[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hate programming

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: code_quality.png (65KB, 740x258px) Image search: [Google]
code_quality.png
65KB, 740x258px
>everything I make is ugly and basic
>no one cares about what I make
>every programming suggestion feels useless or asks me to reinvent the wheel
>I get OCD when I'm trying to read carefully
>I can't even kill myself over something so trivial

Will it get better if I keep toughing it out? The feelings just got worse every year in my CS degree. Now I'm going to graduate school and my perfectionism is suffocating me. pic related is cancer because everything about this industry is cancer
>>
my degree is from a shitty university and everyone thinks they know how to program when they don't. they think recursion is mind-boggling
>>
>>38350564
Develop some creativity and come up with good ideas yourself. Mod games, mod other programs, experiment and tinker with shit just for fun and you'll get better. Not entirely sure what's even wrong though desu.

Also the industry is cancer I agree.
>>
>>38350749
I know that feel lol. Hillarious to watch them spend nights on simple programs and feel like they actually accomplished something the next day.
>>
>>38350786
It feels useless to me. Even the creative aspect doesn't appeal to me because I've gotten way better reactions from my origami than anything I've ever programmed.

>>38350813
I don't like feeling that way. I want to be impressed by the work all my friends put in, not just the super smart guys.
>>
>>38350564
Iktf op
> start learning C because why not
> realize there's no point because I'm not creative enough to put it to use
> understand OO languages but have no confidence in my work so I can't get a job
Worst part is I paid for this college diploma and did really well in school yet I feel like I know nothing and every employer knows it
>>
>>38350564
learn to 3D model and animate instead, i've done both and 3D shit is more rewarding in every way
>>
>>38350888
Stop caring so much about reactions and just program something you like. Then people may actually like it. What have you made?
>>
>>38350564
>Will it get better if I keep toughing it out?
Yes. Eventually you'll get a good feel for when and where quality really matters and when you just need something that works.
>>
When learning programming its important to just make stuff. All code you write will further your learning. If you put stuff on github there's a chance atleast one person will find it useful. Don't give up OP. Also most companies have their own style guides for code, so you'll need to adapt to them anyways.
>>
>>38350948
origami:
84-unit tricolored phizz torus and I made a top-down force-directed svg diagram for future reference
golden venture swans that form a heart with their necks, the female has a friendship bracelet for a scarf
sliceform torus
flower tower
dragon's egg
a big sonobe ball that collapsed because the sonobe unit itself is a structurally unsound piece of garbage
countless cranes, I wonder what I spent my wish on

programming:
a shitty file explorer in C#
a shitty pokemon database
a shitty webform using Java servlets
some basic math stuff in python and matlab
all of these were for course projects
>>
>>38351096
Maybe you should code stuff you actually like? Do you have a personal homepage? Do that and make a custom CRM for it
>>
>>38351028
I guess I'll just keep hacking things together for now

>>38351043
That makes me feel a lot better. Thank you
>>
>>38351274
I've had recently had problems with writing new code too. Alcohol usually helps me, so you might wanna try downing a couple of shots and writing some code. I've been procrastinating on writing a new blog backend/frontend for my personal website, but after downing some rum I'm feeling up to it.
>>
File: 1491535145227.jpg (47KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1491535145227.jpg
47KB, 700x525px
>Only programmer in 5000+ person company
>Every department hands me 20 years of code diarrhea for maintenance and updating
If I see another 2000+ line VB program written by an accountant I'm gonna fucking lose it
>>
I just can't bring myself to make anything. I used to make games before i started my cs degree. Now it's just sucked the interest out of programming as a whole for me. I start projects and never finish them, because they just feel pointless. There's nothing i can make that serves any practical function for myself that isn't already out there.
>>
>>38351096
Just take part in Github projects to get used to decent project. You can also mention such projects in your job resume.
>>38351591
>Only programmer in 5k+ person companny
I call bullshit on that. You either have quite a few externs which you don't include in your counting or you're telling bullshit.
>>
File: 1498413036334.jpg (132KB, 391x311px) Image search: [Google]
1498413036334.jpg
132KB, 391x311px
>>38351693
There was two more working with me a while ago, but they left for better jobs and there's no budget to replace them. By externs you mean contractors? Yeah, there's a few programs originally written by them, but the cheap bastards upstairs don't pay them for maintenance, so their already dubious code got kludged six ways from Sunday by my predecessors between them writing it and me getting a job there.
>>
>>38350564
I'm heading for CS too because i really liked it earlier un my life, but now it feels like a shitty idea because i actually have absolutely no skill at it, and i didnt even bother working in post of high school because i was so sure i'd be 'le genius programmer' who would be instantly hired, and now i feel like shit because i have no future and can't choose another way without disapointing my parents, as programming is now kinda the only way to have a decent job and because my father is actually a genius ''old school'' programmer (he's 60y/o and kinda lived in it since the beginning so he has really high hopes in me)
>>
>>38350564
This is 100% art and graphic design and 0% programming. Different field, buddy.

Welcome to life, very few people make anything that anyone cares about at all.

Most programming is reinventing the wheel. If you don't want to reinvent the wheel then make something unique like a video game, or get a PhD and go work on AI research problems at Google.
>>
>>38351591
Atleast you have job security for the next 5+ years
>>
>>38350564
Free yourself to do whatever. This is basically you talking shit about yourself.
I mean, nobody gives a shit about what you make so to whom exactly is your code 'ugly and basic'?
Imagine programming as a tool like a hammer. You're basically wallowing in self-pitty because you think you can't use a hammer because you can't hit a nail on the head every time.

Why should anyone give a shit? Did you make something worth giving a shit about? Do you care about other people's shit?
Did you even ask anybody "hey check out what I made it's cool right?" You probably didn't and you just assumed from the get go that what you make is inherently worthless and it's no wonder why you obviously lack motivation to do anything.
Again this is you talking shit about yourself.

Pretty much a symptom of not being willing to go deep enough (itself a symptom of perfectionism)
And what you call reinventing a wheel is probably a tool or concept that you just refuse learn because you didn't invent it yourself.
You should be able to write sorting algorithm without relying on built-in arr.sort() but you won't invent the sorting algorithm yourself.

Not judging you OP, I've been through it myself.
>>
Im five years in professionally (like ten total) and Im just about done. Teaching myself hacking and getting into security.

I think only like 1% of the population has what it takes to become a 10/10 programmer. You need to be really logical, really creative, organized, and have the work ethic to put in the time outside of work.
>>
>>38353100
>I think only like 1% of the population has what it takes to become a 10/10 programmer.
this desu senpai. which fucking sucks because i really want to be good at this. no matter what anybody tells me about my code to me its always shit. even if it gets the job done to me it's just not good enough. I also know people who can program like crazy. They can read the docs for some brand new api/library and completely understand it. i don't want to be below average at one of the few things i enjoy.
>>
>>38353491
If you enjoy it don't worry about it. You can get pretty wealthy as a B- programmer.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.