[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wonder what the meaning is when two people pass each other

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: anime-girl-thinking.jpg (8KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
anime-girl-thinking.jpg
8KB, 300x168px
I wonder what the meaning is when two people pass each other on the street and one of them bows their head.

I think it's a sign of a weak or submissive person.
>>
>>38679666
It literally is. People who are miserable/neurotic can't stand the micro-confrontation and look away.
source: have been on both sides of this
>>
It's a sign of deference used to indicate that you are not a threat or have something mentally wrong with you, it is a submission, but think of it more like "submitting" your password to a website so the website knows you're a valid user

>>38679698

Yeah, basically, no reason to look down on people though, you don't know their life.
>>
>>38679666
It's a greeting where you don't have to say anything and make small talk like a fucking woman.
Also, nice Satanic trips.
>>
Not necessarily

I don't make eye contact because I don't want to do the stupid fucking smiling and nodding gestures. I'm not friendly, gtfo of my way
>>
File: 1500891938223.png (53KB, 156x168px) Image search: [Google]
1500891938223.png
53KB, 156x168px
>>38680165
This. These fucking spergs here theorizing what it means like a bunch of fucking nerds when it quite literally just means they're acknowledging you silently.
Any thoughts of submissive or weaknesses from it is coming from your demented and lower self-esteem raddled head
>>
File: 1498791429605.jpg (66KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1498791429605.jpg
66KB, 1280x720px
>>38680216
This

I'm a turbo-autist with an IQ of 200 and even I know/do this without thinking about it. It's just natural desu.
>>
>>38680172
Nobody smiles and nods at strangers in the street, this isn't the 1950s.
>>
File: 432.jpg (88KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
432.jpg
88KB, 500x800px
>>38680216
It's not acknowledgement, it's deference. They look meek and oppressed. They literally didn't have the soul wattage to hold my gaze.
>>
Here in Liverpool it's called "letting on", it is a way acknowledging someone you know if you are in a situation where you can't or don't necessarily feel like talking to them. People also do it out on the street if you both have been making eye contact too long to show they have not been giving you a shitty look or staring you down.
>>
File: 1488302808195.png (26KB, 723x567px) Image search: [Google]
1488302808195.png
26KB, 723x567px
>>38680216
>Any thoughts of submissive or weaknesses from it is coming from your demented and lower self-esteem raddled head
Good job proving my point, bucko. Be sure to double up on the crazy pills too.
>>
>>38679666
Bowing your head is polite, a greeting and a sign of recognition
>Oh there goes Frank, haven't seen him in years *nods his head in a small bow to Frank*
>*Frank sees you doing the nod bow and returns the gesture*
>You both go on with your lives but you exchanged a small social interaction through the act of nod bow, should you meet Frank later you may bring it up in a conversation "Oh hi Frank i haven't seen you in a while, i think last time we saw was in front of store X by the street X and X"
>"Oh yeah i remember that"
It's a sign of ignorance / niggerdom to see acts of politeness as sign of weak / submissive person
And that's why niggers go to jail 24/7
>>
>>38680445
We're not talking about a nod between acquaintances. Completely different dynamic.
>>
I've been trying to force myself into staring contests with people to get used to looking people in the eyes. How do normalfags do this?
>>
>>38680471
Kind of strange to nod at strangers unless you have a same shirt or some same features that you share, unless someone opens a door for me, gives me space so i can pass or does any small act of politeness to me i don't see a reason to nod bow at them
>>
>>38680488
By not being self loathing psychopaths, it is natural for people to be able to look others in the eyes, it is sign of low self esteem / autism / dishonesty etc to be unable to look others in the eye
>>
>>38680502
>unless you have a same shirt or some same features that you share
does skin color count
>>
>>38680502
You don't look at them in the eyes, just at the point of their nose or upper lip.
that way you don't really focus on them that much and get nervous, and to anyone else it'll look like you're staring at their eyes and not their nose or lip.

best advice I got, I can finally confront people without turning my eyes to a blank wall and talk to them.
>>
>>38680568
Very much yes, any form of tribal connection to the other person is a reason enough to nod bow at them if they seem like "a good person"
>>
OP here

I didn't mean a nod, I know what nodding is for. I'm talking about people who look at the ground when you pass each other.
>>
>>38680648
I look at the ground everywhere I walk though.
>>
>>38680648
Well that is just social anxiety and panic attack kind of thing, i used to have rapid shallow breathing and heart beat issues when in crowded places, it helped to look down to ground yourself by describing stuff you saw on the ground to yourself in your head
>>
>>38681341
Maybe sometimes but 90% of women do it from what I've seen
>>
>>38681670
Might be that you look intimidating
>>
>>38681974
I've been told I do, my eyebrows are angled in a way that it looks like I'm always angry. I thought my autism walk cancelled out any intimidation though.
>>
>>38679666
Culturally sensitive, in Japan it's just polite to defer to whoever, in America, you only defer to your superiors, and even then head bowing is weird and seen as weak even for an employee.

Or a slight head bob might be mistaken for a bow, when it;s just an acknowledgement of someones presence

Don't read to much into it, I'm soft spoken, stutter sometimes, and generally goofy and not on purpose, but I'm also a mean cunt who assault you with moderate provocation.
>>
>>38679698
Guy was mean mugging me a while ago, I just stuck my tongue out and twisted my face, he stopped immediately and I imagine felt stupid for trying to be confrontational in a waiting room lol
>>
>>38680355
You might have to post an example, I've never seen anyone literally jsut hang their head in submission, but a slight downward nod, or "bow' is generally just acknowledgement, and yes, a bit of deference, but not in a submissive way, a polite deference, sort of when you let a pedestrian cross the street first, it's' not cause he;s your boss, just polite.
>>
>>38680514
The whole eye thing has been proven false, being able to make direct eye contact actually is more conducive to lying, as it gives the false impression of honesty.
>>
>>38680648
Shouldve read thread first, now I feel stupid, yes hanging your head low constantly is a sign of someone who is timid, I'd know, I did this all the time back in HS
>>
>>38679666
They just recognize your wizard status and give you the appropriate respect.
>>
File: tea girl.png (158KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tea girl.png
158KB, 500x500px
>>38679666
it's just a nod to acknowledge the other person, nothing much really
>>
>>38682339
Perception is vastly more important than reality.
>>
>>38680172

Well it depends on how extreme the example is.
If your walking with your head down like some Japanese inferior womenslave then yeah. But I just try to look at some scenery or at my phone, people like to start dumb ass conversations about current events and trendy shit
>>
>>38680355
If someone were to look at me continuously in a non friendly way I'd probably ask them what the fuck their looking at, hopefully start a fight and let out some of this pent up anger. I really want to fight someone
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.