[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: minimalistroom.jpg (36KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
minimalistroom.jpg
36KB, 620x412px
I'm about to go off to college at a well-respected school, and I can choose to study anything I'd like. My ideal job is a relaxed and comfy one where I won't have to deal with people all the time, I have potential to work overseas, and I make at least enough money to get by.

Any ideas? Also general college/uni thread.
>>
>>38337495
You should study Computer Engineering then.
>presumably 100% employability
>high pay (unless you're a code monkey, AKA just a programmer)
>needed literally anywhere, everywhere
>get to work with 4-10 people at most
>office work
Are you good with maths and logic?
>>
>>38337558
Isn't that over-saturated at the moment? I passed my Calculus class with little effort, but I'm not really "good" at math like a math major is.
>>
>>38337495
>I'm about to go off to college at a well-respected school, and I can choose to study anything I'd like
You can get the fuck out of here you fucking faggot, how about that?
>>
>>38337601
I'm sorry anon, did I strike a nerve?
>>
>>38337495
What can I do with a microbiology degree? I just want to be a lab tech but keep getting niggered into a marine biology plan. I also wanted to work crime lab but niggas want phd, 10 years experience in same lab or 2 years unpaid training
>>
real talk: study whatever you like, but aim for something you think you will be able do without trying too hard.

you learn zero actual skills at college. your major does not matter one bit in the future except as a bit of trivia to share with someone you've just met. all that matters is that you meet important people (not just random idiots in your classes, though they can be useful too) and, most importantly, secure internships.

i'm dead serious. the only thing you should be trying to do in college if you are trying to have a career in anything is finding and completing internships in the area of your choosing. this is the only way you will get a real job once you graduate, and its the only way you'll meet and connect with relatively powerful people in the line of work you have interned in.

don't do what i did
i went to an ivy league school and had a great time, got almost all As, made a lot of friends, even stuck around and got a masters because i 'had the talent' and had nothing better going for me.
now i'm 24 and have no actual job prospects and i can't even get a minimum wage job because i'm overqualified.
i bought into the meme that you should follow your interests and live life while you're young etc. when i should have been slavishly securing my future, but i didn't, and now it's too late.
don't be like me

get your shit together now before it's too late.
>>
go study software engineering at the university of waterloo.

we're all robots
>>
>>38337609
yes, you are clearly a normie and should just stay on your normie network instead of coming to ours. absolute fucking faggot

>I'm
>I
>My
>I
>I
>I

Please just end yourself
>>
>>38337558
n-no but I want to do it
>>
>well respected uni
And what is that
>>
>>38337646
How do you meet people? I hear this all the time but have no clue what it entails other than speaking to the professor.
>>38337702
Narcissism is one of the key traits for outcasts. Also, you're the one using the word "normie", normalfag.
>>38337720
University of Georgia. Laugh if you'd like, it's good enough.
>>
How hard is it to find a qt bf in uni?
>>
I just got in a fight with a class mate, I just did the old crazy act and scare him back to his chair lol.
>>
Stay off of this website maybe? This shit destroyed any chance I had at making friends in college. How fucking stupid are you that your asking anons what to study. The first guy told you computer science and you took him seriously. Even I wasn't this fucking stupid going into college. I say neck you you're are selfs
>>
>>38337740
by "people" do you mean classmates/friends or, like, internship/future people?

you make friends the same way you would anywhere else. i know a shit ton of people who went to UGA, you'll be fine as long as you aren't mr. autismo in real life 247. there are plenty of weeb clubs and other weird shit to do, and if you don't want to do that. just remember that for the first few months, people are actively trying to make friends, so go along with it.

my only real piece of advice if you just want to meet friends is to become cool with smoking weed (if you aren't already). freshman stoners are friendly by necessity, since they need to know where to buy weed and are always on the lookout. in my experience, those people also tend to be the kinds of dudes who mostly want to hang out inside playing video games, so it's a pretty painless social entry point for a neet.
once you become 21, you'll also be able to get into all the bars and venues in athens and meet people that way. if you can find someone who will make you a fake, most of the bars don't really look that hard.

if you mean "how do i meet future connections for a job," you will hear about internship opportunities from professors (if you ask and they like you) as well as from whatever UGA's equivalent of career services is (they probably have a whole building, go in and ask someone for available internship opportunities and they'll hook you up). then you find a few that sound good, read up, apply, and repeat the process til you land one.

once you get one its all about figuring out who they want you to be and becoming that person. have you got an internship at some weird place that envisions itself as cool and hip and trend-savvy? become that guy. have you ended up at a place where men in expensive suits will silently judge the way you've tied your tie while you stand next to them in the elevator? learn a more intricate knot. it's not hard to "make connections," just read your boss and adapt.
>>
>>38337889
I meant the latter one, but thanks for posting both. Honestly, I probably won't be ready to make friends until a few months in at the least, but I will at least go and check out a few clubs just to keep myself from losing all social skills.
>>
File: firmhandshakeman.jpg (40KB, 612x408px) Image search: [Google]
firmhandshakeman.jpg
40KB, 612x408px
>>38337495
"Whatever you do in life, you've gotta work hard at it, Champ. But every journey begins with that first step. And that first step usually involves showing up, speaking with the manager, handing him your resume, and giving him a firm handshake."
>>
>Well respected college
>University of Georgia

These nigganons are funny
>>
>>38337589
>Isn't that over-saturated at the moment?
That depends. It is true that Computer Science and Mechanics are saturated. That's why you have to be an engineer, so you get to be the one to design the stuff and not just be employed like a regular programmer which can be imported cheap from India.
That being said, literally anything requires a programmer nowadays. Whether it's for designing a website for a client, or designing an operative system for a calculator, phone, interface or an application. I'd say you shouldn't worry as a programmer, but you have to be good at it.
>>
Bump

>>38338583
Not sure where the problem is. It's stupid to go to Tech unless you're certain you want to do STEM.
>>
>>38337495
You're about to get bitchslapped in the face with hard cold reality and you will hate your life.
>>
>>38338583
UGA actually isn't that bad, all things considered. tech is obviously better but you have to drink the STEM kool-aid pretty hard to convince yourself its worth it

as far as public universities in the south go, UGA and UNC-chapel hill are pretty much top of the class. UT-austin if you count that. UF isn't bad either.
>>
>>38337495
Go stem, particularly engineering. Petroleum engineering pays great, but will require you to live in the no alcohol middle east or tar sands north dakota. So consider that.

Don't do a liberal arts. Take as many lib arts classes that you want, hell double major in it if you fancy that. But make sure your diploma is BS, not BA.
>>
>>38337495

Anything. I'm fucking serious. What you actually learn in college/uni doesn't actually matter much if you just want a comfy life.

The whole point of uni is to make connections then use that as a platform to get employed. A lot of the shit they taught at my uni was useless wrt the actual job.

Which is why being a robot fucking sucks because YOU CANT MAKE CONNECTIONS. If you're a robot DONT GO TO UNI, STAY AT HOME DO SOME OBSCURE COMPUTER SHIT AND MAKE MONEY THAT WAY. USE UR AUTISM SUPERPOWERS AND DO SHIT ONLY AUTISTS CAN DO DONT WASTE YOUR TIME IN UNI REEEEEEE
>>
File: penguin3.jpg (50KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
penguin3.jpg
50KB, 960x960px
>>38337495
>>38337558
I heard computer science is a very math oriented degree, but what kind of math? If it's statistics I'll be fine, but if it's shit like algebra and polynomials then maybe not so much.
>>
>>38338832
Can't be much worse than high school
>>38338890
Does that mean I get to live in a nice shack in the middle of nowhere? Or is it strenuous work under shitty conditions?

I've thought about becoming a Locomotive Engineer before, but it looks like work there is competitive.
>>
>actual good advice itt

Regarding CS degrees, many of my Ivy League peers are having trouble getting jobs, I have one because of my internships and side projects. SV cost of living is killing me though.

Make friends with well connected people. Maintain these relationships after graduation.

If you are Asian-American and short, forget securing a light eyed white female for the purposes of companionship, invest in sex tourism instead.
>>
File: ss (2017-04-26 at 08.03.09).png (569KB, 928x751px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-04-26 at 08.03.09).png
569KB, 928x751px
>>38338940
People who say programming is full of "math" are just normies who have never written a line of code.

Programming is just pure logic with a set of rules you just have to get used to. It's all about the "if this then that" logic and true/false comparisons. You can look up Discrete Math if you want to give yourself an idea. Basically no numbers involved.

However, Computer Engineering does require you to learn math. Don't ask me why though, I failed that degree.
>>
>>38339090
Pardon the stupid question, but can you explain the difference between IT work and programming?
>>
comp sci or it?
>>
>>38338871
You're forgetting two other North Carolina schools my friend
>>
>>38339086
>Can't be much worse than high school
Oh my sweet summer child.
>>
>>38339194
duke and wake forest are both private
>>
>>38337495
I'm studying Forensic Investigations so I can be a Computer Forensics Investigator later on.
The pay is high, if you're already depressed as fuck and don't care about much, all the fucked up shit you have to see won't really bother you and the teams you have to work in are quite small since the job is pretty specialized.
>>
>>38339230
Go ahead, then. Explain how it's worse.
>>38339260
Is it true you're required to watch CP as part of the training?
>>
>>38339260
is there actual demand for this kind of work?
>>
>>38339314
Mostly because it requires a lot more effort.
It's also much harder socially. If you're a robot it's likely that you'll end up all alone for the whole time.
>>
>>38339251
You're starting to piss me off. WOLFPACKs my boy.
>>
>>38339343
Ehh, makes sense. At least the classes look interesting, and you get the chance to study abroad.
>>
>>38338804
I wouldn't agree completely. Although computer science is becoming a more popular domain it's really what you make of it. Like you said; "don't aim for becoming a regular programmer". The art of CS is to master conceptual processes which can then be applied effectively to techniques in order to invent a useful process. And it would be incredible to form connections between these simple processes to create an intertwined web of communication in an efficient manner. It's not so much the grind of coding (although you have to know this quite well), it's more the logical thinking and the exploration and research of new and improved technology.
I personally am very interested in this domain and can't wait to start my Uni course. It'll be a lot of grinding cause I'm not the best at maths, but I think I'm motivated enough ro push through.
>>
>>38339316
If there are pedophiles and terrorists, there will always be demand for it.
>>38339314
I don't know if you need to for the training but I know you sure as hell need to on the job.
>>
>>38337495
Get a PHD in gender studies anon, When the feminists take us over there will be lots of jobs.
>>
>>38340052
I did laugh when I found out my college offers a degree in gender studies. Apparently that's less of a meme than I thought.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.