[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey robots, I need to get something off my chest. Three years

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Hey robots, I need to get something off my chest.

Three years ago I got my friend into smoking, 16 at the time. I never really like it that much myself but my friend enjoyed it, would smoke a cig every few days or so. Also took to a pipe and hookah over the next few years.

Fast forward to this spring, friend is diagnosed with bone cancer in his jaw. He gets really fucked up, got a tracheotomy, big scar on his chin, chemo, whole nine yards. Half his jawbone was taken out and replaced with his fibula. It turned out that he has a genetic defect where his cells don't kill cancerous cells that makes him at risk for bone and brain cancer. He got treated for it but yesterday learned that he had more tumors behind his lip and in his lungs. He also had cancer in his shoulder when he was younger.

Anyways /r9k/, I've been drinking and smoking cigs all night, trying to figure out whether I inadvertently fucked up my friend. Pretty sure he's going to die soon with the cancer coming back after he went through surgery and chemo. Thoughts?
>>
>>38403401
>you didnt know anon, nothing you could have done now
however smoking while young is never a good idea and you both should have understood that
Honestly no point in feeling guilty now
Your friend will forgive you
It's not like you forced him to smoke cigarettes
However you both shouldn't have been stupid and started smoking at a young age
>>
I don't think you should feel bad for something that wasn't necessarily caused by you. Unless you forced him to start smoking or something. It seems your only influence was just smoking around them until they wanted to try a cig, which spiraled to this. you can't really blame yourself for anything because they're the one who continued to smoke after you "influenced" them. it's pretty much the their own fault. Sorry for them though.
>>
>>38403401
If he had that genetic condition and he had ALREADY had cancer in his youth then it's really got nothing to do with you bro, a gentle breeze could have given him cancer again.
>>
With that genetic defect maybe it was gonna happen eventually anyway, but you might have accelerated it. Not like you could have known though.
>>
>>38403481
They were cigarettes, I didn't know at the time he had that genetic defect, just that he had cancer ten years prior. Didn't seem like a big deal either, we never smoked that much
>>
>>38403571
>implying you need to smoke a pack a day to get lung cancer
>implying somehow smoking while your body is still growing isnt worse than smoking with a adult body
Honestly everyone's bodies isn't created equal
Some people get lung cancer from casual smoking while other can smoke packs everyday and feel perfectly fine
>>
>>38403532
>>38403537
>>38403560
We didn't know about the condition at that time, just that he had cancer earlier. I know that I shouldn't blame myself but it's pretty hard looking back, you know? I didn't force him to smoke but I feel like he never would have taken up tobacco had I not pushed it on him.

I should also say that he is super skilled at the French horn, as in one of the top young players in the country. He can't play ever again with this recent diagnosis
>>
>>38403618
But could, let's say, five packs worth over the course of two and a half years, cause this, even with a genetic defect? That should honestly never cause cancer afaik
>>
>>38403655
>they should honestly never cause cancer
well it did cause cancer
>>
>>38403629
Even if he barely smoked he was truly playing with fire if he had already had cancer before, that's just so moronic
>>
i smoke like 3 a day

honestly the only people who smoke and got cancer i know was a guy whosr smoked 3 packs a day for like 50 years
>>
>>38403736
I meant that little, and the doc didn't say THAT caused it
>>38403758
But if you had cancer ten years before and nothing ever had come of it since then, wouldn't you consider it a freak thing from your childhood?
>>
As a cancer survivor, I know that smoking is awful for me. I started smoking at 16 and I certainly don't blame the friends that first gave me cigs for it. I don't even remember who it was.

If he's had reoccurring bouts of cancer he is far more genetically disadvantaged than any disadvantage he obtained in his enviroment.

Don't feel bad anon, being there for your friend now means way more than who he first bummed a smoke from.
>>
>>38403862
>the doc didn't say THAT caused it

It probably didn't. The interesting thing about cancer is that it can never be really "cured". It can always come back bigger and badder or in some other area.
>>
>>38403881
If you don't mind me asking, what type of cancer did you have? Was it after you started smoking, and did the doc say the smoking may have caused it?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.