[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HOW DO NORMIES READ THIS BOOK IT'S SO LONG AND BORING. I

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 662.jpg (57KB, 300x451px) Image search: [Google]
662.jpg
57KB, 300x451px
HOW DO NORMIES READ THIS BOOK IT'S SO LONG AND BORING. I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT AT ALL.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>38534454
>normies read Atlas Shrugged

come back when you've sorted yourself out bucko
>>
File: ulysses.jpg (147KB, 400x491px) Image search: [Google]
ulysses.jpg
147KB, 400x491px
Become a real patrician OP. Read this shit.
>>
>>38534454
>normie
Only edgy teens read that crap
>>
>>38534554
Teenagers don't read books these days. Young adults maybe.
>>
>>38534454
>flick to a random page
>extremely detailed description of trains and how the railways run on time

was this bitch autistic or what
>>
>>38534454
very, very few people have actually read atlas shrugged all the way through, with comprehension of it

none of them normies
>>
"life you either loath it or ignore it. You can't like it"
>>
Read it to so I could know what it was. 2000+ pages consisting of 50% shitty romance, 50% autistic ancap autofellatio.
>>
>>38534454
They don't.
>>38534554
Teenagers nowadays haven't read a single book in their lives.
>>
Do Androids dream of electric sheep?1
>>
>>38534454

is not meant to be read, it's a meme
>>
I remember enjoying parts of it although I did skim a lot of THE SPEECH section.
>>
Old man and the sea is an honest read
>>
>>38534546
Read Finnegans Wake before you pretend to be a patrician just by mentioning Joyce, newfag
>>
>>38535028
The speech was the best part though.
>>
>>38534454

I don't understand why people read anything other than philosophy or non-fiction.

If I want to entertain myself with a story I'll watch anime or a movie.
If I want to raise my level of erudition and understanding of the human condition, I'll read history or philosophy.
And if I want to experience the emotional power of the written word then I might read some poetry.

Fiction books seem like an inefficient mix of all three (I guess with some exceptions like Asimov and other science fiction classics).
Otherwise when I read fiction, I often think to myself: these xxx pages of narrative with its irrelevant supplementary digressions, descriptions and dialogues could be condensed down into maybe 10-20 pages of the writer's direct exposition on his views of the world.
>>
>>38534586
This. There's way too much detail, not enough plot.
>>
>>38535427
Just listen to the audio book then. Fast forward through the descriptive and boring parts.
>>
>>38535389
You should try reading some books that are actually good
>>
>>38535389
As a former fiction fan turned non-fiction and history exclusive reader I agree with your general sentiment there. Fiction became boring for me at some point as I either found it to be too predictable or author played cheap in order to make it less predictable. I felt more like I was playing the role of editor when reading fiction towards the end, not drawn in to the story and more thinking 'well, this could have been better if it was structured differently' and so on. Not to say I think I know a damned thing about writing fiction. The point is I couldn't get involved in the stories in the way I used to.

Fortunately non-fiction can be very entertaining, particularly so when you have historical accounts based on journal entries of the people involved. Or court transcripts. And often forensic examination of the events years, sometimes hundreds or thousands of years, after the fact. Just recently I got drawn in to the Franklin expedition and larger story of the search for a viable route and reliable northwest passage route. Great drama there for a variety of reasons. HMS Terror was finally found just this past year.
>>
>>38535515

Oh I'd fucking love to. If only I knew where to look.
The last books I've tried to read have been "classics" and I dropped them all at exactly halfway: Catch-22 (the humor got stale and predictable), Great Expectations (didn't engage me enough to make me care what was going to happen next).
Books that I have finished in recent memory (I mean like the last 6-7 years): Dostoevsky's "Humiliated and Insulted" (It had a qt loli) and "Crime and Punishment" (enthralling psychology), Dickens' "Hard Times" (good pacing and short), Viktor Pelevin's "Generation P" (absolutely amazing, best book I've ever read probably, perfect humour and consistent, fresh interplay of ideas), Trainspotting (balance of realism and graphic grittiness), 'Of mice and Men" by Steinbeck (short enough with good pacing and colorful characters), Asimov's Robot visions.

I picked up Andrey Platonov's "Chevengur" at one point and was really impressed with the vibrant, colorful writing style; might continue.
Tried picking up Stoker's dracula: the style was too dry for my taste. Tried picking up Ulysses: spent way too long reading into every line and trying to visualise what was actually being said/done (maybe I just need to immerse myself in it, but whatever).

>>38535568

I can empathise with that experience: I've noticed I tend to drop books halfway now, although not because I find the narrative predictable (I am actually very bad at seeing through tropes/cliches, and I'm glad because I can enjoy more narratives that way), but rather the writing style stops being engaging after a while, because I get used to the author's language and it doesn't intrigue me any more.
This is why I like microfiction, actually.

Where do you find historical court transcripts and forensic reports?
I remember reading up on ancient Chinese forensics techniques on wiki once. Also Foucault wrote a lot about Medieval European judicial procedures.
>>
>>38535914
>Where do you find historical court transcripts and forensic reports?

True crime genre. Books on forensic anthropology. Books on historical mysteries solved or still unsolved. That kind of thing. True crime can be trashy but there's some gems in that genre as well, especially if the author worked on the case himself as law enforcement or legal representative and wrote the book after retiring. One of the favorites from the past few years of reading is The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. It goes through early discoveries in nuclear fission all the way up to the building and detonation of the two fission bombs in WWII.

Another was Truth, Lies, and O-Rings by Allan J. Mcdonald. That one is about the Challenger shuttle disaster, why it happened and how, as written by one of the primary men responsible for the construction and design of the SRB's that blew up after liftoff.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.