[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of dumbass joins the military?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

File: brfvv.jpg (49KB, 490x345px) Image search: [Google]
brfvv.jpg
49KB, 490x345px
What kind of dumbass joins the military?
>>
It's the only option in America if you're a white dude and not rich enough to buy your way into Ivy League.
>Debt slavery with a 6 figure job is worse than being below the poverty line with no debt at all
>No job will hire someone with no college or military experience
>Trades are okay but there's no upward movement until you're like 60 years old
>>
Not all militarys employ drill sergeants and humiliating rituals like the US army, you know?
>>
File: 1498788617854.jpg (8KB, 301x286px) Image search: [Google]
1498788617854.jpg
8KB, 301x286px
>>38442974
>>Debt slavery with a 6 figure job is worse than being below the poverty line with no debt at all
>>
>>38443086
It is though, doctors nowadays live like poor arts students for the first few years because they have so much money to pay back; at least poor people with no debt have freedom.
>>
>>38442925
I dunno, I have twenty grand saved up so far, will have 50k more with the GI bill when I'm out, and I finally stopped being a defeatist pussy.
>>
File: IMG_6325.jpg (29KB, 500x404px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6325.jpg
29KB, 500x404px
>>38442974
>buy your way into Ivy league

mfw poorfags actually believe this
>>
>>38443118
>for the first few years
That goes without saying for anyone who pays off for their own education in full, especially those who go to an ivy. Poor people have no freedom

And I'm not sure why you'd go to an ivy. 2 years at a CC with a scholarship, then transferring to an in-state uni = little debt
>>
>>38442925
somebody who wants to get trained for free and get tons of gib me dats
Chances are you won't even be deployed.
>>
>>38442925
The ones that are poor as fuck and live in the middle of bumfuck no where.
>>
>>38442925
>What kind of dumbass joins the military?

It's not a bad choice for those in the US honestly
It can further your career, help you get skills in lucrative things, it can pay for college

To some extent it can make you a more disciplined person

Obviously you are helping uncle Sam shoot up third worlders, if you have moral issues with that maybe it's not the best
>>
M-me sir! A dumbass like me!
>>
Don't fall for the military meme like I did.
>>
>>38443067
You're right. In other countries it's even worse unless you are Sweden.
>>
Im strongly considering it, but joining the military because you're depressed isn't likely to end well.
>>
>>38443171
I've watched someone leave defeatilism.
>>
>>38443203
>JUST WORK HARD BRO

nice meme
>>
>>38444368
anyone who thinks a statistically relevant number of people buy their way into good colleges is retarded
>>
>>38442974
>being such a brainlet you don't have scholarships
>>
>>38443210
Because going to an ivy league school is a status symbol. You're able to gain connections to insanely successful people and can land a nice paying job right after graduation because everyone wants a harvard/princeton guy
>>
>>38442925
What's so wrong with it?
Give your life structure and a purpose to wake up everyday. Bet you don't have that now. No discipline. No physical fitness. I mean, seriously? It doesn't seem that bad.
>>
I wanna join the navy so fucking bad. I'm tired of rotting away in a classroom every day. I wanna learn how to shoot weapons and get fit for a living.

If I dont get in I'm seriously considering suicide. Its my only purpose at this point.
>>
>>38445605
We are only losers because we aren't as good at lying to ourselves as you normies.

We know exactly that ANY purpose is moot in a world where everything is explored, everything invented and which has an overabundance of people.

I can only laugh at normies who say they are contributing something. Unless you are Tesla you contribute fucking nothing. Nobody fucking needs you and you are replaceable and your wive stays with you because of your money, not because you are such a unique snowflake.
>>
>>38445667
join the marines if you want to be a grunt, the navy is 90% jerking off on a ship and 10% blowing dudes
>>
I've considered joining the french foreign legion just for the citizenship (third worlder here)
>>
>>38445737
Jerking off is fun
Ships are kind of cool I guess
Is there any way to weasel out of fucking other dudes though?
>>
>>38445793
no, it's mandatory for all semen
>>
>>38442925
Me. I just graduated from a top tier university and I'm off to Officer Candidate School next month.

The Navy is paying me 50k a year right now after tax, with guaranteed pay raises pretty much every year. I have full medical and dental coverage, and if I choose to leave, your tax dollars will also pay for my masters degree.

Why aren't you in the military anon?
>>
>>38445966
>Why aren't you in the military anon?
I don't want to be a pawn in the great scheme of things. I want to be a chess player. If I can't be a chess player I will simply not play the damn game.
>>
>>38446378
>I don't want to be a pawn in the great scheme of things.
If you're too scared to start off as a pawn, you're sure as hell not going to make it to be a player.
>>
>>38442974
Dude if you have that much debt after college and can't find a job it's your fault
Pick a cheaper college and a safer career path nimwit
>>
>>38443220
Hey look guys, someone who knows what they're talking about.
>>
>>38446378
>I don't want to be a pawn in the great scheme of things. I want to be a chess player. If I can't be a chess player I will simply not play the damn game.
Unless you're some self-employed millionaire, you're most likely a pawn. You need to start from somewhere, silly pawn
>>
>>38442925
The training is really good for what I've heard
>>
File: bill cosby laughing.jpg (52KB, 536x400px) Image search: [Google]
bill cosby laughing.jpg
52KB, 536x400px
>>38446378
>I don't want to be a pawn in the great scheme of things. I want to be a chess player. If I can't be a chess player I will simply not play the damn game.

Dumb edgy teen.
>>
File: heavybulletsscreen7_29190.jpg (368KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
heavybulletsscreen7_29190.jpg
368KB, 1920x1080px
>>38444262
It's common to use your self-loathing to make life-changing decisions
If you have actual, medical depression, taken anti-depressants, seriously considered or attempted suicide: you'll be disqualified, but it's important to figure out what kind of sadness you are feeling before you tell your recruiter or, god forbid MEPS, that you suffer from depression

Just talk to a recruiter and describe how you feel so he/she can determine if you're just in a rut, need a medical waiver or are simply disqualified; only he would be able to tell you (and they'll either turn you away immediately, no harm no foul, or help you as mush as possible to make sure you qualify because of his/her recruit quota)
The very first time you talk to them it's just them asking 10 basic questions and if you qualify they ask if you'd like to schedule an initial-interview to discuss testing and job opportunities
You are not at all obligated to continue the process if you don't want to and they won't mind since you really haven't wasted any considerable amount of their time
>>
>>38445966
So what's officer school like and how tough is admissions?
I'll be starting as an E-3 soon but I have always wondered if I'd like to pursue an officer career
>>
the kind of dumbass that thinks hes meaningfully serving his country
>>
File: 1500247057172.jpg (77KB, 500x505px) Image search: [Google]
1500247057172.jpg
77KB, 500x505px
Almost 27 and have done little with life. What do you guys suggest. Ive had a past woth asthma and adhd. Nothing thats bothered me since middleschool however. How to lie and not get shafted later on?
>>
>>38442925
If you know that ins/outs of the military and all it's benefits then joining isn't a bad idea; especially if you are poor (and most Americans are rapidly becoming poorer). You have the VA system(it's improving), GI Bill, house loan, better job outlook (especially for federal jobs). Etc.

Be smart, do your research, ask questions, use the benefits, and it's important to be mentally strong. They literally try to break you during training; don't lose your identity.
>>
>>38446846
I haven't gone through OCS yet, but my understanding is it's basically 4 years of ROTC condensed into 12 weeks. It's meant to be pretty physically and mentally demanding (more so than boot camp), but I'm honestly too proud and stubborn to not get through it.

There are a bunch of enlisted-to-officer programs that you should look in to, but the general rule is you need a 4 year college degree in order to commission. No idea what the competition would be like for you.
>>
>>38445699
But the reason Tesla bothered at all was for human advancement. The last thing anyone great would want you to do was squander your life fucking around on the intertubes
>>
>>38446899
Anyone please? Original
>>
>>38444653
Fucking this man. Idk why sometimes I puff my chest because I'm going to the popular engineering school in my city when in reality it's far behind in the national ranks, yeah I can always land a nice paying job after college with little trouble, but someone who graduates last in a Harvard class will have 100X the connections I will have coming out *implying I don't bust my ass making connections*

It truly is a fucking numbers game, I really wish my parents would've pushed me growing up as a kid, I really did have potential to be a Harvard Man. Not that I'm saying it's impossible now, because it is still possible for me to transfer to a nicer school. But still, the way parents raise their kids is such a fucking huge factor on what direction that child is headed in life. Again, not trying to make excuses, but life really is a fucking numbers game when it comes to achieving REAL success.
>>
>>38447095
Join the military if you really want to join the military. If you're joining just because you feel like you've done nothing with your life, there are other options to fulfill yourself that don't legally lock you down and require you to up a huge portion of your freedom.
>>
>>38446899
Better enlist soon if you want to. You might not get in due to asthma/adhd though.
>>
>>38447176
Well what would happen if i just declined to mention it? How would they find out past meps?
>>
>>38446765
The analogy fits, though.
>>
>>38447160
>but someone who graduates last in a Harvard class will have 100X the connections

[citation needed that isn't your own insecurity]
>>
>>38447221
>figure out you can't run 1.5mi
>fail your PRT
>get kicked out
>feel like more of a loser than you did when you started
>>
>>38442925
Somebody who wants to blow terrorists up for a living. Duh.
>>
>>38446899
If it's not on records, you're clean and healthy. Go to /k/ and use their /meg/ generals, will help a lot.. Don't check some stupid boxes and disqualify yourself.
>>
>>38447239
Bro it's just facts let's face it, let's say out of instinct you were a general manager at some big 10 company and you had 2 people who were competing to be hired. Who would you choose, the one who graduated at Alabama state or the one who graduated at Cambridge? and you had no clarification what their ranking is, you would automatically pick the man who went to Cambridge because that's an Ivy League school and you were going with your gut on who was the SAFEST bet. Again, this is a numbers game. I'm not saying this is a concrete fact, I'm just stating that this is how it would play out in many real life situations.
>>
>>38447324
>you would automatically pick the man who went to Cambridge because that's an Ivy League school
You weren't kidding, this definitely isn't a concrete fact.
>>
>>38447309
Do they have access to records from far back? Im pretty damn sure if i were to get back into shape, id run an 7 min mile. Thats without being dedicAted
>>
>>38447221
>>38447245
Most people will grow out of asthma as they get older, especially with physical training. Best thing to do is to start right now. Run 1 mile everyday and progress slowly. At least in the end you can look back and say that you tried for once in your miserable life. I believe in you anon.
>>
>>38447324
>Who would you choose, the one who graduated at Alabama state or the one who graduated at Cambridge?

I would look at their GPA, degree, and relevant experience. Then I would call them both in for interviews to see how they are in person, to see how confident and knowledgeable they are. Where the fuck do GMs hire people just on instinct? I'd only factor where they went as a tipping point. Hell, the person who went to an Ivy may demand a higher salary over the other guy, that's another factor
>>
>>38442925

I forget the exact ratio, but it's something like 4 or 5 support personnel in the military for every 1 combat personnel.

I was in the Navy for 4 years, I literally sat in a warehouse and occasionally shipped mechanical parts for ships overseas. In an 8 hour day I spent 1 hour answering emails, 1 hour labeling or inventorying stuff, and 6 hours shit-posting on my phone. We may actually have to send something out during the day, so that's 30 minutes out of my 6 hour shit-posting session i'd lose.

The most danger I was in while I was in the Navy was going on wild benders down in Tijuana. One of the forklifts rolled into a shelf one day and knocked a few things over, broke some guys ankle.

Pay was not bad either, I wasn't one of those idiots who got a bunch of credit cards or high interest car loans so I pretty much pocketed my entire paycheck and put a decent chunk away into retirement investments.

I got out, had my university entirely paid for. Got $2000/month tax free for housing while in school which I pocketed because I was staying with family.

Not every job is infantry, a majority of people worked some boring ass safe job even if they won't admit it.
>>
>poorfags
>people who come from military families
>people who want experience for things like HRT
Special forces are born for it, there's nothing they can do to change the way they are.
>>
>>38443171

Then why the fuck do you post in this shithole?
>>
>>38447397
Roasted the fuck out of me senpai. Not even mad.
>>
>>38446724
Why millionaire?

Everyone who is employed is a chess player.
>>
File: 1475036266944.jpg (39KB, 475x318px) Image search: [Google]
1475036266944.jpg
39KB, 475x318px
>>38448164
>Everyone who is employed is a chess player.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.