[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do you think you are okay?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: distorted thinking.jpg (222KB, 678x960px) Image search: [Google]
distorted thinking.jpg
222KB, 678x960px
do you think you are okay?
>>
>>38787684
Guilty of the "being right" one but that's it.
>>
>>38787684
What is there left then?
>>
>>38787684
Rational anticipation and planning are distorted thinking, yes my cattle, unburden yourselves.
>>
>>38787684
Haha the one about how having a set of standards and holding yourself and others to them is distorted.

Holy shit op where did you find this
>>
>>38787684
>Mind reading
Is that distorted? I thought it was normal to read people
>>
This image a poorly concealed plea to abandon critical thinking and it's pretty funny.
>>
>>38787907
i get the impression the creator is a woman who doesnt like being judged for being moody.
>>
I'm glad normals are there to tell me the "right" and "wrong" way of thinking.
>>
File: 1496868511839.png (124KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
1496868511839.png
124KB, 500x300px
>that description for Should
>HAVING STANDARDS THAT YOU HOLD YOURSELF AND OTHERS TO IS DISTORTED THINKING!!!!
>>
>>38788146

Expecting people to adhere to your own made up rules and then sperging out when people don't follow them is indeed a mental problem.

You can't control others actions. Expecting people to follow your rules blindly is narcissism.
>>
File: 1496018032123.jpg (56KB, 583x435px) Image search: [Google]
1496018032123.jpg
56KB, 583x435px
>>38787684
>Don't blame everyone for your problems
>Don't blame yourself for your problems
>>
>>38788526
Determinism baby

Blame the big bang
>>
>>38788394
I like how you use that emotional language to make it seem irrational.
>Sperg out
>Anger
>Guilt

What if you'd just prefer not to tolerate it eh?
>>
>>38788679

Then you have two options

Violence, or move away from what you disapprove it.

We both know you won't do either.
>>
>>38788778
I have a much wider range of options available to me than those two.
You're immensely intellectually dishonest.
>>
>>38788819

List your options then. I'm sure you have so many.
>>
>>38787684
>filtering
Of course that i will look at the negative parts of a situation, how am i supposed to improve if i don't even know what am i doing wrong?
>Overgeneraliation
I do this sometimes, but i quickly realise what i'm doing and fix it
>Castastrophizing
Of course that i will start thinking "what if"s if i see that shit can go south, if i don't think about what can go wrong, i can't plan ahead.
>Should
I do have a lot of unspoken rules for myself, but i don't try to force them into others, people can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't affect me in a negative way. Also, I obviously feel guilty if i violate some of my rules, it's literally breaking a promise that you did to yourself, you're not disappointing someone else, you're disappointing yourself.
>Emotional Reasoing
I don't believe that just because i feel something, it automatically becomes real, but i do think that if i'm feeling/thinking in a certain way it's because there's a reason behind it
>Being Right
This is just silly, of course that i'm gonna think that what i'm saying is right until someone proves to me that i'm wrong, this is fucking base of debating. At the end of the day, the most important thing is the truth, it doesn't matter from where it comes or if it hurts someone's feelings.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2l4Q6OJQ0M
>>
I am a generalizing polarized thinker.
>>
>>38789120
Real example for you because you're somewhat of a polar and rigid thinker.

At my job, a guy who takes over from me is constantly late because he takes the bus. One week he asks me to sign the book at a time different to the one that would be correct.
I say to him, sign whatever you like, but I refuse to falsify anything in that book. He looks unhappy about it, but we're still friends to this day.

Was I violent and did I leave? Can you think of other options I had that didn't compromise my personal standard of refusing to falsify information?
>>
>>38789446

You were passive aggressive which is just a pussified version of violence.
>>
>>38789469
Pot meet kettle.
Amazingly this isn't an original comment.
>>
>>38787684

Why do we always blame the individual for being an outcast and never family or society?
>>
File: 1501361256328.gif (38KB, 165x115px) Image search: [Google]
1501361256328.gif
38KB, 165x115px
>tfw they all fit me
Jesus christ I'm a fucking wreck.
>>
>>38789546

If an individual wants to be accepted by society it only makes sense that they follow the rules and expectations of said society.
>>
>>38789604
Note there's no mention of confirmation bias, the most common mental aberration we experience daily.

Don't hold this image on too high a regard.
>>
Catastrophizing is a very good thing, some experts think it lead to human consciousness and self-awareness.
Thinking about what might be behind that bush, or what might happen if I steal ug's rock might be what gave homo erectus the ability to survive and evolve to be the dominant being of the planet.
I would argue that if you don't imagine negative 'what-if' scenarios reasonably often, your brain isnt functioning properly
Tl;dr your image either applies to non-humans or it was made by someone who thinks they're a psychologist
>>
>>38787684
so uh, what does it mean if you're guilty of every single one of these?
>>
>>38790339
Yeah but there's degrees of catastrophe.
>I might die
>I might stub my toe
One of these is very severe and very important to avoid, the other not so much.
>I might stub my toe, have it get infected, then die
Is the usual form of statement we associate with catastrophizing.
>>
>>38790494
You're an emotional thinkers worst enemy.
>>
>>38790502
Your brain isn't powerful enough to seperate the two by importance, you have to consciously seperate the important from the inane
You can't have one without the other, it's biology
>>
>>38790510
that doesn't sound so bad
>>
>>38790562
Elaborate.
Why isn't my brain powerful enough to discard nonessential information.
And why is it biological to need to consider the inane and important in parallel.
>>
>>38790642
I don't think anyone could answer your first question with absolute certainty, but it's my understanding that because literally anything can be seemingly important but actually inane, or seemingly inane but actually important that through evolution our brains opened up the floodgates and allowed all possibilities instead of select ones like animals do.
For instance a zebra isnt afraid of a sleeping lion, because the lion isn't a hunting lion, it's the sleeping kind and the sleeping kind can't kill you
A human however would see that sleeping lion and know that the sleeping lion and the hunting lion are the same thing in two different states because of their ability to reason and imagine these possible outcomes. 'The lion could either be dead or sleeping and eat me, I'll stay away from him'
>>
>>38787684
>tfw to intelligent the meme
Wow you're so enlightened OP please eat plates of shit
>>
File: virgin vote.jpg (87KB, 768x960px) Image search: [Google]
virgin vote.jpg
87KB, 768x960px
>>38787684
literally me except I know there won't be a reward.
Probably a bullshit list meant to capitalize on how most people think/act so they feel insecure.
>>
>>38787684
I'm a mind reader, this pic is just a psy-op to try to convince people like me we don't have a gift. You jews aren't as smart as you think you are.
>>
>>38787684
Filtering because my parents have taught me to never depend on the good aspects to last, i.e. always minimize the downside.
>>
>>38790789
I disagree.
Also this analogy is horrendous. Zebras are afraid of lion piss and lion shaped shadows.
Fear is faster than rational thought. It makes its home in the amygdala, the part of the brain we inherited from lizards.

You actually have it backwards. A person may see a sleeping lion and choose to ignore it because it is asleep and may not wake. A zebra would flee in terror.

In both cases there's no inability to process information separately, no necessity to consider things in parallel.
I still fail to see your initial point.
>>
>>38787684
I have had a lot of these thoughts, but I also try to recognize them in myself. Always liked Socratic ignorance, that being wise is to be able to know that you do not know everything and that you are biased and have natural weaknesses. If I recognize my own bias then its easier to be less biased, although I do think its hard work since you have to ask questions about what you believe that are uncomfortable and unsettling.
>>
>>38787684
Mind reading and control fallacies except control fallacies aren't fallacies at all. You'd have to be a moron not to believe in fate. It's also possible to read people and understand their intentions and motivations although I agree most people who think they can do this are in fact just projecting their own feelings onto others.

In the end I'm not delusional, I'm just not able to control myself. I acknowledge my failings honestly and don't delude myself to preserve my ego, nor do I tear myself down. i simply acknowledge reality to the best of my ability.
>>
>>38787684
>teehee something is bad because a group of people said it is
No thanks, op. You keep on letting normies define what is bad and good for you though.
>>
>>38787684
there is literally nothing wrong with Should
>>
>>38787783
Mostly thoughts that earn someone else money.
>>
>>38791037
From my understanding of some of the current physics theories regarding things like quantum mechanics, fate doesn't really exist. Like Heisenberg's uncertainty principle which isn't describing uncertainty for the observer so much as uncertainty for the system itself. Or quantum computers which operate on a probabilistic basis since due to quantum superposition a qubit is both a 1 and 0 simultaneously and only condense down to a single instance when we try to observe it.
>>
>>38791037
It's how your brain understands the world. The problem with OP's pic(which I've seen personally used in mental health centers) is that it tries to characterize all negative or unpleasant thoughts into patterns which could easily be attributed to positive things as well. People think in all those ways about everything, good and bad associations for all of them. The best you can do is be aware that your mind is constantly doing this.
This is also why "racism" etc. is so popular on 4chan. The mind loves stereotypes because they give it a way to predict what to be afraid of. The problem is that negativity is always a downward spiral. The more you feed it, the more it becomes you, and the harder it is to hold onto positive or enjoyable thinking because your mind is cluttered with thoughts about fear, hatred, dislike, and rage.
Since your mind can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality on the subconscious level, thinking that you are in trouble or thinking about bad things actually makes you believe you are in a terrible situation. This is why 4chan in general is negative, lots of young people not getting laid and lots of old people who want to talk about their topic of choice and nothing else because it's the only thing that lets them escape themselves.
>>38790950
I think your original point was "catastrophizing is a good thing", comparing it to imagination. There's no need to be thinking about being afraid to imagine things. Often the toll of imagining fearful events can easily lead to overreaction instead of undereaction. There's no way to tell what amount of fear is good when, because all that really matters is if you fuck up and make the wrong call at the wrong time, and just once is enough to matter for the rest of your life. But what kind of life is it to always be worried about everything going to shit?
There's no easy answer.
>>
>>38791152
You shouldn't have written that post.
>>
>>38791444
Taking steps to prevent obvious risks is very much a good thing.
Catastrophizing irrationally is very much a bad thing and easy to avoid, which I pointed out. The explaination I received was very dissatisfactory and I'm still waiting for an explanation I can understand.
If you're suggesting that my example of fearing death from a stubbed toe is anything but insane, I can't agree.
>>
>>38787684
>personalization.

None of these are distorted thinking.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.