[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alan Watts has warned us many times that psychedelics aren't

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 3333333333333.jpg (169KB, 960x624px) Image search: [Google]
3333333333333.jpg
169KB, 960x624px
Alan Watts has warned us many times that psychedelics aren't for everyone and that it would actually be dangerous if the majority of a population began using them. I agree with him. It may not necessarily be physically dangerous to the individual, but definitely dangerous for the culture of that population. Hallucinogens allow the user, among other things, to temporarily step out of the many socially constructed "boxes" culture has enclosed them in. They become decontextualized and behold the whole superstructure from outside of it, often noting the absurdity and "arbitrariness" of our categorizations and sometimes even seeing them as perversions of the Whole. Many of them then go on to take a very anti-cultural, anti-civilizational stance, they stop playing by the rules and stop contributing to the building of their "evil" and "unnatural" civilization. McKenna's quote "Culture is not your friend" comes to mind. It's like post-modernism in a pill, without the depressive nihilism. Is it any surprise, then, that post-modernism emerged in the 60s when, coincidentally, the use of psychedelics exploded in the West? Maybe there's a connection, I'm not sure. But we also got the computer age emerging out of that time, also influenced by psychedelics to a degree, so it's definitely a double-edged sword.
>>
However, we must realize that these plants represent the pure feminine spirit (Yin, chaos, destruction, equity, passiveness, Nature), being the mouthpieces of Mother Nature herself, and are therefore antithetical to the masculine spirit of culture (Yang, order, construction, hierarchy, activeness, Man). It's safe to assume that many who take these psychedelics for the first time are already pretty open-minded to begin with, but if they lack the intellect (which, in my experience, many of them do), the further widening of their openness and acceptance of nature/chaos over culture/order renders them nigh on useless for civilization-building and the subsequent ascendance of humanity. You'll sooner find them cooing and dancing around a roaring bonfire banging on rawhide PowWow drums than doing anything actually productive. They'd also sooner see society devolve into the more feminine, egalitarian and communalist ethos that characterized the Neolithic tribes of Old Europe, "returning to Mother Nature," as they would say. These are people who "tripped over" enlightenment, as it were, and saw something they weren't meant to, and to our detriment, as they do not possess the intellectual capacity, nor the virile assertiveness, to make generative use of this newfound perspective, of this "liberation."
>>
Their answer to the struggle of life is a weak "just relax, maaaan," instead of the more heroic and creative approach of the stronger-willed. This is just another form of hedonistic nihilism. And this isn't even mentioning their parasitic selfishness, which is ironic since they would characterize themselves as being for the most part quite selfless, thanks to their ego-shattering experiences induced by psychedelics. They take the fruits from the blood-soaked branches of the tree of culture while refusing to water it with their own blood as their ancestors have for millennia, some even wishing to uproot the whole damn thing. This is all to say that, more likely than not, they were more useful in their ignorant state and as cogs in the greater machine we call civilization. Nietzsche writes as much in Thus Spoke Zarathustra :

"Free, do you call yourself? Then I would hear your ruling thought, and not merely that you have escaped from a yoke. Are you one of those who had the right to escape from a yoke? Many a one has cast away his last worth when he has cast away his servitude. Free from what? What does that matter to Zarathustra! But your fiery eyes should tell me: free for what?"

I'm not saying that everybody in the psychedelic community, are like this, but they definitely make up a large part of it unfortunately.
>>
File: rwwqc3rwszjy.jpg (70KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
rwwqc3rwszjy.jpg
70KB, 1200x800px
>>38358371
>These are people who "tripped over" enlightenment, as it were, and saw something they weren't meant to, and to our detriment, as they do not possess the intellectual capacity, nor the virile assertiveness, to make generative use of this newfound perspective, of this "liberation."

Perhaps you could say the same thing about humanity at large since we started cooking meat. Our existence as a species is something we've gotten away with. Every day before & since we reached the threshold to destroy life on Earth with nuclear weapons, we're living in a less-than-certain state of evolution. We evolve, we adapt or perish just like we always have.

If we were no more clever than a bacteria, we would have continued to live for 30 years, experience consciousness as nothing more than a vehicle for the universe to witness the world, consider oneness during intercourse, imagine the rest of the cosmos in the stars, and find release in death. It's an interesting grappling match of semantics when you call surrendering yourself to the chaos of war as pure Yang and weaseling your way to an easier existence is Yin. When you take a look at multi-billionaires and the homeless and you tell the homeless ones that they are taking more than their fair share from the tree you have chosen to blind yourself. That tree of culture is no longer the sapling of Yggdrasil that kept your ancient ancestors hopeful when winter threatened their crops and, by extension, their lives. You are talking of a cold and calculating civilization that, at it's core, would have been unphased if you had never existed. Perhaps, for one of the untouchables, the best that they could ever contribute is a self made meaning and a thoughtful contribution that is only possible after their limited, problematic preconception is shattered by a peak at enlightenment through the tools that they had been granted to find it.

Sure, psychedelics are not for everyone, but that is a critique of the person, not the tool.
>>
Just focus on the jams man
>>
I hate boomer culture so much. I hope you realize that the entirety of the bullshit you're spouting is the result of boomer trash in the 50s and 60s taking a variety of Eastern religion and spiritual practices and dragging them through the muck of their fucked up romanticist belief system.

And there's nothing more embarrassing than some child parroting their nonsense like you're doing here.
>>
>>38359428
That is such a cop out to pigeon hole his entire argument because it aligns with eastern beliefs. Just because two ideas intersect doesnt mean one copied the other. To me it seems like youre threatened by the idea, so you try to devalue it by calling it an imposter... You've probably never even tried a hallucination
>>
>>38358392
>Their answer to the struggle of life is a weak "just relax, maaaan," instead of the more heroic and creative approach of the stronger-willed. This is just another form of hedonistic nihilism. And this isn't even mentioning their parasitic selfishness, which is ironic since they would characterize themselves as being for the most part quite selfless, thanks to their ego-shattering experiences induced by psychedelics. They take the fruits from the blood-soaked branches of the tree of culture while refusing to water it with their own blood as their ancestors have for millennia, some even wishing to uproot the whole damn thing.

This a good point, but I don't see a society on this planet worthy of my sacrifice and blind cooperation. We all take advantage of the fruits of the world, only man turns around and says "you owe me!"
>>
interesting, makes sense with what i've observed. i always wanted a more masculine, hyper-creative culture to come from psychedelics, as opposed to the egalitarian, feminine and tolerant culture.

I don't agree that the pure feminine spirit is Nature and passivity-- Nature is hierarchical and ruthless and in no way egalitarian.
>>
>>38358392
I have never met anybody who was interested in these "psychedelics" and who was also a normal, well-adjusted, decent member of society.

Are these drugs making people insane or are insane people attracted to them? All I know is that when I find out that a person has done these substances, I make sure to keep him away from my family... who knows when he'll have one of his "flashbacks" and start eating people's faces off thinking ithey're made of Laffy Taffy. You can't trust users like this, very scary and dangerous!

We need to go back to the days when doing these drugs once is enough to qualify you as legally insane, and then we can place legal restrictions on them and closely monitor them to make sure everyone is safe.
>>
>>38360474
disclaimer, i don't use psychedelics or illegal drugs in general, however:
>we need to go back to the days when doing these drugs is enough to qualify you as insane
what are you talking about? Doctors sold LSD commercially in 1947 under the name of Delysid
>>
>>38358360
yeah bro. once I become fully realized, im going to build a new society. a highly spiritual one. an atlantis/lemuria 2.0

my use of psychedelics have led me down this path.

though I think Alan watts is boring and Terrance McKenna is pretentious
>>
File: lqb.jpg (2KB, 92x92px) Image search: [Google]
lqb.jpg
2KB, 92x92px
>>38360572
dont fall for the me mee
>>
You don't really understand post-modernism do you? I'm guessing you started using it as a buzzword after listening to Peterson?
>>
>>38360695
haha
>guys we have to stop postmodernism!
>to stop the postmodernists we need to bullshit a belief in God that isn't really God but just a projection of our ideals for the sole purpose of advancing civilization
>>
>>38360572
Yeah, and so was cocaine. LSD is worse than other hard drugs in some significant ways. With the junkie, I know he'll try to steal my wallet for his fix, but the acid fiend might attempt to stab me out of the blue to release me from my Earthly prison, maaan. Nobody knows what his next motivation will be of why, not even the psych head.

The junkie is predictable; the acid burnout, who has permanently fried his brain and is now sadly brain damaged forever, is unpredictable, and that's more dangerous.
>>
>>38360777
Can you provide proof that psychadelics fry your brain after prolonged use?
>>
>>38360743

That's important because atheist don't stand a chance against believers. They need to strengthen tribe mentality because we are stronger that way as a whole, but people have lost faith in god and the government and the collective. Problem is guys like peterson want us to just put on the blindfolds again and march forward, but you have to fix the system to renew faith in it, cause I'm not gonna be a cuck who spills his blood for a country that sells out its own people.
>>
>>38360909
every successive day is seeming like Islamic technocratic sharia is the inevitable next stage in the evolution of civilization. programmed God and programmed law for the highest possible civilizational functioning. Faith mandatory, disbelief not an option
>>
File: IMG_8956.jpg (254KB, 498x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8956.jpg
254KB, 498x750px
>>38360843
Yes, they're called hippies. These victims of drug abuse literally lost their minds because they took LSD, only once in many cases too.
>>
File: IMG_0209.jpg (251KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0209.jpg
251KB, 750x500px
>>38360999
hippies were created by the CIA
>>
>>38360959

I don't see it going down that way, it seems like we're so far ahead of them in terms of power I don't see how they could topple the civilized world. I think balanced will be achieved through technology and individualism won't harm the collective as much as it does now.
>>
>>38360999
I was asking for scientific studies that show that LSD etc can fry your brain.

Even some evidence that hippes are more likely insane?

You sound like you work for the CIA dude, and no that doesn't mean smart... but brainwashed
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.