blog post.
>>
>>39029679
Quit now, stop wasting your parents money if you aren't ready and ignore them because they don't know what you want or what modern college is like. I wanted to take a gap year but listened to my parents and had a scholarship that paid for 80% of it, wasted my one chance of having college mostly paid for and was hanging out with my friends and getting fucked up all day and not going, dropped out first semester, now I'm 23 and making more money than my parents running a business and my friends who graduated are for the most part working jobs that you don't need a degree for, the only one who isn't is a studious engineer computer master who always put a lot of work into school and is passionate unlike you, the others are working for minimum wage or slightly above, ignore your parents and don't go, go when you feel ready if ever or find a different path in life
>>
>>39029769
Ulcerative colitis, if you've never heard of it it's like Crohn's disease but less severe. It started a week after I moved into uni halls.
>>
>>39028700
My last year was pretty shitty, but I feel pretty good about this upcoming semester (No English classes this time, thank fucking God)
>>
>>39029738
>>39029793
I wish the best for you guys but don't get your hopes up
>>
>>39029738
What's it like? Do you just read old court decisions all day?
>>
>>39029833
It's gonna come back if you start eating the food at college again
>>
how are your roommate assignments looking this year bots? i was stuck with a failed chad for most of last year until i got him kicked out for buying underaged girls alcohol
>>
File: 1447728335235.jpg (37KB, 400x362px) Image search: [Google]
1447728335235.jpg
37KB, 400x362px
Moving in on Thursday to a on-campus apartment. Any advice for a first year sperg?
>>
>>39028700
Communication and information science. It's pretty meh. Get a lot of business classes, but not enough information science classes, which are more important today. I've met a some really nice lads. I don't think this is my dream study but my grades are above average with minimal effort so I think I will just stick with this.
>>
>>39029829
I've thought about starting my own business a lot desu but idk. I'm kind of a lazy fuck. I've also thought about working for my dad's business because I could make a lot of money there but it's long grueling work. I'm only paying about 2.5k total for all college so it's not like I'm going into deep debt or anything it's just boring and shitty with meh job prospects.
>>
Any advice for someone just going to uni for the first time?
>>
>>39029871
>it's gonna come back
...It's only stopped because I'm on meds. Food doesn't cause this, and also I've been eating the same food home and at uni.
>>
>>39029738
>Glad that I'll be a lawyer some day, and make this planet a little better.

That was sarcasm right?
>>
>>39029925
1. Go hard or go home
2. Don't sperg out around people you live with
>>
File: 1nu1mm.jpg (11KB, 238x306px) Image search: [Google]
1nu1mm.jpg
11KB, 238x306px
>Fell for the community college meme
>Transferring to state uni later so I can major in theatre technology
It's definitely a meme degree, but most jobs require so much experience in the department that I doubt I could get one otherwise. Of course, understanding electrics and AV is required too, which I'm slightly worried about because I'm a dumbfuck.
>>
>>39029899
Don't be nervous and try to avoid meeting other people, keep in mind that most people don't know anyone on campus yet, so there's nothing wrong with starting a conversation with strangers.
>>
>>39029845
CSfag here. Hopes up to what?
>>
>>39029925
Don't be that person who leaves dirty dishes after meals and doesn't clean up, everyone will talk behind your back about you being a dick
>>
I go to a community college. Getting my Associate of Arts in English to help my chances of hopefully becoming an author later in life.

After I finished high school, I took a gap year because I hated school. Started college, going into my 3rd semester now. Still fucking hate it, I think about packing a bag and starting a new life every goddam day
>>
>>39029899
>starting a conversation with strangers
Do people just walk up to you and start talking? Honestly, I don't really talk unless I have something I actually want to say. Never been a fan of small talk.

Also do professors make you introduce yourself the first day? Like stand up and say your name. I'm going to a medium size school (~7000) and I've been dreading this.
>>
>>39030384
>Also do professors make you introduce yourself the first day?
You know lecture theatres have like 200 people in them? No, they won't do that. Even in small groups they wont do that.
>>
>>39030446
Not all my classes are going to be in theaters. I'll have a few in a standard classrooms because my major has relatively small number of people.
>>
>>39029882
Got an Indian guy and some other guy who's most likely white.
>>
>>39029547
>the Pakistani kid who got 23 A-levels
I've been debating whether to haul major ass and self study 3 A levels (math, physics, chemistry) before the final application deadline of April 21 (8 months) so I don't have to wait until 2019 to do a Mechanical Engineering course at university. At least I know it's possible now, that dude did it in 12 months. Hopefully I can put my NEET time to good use.
>>
>>39030514
Dude, you are not going to be asked to introduce yourself like you're in 4th grade.
>>
File: 1500347260049.gif (93KB, 314x319px) Image search: [Google]
1500347260049.gif
93KB, 314x319px
>>39030316
Don't give up, especially if you want to be an author.
I'm kind of in the same boat mate, keep at it.
>>
>>39030384
Well, talking to a stranger is like a blank canvas, you can't have a proper conversation until you get to know them - that's what small talk is for. There's not much to it, just start off with simple questions like "what are you studying?" or "are you from around here?" to get a better idea of who you're talking to. Do you both share an interest in something? Great! Ask more questions about that then. If you're having problems talking to a person, just excuse yourself and find someone else, chances are that they won't remember you if you've never met before.
>>
>>39029882
>3 guys
>all normies, no common interests among them all
>basically all the conversations we've had together have been summed up in the many "ITT what normies say that piss you off" threads we've had
>>
>>39029882
>roommate assignments
It's so ridiculous that Americans have to have roommates. How do you get anything done with someone in your room?
>>
Move out in a week. Dual majoring in math and Spanish. Visiting my college this summer I tried my hardest to start as many conversations as I could, especially with grills. After enduring some awkward talks I realized how much easier it was to make friends in a setting where everyone else is trying to make friends. Honestly I'm excited. I even had a qt who liked me when I visited, I know cause her friends told me.
>>
File: IMG_5714.gif (33KB, 219x180px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5714.gif
33KB, 219x180px
>>39028700
I don't know what I'm doing in Uni but I kinda want to do film or television and help create terrible television shows on the Food Network or something equally terrible.

Bad television isn't going away anytime soon, and I want in but don't know how to do it.
>>
I'm getting a degree in Film

I want to edit documentaries or anything really.
>>
>>39030948
>>39030958
Do either of you really need a degree to do what you want to do?
>>
>>39030557
Just making sure. My brother told me he had to.

>>39030612
Thanks, I'll try to use the "what are you studying" one.

Any advice for how to actually be a pleasant person to talk to / be around? I'm not nearly as bad as some of the anons here, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jaded.
>>
>Mathematics
It's not a great course. By the time I graduate I'll have taken 12 math classes, but only 3 I consider to have been worth taking. The other classes suffered from this common defect:
>mediocre or rambling lecturers (why pay $1000 for crappy lectures when an hour's research and <$100 will yield a lucid textbook from which you can learn at your own pace as interest dictates?)
>tutors are "there to help if you have any questions" but 90% of the time will tell you to work it out yourself, defeating the purpose of tutorials
>lecturer is either poor at explaining things (researcher saddled with teaching duties after failing to secure funding) or a condescending ass; neither of whom anyone would want to ask for help
I loath attending class and wish that there was a system in place like for foreign language studies or IT where you teach yourself then sit an examination that, if passed, certifies your knowledge in that area.
>>
>>39029845
Thanks.

>>39029855
That. Brief cases, extract legal rules, make logical inferences, and essentially apply the law to facts.

>>39029957
Lol. No, though I see your point. It's precisely because I believe in the unlikely that I made it this far.
>>
>>39031015
>My brother told me he had to.
Probably in front of his tutor group or something, so like 6 people at most. That's nothing, really.
>>
>>39030975
I really don't know, I know for a fact that I need experience but don't know how to get it besides make youtube videos like an autist.

How would I get the job without a degree? Walk into a studio with a firm handshake and ask for a job?
>>
>>39030559
I may switch to a certificate program for a trade. But I won't give up.
Hit up my throwaway [email protected] if you wanna swap stories and shit
>>
File: 1500367851469.png (305KB, 600x576px) Image search: [Google]
1500367851469.png
305KB, 600x576px
Give me a STEM major that I can take while working, please.
>>
File: hmm wojak.jpg (11KB, 236x253px) Image search: [Google]
hmm wojak.jpg
11KB, 236x253px
Band camp starts in less than a week, musicfaggots. Hope you got your audition materials down. Hope you're not gonna get C U T
>>
File: 1500890855187.png (639KB, 699x699px) Image search: [Google]
1500890855187.png
639KB, 699x699px
>tfw changed major for senior year after wasting my time depressed in a liberal arts degree
>slowly but surely got rid of the depression that crippled me since high school
>finally getting my life on track by starting to meet new people and get more sociable
>maybe I'll finally be able to leave this place eventually
>>
File: 1501997664980.jpg (279KB, 1114x1374px) Image search: [Google]
1501997664980.jpg
279KB, 1114x1374px
>>39028700
Should I go to a community college or just straight to my state uni?
>>
File: 1494369220920.jpg (20KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1494369220920.jpg
20KB, 500x281px
>move back into dorm today
>no air conditioning
>not allowed to have window units
>ten degrees hotter in the room than it is outside
>over the summer they got rid of the original windows on the building that opened up all the way and replaced them with ones that only open four inches
>I guess so people wouldn't off themselves by jumping
>exhausted as fuck, but can't fall asleep because it's fucking 85 degrees in the room with 51% humidity according to my digital thermometer

I literally cannot handle this.
>>
File: usf-bulls.png (21KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
usf-bulls.png
21KB, 1200x630px
>>39028700
anyone here going to usf? I made this thread >>39029929
>>
>>39031918
You are autism made flesh
>>
>>39030975
Not really

I'm volunteering at a local TV station and then try to network my way for a assistant editor position. I have a reel and all sorts
>>
Anyone at UVA, what's it like down there rn? Coming from a fellow ACC bro.
>>
Is anyone else from LSU here?
>>
>>39031588
see if the credits transfer if so then go to community college first.
>>
File: 1502053748996.jpg (495KB, 1305x1265px) Image search: [Google]
1502053748996.jpg
495KB, 1305x1265px
>3rd year of freshman courses
>>
>report due at end of semester
>meh fine i'll do it at the last moment like i always do
>end of semester rolls around
>report was actually a team project
>nobody ever got in contact with me
>report worth 20% of final grade
>mfw my grade is 89%
SDLFJSDF FUCK
>>
File: 1499144098040.jpg (44KB, 569x506px) Image search: [Google]
1499144098040.jpg
44KB, 569x506px
>>39032983
oh boy this is nightmare fuel. I-I can at least avoid the group projects my first year r-right?
>>
File: 1375926326666.png (290KB, 590x548px) Image search: [Google]
1375926326666.png
290KB, 590x548px
Is everyone in this thread an anti-social sperglord autist? The social scene in college is second to none. It was the sole reason I stayed a 5th year. I graduated 2 years ago;uni was the best 5 years of my life.

I can answer questions/give advice if you guys are rly that nervous about uni life.
>>
>>39033031
this is the first time i've had a group project go so terribly wrong. sometimes everyone contributes to the project, other times i've done the entire project myself, but either way group projects have never been a major problem for me. it feels like a perfect storm of bad things happened and now i'm fucked.
>>
>>39033131
kill yourself normalfag although I know you won't because you are a NORMALFAG
>>
>>39028700
study paramedicine. all the course work is hard but fun. a lot to know but very practical and dynamic which I like. wish sociology wasn't in the course ruining it for me and the sjw's in it. don't know why I need to know about how I'm a white male "oppressing" all the women and minorities when I could very well be the only one who can save them. can't see has its relivent when the cunts are in cardiac arrest or in an emergency situation too, but "progressive" learning. besides that pretty chill and really cool. it's good knowing more than the average dude and know you're able to do stuff.

don't know about anywhere else but where I go in Aus, there's no parties or frat houses so that meme doesn't exists for me. then again I sit up the back away and don't talk to anyone outside of my immediate group plus I'm on here. I just sit at home once I'm finished for the day until I have to go back.
>>
>>39032301
I know this feel. I'm taking a freshman level science course for my general education requirement.
>>
File: 1435238522784.png (568KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1435238522784.png
568KB, 960x720px
>>39033131
Get the fuck out normaIshit
>>
How do I no-bullshit honest to god get a girlfriend. I literally stare at girls and get caught. Im obsessed.
This is coming from a guy who has zero friends of facebook and looks like the Virgin from "virgin vs chad" meme. I'm not a complete sperg though from being forced to socialize at work. It's 3 weeks in and I know nobody.
>>
>>39033695
just date someone from this board. roasties are desperate as fuck.
>>
>become good friends with a girl for the first time in my life
>don't know how to escalate
>>
Going to be studying Artificial Intelligence in september, living with my brother and his girlfriend. Everything seems ok but I can't make myself look forward to it.
>>
File: ClubLeader.jpg (36KB, 328x372px) Image search: [Google]
ClubLeader.jpg
36KB, 328x372px
I have to write an appeal letter so they don't cut my financial aid, I told my advisor that I was going to get it in on July 27th.
Also, my academic advisor suggested that I may actually be autistic.
I will be living with my sister next year, though that's a mistake, I was thinking that I should just join ROTC for the free housing and shit, but I have no idea how I would cope in there, I don't even know what ROTC stands for let alone what they do.
Was trying for college a mistake?
>>
>>39029373
mono, you mean roastiepox chad
>>
>>39034003
It probably was a mistake. I'm not autistic at all and struggle even in the classes I'm interested in partly because they're hard for me (not everyone else though) and partly because I hate it and therefore am very lazy and procrastinate a lot.
>>
>>39034003
ROTC is reserved for people who have signed up for the military.
>>
Personally looking forward to being back on my campus, if only to see a few people again. I just want to eat the food, really. I get into a such a rut during the summers of being so unhealthy, that it's nice to go back to the shitty uni food and enjoy it without having to put any effort into it.
>>
>>39034097
I don't know how to quit.
Or how I would face my family after I do quit.
My third term was fine, pretty good.
But I fucked up bad in the first two and got an overall GPA of 1.9 missing the requirement of 2.0.
>>39034106
Well, at least I can forget about that.
>>
File: husbando still in fine form.jpg (75KB, 500x434px) Image search: [Google]
husbando still in fine form.jpg
75KB, 500x434px
Good:
>studying insects, stratigraphy, other subjects I love
>thesis course
>boating
>field trips
>lab specimens
>landlord is a super nice former professor
>field course, get to go camping
>best friend started school at my school
>sibling lives near by
>listening to Pearls Before Swine

Bad:
>I was treasurer last year for a student council, but my computer crashed and I stopped updating files.
>I offered the new treasurer help, but he didn't return my emails
>now I am working 10 hours a day at a university job
>and am leaving for a field course in ten days
>ie. I cannot help the treasurer out, but he just emailed me
>feel obligated to do something despite the fact that he had over a month to ask for it

>new house doesn't have a private kitchen, landlord keeps kosher and is hyper paranoid about my goying shit up there; using a hot plate
>no mummi to cook me tendies

>can't defer my payments because OSAP is taking forever to go through
>it has to go through online or I'm fucked
>like maybe the registrar will do it over the phone
>but if she needs me to show up in person I'm fucked because full time work / field course

>got elected to two student councils last year because no competition
>applying for a job, full time school, thesis
>i have no time
>will have to email one of them saying that I quit
>feel like a dick for doing so

>field course
>new people
>no place to hide if I get upset
>worried about autism

>oneitis is still fucking everywhere at school, have to interact with them
>tfw no bf

>>39034003
Have you not gotten it in? Fuck, get on that ASAP. Usually a week or two isn't bad because bureaucracy is slow, but you're really pushing your luck, dude.

As for autism, that'll help with the application, maybe even make advisor help you out. I'm autistic, too, why did they say that to you?

If you are autistic, evaluate your housing VERY carefully. Consider your stims, sensory processing, etc.

>mistake
Only if your heart isn't in it.
>>
>>39028700
Previous years, each student was responsible for setting up their own internet within their dorm, but from this year on, the college is providing it to everyone free of cost. While this may seem like an improvement, everything I do online can be traced back to me thanks to individual log-ins for the campus internet, necessitating the use of a vpn, and I won't be able to torrent my cartoons from the internet anymore without risking trouble.
Has anyone in similar situations found effective solutions to this kind of problem?
>>
>>39034223
Well the 27th thing was so my advisor could take a look at it what I had written down, but yes, I should get it in.
She mentioned autism because of how I would isolate myself after I've fucked something up in a class and would normally avoid others, but I don't think I've got it, it just made me feel weird when she said I could have it.
I'm not sure my hearts in it, so that probably means that it isn't in.
I'm good at classes I enjoy, but I can't stand the gen ed classes, they are what fucked me over.
I know what things I need to fix are, but I don't know how to fix them.
>>
>>39034385
If you have a VPN you can torrent as much as you please.
>>
>>39034412
That's good. I wasn't sure since I have never had to use one in the past. Thank you.
>>
I'm studying history and classical studies. I love the coursework and I'm happy as a pig in shit with the challenge. But I'm 32 and surrounded by a bunch of private college kids. They don't want anything to do with me so it's very lonely. It's like dying of thirst in the middle of an ocean. Fuck, I wish there was another school around here that taught Latin. I'm very tempted to move to the town 80 miles north because they have a public college with a Latin program and an established veteran community in the student body.
>>
>>39028700
UDLAP
>>
>>39028700
Studying economics in Washington

I fell pretty good about my course. The people in all the basket weaving programs make me feel better about my chances
>>
>3.3 GPA first year

is this awful? my major is MIS btw (management information systems)
>>
File: 1499995958318.png (255KB, 354x367px) Image search: [Google]
1499995958318.png
255KB, 354x367px
>>39033501
>>39033370
Hey there friendo, we can all get along.

College isn't only about developing your desired skill, it's about personal growth and character development. Go talk to the people living in the same wing/hallway of your dorm. Go talk to your classmates. I went out of state and that was the easiest ice breaker of my life since a significant portion of the other undergrads were too.

Srsly, college is the best 4-5 years of your life. Don't squander it you autists.

>>39033722
You already fucked up. She's your friend now though, she probably has other attractive friends. Go to parties with her, her friends will be there and you can use her to meet her friends.
>>
>>39035160
Well, I can tell you that if I had that I would lose scholarships
>>
Anyone else keep a crt in their dorm? People think I'm crazy, but I'll keep bringing it.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.