[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tyler Durden

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 21413.jpg (88KB, 650x414px) Image search: [Google]
21413.jpg
88KB, 650x414px
>We are a generation of men raised by women. I'm wondering if it's really another woman we need.

>We are a generation without weight in history. No purpose or place. We do not have a world war. We have no great depression. Our war is spiritual. Our Depression is our lives.

Why don't you follow his teachings robots?
>>
Cuz he's a non-existant nigger who goes around fighting people and displaying niggerish behavior at his jobs.

That shit won't help you in real life.
>>
>>38821599
The entire book was a critique of dumb, edgy manchildren written by a gay guy.
If you took it seriously, you're the one being laughed at. The joke went over your head.
>>
>>38821690

You're the one who's mistaken. All the 'edgy' philosophy about wageslavery and so on (it's only 'edgy' to you because you aparently buy into a very passive, mindless normality that even most normies wouldn't buy into) was brought up seriously by the author, they're aired as legitimate grievances and so on, the story is about psychologically integrating awareness of these grievances and trying to lead a more authentic life, without necessarily trying to become the image of hypermasculine perfection and individuality personified by Tyler (or an underwear model).

People like OP are generally capable of understanding this nuance to the film/book, but apparently it went over your head.
>>
>>38821765
Finally someone who agrees with my views of this book. Everytime I bring it up it's just
>Haha ur such an edgelord.
And it pisses me off
>>
>>38821599
Because it's a shitty movie not even worth of being called pseudo intellectual.
>>
>>38821819
What movies do you like then?

Pertinent original
>>
In college I was part of a group that really took after this movie, we would go around doing stupid destructive shit on campus and the surrounding town in the name of humor. I won't lie, some of the stuff we did was pretty funny. But then we started planning some really serious stuff, and the guy who basically spearheaded the whole thing got arrested for some unrelated shit. We all got spooked and disbanded for good. I still talk to some of those guys though.
>>
>>38821863
Shrek 2
>>
>>38821765
>(it's only 'edgy' to you because you aparently buy into a very passive, mindless normality that even most normies wouldn't buy into)
No, it's edgy to me because it's more shallow than people who haven't reached past the mental age of 14 seem to realize.
>psychologically integrating awareness of these grievances and trying to lead a more authentic life, without necessarily trying to become the image of hypermasculine perfection and individuality personified by Tyler (or an underwear model).
If this were the case, there wouldn't be so many brainlets worshiping Tyler Durden's image precisely and going on about "following his teachings" like OP. That's why actual fight clubs ended up getting created as a result. People didn't "get" it, they just thought "I know these feels >:(" and ignored everything else. Hence why I said the joke goes over your head.
Just because the book touches on relatable themes doesn't mean it's not packaged in a way that's satirical to a certain breed of individual who happens to be up his own ass and blissfully unaware.
>>
>>38821765
Tyler is a terrorist who think is the world should exist in only how he sees it. Since he isn't happy in his life of wageslaving. It must mean that no one else will be.
>>
>>38821599
Because the 90's are over and I'm not a spoiled edgelord hunting for a "purpose". I'm content to exist and appreciate the ride as it comes.
>>
i always thought fight club was about finding the middle ground between living without a purpose and a purpose that is toxic
>>
Why do losers always follow the villians of films?
>>
>>38822037
I wouldn't call Tyler the villain. I think society is the villain in that story. Like the anon said earlier in the thread, all of the grievances brought up by Tyler are valid. The movie just explores what might be considered an unhealthy way of dealing with them.
although for me at least, there's a strange attraction in that level of destructive nihilism
>>
File: 1465772700828.jpg (165KB, 862x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1465772700828.jpg
165KB, 862x1000px
>>38822037
>being the "villain" invalidates all your ideas
>conflict determines who's right
>>
>>38822070
>I wouldn't call Tyler the villain.

He's the antagonist of the film.

>Like the anon said earlier in the thread, all of the grievances brought up by Tyler are valid.

Maybe if you are some marxism fag.
>>
>>38821936

>shallow

That's a very subjective qualification. Is it shallow to subtly criticise the culture which promotes single motherhood? The movie is from the 90's but even today it's rare to have any type of move or even book openly comment on this, or on the plight of males ground up by corporate life. What's an example of a non shallow critique??

>If this were the case...

The whole point of Tyler is that he's the protagonists' fantasy of what he would be as an ideal man. The book/film criticises this ideal as unattainable and unhealthy, both with respect to the image men have foisted on them by the media but also from PUA types and cult leaders, self help gurus, etc.

>real fight clubs

So a bunch of 15 years didn't get he movie and acted like retards?? So?

>Satire

It's not satire, it's not making fun of those men. It's seriously dealing with the lack of male leadership and men's desire to find it, and the reality that they often find it in the wrong places, etc. That the opposite of the consumer slave isn't necessarily a good thing either.
>>
File: image (1).jpg (24KB, 827x616px) Image search: [Google]
image (1).jpg
24KB, 827x616px
>>38822135
Tyler's complaint wasn't necessarily with capitalism itself, but more with the materialistic consequences that we've felt in the last several decades. But if you think that the feminization of western men is a good thing, then we probably won't have a very productive discussion.
>>
>>38822135
Tyler isn't a villian he's an anti hero without Tyler the protagonist never comes to terms with society.
>>
>>38822176
>What's an example of a non shallow critique??
It seems you misread my post. The critique itself was not shallow, but it made fun of shallow people who would go on to read the book and watch the movie, not understanding they were being memed all over.
>So a bunch of 15 years didn't get he movie and acted like retards?? So?
They and OP are the ones being made fun of. The joke went over their head. This is all I've said up til this point, which you don't seem to have fully grasped.
>It's not satire, it's not making fun of those men
Satire is a genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, corporations, and society itself, into improvement.
How does Fight Club *not* do this in its critique of both society, and the existence of Durden as an antagonist of the piece who ultimately leads things down a destructive path?
>>
>>38822037
>Stalin was a loser
>Gengis Khan was a loser
>George Soros is a loser

Protip: IRL the badguys usually win
>>
>>38822188
>you think that the feminization of western men is a good thing,
You do know you are talking about movie where one guys beats up another guy for getting attention from his male friends. This movie had loads of gay undertones.
>>
theres nothing wrong with actual fight clubs, it's the same as street fights or slapboxing or sparring at the gym, it became wrong once it turned into a cult
>>
>>38822248

My final response to you as I suspect you might be on the spectrum and I don't want to derail a thread repeating the same points.

The movie does not ridicule or shame anyone. There's some humour in the way characters are depicted, and many of Tyler's followers are shown as sheepish and even mindless, but this is explicitly referenced by the protagonist when he expresses fear and hate for those people for acting this way and for threatening his pseudo-father/son relationship with Tyler. It's not satire and it's not making fun of people. It's certainly not making fun of people who believe many of the hints Tyler says, and the author has touched on these issues in interviews and other writing.

You're the one who doesn't seem to get it. The philosophy is expressed in a consciously 'edgy' way not to make fun of anyone but because much of these points are argued by people in an 'edgy' tone. It's conscious of this but it's not mocking anyone.
>>
>>38822431
It looks like you don't understand what satire means, and are determined to gloss over the fact that the edginess of Tyler's character was a very direct joke on those who espouse his beliefs (however legitimate they may be as issues with society).
>it's not mocking anyone.
Nothing in the book indicates that. In fact, you acknowledge that Tyler's followers are shown as mindless and childish, but you still hold true that they're somehow not being mocked, probably because you relate to them and it'd make you feel embarrassed to acknowledge it.
This was pretty fruitless, and I don't know why you started this in the first place or why I even bothered engaging with you. Have a nice day.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEeSPc5oTcM

Already do. The thing with the timeline we're living in is that the bad guys won the war. Hitler wanted to elevate people to something greater, Stalin and Churchill wanted to subserve people. Materialism and the current societies we live in are rotten to the core and we'll never amount to anything until they collapse and are hopefully replaced by brighter ones.
>>
>>38821672
Destroying credit card companies would give thousands of people a new lease on life though, it worked on Mr. Robot....sort of.
>>
>>38823705
Fight Club isn't about building a better world, it's about living in the ruins of this one. A bunch of angry men checking out and taking everything down with them.
They would be closer to the jew, destroyer of worlds, than fascists, upholders of order and culture
>>
>>38821874 u guys could've saved from our current situation but u pussied out !
>>
>>38821765
Wow man it's like a huge part of the film went over you're entire head.
>Woosh.
Sounded like that right?
When the guys in the film became "non conformist" to regular society they started conforming even harder to the cult with even LESS critical thinking skills doing increasingly risky and destructive things when ordered to.

The real interesting thing about fight club is that it was purposely intended to be disturbing, while the real disturbing thing is how much of a chord it struck with most people since I Am Jack's Narrator was a crazy person, and most of the guys in the story were complete tools/cronies.
>>
>>38822176
>It's seriously dealing with the lack of male leadership and men's desire to find it, and the reality that they often find it in the wrong places,
This is why biker gangs and street gangs are still around even after all those DEA busts.
>>
>not realizing there are actual fight clubs popping up all over the western world
>full of lost young men who've realized what the problems are, and are taking direct action against them

https://youtu.be/h47q1dOGEoU
>>
File: WIN_20170724_22_24_05_Pro.jpg (36KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20170724_22_24_05_Pro.jpg
36KB, 640x360px
>>38826345
>wearing a mask.
No im good.
>>
It was cool at 14, relatable at 24, stupid at 32
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.