[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just a shoutout to all you young robots out there who love computers,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: Y9u8bVPh.jpg (83KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
Y9u8bVPh.jpg
83KB, 1024x680px
Just a shoutout to all you young robots out there who love computers, technology, and math, and don't know what to do with your education or career. This thread is for you

>You need to major in Computer Science, and you need to purposefully become obsessed with it to the point where you become extremely good and can get hired at top companies
>At these top companies, they don't care if you can't make eye contact. They don't care if you can't handle casual small talk. They don't care if you're a fucking autistic ass burger who will never get laid. If you're good, you're good, and they want you anon
>It's one of the best careers that are actually meritocracies. Good people get promoted, bad people don't. Sucking up obviously happens but at the end of the day you need to deliver high quality results working on complex software systems, so there are no idiots here

>I work with some guys who are social butterflies, like my boss, but they're all nice
>I work with some guys who legitimately rarely if ever talk, or guys who talk a lot and laugh at their own awkward programming jokes. It's amazing. Programming jobs at good companies are amazing. It's not even work it's FUN anons

You can earn $100k+ straight out of college to fund your anime collection or crypto investments. You can travel and take time off, these good companies often give 3 weeks of vacation starting and 4 weeks once you're promoted a level

Programming is where it's at anons. CS degrees are the BEST degrees right now for intelligent autists like us
>>
File: 1q3425453.png (24KB, 310x326px) Image search: [Google]
1q3425453.png
24KB, 310x326px
>tfw I taught myself programming and figured out how to make money without working for any jews

Computers are really useful
>>
File: 1498271776166.jpg (56KB, 720x644px) Image search: [Google]
1498271776166.jpg
56KB, 720x644px
>tfw too stupid for programming
>tfw still autistic anyway
>>
>>38402498
Am sperg, not the clever type. What do anon
>>
>>38402766
your special in your own way anon
>>
>>38402498
>All programing jobs are enjoyable

This is false and you know it.
>>
>>38403047
>Hey anon, do you mind stripping this cool open source program of all its cool features so we can claim it as our own?
Fuck tech jobs.
>>
telling someone to put everything on computer science is bad advice
Programming is a tool you use, otherwise it's useless mental masturbation.
For example I am an illustrator who taught myself programming to make games which made me pretty wealthy now
It's not worth paying to learn something you teach yourself
>>
>>38403111
>For example I am an illustrator

I am honestly more interested in learning this. Are you self taught in this subject?
>>
>>38402498
>went to college orientation recently
>majoring in computer science so i go to a kind of Q&A with the department head with the other incoming compsci majors
>all of them look autistic as hell
>realize I am by far the most attractive person in the room
>they are looking at me like I'm a chad
>little do they know, I post on r9k all the time and have horrible depression
>I am the biggest autist of them all
>>
>>38403047
I never said they all are, I said the good ones are

Join a backend low level high performance infrastructure team with a focus on code quality and you will be in heaven if you're actually a real autist. You'll get to argue about obscure design principles and system architecture with really smart turbo ass burgers
>>
>>38402498
I hate programming. I'm going to do networking or security.
>>
I don't mind my job, but the rest of my life is empty and unfulfilling.
>>
>>38403478
Sorry anon but I just find that really funny

In order to fully understand network or security, you need to be an excellent low level programmer, both to understand network protocols and to understand ABIs, operating system design, etc. in order to be able to understand how exploits and security vulnerabilities work

Unless you just want to be some "tool user" who doesn't actually understand what he's doing, you have to major in CS to be any good at those things
>>
I'm struggling on this route. Not sure how I will float once studying seriously starts to get tough.
>>
>>38402498
tried the CS meme, ended up cheating which let me pass the class, but rly hurt my confidence / belief that I could actually program and don't know if I can do future classes by myself...any advice / help? should I just major in something easier?
>>
>>38403576
You should just start practicing in your own time

What class did you cheat in? What didn't you understnad?
>>
>>38403607
not gonna incriminate myself any further lol. I've tried Free code camp, but always end up quitting / kinda cheating. copy-paste is just too tempting lol. already working fulltime+overtime at a diff. job and coming home and working on programming puzzles doesn't sound too appealing.
>>
File: 1499639555203.png (372KB, 372x576px) Image search: [Google]
1499639555203.png
372KB, 372x576px
>tfw probably gonna fail out of CS not because I'm incapable of doing the work but because I fail classes due to losing motivation halfway through and not having enough money for tuition
I'm gonna end up killing myself within 3 years at this rate.
>>
>>38403683
try adderall? maybe tell yourself that there's really good things on the other side of graduation. it's a shame if you fail out when you have the ability, which a lot of people would kill for.
>>
File: 1460418801166.jpg (23KB, 470x296px) Image search: [Google]
1460418801166.jpg
23KB, 470x296px
>>38403683
>>38403247
>>38402498
Can any of you peeps talk about how much you knew about programming before going for CS?
I am a veteran so ill be an adult student and I want to major in CS cause ive always loved comps but I never got into programming on my own. Can I go in cold? Just for reference I got a 700math sat and 650 reading. Will most autists there be smarter than me or dumber you think?
>>
File: 1497052344177.jpg (114KB, 924x664px) Image search: [Google]
1497052344177.jpg
114KB, 924x664px
>>38402498
this is terrible advice faggot
Are you some kinda student?

Take a cruise on /g/ before spouting such BS which may ruin people's lives
>>
>>38403755
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=intro%20to%20programming
>>
>>38403541
Hmmmm

Time to commit suicide
>>
>got into the field
>legitimately sit in my office playing 3DS under my desk with the volume off for half the day
>crank out any work that needs to be done in an hour and then spend the remainder of the day trying to look busy while I play indie games on my laptop
>have a small Mega Man figure on my desk and use a mouse that look like a sports car because it makes me laugh
>nobody says shit because I'm good at what I do when I actually work and I'm polite when I actually have to talk to them
>>
>>38403755
You should practice at least a little to get an idea of whether you actually enjoy it, but they'll teach you from the ground up so all you really need to know is how to use a mouse and keyboard.

The autists will be autists, there'll be like 5% whiz kids and the rest will be normal distribution
>>
How good do your grades need to be to land a comfy job in CS/IT/software dev?
>>
>>38403755
Dont worry. Programming is piss easy. Just have a decent memory to remember syntax, libraries ect and rest is all logic
>>
>>38403755
You can indeed go in cold

I knew little to nothing about programming before I started the degree, some extremely minor scripting in a shit tier language that to be honest probably held me back if anything due to bad habits

You have to have a mathematical mind though and a desire to turn big problems into a combination of many small problems
>>
>>38403957
Programming is piss easy

Programming well is extremely hard that's why it pays the big bucks

It's a combination of /aesthetics/, algorithmic complexity, maintainability, flexibility, readability, speed, and aesthetics. Good code has to look good to you and bad code has to give you palpable OCD if you want to be a real programmer
>>
>>38402498
cs is just really boring to me
t. degree in math
>>
File: 1496304219731.jpg (73KB, 640x938px) Image search: [Google]
1496304219731.jpg
73KB, 640x938px
>>38403908
Appreciate it
>>38404017
>>38403784
I plan on doing some learning before hand. ive heard python is a good place to start. Agree? If not where aside from youtube vids ofc.

>>38403957
>>38404049
This blows my mind about CS. Everytime its posted its complete yin yang hold and cold discussion.

Half the people say its easy and they love it and the other half says its hard as fuck and its a meme degree or something along those lines.

Hard to know what to believe.
>>
>>38404382
Some people work on shit codebases where the rest of their team also doesn't care, even their boss doesn't care. They think it's easy because you "just write it lol" and "just figure out the logic", they tend to work on programs where the primary behavior is "business logic" i.e. parsing user input, displaying prompts, writing output, and that's the extent of the program.

Then some people work on the complex systems themselves that these people interface with and utilize. Operating systems, low latency server code where for instance allocation of any sort is forbidden, all algorithms must be O(logn) at most but preferably O(1), etc. This is where it gets hard

Don't listen to anyone who tells you programming is easy. It's way more likely that they just aren't good at it than it is likely that they're a hyper genius who finds it easy

Bad programming IS easy as fuck. Good programming IS hard. That's why it pays so much.
>>
>>38402498
>parents make me start working for HVAC neighbor at age 20
>he's quiet and doesn't like talking on the job
>he's awkward around all the other tradesmen whenever we're all on a big job like a remodel
>he has a wife and daughter
>daughter eventually became first gf
>now 29 and journeyman HVAC myself
>warms my heart to think a guy similar to us was able to make it
>maybe i can make it too
>>
>>38404442
>That's why it pays so much.
Can you elaborate on this. Cause this is another area I get hot and cold answers.
Ive seen some say they started at 50-60k which I'm guessing is the low end for bad programmers yet ive seen others say they get around 80-100k.
Can you explain why the disparity?
What types of jobs are likely to pay more?
What can be done to improve your chances of getting a better job, like side projects or extra classes in school or whatever you can think of?

Appreciate the help my chocolate skinned affiliate

>>38404522
It sounds like you've made it already
>>
>>38402498
>Good people get promoted
Good luck getting to a management position without talking to your underlings
>>
ive tryed to learn some programming languages on my own (c++, ruby, etc.) but difficulty even getting into the habit of learning it regularly.
>>
>>38404642
op here bit drunk now so pardon my wordings

the top companies like google microsoft amazon facebook, they pay a lot and if you are good you can get in

proprietary trading firms pay a lot too, lots of companies pay a lot but they all have high standards

gotta pass hard intervbiews on hard algorithms and data structures, gotta know when to use hash tables and binary trees and ternary trees and the best way to implement for that particular problem and explain why and shit like that. not too hard but for some people its hard

gotta know how to implement it fast

iot depends on the company, if its a big company that earns lots of money compared to its quantitity of employees uthen youd make the bank there

basicvaslly the smarter you are the better programmer you are, the more you know, with regards to the MATH aspec ot f the programming, the MORE MONEY YOU MAKE

also its kind of a cost of living thing, mobody makes 100k+ straight out of college in cheap places like texas, but in california and washington they do
>>
>>38403683
Get therapy/psychiatry NOW. Before it's too late.
>>
>>38402498
>3 weeks of vacation. America fuck yeah. 5 weeks in the first year in europe
>>
>>38402498
what about IT ? I enjoy computers but not programming i am now a lead for the feds right now and i lectured for hours in the middle of the night about computers. i failed out of Network Admin and changed back to sys admin and now it looks like i might fail my A+ here in about 10 days so what do i do ??
>>
>>38405930
>5 weeks in the first year in europe
>5 waves of sand niggers to go along with that
>>
>At these top companies, they don't care if you can't make eye contact. They don't care if you can't handle casual small talk. They don't care if you're a fucking autistic ass burger who will never get laid. If you're good, you're good, and they want you anon

This is bullshit. I'm in high school and I was applying for a high school internship at Cisco, my resume is fairly respectable (I found and am acknowledged for several CVEs in Wordpress/WP plugins, etc). I sperged out really hard during the interview and ended up not getting it. The person who got it was a pajeet in the IT club that I would say is less knowledgeable yet more charismatic than me.

In the end it doesn't matter what you know, but instead how well you can smile and communicate during the interview. They don't care about how many languages you know, but instead if you can work in a group.
>>
>>38406274
You're in high school your opinion here doesn't matter. And this is anecdotal evidence completely, maybe you're shit
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-16-11-05-03.png (562KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-16-11-05-03.png
562KB, 540x960px
>>38406168
Those niggers only fuck you up if you live in the same shitholes as them. Alps Masterrace
>>
>>38406465
My company puts a lot of emphasis on soft skills like communication.
Not necessary the entire company but my community (we call our departments communities) deals in small to medium projects with strict deadlines and communication is key to deliver in time.
>>
>>38402498
What programming languages do you use?

Origamibxbajjdhd
>>
>>38406465
No,
>>38406274
is entirely correct. I'm an oldfag with 20 years' experience as a programmer and I'm good at what I do. I had an interview (after passing two phone screens) recently at a much better company, was completely honest about my lifestyle and interests and failed to get the job.

The reason they gave was because I "lacked technical skills" but that is obviously and demonstrably bullshit. The true reason is because they knew I wouldn't fit into a group well and they don't want weird, middle-aged autistic losers hanging around the office.

There's a kernel of truth in OP's post, which is that a good programming job is one of the comfiest ways for a robot to earn a living. But don't delude yourself. Social skills matter enormously, even in software work and even at the best companies.
>>
how do I keep motivation instead of giving up when I hit things I don't understand or take awhile to get?
like the idea of being able to build stuff on my own and being to able to possibly do something with it
>>
I'm trying to learn it.
I'm using a text book but feel like I'm stagnating.
I don't really know what I should do to get better now. I don't know a lot so I'm not interested in anything specific, just enjoy programming a bit.
>>
i'd enjoy studying CS if it weren't for the math courses. i like programming on my spare time but i just can't deal with this tautologic equivalance and matlab shit. it's so hard but i don't want to drop out again.
>>
Computers are fun and all but I'm more interested in soft shit like e-commerce, not so much the raw code and slaving over a hot keyboard. I have a good job that pays bills and allows me to practice on getting my ads, campaigns, and product research on the side. Learning a little database shit and some scripting is about as advanced as I'd need. Lately I've been playing with spreadsheets more and it's just easier, especially once I'm in a position to hire an assistant. Excel wizards are by no means common, but most people have some familiarity with it and won't cost as much. No matter how good the job you're still subject to the whims of a handful of people. At least with running a business you feel a little more in control since it's just market forces and what you do to navigate and maintain. Once you reach good enough you can then coast or continue working on expansion. If you're like me and cycle through interests many of the skills carry over. Good copy is good copy. Buying from China is much the same whether it's dildos, audio components, or textiles. Running a simple word press is exactly the same, just different content. Be your own boss. Learning curve is a bitch and you need capital depending on where you go, but this is top robot profession.
>>
>>38407344
work on a simple project.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 443x332px
>>38402498
Tfw never really handled a computer.
Slightly above average with math.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.