[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Invention of Morel

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: morel.gif (51KB, 510x367px) Image search: [Google]
morel.gif
51KB, 510x367px
I do not believe that a dream should necessarily be taken for reality, or reality for madness...
>>
>>38378656
Great point. I believe the sky is sometimes blue and water is wet.
>>
File: mariband.gif (266KB, 1280x524px) Image search: [Google]
mariband.gif
266KB, 1280x524px
A nameless fugitive, hides away on remote and deserted island that harbors a stigma of disease and death. He struggles with an intense fear of becoming discovered that often manifests in neurosis and paranoia, but his feelings become mixed as he falls in love with a tourist who arrives shortly after him. He wants to tell her his feelings, but there is something keeping them apart.
>>
File: last year.jpg (25KB, 220x306px) Image search: [Google]
last year.jpg
25KB, 220x306px
So, what did you think of the book?

Adolfo Bioy Casares saw this as his first real venture into literature (despite writing 7 novels before this), and despite the many accolades and recognition it has recieved among critics it is still a relatively obscure novel.

Fun fact this book inspired the 1961 surrealist film Last Year at Marienbad
>>
I left the the book at home and writing on mobile, but I can safely say the book started reminding me of what I think the movie "Her" would sorta be like.
>>
>>38379024
Her was that movie about the guy who fell in love with his phone?
>>
>>38379024
Wait I want to make sure I read this right.. does it remind you of the film? or are you saying that you haven't seen the film so it reminds you of what you imagine the film to be like?
>>
File: Faustine.gif (999KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Faustine.gif
999KB, 300x200px
>>38378656
I wonder how his advances would have gone down with Faustine had she responded. i think he woulda got BTFO'd real quick
>>
>>38378656
the hit TV show Lost references this book at one point, though I think whatever inspiration the show took from the book was largely lost or forgotten
>>
>>38379103
That's exactly what I was trying to say.
>>
What do you guys think about Morel's idea of immortality?
>>
>>38379268
I think the level of permanence ascribed to images by Morel (and by extension, Casares) is insane. Pictures burn, and so do books. Why should the 'complete' images captured by Morel be nigh indestructable (sure his projection machine is [presumably] not, but I can poke a hole in a picture of my great-grandmother if I want to; why shouldn't the Narrator be able to scrounge up a paper clip and poke his way out of the machine room [yeah i know the plot needs him to be stuck there go fork yerself with a rusty spoon]).
>>
I'm a little embarrassed it took my until the seventh footnote to realize that the Editor is also a part of the narrative.
>>
>>38379268
It tackles some of the problems that arise with immortality, like the potential loss of those who are dear to you. Or even the boredom that might arise from such a condition. Here he is stuck in a "moment" indefinitely, experiencing it for the first time each time that it repeats, along with his closest friends. But is immortality any good if you don't know that your immortal? Ultimately the invention and it's application are twisted and our narrator's own experiences and observations call into question the reality of this immortality
>>
>>38379480
Yeah I found myself a little frustrated with the way the main character acted at certain points in the story. but then again it's not a story about characters....
"to his efforts to perpetuate man: but he has preserved nothing but sensations; and, although his invention was incomplete, he at least foreshadowed the truth: man will one day create human life."
>>
>>38378898
What is keeping them apart?
>>
>>38379691
Though the narrator eventually comes gives in to what he sees as Morel's genius, he records himself with the device so that he can stay by Faustine forever.
>>
>>38379785
Faustine is a projection, one with incredibly high fidelity, one that is tangible, with a scent (and perhaps with a soul as well), but a projection non the less. He tries to interact with her but finds that he is incapable of getting her attention, of interacting with her on any level (beyond observing her). Faustine, along with the other tourists are destined to act out their week long vacation for a very long time.
>>
File: morel.jpg (100KB, 470x683px) Image search: [Google]
morel.jpg
100KB, 470x683px
>>38379961
"To be on an island inhabited by artificial ghosts was the most unbearable of nightmares; to be in love with one of those images was worse than being in love with a ghost (perhaps we always want the poerson we love to have the existence of a ghost)."
>>
>>38380015
Interestingly enough some random online guy pointed out the parallels between this and a quote from Tolkien
"...I say to you that she loves you more truly than me; for you she loves and knows; but in me she loves only a shadow and a thought..."
-Aragorn to Eomer, of Eowyn
Return of the King
What is it we love when we fall in love? The narrator falls in love with a projection, what's more he knows nothing of Faustine. I found her to be one of the most ambiguous characters in the novel. What do we know of her? That she occasionally speaks of Canada? Has the narrator misjudged her, how can he fall so madly in love with a shadow and a thought.
>>
i rate it 69/81 good read
>>
>>38380185
>Has the narrator misjudged her
duh obviously
>>
File: 1474838763947.jpg (45KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1474838763947.jpg
45KB, 657x527px
It's nice to see that there are some patricians in this Ukrainian rug weaving exchange forum.
>>
Alright gang, here's the new reading:

"17776, What Football Will Look Like in the Future" by Jon Bois.

https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football
>>
>>38380473
>https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football

oh boy I love Ucrane
>>
File: morel.gif (1MB, 516x447px) Image search: [Google]
morel.gif
1MB, 516x447px
>>38380397
excuse me sir i would like to ask of you two questions.
1. who are you?
2. what do you want?
3. what sort of thoughts do you have on the narrative as a whole
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.