[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/r9k/, how many of you were /gt/? What was it like and was it

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: BlueGTlogo.jpg (141KB, 2303x1313px) Image search: [Google]
BlueGTlogo.jpg
141KB, 2303x1313px
/r9k/, how many of you were /gt/? What was it like and was it worth your time? Where are you now in life?

Reason I ask is, I have a son who will be getting into the program soon, and I'm curious about other people's school experiences.
>>
go to >>>/adv/ Norman
>>
Wow this is sad. So much for the "smart but lazy" robots that I've read about. I knew /r9k/ was full of LARPers.
>>
>>38926621
it means literally nothing

I got into it in 4th grade after getting a 99th percentile on the RAVEN.

Fast forward to now, and my IQ test came back with a result of 94, I shit you not. At least the field trips were fun. Also, I'm a NEET.
>>
>>38926621
Did nothing for me that I wouldn't have worked out on my own.
They teach some useful tricks but you can replicate things like mnemonic recall with a piece of paper and a pencil.
I voluntarily left so I could screw around in art class with my pals instead and really for someone like me, that sort of social development is so much more important.

Right now I'm a dropout grinding fitness to join up. I handled the material in college fine, I stopped attending class because of other problems.
>>
>>38926621
contrary to popular belief most people on r9k are. stupid as fuck
>>
>>38927417
Not everywhere had programs to take advantage of gifts and talents.
>>
>>38927439
How the hell do you end up with IQ that low and get into GT? In my state, you gotta have 130+ IQ score to even qualify. How did you become a NEET?

>>38927598
I'll keep in mind to keep encouraging my son that friendships are precious. He is kind of shy and afraid to make new friends, and it doesn't help that he daydreams, even on meds. He's got ADHD, but he really tries his best every day.

>>38927969
>stupid as fuck
Everybody makes stupid decisions at some point in their life, that doesn't make majority of /r9k/ by default absolutely hopeless. The autism is strong here though. I'm on the spectrum myself, but it's not severe.
>>
>>38926621
Recently graduated from the program. Been with it since middle school. Long story short, it's not worth it. Just make him take a bunch of AP's when he gets into HS, you will get the same results, and he will struggle less. By that I mean that GT schools usually give huge workloads to kids, so he will struggle in that aspect, but most GT kids grow up thinking that they're geniuses and that quickly changes by the time they reach high school and realize that they're essentially *just* above the status quo.
>>
It was nice. We solved fun logic puzzles and learned neat things. It's not all that special, but it beats sitting in a boring, regular class. I went on to go to prestigious universities and get a PhD.

But I also still spend my time here, so its a mixed bag.
>>
>>38926621
How old is your son? I got in when I was in 2nd grade. It was fun but I don't think I got much out of it that helped me later on. In later grades it affected me since I found myself with few friends within and outside of the program. Also I always got stressed since most of the shitheads in the program were almost always talking their mouths off and getting us all in deep shit. Many of them were normalfags who also created pointless social media drama.
>>
>>38928723
Also the faculty at most of my schools were not very understanding about us and incorrectly tried to correlate not talking a lot to being "gifted". So generally unless your son is social I would not really recommend GT
>>
File: IMG_5944.png (324KB, 1024x429px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5944.png
324KB, 1024x429px
>>38929054
In my state, past elementary school, it just dictated what classes you could take. It was nothing special.
>>
>>38926621
I was told i was part of this at the end of 4th grade, it never came up after that and now I'm failing
oh well
>>
>>38926621
It was underfunded and a huge waste of time. Mostly we just fucked around on the internet while the teacher fucked around at her desk doing who knows what.
>>
>>38926621
I was tested for something like this and apparently I made it but they didn't want me because behavioral issues. I dropped out in high school so maybe I didn't actually pass.
>>
>>38926621
Former gifted student finishing up my PhD here. I grew up in a small town, so my experience may not be typical. I was pretty much the only one in my year, so it just meant skipping a grade of elementary school and a bunch of math classes, and taking some enrichment classes online and over the summer. The summer courses (JHU-CTY anyone?) were great because I was surrounded by people like me. If your school has a dedicated gifted program, there may be enough people to fill that need for him.

It's hard to say how it affected me since I don't have a control, but I'd say it definitely helped me academically. I felt confident seeking out new challenges and adapting to them. Otherwise it was mixed. I felt validated by academic success, and so I didn't pursue other aspects of life as much. I didn't get a job, car, or gf (don't reee, still a virgin) until college. I was physically underdeveloped compared to my peers, and I didn't try to compete in sports at all. If you go for it, don't let him get too invested in academic success. It doesn't last forever, and it isn't always rewarded outside academia.
>>
Hey OP, I was in a gifted/talented program since I was in kindergarten, and I go to an Ivy League school. I guess that this is proof that it works on occasion, but so many of the kids from gifted classes as a kid are strung out on drugs, working at McDick's, are pregnant at 19, etc. And, a lot of kids that weren't in the program are on track to be top tier successful

Being in gifted helps, but your kid is going to have to put a lot of work in if he wants to make it
>>
>>38929258
>>38929293 here. The Duke TIP program was a huge deal for me, and it helped me develop socially and academically in ways that the normal public school experience couldn't provide.

OP, look into Duke TIP and Johns Hopkins CTY when your kid gets to middle school age
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.