[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

programming is the perfect robot hobby

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 304
Thread images: 28

File: 1496340771026.png (69KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1496340771026.png
69KB, 600x600px
Why don't you learn programming, robots?
>>
I'm a brainlet, no any other reasons really.
>>
>>38345292
You don't have to be intelligent to learn programming. I'm doing it and I have average intelligence. You just need to work and keep working even if it's difficult.
For fuck's sake, millions of Pajeets are getting into programming and I guarantee a lot of them are dumber than you.
>>
is computer engineering related? I was thinking about trying a uni degree on that
>>
>>38345349
Yeah, you'll learn programming in CE too.
>>
File: 1497240005105.jpg (136KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1497240005105.jpg
136KB, 480x360px
>>38345263
But I know C. Problem is, not sure wat do with it
>>
File: 1499912087233.png (113KB, 326x315px) Image search: [Google]
1499912087233.png
113KB, 326x315px
>>38345263
Because I fucking hate programming. It's boring and makes me want to kill myself.
>>
File: 1498757725215.png (660KB, 2652x1844px) Image search: [Google]
1498757725215.png
660KB, 2652x1844px
>>38345795
>not sure wat do with it
Try pic related?
>>38345812
>It's boring
Why do you find it boring? I agree that it's not very exciting at the beginning when you learn about control flow and variables, but once you become able to do more than just print text on a terminal, it becomes pretty cool.
>>
File: 1499958388558.jpg (123KB, 942x943px) Image search: [Google]
1499958388558.jpg
123KB, 942x943px
>>38345309
Not the guy you responded to but here's my take.
I do try to learn things every now and again. It's difficult though. I have a pretty decent sysadmin knowledge level, and can operate websites pretty easily. But I'm terrible at programming. Shit's too complex.

I've tried learning python, gave up.
I've tried learning PHP, I'm on the verge of giving up.
I've tried learning Rails, and I've gave up there as well.

Programming is not as intuitive as using a tool on a FreeBSD system. But that's to be expected, I suppose.

C/C++ on the other hand, those are incredibly hard. Like, insanely hard.

I also suck at mathematics, so that doesn't help me at all.

>But you don't need math in prog!
Yeah, you do.
>>
>tfw good at python
>tfw good at maths
>>
The problem with programming is that I never know what to program.
>>
>>38345263
I hate programming
I study physics instead
>>
>>38345795
Yeah this too. I have a moderate understanding in HTML and CSS, but in order to make anything interesting I need either JavaScript, PHP, or Node.
>>
>>38345845
>It's difficult though.
What exactly do you find so difficult that it makes you give up?
It's normal for it to not be intuitive at first. When you start out and do exercises, you struggle, look at the solution and feel like you could never come up with this yourself, right?
It just takes a lot of practice. You can't git gud in less than a year.
>insanely hard
Have you tried learning C with K&R? I think C is the best language to start with precisely because it's tedious and forces you to pay attention to what you do. Python and Ruby are undeniably easier.
>Yeah, you do.
You don't need high-level math.
If you're a sysadmin, have you tried looking into Perl, or even bash, to automate tasks?
>>38345875
See >>38345837. You could also contribute to existing projects.
>>38345880
That's cool too.
>>
Almost done with my comp eng degree here, it is the perfect robot hobby if you actually enjoy the shit. But chances are you wont cause to actually be employable you have to learn some advanced shit, at which point it stops being programming and starts being more like a math class/problem. Like for this summer class im about to finish it was nothing but fucking GRAPHS and writing proofs for algorithms to do shit in said GRAPH. But if youre a dropout/failed math major then this shit will be easy mode for you.
>>
>>38345837
>Why do you find it boring?
I can't really answer that other than saying that I just find it unstimulating. I generally don't have a need to program things, and when I do it's just a means to an end. Not that I am an experienced programmer, my experience is limited to using C and FORTRAN to do physics coursework.
>>
>>38345845
What do you think is hard about C/C++?
C is the first language we learned at uni.
C is actually pretty 'easy', because it is so simple. No objects, you can entirely leave out struct in the beginning, the only thing which requires some practice is allocating the memory.
>>
But learning programming takes really long time until you have marketable skills and programming for its own sake is increadibly boring.

I only know Matlab and Python and some C++ and only to the degree that I needed for classes and none of this is going to be usefull for a job.
>>
>>38345263
I am for the third time but I'll probably forget everything again and I'll never learn a useful amount.
>>
>>38345942
What fucking job requires proofs of your program? Most programming jobs are just designing the program and coding it. The proofs are just writing test cases.
Real proving is probably only done at colleges, or some weird ass jobs.
>>
File: 1497217119917.jpg (46KB, 445x593px) Image search: [Google]
1497217119917.jpg
46KB, 445x593px
>>38345263
I can't install jupyter notebook, python and please don't tell me to use anaconda because I don't trust that jewish package, I just want to pip install what I need please help.
>>
Because I'm learning to draw instead.
>>
>>38345263
What do I do with programming though? I know a little bit of python, but I don't know what I would do with it for fun.
>>
File: 1476986448928.png (302KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1476986448928.png
302KB, 1920x1080px
>>38345942
>to actually be employable you have to learn some advanced shit
I wasn't really talking about the employment aspect, but even that is untrue from what I've seen.
You can be a mid-tier fullstack developer and still get a job relatively easily.
The jobs that require actual proofs and high-level math are in research, ML, or HFT. And I'm not even sure about the latter.
>>38345953
>takes really long time until you have marketable skills
About a year, depends on the person though.
>increadibly boring
Well yeah, fizzbuzz gets old fast. Programming useful stuff is exciting though.
>>38345971
You have to keep at it and not give up when faced with difficulty.
>>38346001
That's good. My post was mainly aimed towards robots who don't know what to do.
>>38346031
See >>38345837 or pic related.
>>
>>38345951
The problem with C/C++ is it has very few standard GUI or graphics libraries. All you have is cout/printf without a library
>>
>>38345979
Wasnt saying you need to write proofs for your job, just that if youre not good at math youre probably not going to go very far in programming.

Though I imagine top tier companies like microsoft probably requires proofs for every new project/implementation
>>
>>38345994
Jupyter notebook is only a teaching or a presentation tool, nobody uses it for real work.
>>
>>38346046
You can do literally anything with C++. C is pretty barebones but C++ has everything you could possibly need.
>>
>>38346031
I don't know Python, I chose Perl as my scripting language. I usually build bots/scrapers with it. There's money to be made doing so.
>>
>>38346039
I don't give up I just take programming as elective courses and then don't take another one.
>>
>>38346048
>good at math
You need to be logical, but what do you mean by "good at math"? Most programmers don't have to use anything else than basic math.
>>
What type of development is most needed now? I know core programming concepts and I had to write lots of small programms for research like numerical computations.
>>
>>38346071
What can you do with bots/scrapers? Is fun to make them? Also how long would it take to get to the point where I could do that.
>>
>>38346072
Learn on your own. Pick up a good book and learn by yourself. Once you're done, pick up another, more advanced book, until you can actually build useful things.
>>38346071
>I don't know Python, I chose Perl
Absolutely based, Perl is great.
>>38346098
The hottest thing right now is web stuff done with JS. People are also getting interested in WebAssembly. I don't know much about web development but there's certainly money to be made there.
Aside from that, security, ML and "big data" are blowing up.
>>
>>38346046
Happily, I fucking hate GUI programming. Dragging around boxes in your editor and hope they fall in the right place.
>>38346048
Well, "good" programmers are probably good at math, but there are tons of applications where advanced math is not needed.
Like e.g. working with a database.
>>
>>38345924
> high level math
Depends on what you are doing.
matrices are used in graphics
general proof logic helps find the best algorithms
statistical understanding helps one use random number generators
data mining uses bayesian classifiers and dimension reduction (eigenvalues)
CS is basically just a logical extension of boolean mathematics.
>>
File: 1493284194330.jpg (3KB, 125x112px) Image search: [Google]
1493284194330.jpg
3KB, 125x112px
>>38346049
I was asking how to install it. I don't care if nobody uses it, useless faggot.
>>
>>38346134
You're right, but as I said, most programmers don't NEED to use most of those things, and when they do, they don't need to have an extensive background in those particular subjects.
Good programmers know why things work how they do, which is why a math background helps, but isn't mandatory.
As you said though
>Depends on what you are doing
>>
>>38346066
If you have a third party library. ANSI standards do not supply much in the way of graphics.
>>
>>38346187
>If you have a third party library
What's wrong with that?
>>
Because it's too hard and I'll never be good at it. Also it's boring.
>>
>>38346250
>too hard and I'll never be good at it
It's like anything else. To get good, you have to practice a lot.
>>
>>38346209
It makes C++ more for "serious" projects. All that project setup to include extra libraries and include directories gets tiresome after a few times, especially when languages like Java have standard, documented graphics and UI libraries.
>>
>>38346268
Yeah but I give up on everything so theres no point in trying.

I don't really want to learn anything. I just want to be able to say I've done/accomplished things.
>>
>>38346293
C++ and Java are useless for smaller projects though.
I'd rather have third party libraries than Java's bloated mess.
>>
>>38346209
It also depends on what IDE one using. Some IDEs are pretty smart about including game, graphics and interface libraries, and have a beefy plugin system.
>>
>>38346125
Well, most of the time I'm either collecting data (scraping) or sending data (like bots spamming shit). I usually do it for the money, although it is fun too.

As far as experience goes, it really depends on the targeted website. Some websites have public APIs that you can use to work with their data. And it's a no brainer to scrape those sites (you just need to learn about REST and you're set). Some other sites go out of their way to make your life hell. Those can be really complicated.

Try to build simple things. Like a script that searches for keywords from a twitter user. Or a bot to post silly shit to Reddit. Their APIs are well documented. And it beats doing boring exercises from books.
>>
>>38346250
> boring
Not for me. I like seeing the computer do complex things exactly as I specify every time.
>>
>>38346294
>Yeah but I give up on everything
I used to be like that too. I gave up three times on programming before actually doing it.
If you don't have a goal in mind, you'll give up. You need to find something.
>I just want to be able to say I've done/accomplished things
I don't really know what advice to give you about that.
>>
>>38346397
>I don't really know what advice to give you about that.
Tell me it's okay to kill myself
>>
>>38346426
Do you have nothing to look forward to? Nothing you enjoy at all?
Even if it's something like shitty seasonal anime or whatever.
>>
>>38345263
I do ROMhacks and self learned assembly to do so. I'm absolutely determined to finish it, but idk if it'll be anything I can put down in a resume/portfolio.
>Hey [Future Employer], check out my autistic ROMhack.

>>38345845
>Yeah, you do.
But it's so basic. The most complex math you'd have to learn is learning hex and bit math.
Although I will grant you that bit math is hard to wrap your head around at first.

>>38345924
>You could also contribute to existing projects.
How would I go about finding these projects?

>>38346294
You know what really helps? Finding an emotion to push you along.
I actually learned ASM because my friend knew how to, but I didn't and that made me so envious. I was pretty much consumed with shame and anger. I basically did it just to get even.
>>
>>38346712
Do you need to know ASM for romhacks?
>>
>>38346712
>How would I go about finding these projects?
GitHub?
>>
>>38346721
Not for the typical ones, especially if the game in question already has a major hacking scene around it and has tools already developed like Final Fantasy Tactics does. It's usually as easy as ticking boxes, maybe some experimentation.
But if you want to do really high level shit, you want to go off the beaten path, or working with a game that doesn't have a hacking circle around it, then yeah, you're going to have to start learning.

>>38346744
Oh, duh.
>>
I've just started C a week ago and I'm struggling. Is this normal?
I just can't make programs that require complex processes. I understand solutions but I can't do it myself.
What do?
>>
>>38346817
>Is this normal?
Yes.
>What do?
Keep practicing.
>>
>>38345263
I don't know absolutely nothing about programming, but I'd love to start learning about, where do I start?
>>
>>38346793
What did you use to learn assembly? Is it hard?
What else is ASM used for aside from processors and romhacks?
>>
I started with C#, have no regrets
>>
>>38346817
C is not a good beginner language, don't listen to /g/. Even C++ is better than C.

C is useless these days except for embedded systems and writing an OS. All you will learn from C is that strings are really character arrays. Switch over to C++, you will learn faster. You can come back to C later if you choose to.
>>
>>38345837
This image is retarded this whole thread is retarded
>>
>>38346856
>where do I start?
Learn C. Use "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie. It's difficult, sometimes tedious, but you'll learn a lot, and starting with C is a good way to understand how a computer works (as opposed to higher level languages like Python that teach you abstraction but don't tell you what's actually happening).

If you finish K&R, you'll have good basics. After that, you can branch off to whatever you want, and you'll have the required knowledge to know what you want to do.
You might want to get into object oriented programming with C++, and learn how to automate basic tasks and write short programs easily with a scripting language (Perl, Python, Ruby, Lua).
I would also recommend a functional language at some point, because it'll force you to think differently. You can learn Scheme with SICP/The Little Schemer, Haskell with Lipovaca's book, or Common Lisp with Land of Lisp
>>
>>38346835
Will things eventually become easier, and will I learn to "think in algorithms" at some point? What I'm struggling with isn't syntax, it's reasoning.
>>38346948
/g/ recommended Python when I asked them.
I'm learning C because I'm interested in low level programming actually. I'd like to know how stuff works on a more fundamental level.
Does my problem come from the language though?
>>
>>38347047
>will I learn to "think in algorithms"
Nobody really does that. Programming will come to you more instinctively but nobody ever writes a complex program from scratch without ever looking up some things.
>>
>>38345263
I'm a beginner, took some classes on it but frankly I find it hard to consistently include in my routine. I usually just program whenever I figure out I can save time in the future by doing so. It definitely bothers me that I've done so little, but I'm not sure where to pick up from. Don't think I have enough knowledge.
>>
>>38347047
>Does my problem come from the language though?

Probably half of the struggle yeah. Some of it is just the natural "beginners hurdle', the other half is that C is a primitive language by todays standards. You are really not doing yourself too many extra favors in the long run by starting with C. You can always learn a more simple language and then come back to it later when you understand some basic concepts.
>>
>>38347097
>beginners hurdle
How long does it take to overcome that?
>C is a primitive language by todays standards
I thought it was essential for anything related to OSes or security.
>when you understand some basic concepts
I understand if, else, and loops perfectly and I've got a pretty good grasp on variable types I think. Even pointers don't seem that hard for now.
My problem really is about constructing and building programs.
>>
>>38347148
>How long does it take to overcome that?
Just depends on the person

>I thought it was essential for anything related to OSes or security.
You're right, it is - but it is not practical for most applications these days, or making it easy to come up with hobby projects while you're still learning.
>>
>>38347201
Well I'm too deep in it to switch to something else now anyway.
Is there a preferable learning method? For now I do simple exercises like printing charts in the command line but I always get stuck and have to look up solutions. I always make sure I understand the solutions but is that enough?
>>
Holy fuck this thread is full of normies.

>C and C++ are insanely hard
>That shitty meta "You need to know math" meme
>Unironically using standard library
>C++ has everything you need
>Github is good
>Programming takes practice
>C is tedious
>Nobody really uses assembly
>(((objects)))

Next you'll be telling people to learn web languages. Fucking cucks.
>>
>>38346860
I learned off of guides said romhacking site posted and I also bought a book because I still learn the best from physical books. Mind you there are different ASMs and the one I learned,
MIPS is outdated as shit. Like it was outdated in 1998.

>Is it hard?
Yeah, it's difficult because it's not very human readable.

I think modern ASM would probably be easier to work with, but idk what it's modern applications would be today. I learned ASM strictly to ROMhack.
>>
>>38347304
Go home, /g/entoobeard.
>>
>>38345263
i'm a math undergrad and good at math but for some reason i literally can't into learning programming.
>>
>>38347304
but everyone told me you could learn things if you try hard enough.
>>
>>38345880
Computational physicist here, if you don't know programming, you're fucked. Especially if you're a theoreticist.
>>
>>38347365
That one was mostly a casualty of rage, but (((practice))) is still pretty fucking gay.

>>38347337
>Linux is good
/g/ is demonstrably cucked.

>>38347340
If you're taking pure math then you're autistic enough to program. But the skills are mostly not transferable.
>>
>>38345263
For me its that I just don't know what I would use programming for, example, i've tried to learn to draw because I've seen artists I want to be like. I play guitar because I want to play the songs I like. But I don't know what the purpose is with programming. How do I practice it when I don't know what to make? The closest I came to learning is Game Maker but thats all in GML which is pretty useless.
>>
>>38347304
>C++ has everything you need
It doesn't?
>Github is good
What's bad about it?
How do you get good without practicing?
>C is tedious
More so than scripting languages, isn't it?
>>
>>38347304
Indeed, just yolo java and nobrain
>>
>>38345263
Because I'm too stupid for math and I'm a tard who can barely work a computer.
>>
>>38345263
I hate technology. Wish I could go live innawoods
>>
>>38347304
>>Programming takes practice
So how are you supposed to learn?
>>
File: how to become a programmer.jpg (337KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
how to become a programmer.jpg
337KB, 2048x1365px
I do lots of programming. I like to make things while staying comfy at my computer
>>
>>38347425
>>38347340
To be clear: If you are good at math, then you will obviously be highly capable at writing software that solves problems that can be modeled mathematically, but for the majority of the code you write math is primarily a meme. E.g., to develop games you "need" calculus, but not really.

>>38347483
Introspection. That's enough on its own to bring the language down a peg or three, but metaprogramming in general is absolute cancer in C++. Templates are not a good implementation of the concept of generics. For god's sake, even C# does it better. Worse yet, the cancer of templates metastasized into the rest of the language.

Github as a host for code is fine (as fine as a website could even be), but it's full of the normie cancer you see in places like Hacker News and Stack Overflow.

You're right, the practice one was autism.

>C is more tedious than scripting languages
Your idea of tedious is probably memory management or something, in which case yes, writing software does happen to get easier when you ignore actually solving problems.

>>38347601
That's not your fault at all. Most of the software running on your computer is shit, and typically nobody has written a decent alternative.
>>
>>38347683
What would you recommend to someone who wants to learn programming?
>>
I've tried, and I couldn't. I'm too stupid for math, I can't think logically, I was even too retarded to learn basic stuff such as HTML.
>it's like learning a foreign language

Yeah, can't do that either. I took 3 years of german classes and 3 years of french classes and I didn't learn anything. The only thing I remember is how to say "I haven't got my homework" in german.
>>
>to stupid in general (drank self stupid, now have shit memory, shit concentration, get very frustrated)
>not very good at math (could barely do calc 1-3, didn't actually understand any of them at any point)
>not that detail oriented (like problem solving and breaking things down but get super fucking mad when everything doesn't work because of a comma or bracket)
>>
>>38345263
I have a math degree so I figure I can handle programming, but it just feels like I go on circles with it. I learn the basics and then people just go
>okay now build something!
It's the same as art teachers who teach you basic shapes and then tell you to draw everything you see. The leap is enourmous and I've never made it.
I do have a lot of free time and some newfound confidence so maybe I could just throw myself at it until something sticks, but we'll see.
>>
I know a little c and c++ from school but it's all boring and very basic shit. How do I develop my skills in a way that's not boring? what would you recommend for someone who is intermediate beginner.
>>
>>38345263
I'm wageslaving as a Java developer. Java is the language of the modern lifeless salaryman. I feel like a part of me dies with each line of code i write....
What's "fun" language is your opinion. I've set my eyes on Phyton as a Hobbylanguage because it seems like you can do all kind of things with this language but at the same time it's such easy language that it seems as if it's a language for retards....
>>
If you are absolutely new to programming, try a site like codecademy, they have tutorials on various languages and start with the basics. It does however go very slow and a lot of repetitions.
>>
>>38347779
Learning the syntax of the language is 0.001% of what makes a good programmer. Read software construction books like design patterns and clean code.
>>
>>38347702
>>38347806
Handmade Hero, start from the very beginning, where he explains compilation and the very basics etc.

>>38347826
I feel for you.

>>38347838
(((design patterns)))
>>
>>38347702
If you're just starting out, then you might want to go to codecademy like the other guy said in order to learn fundamental stuff like syntax and maybe control flow in a cushy language like Python, but I do recommend quickly switching to Handmade Hero once you are familiar with writing a line of code.
>>
>>38347852
Any advice for >>38346817? Should I just keep going until it clicks
>>
3 reasons:

1. I'm a stupid fuck
2. I'm a lazy fuck
3. I've tried taking it up many times and I still find it boring
>>
>>38345263
If optimization is achieving the same goal with less code, then the ultimate optimization is realizing that most tasks don't even require a computer in the first place. Building physical objects is the real redpill, programming is for brainlets. Go outside and make something out of metal and wood.
>>
what's a good textbook to learn python for a programming beginner?
>>
>>38348046
O'Reilly's series is good
>>
>>38347930
Well, if you're writing C you're probably in a better position to handle legitimate complexity than most of the Java/web cucks et al., but just create a simple problem to solve (like iterating over an array of scalars [which is what 95% of programming really is {ignore the oop cucks}]).
>>
>tfw math major but find programming boring as shit

programmers are the true autists, not pure mathfags
>>
>>38348112
>I-I'm not autistic, you are!
>>
>concentration problems
>bad at math

i tried learning python but gave up but I'm willing to try again because programming sounds comfy
>>
>>38348131
Programming doesn't involve any math beyond basic arithmetic, unless the program you're writing is mathematically oriented.
>>
>>38348112
fellow mathfag, yeah this is true
>>
>>38345263
I've just got my CompSci degree a few weeks ago. Looking for a job now. Hopefully, few years later I'll be with decent experience and will move out of this second world shithole to some better place like America.
>>
>>38348161
well then what should i do about the concentration problem ?
>>
>>38348073
Precisely, I'm learning C because I want to start with the fundamentals so that the rest is easier.
>create a simple problem to solve
Right now I want to create a text-based graph that prints out the frequencies of different characters in its input.
Aside from the initial getchar() != EOF loop and a very vague idea of how the program should be (an array that contains 255 values for all possible ASCII characters, iterate over it to register how many times a given character appears), I don't have a fucking clue what I should do.
It just doesn't come to me
>>
>>38348179
>Moving from second world shithole to a third world one.
>>
>>38348185
Amphetamines, of course.
>>
Which is the best language to learn first? How do I learn to program?
>>
>>38348191
You basically summarized the whole program? What part do you not understand?
While(!notEmpty){
convert character to int
array[intValue]++;
}
>>
I just can't understand it. I've looked at so many tutorials. It doesn't stick. I just can't remember what everything does.
Speaking as a guy with a master's degree in >linguistics
Guess we all have different types of intelligence
>>
>>38348035
Building shit would only be interesting if the shit moves, and not just any toy car either.

Something like a mechanical puzzle that opens giant stone slab doors.
>>
Actually the normies are slowly taking this over with the "Learn To Code" meme
>>
>>38348271
Well yeah they want more people coding so they can pay less for the expertise.
>>
What are some must sites that can help me improve my coding skills apart from github and stackoverflow or random googling?
>>
>>38348191
Well, to get the frequencies, you have to sum up the number of occurrences, as you said.
The trick here is you can index directly into your occurrences array using the character you just obtained from getchar().
occurences[c] += 1;

>>38348238
>tfw I will never have the time or discipline to pursue a linguistics degree
>tfw I come to grips with the fact that I probably only ever liked it for the le cool etymology memes
>>
>>38348237
>>38348319
Apparently the solution looks like this https://pastebin.com/4JXYgZzf but I haven't thought of even half that shit. I tend to be overly concise so my programs end up really short but they don't work.

I have a for loop inside the main while that initializes all values in the array to 0, but I don't know how I should proceed from there or how things should be structured.
>>
>>38348244
There's plenty of interesting things to build. Make a motorcycle, make a camera, make an irrigation system for your garden, etc. I'm assuming you aren't a boring-ass boomer, so you don't have to stick to model trains and wooden shelves.
>>
>>38348200
> most of the guys here are Americans
> most of their problems are either "I want a girlfriend baww" or "I can't eat caviar every day while working at Walmart"
> third world
Nigga, people here who live in the capital and have good postitions are having salaries equal to that of a murrican burger flipper. And everything costs almost the same save for water, electricity and basic food like bread.
>>
>>38348238
>master's degree in linguistics
Turns out you lack all types.
>>
>>38348285
They've spent years taking a culture that used to praise truly liberal values of "easy user experience" and "performance", and forcing upon it an influx of normies from far away lands with their own entirely incompatible regressive culture of "profitability" and "easy developer experience".
Fucking jews.
>>
>>38348271
>>38348285
>>38348433
Normies are learning webdev with shitty bootcamps, not actual programming. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>38348442
Trouble is, all of these normies are demanding that their web non-skills be taken seriously. Worse yet, WOMEN are doing it, which means they're going to leverage feminists' social influence.
>>
>>38348364
First off, it seems the cucks at your school decided they should withhold from you the important fact that society has progressed since 1989 and nowadays you can make declarations inline:

int height = 0;

for (int i = 0; ...

Secondly, you don't need the first loop, you can just write:

int len_freq[94] = {0};

This sets the first element to 0, and the rest are implicitly initialized (also to 0).

Third, this program is way complicated simply as a result of wanting to count frequencies of only 94 of the 255 possible ASCII values.
I suggest counting everything, and then simply not printing the frequencies you don't care about at the end.

But, if you do keep that character arithmetic, I suggest using the character values to make things more readable. For example,
x = y - 'A';
will convert 'A' to its ascii value and then treat it like a number.
>>
>>38348574
I'm using k&r actually, the solution I posted was the first one I found that seemed to work.

you're right, that solution seems too convoluted and printing only 94 of 255 characters is pretty stupid.
>convert 'A' to its ascii value
How do I obtain the ASCII value of the variable c to which I apply getchar()?
Only one array seems like it's not enough. I have to store the frequencies in an array but I need something to link the ASCII value of c to its associated position in the array right?
Like for example if getchar() returns a 0, I need to increment the 48th position in the array. Sorry if I'm being dumb
>>
I'm self learning programming and wondering at what point am I good enough to start building my own apps, games and shit?

getting a bit bored of making console-only programs
>>
>>38345263
I just started attending a bootcamp. I'm probably the worst in the class though. I need to actually study or I'll get kicked.
>>
>>38348873
That's a good question
Starting from when are you a good programmer
>>
>>38348873
What language are you using? Find a game library in it and go on youtube/get a book on it. That should get you more or less up to speed.
>>
>>38348865
Well that's the key part, there's already an implicit link between ASCII values and the array indices, because character values are secretly just numeric values.
If getchar() sets variable `c` to the '0' character, just do `freq[c] += 1;` because `c` has been set to the numerical value of 48 (which as you said is the number for the '0' character).

Also, why are you using K&R???

>>38348873
"Apps" are just a shitty meme. Personally, I would advise to completely stay away from mobile software, that whole culture has been bluepilled beyond salvation.
Anyway, SDL2 is the only non-cucked game library.
>>
>>38348995
>just do `freq[c] += 1
getchar() automatically gets the ascii value of its input? Fuck I guess I skipped over that. I'll see if I can come up with a solution using that, thanks.
>why are you using K&R
Isn't it the reference for C? Everyone says it's good to learn it (not so much for advanced concepts like libraries, just for the standard stuff)
>>
>>38349052
Oh god, I wasn't aware people suggest that others use K&R to learn C. I guess that's why so many people think C hasn't changed since then... Well, I'd suggest you try some other, newer, resource.

Also yeah, getchar() returns the ASCII value because what else would it return? That's what a character is, an ASCII value.
(And don't somebody come in here talking about unicode, I'm trying to make things simple here.)
>>
Is it possible to get a job in this field without college or should I just go ?
>>
>>38349181
I was also hoping I wouldn't have to go, but my (((friends and family))) told me you need a degree to get a job.

You know, after that professional programmer came out and said you didn't.
>>
>>38349167
>I'd suggest you try some other, newer, resource
I've downloaded some O'reilly handbook on C, is that fine? Is k&r really bad for the basics?

>what else would it return
yeah, that's right.
I think I've figured out the basic principle behind the program (haven't done the histogram part yet) but it returns strange values when I run it with some random .txt as an input.
Like -1901527013 for ASCII value 216, which is nonsense. I don't understand why it does this.
https://pastebin.com/2fDJV92Y
>>
File: Please Respond!.jpg (181KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
Please Respond!.jpg
181KB, 750x750px
>>38349167
Can I get a recommendation to replace K&R? I hear everyone praise it but I hear an equal amount of people telling me it's outdated
>>
>>38348873
Go ahead and make a console game. RPG or some shit like that.
Some days ago I made a 3d raytracing engine that can render wireframes in ascii.
>>
>>38349181
Really depends. Honestly if you think you can do it, I'd suggest going for a bootcamp instead, depending where you live.

Imo (even though I'm just starting out) I think to get a job theyd rather see you have practical skills and the ability to apply what you know so seeing you went to a bootcamp (which is usually just a couple of months but is an intensive 9-5 sched) is just better.

Some of them like Fullstack boast a high 90s% job placement rate after graduation.
>>
>>38348873
>I'm self learning programming and wondering at what point am I good enough to start building my own apps, games and shit?

From the very beggining, after writing your first Hello World.

You fell for the structured learning meme.
>>
If you were to learn a language today, what would it be? I've got the general idea about it, I went to britcollege and had a shite tutor.
>>
>>38349181
check the jobs offers

you need it in 90% of the cases
>>
I'm like the other anons I tried but I couldn't concentrate very well
>>
>>38349316
I don't really remember how I personally learned, but it's common knowledge that it's hard to break out of bad habits, and this applies to the ones K&R instills. I haven't read a programming book, so I can't really do better at finding one than you can.
>>
>>38349767
>the ones K&R instills
How can the creators of C instill bad habits for programming in C?
What kind of bad habits are they? And how do you learn good habits anyway
>>
>>38345263
>learned programming
>got a 'respected' degree
>got a decent job
>still asian
>still short

and here I am, at least I have the spare cash to partake in sex tourism
>>
>>38349786
Turns out the creators of the language didn't create a very good language, so in the time since now and 1973, people got rid of the bad parts and replaced them with marginally-better things.

Again, I haven't read a programming book, so maybe newer versions of "The Bible" aren't as terrible as the original version was, but I've seen some code written in K&R C and it's awful.
The longest-surviving C tumor has been the declare-at-the-top thing. Obviously it has historical reasons to exist, but nowadays, not teaching new programmers about declare-anywhere should be considered unethical.
>>
>>38349917
>I've seen some code written in K&R C and it's awful.
Like what makes it awful for example?
>declare-at-the-top
You mean declaring all variables at the top of the program? Is it bad because it makes the program less readable?
>>
File: about-post.png (74KB, 497x280px) Image search: [Google]
about-post.png
74KB, 497x280px
>>38345263
started in early 2015, now its mid 2017 and forgotten most of the what i did - majorly only html on codecademy.

want to learn python, c languages for Unity engine and java(script). i have the time and interest just need to resources to begin, info, books, sites etc what do
>>
File: memory_safety.jpg (292KB, 500x1356px) Image search: [Google]
memory_safety.jpg
292KB, 500x1356px
>>38345845
>C
>Hard
Oh boy....
>>
>>38349942
Old K&R C would have function headers like this:

main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char **argv;
{ ...

That right there is terrible. It's just stupid. There's no reason to do that, and notice that main() doesn't even have a return type there. There was this thing called implicit-int that was weird and dumb.

And yes, declaring everything at the top of a function means now you're dumping a bunch of weird info on the reader at the beginning, and when you actually use the variable the reader has to go back and check its type etc. and it gets confusing.

>>38350003
since you mentioned Unity, I assume you want to make games. If you actually want to get a game done, then yeah, I suggest you learn C# and just deal with the dumb stuff Unity pushes on you. But if you want to learn how to program games, you should go with the industry standard, C++. (And do some research on how the industry actually uses C++, because it's not the "modern" stuff taught elsewhere.)

Don't ever do web languages.
>>
>>38350112
I'm using K&R second edition and I haven't seen the argc/argv stuff, though there is the implicit int (but thankfully the compiler returns a warning when you declare main() instead of int main() now)
>>
>>38350059
Go back to writing Rust and come back when you've released a piece of software that people actually use.
>>
I agree, programming is love, programming is life.

That's all I've been doing all day erry day, and I got a nice jerb after being NEET for 8 years because of my open source contributions.

The job is really comfy, it's literally like I were NEET, I wake up at 1/2 PM, get to work, watch speedruns on Twitch while working, drink all the free beer I want, and then I go home when I get bored.

Living the better dream.
>>
>>38350197
What does your job entail?
I thought sysadmin jobs were the comfiest.
>>
>>38350201
I've been working here for about a month and I've mostly been working on creating or improving open source libraries we're using or are going to need.

The language we're using is currently my favorite language Rust, so it's pretty much a dream job for me.
>>
File: laughing[1].jpg (39KB, 447x326px) Image search: [Google]
laughing[1].jpg
39KB, 447x326px
>>38350226
Rust is trash. Memory safety is the software equivalent of virtue signaling.
>>
>>38350226
>Rust
I thought Rust was a meme.
>>
>>38350313
Yes. Garbage collection is a meme.
People who think you can write software by just ignoring how memory works don't know what programs do, and they result in our current dystopia where software performance is so bad that nobody can run anything at a sane speed.
>>
>>38350357
Don't all languages except C do garbage collection though? Manually handling memory is pretty rare
>>
>>38350302
Not sure if serious or not, Rust is really good.

>>38350313
It's a meme only if you listen /g/, but they don't know shit.

>>38350368
There are many non garbage collected languages, C++, Pascal, Fortran, D with @nogc, Swift (if you don't use ARC), and others.
>>
>>38350368
All languages except C are shit.

...Okay, that's just a meme, but the correlation is there: the "safer" the language, the worse the software. It's created this false dichotomy of lower/higher level languages, where the people making more expressive languages don't know how to make them run fast, so you instead of an expressivity spectrum, you get a "cushy vs. brutal" spectrum.

>>38350389
Rust has not proven itself effective at creating software. Just google "programs written in rust" and "programs written in c++", the results are embarrassing.
>>
>>38350486
Still can't tell if serious or not, I don't want to believe there people as retarded as that.
>>
>>38350486
>the "safer" the language, the worse the software
What would qualify as "brutal" languages aside from C and C++?
>cushy vs. brutal
Where do paradigms fall in all this? Are languages like Lisp, Haskell and Prolog safe?
>>
>>38350158
>Implying I use rust
Go hang out with your sjw friends on /g/
>>
>>38350519
Lisp is the ultimate cushy language. Totally elegant or whatever delusion those guys have, but it's all based around _linked lists._ Like, jesus christ, you couldn't make a worse performance mistake if you tried.
Brutal languages include asm, FORTRAN, ALGOL, etc. Notice how old they are: Because back then, they couldn't afford to waste all their performance like most languages nowadays do.

>>38350559
>Linux is good
/g/ is demonstrably cucked.
>>
>>38350643
>>Linux is good
What's a good OS then?
I use macOS so this isn't a loaded question
>>
>>38345263
>Why don't you learn programming, robots?
Because it's fucking boring.
>>
>>38350667
You're just not making fun things, or you're retarded.
>>
>>38350112
>C++.
Is true that most games are made in C++? Also how fast is it comparing to python?
Some /g/ fags suggested me learn C first and then move to C, do you agree?
I can only program procedurally btw.
>>
>>38350643
>Lisp is the ultimate cushy language.
Same for Haskell, OCaml, Prolog etc then?
>you couldn't make a worse performance mistake
Aren't functional languages useful for some things?
>FORTRAN, ALGOL
So imperative languages are the best performance-wise while functional are the worst?
>>
>>38350643
Enjoy your wangblows botnet goy.
>>
I am easily distracted and programing is the most dull shit invented in the history of man

would rather peel potatoes for pennies all day
>>
>>38350709
Just not making fun things anon, do not do exercises, those are boring as fuck, make your own programs that do things you need.
>>
File: 1499945435622.jpg (46KB, 581x467px) Image search: [Google]
1499945435622.jpg
46KB, 581x467px
>>38350112
unity anon here
i hear python is a good starting point generally for beginner programming - also if c++ is not the modern language what is now -- programming and making games are in mind, yes - but also want to gain skills that might lead to a job outside games.
>>
>>38350739

I can't even learn it. I have tried code academy a couple times and quit everytime
>>
>>38350688
>fun
There's nothing fun about programming. It's not for everyone.
>>
>>38350709
>peeling potatoes
Lmao it's quite interesting if you got a stem degree

For python fags which ide do u you use? I'm currently on pycharm but thinking of moving to a text editor, any recs with good debug? Like sublime text or atom?
>>
>>38350781
>he doesn't use vim or emacs or at the very least nano
>>
>>38350739
>made a python 5-liner for calculating savings given a index fund returning 7% and regular annual contributions from salary
>figured out the formula so even that was useless
woo
>>
>>38350773
I find it the most fun thing in the universe, I just think you're doing it wrong.
>>
File: 1443045423885.jpg (40KB, 535x577px) Image search: [Google]
1443045423885.jpg
40KB, 535x577px
>>38345263
>tfw liked programming
>took intro to data struct
>would spend hours and hours every day on assignments
>would go to office hours
>still failed assignments
>fail the class

being a brainlet is suffering
>>
>>38350805
That's boring as fuck, also pretty much useless.
>>
>>38350829
oh it was in c++ too, i really hate c++ fuck having to manage memory on your own, stupid compiler doesnt even help you.
>>
>>38350655
Mac is probably the best of the three, ironically. Linux's design is awful for various reasons, and Microsoft decided that Windows 10 should get more bloated instead of improve, now with extra surveillance. Not that I would ever switch to those jews at apple. Ubuntu one day perhaps, when they get their shit together, but it's pretty easy to turn off Windoze update (((services))) and surveillance features.

>>38350690
C++ is able to be much faster than Python, but most C++ programmers (outside of games) think "modern" c++ is good, so their code might even be as slow as average Python code.

>>38350691
>Same for Haskell, OCaml, Prolog etc then?
Yeah, mostly.
>Aren't functional languages useful for some things?
You can write software in any language, but some languages will be worse. It happens that most of the time, functional languages are worse, and nobody's really written much software in those languages anyway (and Haskell's like 40).
>So imperative languages are the best performance-wise while functional are the worst?
To be clear, computers are fundamentally imperative. Well, the extended von Neumann architecture or whatever we use nowadays is imperative at least, but then again so are Turing machines.
The point is, if your language isn't interfacing with the hardware, that's impractical almost by definition, so of course it'll be slow. So your language doesn't have to deal in reality if you don't want to, just don't expect everybody to use it.

>>38350709
Breaking: Normie doesn't know what programming is
>>
>>38350788
Showed them posted on /g/ many times but sorry anon, I'm new pyfag for now I only need a good debugger and text editor with helpful addons for python.
>>
>>38350788
Meme editors. Admit that Linux is bad.
>>
>>38350881
So what do you use, Windows 7?
>Linux's design is awful for various reasons
For example?
What do you think of BSD?
Also I heard that VMS was to be ported to x86 in the coming years. Would you use it?
>>
>>38350838
I needed it so I could delude myself with dreams of retiring in five years
>>
>>38350932
I use vim on mac, mostly because it's practical and exists on pretty much every machine no matter how remote.
>>
>>38350881
>functional languages are worse, and nobody's really written much software in those languages anyway
Why are they generally considered to be better for AI and ML? Do those things not require a procedural/imperative set of instructions?
>>
>>38350934
Linux is wrong to begin with, because it's designed around the Unix Philosophy(tm), which says that everything should be tiny little operations that string together to make big things, and the whole system is mega-scale multi-user because it's based on bell labs unix. Linux is riddled with remnants of this: Who the fuck cares about file permissions? Just give me full access by default always. (Queue somebody giving you the twenty steps on how to do that.)
This is embodied best in the Linux shell, which is one of the worst things to happen to computers ever.

Worst of all, open-source means that all problems are subject to a diffusion of responsibility, where for example you file a bug report and they say "If you want to improve it, make a commit!"

>>38350976
Most AI and ML is done by computer scientists, not programmers.
>>
>>38351088
You sound like someone who knows what he's talking about and yet you aren't, fascinating.
>>
>>38351088
>it's designed around the Unix Philosophy(tm)
But that's also the case of macOS.
>the Linux shell, which is one of the worst things
You mean because of the root user and the security issues that entails?
>>
>>38350758
Python probably is good for beginner programming, yeah.
If memory serves, I started learning programming for real when I found out that C++ is how you make games, so I just kept trying and failing to make games.
If you want to get a job outside games, that part's easy. Just cuck yourself into a Computer Science degree and let them indoctrinate you into writing Java along the way. (Companies don't like it when you actually try to make good software, because it inhibits their profitability.)
>>
I want to but I don't think there is a point. I don't have any projects I'd like to do and thus building a portfolio is basically impossible.

Also, a no-degree programmer is not safe from pajeet regardless of portfolio.
>>
>>38345263
Because I'm INFP and suck at mathematics and science
>>
>>38351161
>Also, a no-degree programmer is not safe from pajeet regardless of portfolio.

That really depends on what you do, statistically speaking the majority of CS people have absolutely no fucking idea how to actually make things.

Pajeet has a better idea as long as you can spoon feed him exactly what to do, so the specification has to basically be pseudocode he can translate to whatever the only programming language he knows is.

If you're just doing webdev or CRUD crap then yeah, Pajeet is better than you because he's cheaper and creates a product close enough to functional.

If you put pajeets to actually architect and implement something medium to big, you're in huge trouble, because even if it's for an MVP you won't be able to throw away the MVP and implement a new one while maintaining the few users you got because they will have made a huge mess.

TL;DR: just git good, pajeet and meme graduates have nothing over you.
>>
>>38351252
How do you git good
>>
>>38351270
You need to actually be interested in programming and making things, you need the passion, if you just do it to get a job, then you might end up actually getting the job, and I assure you, you'll want to kill yourself.

Without the passion you have to be a masochist to want to work as a software "engineer", software developer or code monkey, because it really isn't worth it.

Now if you do have the paassion, then getting good will come naturally because you'll be spending all your time reading books, blog posts, source code and making your own projects on top of that.

Consider this, if you have the passion, and you're NEET, you're going to spend at least 10 hours a day programming, reading about programming or thinking about programming, there's no way to not get good after that unless you're mentally challenged.
>>
>tfw work as a developper
>ADHD makes me shit tier at it
>>
>>38351347
>at least 10 hours a day programming
Fuck guess I don't have the passion then
More like I spend 2 hours per day actually working and 8 hours thinking about how I should work and planning out what I should do and learn without actually doing it
>>
>>38345263
It's tedious and boring, debugging code is the worst feeling in the universe and writing code to solve a problem you've already worked out is just... snoreeeeeee

also learning new data strcutures and how to implement them for some reason is incredibly boring to me, I'd much rather learn some new maths than programming.
>>
File: 1480141371047.jpg (90KB, 522x720px) Image search: [Google]
1480141371047.jpg
90KB, 522x720px
>>38345263
I'm learning C# and how to use unity right now. It's the first programming I've done since failing out of my uni's CS program over fucking calc 2 and it's going fairly well, after 2-3 days of it (only previous experience was 2 semesters of C) I have a broken game which is more progress than I actually made in those 2 semesters of school and I'm actually having fun working on something I want to. All it is is a shitty dungeons and dragons dungeon crawler type game but I feel like it's the start of something actually worth my time for the first time in a long time. Thank you to the anon who pushed me to start this in that new game thread on /a/ the other day, maybe I'm not as dumb as I thought
>>
>>38351452
DO IT FAGGOT. Make a game and kill your parents, you will be a better programmer than most of /g/.
>>
>>38351252
>If you put pajeets to actually architect and implement something medium to big, you're in huge trouble
my understanding is that the Jews will hire a handful of Americans/natives/whites to clean up after the army of pajeets they hired makes a mess. pajeet drivers, if you will.
>>
>>38351385
Stop planning, start doing. That's literally it.

It's just text, if it's broken you fix it. My advice is to actually start making a project, regardless of how ambitious it is. Stop reading books that try to teach you programming through retarded exercises. Stop reading tutorials. Stop doing courses.

Read code, write code. Start a project, read up what you might need to make the next function. Write code. Realize it's shit. Rewrite it from scratch. Realize it's still shit. Do it again. Repeat until it's not shit.

Is it a project that already exists but you want to make your own? Read the code of that project.

Is it something that has a standard? Read the standard, RFC or whatever, and implement it.

Just do it. It's all virtual, you don't need to buy more wood or metal when you fuck up, you just delete and start from scratch. Just do it.
>>
>>38351529
It all depends on what kind of product it is, there are some depths of technical debt where the only solution is to rewrite the whole thing from scratch and actually architect it properly.

It's almost never cost effective to pay pajeets to make things.

If it's some CRUD management bullshit system for a warehouse or whatever, anyone can do it, even pajeet. But why the fuck would you want to make that kind of thing in the first place?
>>
>>38351531
>Stop reading books that try to teach you programming through retarded exercises. Stop reading tutorials. Stop doing courses.
That sounds more fun but won't it teach me bad habits and incomplete knowledge?

For example I'd like to write a worm but I don't know jack shit about networking, security and shells, so won't I need the basics at least
>>
Android developer here, worked on some apps with 10 million + users, anything you guys want to know ?
>>
>>38351488
Thanks anon, when it's done or in a state where I'm confident enough to move on to something more ambitious I'll post it to one of those creativity/what are you making threads or agdg
>>
>>38345837
>making a C compiler
I'd rather commit suicide really.
>>
>>38351595
how much money do you actually make from having a successful meme app
how did you go about deciding to make something people wanted to use
>>
>>38351158
u anon
wew, any recommendations for material to read for python/c++
>>
>>38351577
The basics of what? Just read source code, write source code.

You said it yourself you don't know about networking, "security" (that's a really general term), "shells" (u wot). Then start working with those, get the TCP/IP RFC and implement a packet parser/builder. Find source code for similar bullshit (but it's probably going to be shitty code), read it, modify it, make it yours.
>>
>>38351577
first step towards this would probably be installing some flavor on non-ubuntu GNU/Linux so you can learn what a shell is.
>>
>>38351627

i wish i had a successful app m8, but i dont actually have the creativity to come up with something good by myself.

I just work in a company that builds apps for large corporations like telco and retail giants.
>>
>>38351669
>The basics of what
I figured that for something complex you needed to know about fundamentals to move on to something else. If you're getting into math you don't start with topology right?
The worm is just an idea I have of something I'd like doing, do you think that just diving in without bothering with tutorials is something you should do with every project regardless?
>>38351702
Might do that
>>
Which one of you works in a software company in the US and has need for interns next year. Gimme a goddamn internship
>>
I'm in my third year of Computer Science, and I fucking hate programming. Thankfully the college I go to also offers database related courses (development, design, etc.), which I find very interesting and fun. Any other robot here who hates regular programming but loves databases?
>>
>>38351759
That's what I always did and it worked out, maybe I'm weird.
>>
Do people here not know that it's better to take part in an existing project on Github than to do your own? You need somewhat of a team to make somewhat decent project. The only time you code on someonething on your own is when you're practicing or when you write a little hack for yourself.
>>
>>38351784
and you never felt that practice without any prior theory/tutorial to back you up was detrimental to your learning or understanding of what was going on in your programs?
>>
>>38351631
>python
There's an official python tutorial (https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html) if that's a bit too wordy and much to take in fish through youtube til you find someone you like with a tutorial
>>
>>38351777

yes I am this guy>>38350709

I don't know much about it yet but I need to learn to manage them at least to progress my career and I think of many practical uses all the time

What I'm really into is data analytics which uses databases
>>
>>38351851
Nope, I just started from reading source code, when I didn't understand some syntax or function I looked it up, then went back to it.

A debugger really helps in stepping through a program and understanding what is happening. After doing that with various projects you'll most likely actually know the language the project was written in, and if the project is not shit you'll have some idea of how programs are structured.

Then you start writing your own looking up what you think you might need if you don't know how to do something, and just keep doing that.
>>
>>38351916
Sounds like a more interesting way to learn than books at least.
>a debugger
yeah I should probably learn to use that. thanks
>>
>>38351595
Did you come for programming advice?
>>
File: helperTfw.png (73KB, 1503x1046px) Image search: [Google]
helperTfw.png
73KB, 1503x1046px
>>38345263
>tfw I was 11 in 1999. I had my first pc with Pentium 2.
>I was really interesting into programming, I learned pascal and basic C.
>There was barely any programming sources in my language that I could afford, internet was only dial-up and price as fuck, parents were peasants with no interest in new technologies.

I gave up on programming because as with everything in my life I had 0 motivation and 0 fucking self discipline.

Now when I think about it, Today I could have 18 years of programming experience. I could have nice job and afford comfy life.

I am almost 30yo khv neet.

JUST
>>
>>38345263
Because every fucking programming language/API/coding forum/whatever uses that stupid fucking flat design style.

God I hate flat logos and icons so much.
>>
>>38346817
Yes it's normal. You're going to struggle for about 2 or 3 years. After that it'll still be hard, but not as hard.
>>
>>38351886
Oh yeah I feel you, data analysis is super interesting, I recently finished a school project regarding the matter.
What is your current career?
As for an introduction to managing databases I'm sure there are a lot of tutorials online that might be able to help you. I think a lot of those tutorials use Microsofts "AdventureWorks" database, so that might be interesting to look into.
>>
>>38345263
Good point.

No idea what books or websites to start from.
I guess university site might be a good place to start.
>>
>>38347677
Why do you wear girl's clothes?
>>
File: programming socks.jpg (103KB, 900x642px) Image search: [Google]
programming socks.jpg
103KB, 900x642px
>>38352299
it's just a /g/ meme
>>
>>38352067
It's never too late to start anon.
Really.
I'm that terrible adult ADHD developper.
There's a dude at my job that's a 41yo from central africa, litterally the niggest, he started learning developpment at 39 years old and he's pretty good at it.
>>
>>38352349
Ah okay!
Maybe if I get some programming socks I'll learn to program better.

And I'll get some for my waifu.
>>
>>38352221
currently in real estate investment, but it's commission. If I manage to get database management experience it could land me a salary to go along side it which would bring me peace of mind ( and qualify me for better loans too)

thanks for the rec
I'll check adventureworks out
>>
I'm currently learning Python, I made the mistake of choosing Learn Python the Hard Way so now I realize that I have absolutely no practical problem solving skills but know syntax pretty well, which is still better than when I started at least. Should I use a somewhat higher level course that teaches problem solving or just start reverse engineering and repurposing stuff I find off of github?
>>
How do you use github? Is it helpful? What does it offer extactly?
I mostly use google for q&a when I program and directs to stackoverflow most of the time.
>>
>>38352744
Don't use github, it's a SJW infested shithole. Use bitbucket instead.
>>
2 stoopid and I'd rather learn something that doesn't involve me sitting hunched over and staring at my computer screen since I do that all day anyway.
>>
File: 1499930439610.jpg (160KB, 850x1133px) Image search: [Google]
1499930439610.jpg
160KB, 850x1133px
>>38351866
thanks anon

original origigie
>>
>>38352614
What do you mean by the hard way? And what would be the easier way be?
>>
>>38345263
/g/tard here
To program you need to be competent, it isn't just a fun thing to do like playing video games or watching TV, most robots aren't competent at all.
>>
>>38353042
It's the name of the book the guy put online. The hard way is rote memorization and copying examples exactly, which is fine at first to learn syntax but he never actually changes course and switches to teaching you to solve problems.
>>
>>38345845
don't fall for the C meme, just learn a higher level language that will actually be practical for getting a job
>>
>>38353152
What are some good problem solving programming books or resources to learn from for beginners?
>>
>>38353244
That's what I was asking in my original question.
>>
>>38353182
Is java ok? The only reason why I wanted to learn C was because all other programming languages come from c so I thought if I learn C then it would be easier to learn other programming languages.

How wrong or right was I?
>>
>>38353272
Ah, so we're in the same boat then. Check out pic related in these

>>38345837
>>38346039

They might help
>>
>>38353277
You were kinda right but it isn't really needed. I'd learn javascript (i know toddler language but whatever) or C#.
>>
>>38351452
Why don't you learn Monogame (community extended XNA) instead? It's more code focused.
>>
>>38348055
O'Reilly books are a bit of a meme but they're also unironically good.
>>
>>38348112
>tfw pure mathfag and programmer
Functional master race, brainlets.
>>
>>38353936
Yes, releasing zero software truly is the master race.
>>
Programming AKA reading stackoverflow for 9 hours a day
>>
>>38354752
>Stack Overflow
Normie confirmed.
>>
>>38354772
>not reading stack overflow
NEET spotted
>>
>>38354772
>getting anywhere without stackoverflow
beginner detected
>>
>>38353244
Java Programming: From Problem Analysis to Program Design by DS Malik is pretty good.
>>
>>38353936
Do you enjoy naking people feel like shit? Not everyone was born for that and its a slow burn that never goes away.
>>
File: angela-merkel.jpg (32KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
angela-merkel.jpg
32KB, 800x535px
>>38345263
If im not interested in something my attention span is 5 minutes same reason i failed school and lost my job
>>
File: cuck_overflow.png (131KB, 1758x874px) Image search: [Google]
cuck_overflow.png
131KB, 1758x874px
>>38354789
>>38354808
If you unironically think SO is good, then you are just another programming normie. Go back to your C++11 or JavaScript, or whatever cancer you guys do to try and make the world's software as low-quality as possible.
>>
Used to be a hobby programmer. Then all my motivation gradually drained from my life and now I'm just waiting for the courage to kill myself. I even have the noose and everything set up, all I need is that burst of willpower.
>>
>>38354941
why don't you go back to writing non functional software and being unemployed
>>
I thought of learning how but I really like learning by experience.

Though I could never find good ideas to make things.

How can I program myself out of botdoom
>>
File: 1499761698264.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1499761698264.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
Im learning c++ because it seems harder than python. I want to be a wizard and lisp doesn't seem very practical

I bought Bjarnes C++ book and going through it now. Any thoughts?
>>
>>38350781
>Lmao it's quite interesting if you got a stem degree

Explain. Explain why a degree makes a boring task interesting. Is it because your brain realises it made a huge mistake in spending thousands on a degree so it tricks you into liking it?
>>
>>38355011
You'll need more than that if you want my position, Pajeet.

>>38355064
Bjarne, as you can tell by his name, is a megacuck. Stick to C++ that humans understand. https://gist.github.com/bkaradzic/2e39896bc7d8c34e042b
>>
>>38355096
What does him being a nordcuck have to do with his book? My reasoning? If i can get through this tome with decent knowledge, Id pick up on other things eaiser. I wanted a challenge.
>>
>>38347304
>Unironically using standard library
Whats wrong with that?
Btw you mean C stdlib??
>>
>>38355189
Yeah, the C standard library is almost as bad as the C++ standard library, but C is a benign tumor. Neither of them actually help you get things you want done, though.
For example, printf is awful because it's (((unsafe))) but in the ways that actually matter, rather than memory or some other jew thing. It's just badly designed in general, too, and it takes less than an hour to write your own better print() function in C++ (NOT using iostreams, of course).
>>
Could I learn programming?

>110 IQ (actually tested).
>maybe 8th or 9th grade math level. Algebra 1/geometry is the most I can do.
>actual ADHD.
>decent problem solving skills.
>>
>>38355256
As a beginner programmer, this is all flying over my head
>>
>>38350781
Use vim man. Its cool.>>38347677
>>38347677
Where are you from??
t. mexicanon
>>
>>38355341
Start with HTML then go to Python.
>>
>>38355566
>HTML
>Programming
>>38355341
Start with python. HTML is NOT programming. Of course if you want a job as a beginner you will need that skill but if you want to learn go for python.
>>
>>38351088
I had a good chuckle. Good job.
>>
I learned a fair amount of JS and web dev over 6months, but I had to motivate myself every time just to get started/study, Feels like I can't really do it long term if it's going to be that way, especially since you have to constantly study and learn new things for your job.
>>
>>38355341
Pajeets who can barely string together a sentence can do programming - it's just all about persistence and sticking with it. Always try to challenge yourself so that you learn more.
>>
>>38355341
You should play Euclidea. It's a lot of fun.

>>38355064
Reduced basis methods are all the rage right now, and it's applicable to a lot of stuff.
>>
>>38353244
http://interactivepython.org/runestone/static/thinkcspy/index.html
https://automatetheboringstuff.com/
Might be too late for you since you've already had an introduction to Python.
>>
>>38351088
You do realize that OSX is certified UNIX and Linux isn't... Right?

You do realize that file permissions like that are on OSX (and any other unix-like for that matter)... Right?

You do realize how big of a security risk full access by default is... Right?

>Linux shell
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA

AND BTW
Most AI/ML is done by hipsters using tensorflow.
>>
>>38355602
I never said it was programming. IT works as a foundation for when you start program, especially if you're a mathlet.
>>
Don't know why C++ or C is always recommended as a first language. You're just setting people up for failure. It's why most people think they cant program. They think about memory management and other "shoot yourself in the foot tier' shit that encompasses C++ and never get anywhere outside of /g/ programming memes.
>>
I know lots of languages

I have a website with my projects and shit

One time I got a coffee cup from a fractal competition

No formal education, never made a dime
>>
>>38352809
>>38352614

Dont even worry about shithub

If u need to use shithub for something youll know
>>
>>38350357
>ignoring how memory works
>nobody can run anything at a sane speed
Where do these idiots come from?
>>
>>38345795
>But I know C
i'm sure you do pleb
>>
>learning programming by reading books
literally who does this? it's the absolute worst way to learn how to program.
>>
>>38350201

Sysadmin here.

These jobs can either be comfy as fuck or absolute nightmares depending on the environment.

The last place I worked had 3 of us doing the job of 10 people, supporting a tech-illiterate user base with demanding bosses who wanted the impossible.

On the other hand, I barely do any work at my current job.
>>
>>38346817
Make a simple project like a calculator in the command line. Switch to a simpler language like Python or Java, C is not for beginners.
>>
File: 1491605147284.jpg (38KB, 208x330px) Image search: [Google]
1491605147284.jpg
38KB, 208x330px
>tfw program for a living
>>
File: 1499596860664.png (14KB, 530x512px) Image search: [Google]
1499596860664.png
14KB, 530x512px
>>38345263
GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARD YOU FAGGOTS SHIT PISSERS
>>
>>38346966
>If you finish K&R, you'll have good basics
K&R is a reference book, you don't "finish" it, you just learn the things you want to learn.
>>
>>38345373
Depends on the program. In my CE degree I really only learned the basics about programming. Most of my education was more Electrical Engineering based (think circuits, signal analysis, transistor level physics, computer architecture, etc.)
>>
>>38346966
Object oriented programming is garbage. You don't have Cat: public Animal or Car: public Nowwhat in real life programs.
Also C++ ist not at all object oriented, classes are just structs with implicit first parameter and hidden method table for virtuals.
>>
File: 1473885724063.jpg (145KB, 1920x1541px) Image search: [Google]
1473885724063.jpg
145KB, 1920x1541px
>>38345263
because im dumb and cant amount to anything.
>>
File: 1491243709622.jpg (19KB, 262x274px) Image search: [Google]
1491243709622.jpg
19KB, 262x274px
>>38358366
>you don't have objects in real life programs
>>
>>38358450
You don't have reading comprehension.
>>
My best advice for those wishing to program is to ignore any advice you get about programming from 4chan.
Thread posts: 304
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.