[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it okay to be only a little bit above average? Is it okay

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1498370752529.jpg (88KB, 720x530px) Image search: [Google]
1498370752529.jpg
88KB, 720x530px
Is it okay to be only a little bit above average? Is it okay to be a nobody?

I have this urge to make a mark on the universe but I don't know how because I lack the skills. I'm a skilled person with respects to my technical career niche, but not in influencing history. That is something outside my grasp, or it seems to be right now in my life.

Some people seem content to live and then die and be forgotten. They don't care, they want it this way. But I care deeply for some reason. It just seems impossible to stand out now, because there are too many people.

Should I give up my career and go into academia in hopes of making a useful contribution to the world? I feel like a leech who simply optimized for money and isn't contributing much back to the world, yet as a person I feel a love for math and science but I am occupied with my career

I'll stop rambling here anons as I know this is probably just a spammy crap post.

tl;dr
Is it worth putting your career on hold to enter academia, or will I just be a paper-grading slave for a few years and end up having my papers "authored" by professors who didn't do shit and I become a "co-author" in return? Is it worth it? I don't know what to do but I want to do something useful for the world. There are so many causes
>>
>co author

living life on co pilot mode
>>
>>38453934
>make a Mark on the universe
a bag of guns and a school library?
>>
>>38453934
Get some other people, a moderate size group would be best, and start a rebellion wherever you are. People will notice and you'll get put down as a leader in some textbook somewhere.
>>
>>38453934
>Some people seem content to live and then die and be forgotten
I'm going to live my life to my own set of arbitrary principles, set and achieve my own goals or die trying, try not to get fucked over too bad, and ultimately die like everyone else. I will not be alive to realize my own legacy so I give it very little thought.

I never understood why so many people feel this urge to forge a great legacy, to be remembered for decades, or to greatly influence the world in some way. If seven billion humans all did the same, each individual's mark would get lost like a grain of sand on the beach.
>>
>>38453934
The number of people in academia who are remembered is vanishingly small. It's probably one of the hardest ways to be remembered desu. You'd have a much easier time killing someone famous.

Depends what you mean by leave your mark also.
>>
>>38453938
>>38453939
I want to leave a positive mark

I guess I will lower my standards and try to leave a positive mark on my family and immediate acquaintances, while earning a comfortable life for myself and donating most of my money that is left over after providing for my family.

You can never know whether a genius scientific invention will lead to the next atomic bomb anyway.
>>
>>38453934
Is this what YOU want, OP, or what your mummy has convinced you that you want?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.