[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In college I got 1 year into a chemical engineering degree before

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: american education.gif (2MB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
american education.gif
2MB, 426x426px
In college I got 1 year into a chemical engineering degree before dropping out, due to bipolar disorder (and autism), and drug abuse (prescribed amphetamine). One week ago I told my therapist that I wanted to go back to college to study pure math. I'm going to make a push to get back on Adderall to study independently; this is a plan 4 years in the making. I've been a NEET since I was 19.

That doesn't really matter, though. College + mental illness thread. Unload here. I'm pretty drunk so I'll respond to you.
>>
>>38487831
I want to study maths too, OP. Don't know if I'm intelligent enough for it though.
>>
good luck anon

i was a NEET 5 years out of highschool and now im just going into my 3rd year of chemical engineering, i also take prescribed amphetamines

do whatever u gotta do
>>
Austists make up like 80% of our pure maths program, you'll fit right in
>>
i just got diagnosed with bpd (after i tried to kill myself)
im supposed to start college in another country this fall and my parents and therapist are telling me not to go
but i already put college off for 1 year and im afraid if i dont go now i never will
(also theres no way i can keep living with my parents)
>>
College + mental illness is so cliche. It's shoved down our throats everyday at school
>>
>>38487831
I dropped out after my first year of college and got diagnosed with BPD.

I was NEET for a year, went back to school, and now I'm going to graduate with a good CS job.

You can do it man.
>>
Please don't be a mailman
>>
>>38487831
>due to...
it was due to laziness about your grades. drugs might have helped that, but c'mon, everybody who goes to college has mental illnesses.
>>
>>38488232
This is really reassuring. Can you elaborate at all? How long have you been on amphetamines, and how have you been using them?

>>38488358
If you're already in college, it doesn't matter. For people who've dropped out and want to get back in, it's a very real situation.

>>38488510
BPD as in bipolar disorder, or borderline personality disorder?
>>
>>38487831
I failed the majority of my math classes because I couldn't see the board. I was blind as fuck.

I didn't care though. I was often just off in my own world day dreaming about random shit.

Normally I could pass the tests by reverse engineering based on the questions. This worked a bit until the more advanced classes.
>>
>>38487831
Do you have trouble to manage your time? Like stupid hobbies? Personally, I was constantly watching sports and browsing 4chan instead of working. The loneliness was too much to handle, I was ok with that in HS but it really killed my will and confused my brain in uni. Is it your case? I wonder if I have autism too, this why I ask.
>>
>>38488621
>>38488232

I started my prescrips when i started upgrading my highschool courses like chem and phys because my grades were shit in HS

so about 4 years now,
i have 40mg of vyvanse that i sometimes take
or i also have 15mg dexedrine spansules
>>
>>38488621
Bipolar Type 2. I struggled with it my whole life being undiagnosed until 19.

Now I just take some mood stabilizers and anti-psychotics every day and I can function.
>>
>>38487831
Go to a community college or a State college. Don't get screwed over with big loans and when you go back don't overwhelm yourself with a bunch of classes.
Maybe you should start off slow. I know it's more expensive but maybe you should just try 1-2 classes?

Also do you abuse Adderall? I know a ton of people in college do, but it's not good long term. Be careful with it.

My best friend has schizophrenia. He was dx when he was 28. He was able to get his degree in Electrical Engineering, and is going for his masters. He does fine with his meds. He's extremely high functioning, but off his meds a couple weeks you start to see a difference sadly.

Anyway, don't let it limit yourself and try your best. I don't think college is for everyone, but give it a try. If it's truly not a relastic goal for you then learn to accept that and talk to someone about it.
>>
>>38488658
>Do you have trouble to manage your time? Like stupid hobbies?
Yes, 100%. Except my "hobby" is shitposting and screwing around on the Internet. When I had Adderall I was much more focused on school work, but eventually depression kicked in and I found studying impossible.
I started taking Adderall in my senior year of high school. It worked until about my second year of college, at which point I dropped out.

>>38488690
Damn dude, you got lucky. Dexedrine is like the Holy Grail of amphetamines - and Vyvanse sounds perfect in terms of ADD management.
>>
>>38488723
Same. I've been taking Lamictal since my diagnosis. No more manic episodes - which is honestly the main thing I wanted - but otherwise not much of a chance.

>>38488745
>Go to a community college or a State college.
Too late. Already got everything I can out of those - everything from O-Chem C to differential equations. I need a real university to complete my schooling.
>do you abuse Adderall?
Yeah. I did when I started college. It's obvious it was one of the main reasons why I dropped out. I'm hoping to god I can use it again without abusing it.
>>
>>38488781
Man, it's terrible, I think I have autism too. You know, the worst part is that I spend far more time watching sports than shitposting which would make more sense to me. I was mostly reading books before my uni failure but since then... I can watch chads throwing balls during hours and it's so stupid that I can't even talk about it to a shrink. Should I take Adderall for this kind of autism?
>>
>>38488934
I'd say only take Adderall if you are absolutely dead-set on finishing school. Before that, I'd recommend talking to a therapist about what's distracting you. You might end up with a prescription for Adderall, but you also might not even need it.
>>
>>38488336
promise no matter what you wont try to kill yourself, seriously. And no take backs. And study hard, and consider all possible jobs you can do, and then pick a few to study for, and go to college, and focus, and do good, and then be free in the world, and work towards success and independence, and dont try to kill yourself
>>
File: actually.png (39KB, 719x719px) Image search: [Google]
actually.png
39KB, 719x719px
Just one li'l bump
>>
>>38487831
I have a doctorate in pure math. Good luck. It's a tough but rewarding path
>>
>>38487831
I got academic suspension after a few undiagnosed manic episodes. I work and go to school now. Took some time to mature and shit is going well. It's a lot more motivating when you're paying for your own education. I'm working a shit dishwasher job for reaching my main goal of an accounting degree. My advice is start small with community college. This will help you build up to a university and find a good middle ground to where you're comfortable.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.