[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tired of being a retail wagecuck. Advice on how to get into accounting/computer

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1485832303656.jpg (58KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1485832303656.jpg
58KB, 600x600px
Here's the deal. I've been working as a fucking retail cashier for 6 years and I'm done. I have a little bit more of a debt to my current boss I need to finish paying off. Within the next couple to few months, my debt should be paid off.

What I'm asking the people here is how I should plan my exit strategy. I do NOT want to keep working here as a wagecuck for the rest of my life, I'm 24 years old. Now I know I'm pretty good with computers, as I play vidya and smoke pot in my spare time off work. I'm stuck in the rut because I've been feeling depressed, down and out. Feeling like I have no hope to ever move on up. I can only feel sorry for myself for so long, and I need to do something or I might as well become an hero.

I'm good with computers. I type 80-90 WPM with very high accuracy (~98%). I can use Microsoft Word pretty well I suppose, and I'm pretty proficient at using Sony Vegas. I don't really know much about Microsoft Excel or Outlook, but I can probably catch on pretty quickly. Looking in Craigslist for accounting positions I see most require a year to 3 years of previous experience, and skill in Excel and Outlook. I can probably git gud at Excel and Outlook if I use them for a while, but the experience part kills me. I'd love to go to college, but I'm piss poor. Poor as in with half my check taken I only get about $50 a check after bills. I need experience to be taken seriously anywhere. I don't know where to find that experience. Where do I go? Where do I start? Is there even a point, or should I just kill myself?

TL;DR: stuck at a dead end McJob, paying off debt in few months time, looking for exit strategy. Competent with computers but not a hacker, type pretty fast and can learn new programs fairly easily, no college experience and no money for college, piss poor poverty. Need a stone to jump from to either launch myself into a career, or kill myself. Don't know where to start. Looking for advice, help, or tips.
>>
File: handshakedad.jpg (22KB, 612x408px) Image search: [Google]
handshakedad.jpg
22KB, 612x408px
"All those computers and certificates may seem nice, Champ, but nothing beats walking in there, speaking with the manager, giving him a firm handshake, and telling him you want the job. Can't get any simpler than that."
>>
>>38392576
Learn web programming. I went from making $30k/year to making $120k/year and my options just keep getting better.
>>
>>38392631
I admire your dedication to handshake dad. Would you like to step into my office and we can work out a position for you?
>>
>>38392633
elaborate please?

oreginaolol
>>
>>38392633

I took a Web design class in high school but years of smoking pot made the education leave my brain. I'm considering putting down the pipe until I figure something out, I don't deserve to smoke anyways, I'm turning into a burnout desu
>>
>>38392633
do you mean web dev ? is it good for a brainlet ?
>>
>>38392677
OK. I left college with no job options and only a little background in programming. I took a job making $30k/year building and maintaining a friend's webpage. I studied relentlessly until I had turned that webpage into a full-blow web application, my friend awestruck and estatic the whole time. I then demanded a raise and he couldn't afford it, so I put my resume out there and my next job was $105k/year. I was so proud to be making six figures. I've been making slow but steady progress from there.

Everything you need to learn how to program, and do web programming in particular, is online. Look up node.js and Ruby on Rails. Learn more than one language and you'll be worth twice as much. All that time you spend smoking pot and playing video games could be spent winning the career game, or at least getting way ahead in it.
>>
>>38392576
>I'd love to go to college, but I'm piss poor.
>no money for college.

You don't need money for college to go to college. The majority of people in college right now can't actually afford it themselves. Everyone applies for students loans, grants, and scholarships. There's serious hope for you if you have an idea of what you want to do as a career and really want to go to school anon.

If you still don't want to do that for some reason. My next bit of advice is to look around for any warehouse or labor jobs in your area. They generally pay more than minimum wage and most are entry level, or at least have such positions. Also If you see a job and you think its something you can do, and it does not require a degree, I'd apply anyway regardless of how many years experience they say they want.
>>
>>38392974
I like this idea. I saw a few listings showing a few years experience needed but everything else I could do, talking on phones typing fast using spreadsheets yada yada.

Of course I have to stay at this place until I pay my debt off, but afterwards is when I need to get my ass seriously motivated. I like the other anon's suggestion of learning web design, I do love the internet and if I apply myself and quit the drugs, I may find a hidden skill for it. I'm already pretty damn good at making stupid retarded YTP videos with Sony Vegas, if I'm talented at that maybe I'm talented at web design too.

I heard that fat dude Boogie3000 from YouTube made good money designing web pages years ago, if he can do it there's really no reason I can't learn.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.